The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 398541 times)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #390 on: September 29, 2006, 08:00:42 PM »
wow fritz!! we were in greece at the same time (i lived near the AFB in glyfada). of course i couldn't buy wine, but could climb a tree to reach the figs. ;) aaahh, souvlaki.... retsina does have a unusual flavor. i like the italian apertif, "campari" and that's also an aquired taste.

for those curious about the wine, here's what i found on wikipedia:

Retsina is a Greek resinated white (or rosé) wine that has been made for at least 2700 years.

Its unique flavor is said to have originated from the practice of sealing wine vessels, particularly amphora, with Aleppo Pine resin in ancient times. Before the invention of impermeable glass bottles, oxygen caused many wines to spoil within the year. Pine resin helped keep air out, while at the same time infusing the wine with resin aroma. In time the practice of adding resin to the fermenting must have flavored the wine even more strongly, and apparently kept it better preserved.

The Romans began to use barrels in the 3rd century AD, removing any enological necessity for resin, but the flavor itself was so popular that the style is still widespread today. It is perhaps the most commonly-drunk wine in Greece (though not equally popular in all its regions), and, given its strong flavor, is best served with the strongly herbed dishes characteristic of Greek cuisine and Mediterranean cuisine in general.

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #391 on: September 29, 2006, 08:21:31 PM »
Neat, Jimmy!

And love your avatar!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2006, 09:06:10 AM »

i'm curious to know if there's a recipe for another type of hot breakfast cereal, perhaps even one that is not sweet, but savory. i thought of maybe something with polenta, which could be studded with mushrooms and cheese...but that's not very breakfasty.

PPS: our microwave DIED the other day. i do not think we will get another one....

Have you ever had Malt-o-meal? Cream o Wheat? Cornmeal mush? Coco wheats?  Midwestern staples all of them.  Coco Wheats over vanilla ice cream is a sinful way to start a lazy cold Indiana day...

I have grown fond of Kashi pilaf prepared with half water half apple juice.  Served warm with vanilla yogurt, fresh (sweet) berries, sultanas (golden raisins) and honey.  Very filling and the kashi is a complete protein and high-fiber.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Desecra

« Reply #393 on: October 01, 2006, 01:52:23 AM »
Breakfast cereal that isn't sweet?  I haven't seen porridge mentioned.  You can use oatmeal or porridge oats, depending on taste.  Make it with water and salt, and add cold milk while eating. 

If it's a cereal type thing, I don't see any reason why you couldn't have something like couscous or bulgar wheat for breakfast - maybe I'll try that sometime.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #394 on: October 01, 2006, 02:28:13 AM »
heidi, i haven't even heard of coco wheats!! puffs yes...  but it sounds chocklitty. ;) no, what i want is something savory, like the indian corn pudding, but i guess most breakfast cereals are enhanced with sweet stuff.  now, i haven't tried porridge, but that's funny because at dinner my friend said he felt all porridgy inside,,, i guess somebody on project runway used that term recently...  i'll google porridge, since i'd never had that either.

PS: i'm craving greek marinated octopus for some reason! :D ;D  or the octopus marinated in the miso sludge that the japanese eat, or grilled baby octopus sprinkled with lemon juice. i'll even settle for kalamari,,, i want tentacles! :D

Desecra

« Reply #395 on: October 01, 2006, 02:32:30 AM »
I did a google and this recipe is the closest to porridge as I know it:

http://www.retrofoodrecipes.com/traditional_porridge.html

Sadly we don't get top of the milk these days now we're all drinking lower fat milk from cartons :(

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #396 on: October 01, 2006, 12:47:27 PM »
heidi, i haven't even heard of coco wheats!! puffs yes...  but it sounds chocklitty. ;) no, what i want is something savory, like the indian corn pudding, but i guess most breakfast cereals are enhanced with sweet stuff.  now, i haven't tried porridge, but that's funny because at dinner my friend said he felt all porridgy inside,,, i guess somebody on project runway used that term recently...  i'll google porridge, since i'd never had that either.

PS: i'm craving greek marinated octopus for some reason! :D ;D  or the octopus marinated in the miso sludge that the japanese eat, or grilled baby octopus sprinkled with lemon juice. i'll even settle for kalamari,,, i want tentacles! :D

poop!  I just read that as testicles and snorked soda all over the keys!

"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #397 on: October 01, 2006, 01:11:45 PM »
That too.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #398 on: October 01, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »

Try making the Kashi Pilaf with vegetable broth instead of water...I add dehydrated mushrooms (I buy the big jar of them at Costco) and maybe some onion and/or garlic....it's very savoury with the veggie broth and if you cook it until it's very soft it gets a creamy texture...
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Bobbie

« Reply #399 on: October 02, 2006, 06:48:02 AM »
Heidi, the pilaf sound yummy.  Must try.

Well I made the Pumpkin Curry and basmati rice Gnash mentioned earlier in this thread.  It was delicious, but I think I changed it a bit.  I added quite a bit of curry and apples along with the mango.  My mangoes (hehehe) weren't quite ripe and I needed to add some sweetness to the dish so I added apples.  It was very rich, which I was surprised about. 

I've started preparing the 'weekly' recipes from one of Martha Stewart's many endeavors "Everday Food."  I love the little magazine (fits nicely in my purse) and they provide the shopping list for the weekly recipes which is very convenient.  I'm the Queen of convenience and ease.  If it ain't easy, I probably won't even try.  Tonight it's Cod fish with roasted potatoes, olives and grape tomatoes.  I'll see how that works out.

R

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #400 on: October 03, 2006, 06:28:04 AM »
Some food related pics from the London get-together!

A Full English Breakfast - the sausage is nicer than it looks, according to my hubby. Behind it is the Vegetarian Full English Breakfast, with hash browns and vegetarian sausages that taste like the meatballs they used to serve at school when I was a kid. That is not a good thing, sadly. On the right is a glimpse of the American Breakfast, consisting of bacon, eggs, and pancakes with maple syrup in the little bowl. That sounded icky until I remembered one of my old favourite dishes, bacon pancake, which is just what it sounds like: you put slices of bacon in a dish, let it fry in the oven until it's done, then pour pancake batter over it and bake the whole thing. You end up with a big, rather thick pancake that you eat with lingonberry jam, and it's such a nice mixture of salty bacon, sweet (but not too sweet!) jam and soft, bland pancake. Loaded with protein and fat, it's bound to taste good!

On Sunday, I went to Brick Lane with Chapeaugris - a great place, I've never been there before. These pics are from a Bangladeshi supermarket that stocked everything, and in abundance - just look at the shelves in the background! After doing our shopping, we had an excellent dinner in a restaurant nearby and talked into the evening...I've never known hours pass so quickly as they did this weekend.

Okras! For real! A small amount is currently biding their time in my fridge...

That's Chapeaugris with short hair, me in the cap, and so many lovely spices!

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #401 on: October 03, 2006, 05:15:10 PM »
laurentia --- that is such a great set of pics! that breakfast looks great, tho i've never heard of BEANS with eggs in the morning. what a way to fuel your day! heheh... i'll have to try it, it seems the brokeback thing to do.. ;)  oh wait -- i have beans with eggs whenever ordering huevos rancheros...

the greasy pancake sounds interesting too, one dish cooking is appealing because there's less wash up! of course i'd have to drain the bacon before adding the batter, lol.

OKRA at last, well aren't you clever!! and it looks so fresh. it's found at our local indian market as well.  don't let it keep too long, it'll brown before you know it, on the inside too. so wash, cut (and wash the slime off your fingers hahah) and cook it soon! the green melony vegetable below the okra looks interesting, i've seen it at the market but dont' know what it is -- a type of squash, a melon? i'll have to ask them sometime.

and you're right -- the shelves are stocked to the gills! looks fantastic. lol, you're wearing a HEATH cap, i see.... that's hot. :D

bobbie ---  wow that's great you tried the pumpkin curry, and adding apples sounds like a good idea! i guess when it's cooked down it's all mushy and sweet anyway.. ;) :D  mmmm that fish dish sounds yummy. martha stewart rocks, she's such a domestic goddess!

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #402 on: October 03, 2006, 08:12:10 PM »
Ooooh!  THose pics of English Breakfast bring back memories of Irish Breakfast!  (which is virtually the same thing but served a few hundred kilometres to the west...)
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #403 on: October 03, 2006, 11:54:44 PM »
Yep, Full English Breakfast, it's protein with protein on the side...not really my thing, I must say, I like bread-based brekfasts more, but at least I've given it a try now!

Hmm, what did J&E have for breakfast up there on Brokeback? The book mentions coffee and biscuits, but that sounds rather scrawny for someone who works outdoors all day, doesn't it?

Part of the idea with the bacon pancake was that the batter was supposed to fry in the grease from the bacon, so if you drain it it might stick...then again, the last time I had bacon pancake was before the first time I saw a teflon dish  :)
The Brits have a dish called Toad In the Hole, which has fascinated me for years because it sounds so weird. I mean, Toad In the Hole? In London, I took the opportunity to ask one of the British forumites what it was and it seems to be similar to the bacon pancake, but made with sausages. You put them in an oven dish, pour pancake batter over them and bake. Variations on the same theme.

Thanks for the advice on the okras, gnash! They had lots of funny vegetables in that shop! Chapeaugris and I found something that looked like pieces of the stem from a giant flower, or the trunk of a small tree, maybe two inches in diameter, green on the outside and very porous inside, like it was made from a bunch of white drinking straws. The pieces were about two feet long, we should have taken a photo, because they looked really alien.

(Is that a Heath cap? I have to start wearing it more often!!  ;D)
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #404 on: October 04, 2006, 07:51:18 AM »
ACK!  I thought Toad in the Hole was an egg fried in a hole in teh middle of a piece of toast!

"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com