The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 498086 times)

Casper

Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 09:37:05 PM »
renforde, "Brokeback Mountain" haunts many.  There has never been a movie like it.  Welcome!  :)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 12:34:06 AM »
RENFORDE...

this is essentially a private message, which i have posted in case you don't know how to pick up your private messages.

i hope we will see you on your journey through the pages and pages of this website.  there are many many threads with which you will find things and people to relate.

i hope you will stop in at a couple of my favorites  gay and gray~over 50 after brokeback, and auntie's 24 hour diner   
http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8753.0

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8830.0

for different reasons and the same, i have been on your journey.  i hope to hear from you.

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 07:05:42 AM »
Renford,

I'm still clearing away the bricks.  And my story has a happy ending!  But your retelling of the parallels between your life and the movie have me crying into my coffee.  Your story needs to be here too:

BBM Changed My Life - Or It Will
How Brokeback affected me

Or at least I encourage you to go here and read what others have said in outpouring and in encouragement to others.

You will find catharsis and healing.
Welcome to the forum.  This is a safe place to talk about what others around you might not understand.  I hope you'll join in with us and continue the BBM experience.

Heidi
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline renforde

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 07:36:53 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks indeed for the warm welcome - I'll try to figure out how to transfer it to "changed my life or it will" - but to be honest, it's not the story - it's only what I have identified as the background, to the story.  I have no idea yet how this film (4th time last night...) will make the changes:  right now I feel like a cat in a washing-machine - on "Spin"....

RFD

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 08:29:13 AM »
that's hair raising  :o ;D
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 08:39:52 AM »
that's hair raising  :o ;D

Good thing he didn't put a rabbit in there!  :D

(Can't resist!)

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

ForeverTao

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 01:17:40 PM »
Hello everyone,

What a good place this is! Glad to have found it. I haven't been in a forum or posted anything personal in almost 8 years, ever since I left Compuserve back in the 90's! Although the net has always been an integral part of my life since the early 90's.

I happened to see Brokeback Mountain yesterday morning when I was alone at home. I didn't expect anything, heard some acclaims about it and such but didn't give it too much attention. I don't lead a "gay life" any more and I feel no compunction in keeping up with gay things as I used to do when I was younger. Not that I'm old (mid 40's).

The film left me empty though, bringing me back to a place I thought I had done and dealt with years ago. I guess not! I didn't break down or anything, too jaded, perhaps, but instead felt this great silent place in my heart, and I had to get on line to see what was being said about it.

The official site was good with many messages there, I must have read hundreds, before I decided I wanted to say something about it too. Like I said, I don't get into forums and chats any more. Eventually I found this site. I've been reading through it since last night and, before I knew it, I had written 'my story'. I had never written it down before. Talked about it, thought about it but never written it down. Finally I posted a version that I hope isn't too long! Once you get going, you just keep going. Sorry about that. 

I tend to be fairly level-headed, at least, that is my reputation, but this touches too deep to gloss over.

Thanks everyone,
ForeverTao
(Victor)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 01:49:16 PM »
Welcome to the Dave Cullen forum, and thanks for posting your story!

Hope you stick around, and post more!

Casper

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 10:28:33 PM »
ForeverTao, I can sense your re-awakening when you saw "Brokeback Mountain."  Welcome!  :)

Offline LSky94

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 03:09:02 PM »
ForeverTao,

Thanks for sharing your story with us.  The film is so well made and the story so powerful that it touches people on so many levels.  It brought forth a lot regrets unhealed in many; things never completed, people we can never have back, opportunities missed, and on and on.  There is nothing we can do about the past "there are places we can never return" but that doesn't mean we can never heal from where we've been either.   I suspect, as you say yourself in not the same words, that maybe you didn't really heal when you thought you had "moved on."  That isn't to say that one can totally forget where he or she has been; no, healing isn't about forgetting or erasing the past, it is about being at peace with it.  I hope the friendships you develop here will help you to do that.  I relate to what you say about leading a "gay life" but at some point I realized that by leading "my" life, I am leading a gay life too because it is part of who I am.  I encourage you to participate here more, there are many here who "get' what you feel.  Thanks again for sharing, and best wishes to you.

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 09:15:11 AM »
Boy this is a strange one, why should a book and film affect me in such a way that I need to find a forum to express it?  I knew when I read the book that I didn't want to see the film, but my partner bought the DVD and we sat down to watch, it's a very happy relationship of 24 years and I have no reason to align myself with Jack or Ennis other than empathy.  I can't get this film out of my head (a tribute to Ang & Annie). All the loves that "could have been" not me but for others, that's the sadness. I don't think I want to see it again, at least not for a while. But I'll be back here.... at least to try to exorcise this feeling of loss.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »
Welcome, naxman!

Glad you found us!

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »
Boy this is a strange one, why should a book and film affect me in such a way that I need to find a forum to express it? I knew when I read the book that I didn't want to see the film, but my partner bought the DVD and we sat down to watch, it's a very happy relationship of 24 years and I have no reason to align myself with Jack or Ennis other than empathy. I can't get this film out of my head (a tribute to Ang & Annie). All the loves that "could have been" not me but for others, that's the sadness. I don't think I want to see it again, at least not for a while. But I'll be back here.... at least to try to exorcise this feeling of loss.

Well,well....hello there my friend...no need to explain how silly you feel....'cuz you're not. Glad you found us...please do lurk around we won't bite....(well,maybe a couple will)...ha ha ha.....join us for a bite to eat at Auntie's Diner and all the wonderful threads available....enjoy many new friendships hon.....

Nellie :)
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline DKG

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 04:35:25 PM »
I've been lurking on these threads after finding the forum (thank God!) when I saw BBM for the first time in mid-January and knew I needed help desperately.  I have enjoyed reading everyone's input immensely.  They have certainly helped me to cope.  I finally registered, then after a while, decided to share my thoughts and feelings.  I saw BBM 30 times in the theatre before it left NYC for good in early April.  Since I don't have a DVD player at home, I knew my last viewing would be just that -- the last time I would see it on the big screen -- and I kept reminding myself of this with every scene.  I remember when the last two words on the screen, and I might add, two of the most magical words in the English language (when used together) -- BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN -- scrolled up at the very end, then stopped mid-screen and stayed there as Rufus Wainwright held on to the last note of his haunting song.  Then simultaneously, his voice was no more and those two beautiful words disappeared, the screen went black, the house lights came on, and I was the last audience member to leave.  Back to reality.  This movie has devastated me.  I thought I would eventually heal, then move on.  Life does, but I haven't.  I think about BBM constantly.  Where ever I am, I often tear -- even in public in broad daylight.  Sometimes I've cried softly and briefly at my desk, catching myself in time before my co-workers do.  I've often thought that owning a DVD player might not be a good idea for me.  Imagine, retreating to the privacy of your home to watch BBM, crying afterward, shutting out the world.  Not very healthy.  Not a wise thing to do.  I'm very happy to read that "feverites" who live in the same city, town, or geographical area are getting together and doing things.  That's great!

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 04:47:34 PM »
I've been lurking on these threads after finding the forum (thank God!) when I saw BBM for the first time in mid-January and knew I needed help desperately.  I have enjoyed reading everyone's input immensely.  They have certainly helped me to cope.  I finally registered, then after a while, decided to share my thoughts and feelings.  I saw BBM 30 times in the theatre before it left NYC for good in early April.  Since I don't have a DVD player at home, I knew my last viewing would be just that -- the last time I would see it on the big screen -- and I kept reminding myself of this with every scene.  I remember when the last two words on the screen, and I might add, two of the most magical words in the English language (when used together) -- BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN -- scrolled up at the very end, then stopped mid-screen and stayed there as Rufus Wainwright held on to the last note of his haunting song.  Then simultaneously, his voice was no more and those two beautiful words disappeared, the screen went black, the house lights came on, and I was the last audience member to leave.  Back to reality.  This movie has devastated me.  I thought I would eventually heal, then move on.  Life does, but I haven't.  I think about BBM constantly.  Where ever I am, I often tear -- even in public in broad daylight.  Sometimes I've cried softly and briefly at my desk, catching myself in time before my co-workers do.  I've often thought that owning a DVD player might not be a good idea for me.  Imagine, retreating to the privacy of your home to watch BBM, crying afterward, shutting out the world.  Not very healthy.  Not a wise thing to do.  I'm very happy to read that "feverites" who live in the same city, town, or geographical area are getting together and doing things.  That's great!

Hello New Yorkan...I'm from Chicago...and welcome to our family,

I saw the movie 8 times in the big screen. Played hooky from work and all. Shameful I thought at first. Cried at my desk too. One time I got busted and I actually scared the person away. Rumors went around the whole floor that something was wrong with Nellie..God how embarrassing. Everyone was so nice to me for a couple of days...ha ha ha...was great.!! To this day,I can not watch the whole movie at home. I stop half way . Don't know why. The last time I saw the movie completely ,it put me in such a weird mood that I didn't want to feel like that right now...but I'll tell you something...speaking from experience as you can see the number of posts I have...it really really helps by talking....never enough . I'll watch the whole movie eventually...it'll pass and it will get better...I promise you that.

HUGS

Nellie :)
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !