The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 501543 times)

calgaryactor

Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 09:44:55 PM »
I can't get this film out of my head (a tribute to Ang & Annie). All the loves that "could have been" not me but for others, that's the sadness. I don't think I want to see it again, at least not for a while. But I'll be back here.... at least to try to exorcise this feeling of loss.

Welcome to the forum, Naxman - you've fallen in with a motley crew, but I think you'll enjoy us.

I have an idea where you're coming from.  Though I am totally happy in my relationship of 11 years, the film brought back aching memories of a relationship I experienced that was very similar to Jack and Ennis'.  It was a relationship that could have been magnificent, if only he'd been able to come out.  In the end though, he wasn't, and I moved on.  I'll always carry a spot in my heart for him; I'll always be thankful for all that the experience taught me, and will always wish him well.

On another note - it was cool to see your signature / avatar photo of Andy Warhol.  I'm a serious Warhol-o-phile myself, having written and performed a one man play about Warhol for a travelling exhibit for The NY Museum of Modern Art, and remounting it for The Vancouver Art Gallery.  Any stories to tell about your interest in The Pope of Pop?

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 01:44:53 AM »
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome, reading the posts I see a lot of similarities about, loss, the yearning for what might have been, even though some of us can't quite put our finger on the cause.  I think it boils down to the sadness of missed opportunities whatever and wherever they are or were.  One can be in a happy and stable relationship with the love of your life and still be affected.  Emotion is a strange thing, it can tug at you for no reason or many,  I see many posts about healing, opening up the whole can of worms, self realisation, admission and facing up to reality.  This is a good place to drop whatever it is we are carrying, examine it and move on hopefully stronger. I think most of us understand that when people say time is a great healer they are wrong - the pains we have are just as strong, we just learn to live with them and cope.  The truth is most of us don't want to give up that pain as with it comes the pleasure of remembrance, bittersweet isn't it. Part of the learning to cope with it means facing it - so here we all are!  There is strength in laying someting to rest.

As for my avatar I like Warhol, he was very much an individual and looks better than I do ;D

Offline ChrisW

• Ma Untwist
  • Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 01:53:18 AM »
This was written in 1992. The only time in my life I got poetic. The events referred to happened before 1969.
The quotation was a poem I saw on the train going to work every day at that time.

"on a beach in Crete
I found a smooth stone
Which in every respect
resembled my heart.."

Today my heart is like the sea
Always gently moving
not very often at peace.

I gave you my heart
When I was too young
To know what I was doing
And so I never told you.
And now, I think you did something similar
And so you never told me.

My heart is not a smooth stone.

It is soft and vulnerable.
It cannot be totally broken
It can be mended
And it will not hurt you.

What I gave to you
I cannot give to anyone else
Nor can I take it back.

I suppose you can give it back:
- but you would have to do that.

I would like you to keep it.

Like everyone else, this film has got me good. I went to see it to help me understand my gay son, but you won't be surprised to hear that the person I understand better is myself.

I want to thank everyone involved with the film, book and forum for all their amazing insights.

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 02:09:48 AM »
montezumae

I loved your poem it took me back not just to Crete but to another place too! I hope you publish it.  As for understanding those close to us - just love them, with love comes understanding.

NAX

Offline DKG

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2006, 10:40:04 AM »
Thanks, Nellie, for welcoming to the family.  I feel better already!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2006, 02:39:18 PM »
The only time in my life I got poetic.

I think you should "get poetic" again!
Very nice.

I've read a few amazing pieces of poetry on various forums here.
I see another forum book in the future:
"Brokeback Poetry"

...and someone also suggested a cookbook from the recipes thread:
"No More Beans".

Again, thanks for sharing that.

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2006, 05:10:39 PM »
Thanks, Nellie, for welcoming to the family.  I feel better already!

Sweetheart...come on and visit us around at Auntie's Diner...did you post a picture of yourself?..Have you gone to the "How Brokeback Affected Me" threads..I hope you are finding everything okay.

Nellie :)
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2006, 05:57:11 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I am a brand new member, but i have been lurking for months because just when i thought i had something to add, discuss, introduce, etc.,  i found that others had said it better, briefer, funnier, more serious, let's face it better, so.....i lurked and lurked!

That being said, i have so enjoyed everyone's input that i couldn't restrain myself any longer, especially when you all started the book club. I am a voracious reader and ..."here i am."

Don't have to add how BBM has affected me -- i have the DVD, book to sceenplay, and the sound track on CD. Can't tell you how much i have watched, played, read it all. Love, love, love it and all of the members' comments which had me chuckling outloud late at night.  Feel like i know you guys personally.

Kind of afraid about formatting the replys, quotes, boxes, etc.. though.

Pleased to meet you!
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline belgianboy

• Getting Acquainted
  • Jakin' off ever' chance I get...
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2006, 05:59:32 PM »
Hi all--

Finally getting around to introducing myself here. The mods keep clamoring for me to jump in, so now you get my life story! Have been too busy writing fanfic (and occasionally doing my job too), so don't get over here a lot. But I've visited Dave Cullen's wonderful forums since September, when I first became aware of BBM. Didn’t even know what slash was until October, but I scoured the forums for whatever I could find, and the rest is history.

Once I saw the preview for BBM last August (shocked the hell out of me--I had never heard of it, didn't know who Jake and Heath were, etc., and didn’t that change in a hurry! pant, pant …), I read the story and was just devastated. I'm in a real long-term relationship, and BBM brought back those early days of discovery and obsessive love that he and I experienced—and that we will never experience again. While he was touched by the sadness of it all (saw it a second time only because I made him), I was caught up in the romance—how it all began, just the fact that whenever they were together over the next twenty years, they had a passionately good time.

Nonetheless, I wanted to ditch my man, my job, my life and move to Wyoming. I was feeling very much trapped (mid-life crisis, maybe), and the oddest thing is that ultimately BBM empowered me to deal with that. In observing what happened to Jack and Ennis because of their decisions, especially Ennis, who thought his course in life was set in stone, I started to view my life more objectively, especially concerning my partner. This was rather disconcerting, because suddenly I felt that if I wanted to walk out, I could. If I thought it would be the best thing to do, I could actually do it. No one was stopping me. Not the sort of thing you talk to your lover about, is it? But it meant that if I was trapped, it was my own doing and so I could undo it.

In addition, writing offers me a great emotional release, but I’ve had no real incentive to do it until becoming part of the BBM community. I’d never even looked at blogs or forums before, and I’ve found many online interactions to be so rewarding!

Despite all this empowerment, however, the movie had me worried. I was so concerned about my response to it that I made sure I knew as much as possible before seeing it the first time. It didn’t matter—it was a beautiful, well-crafted movie, and while I thought I would be sobbing in the aisle, it wasn’t like that at all. I did remember every line, however, and played the scenes out in my head day after day after day. The second time I saw it, I nearly burst into tears every time Ennis was feeling or showing emotion. The third time, it was the music that did me in. Of course I had to download the score ASAP and then buy the soundtrack, and that first chord still paralyzes me. The fourth time, I was worried that the key lines in the movie might actually be too melodramatic and laughable. But then I remembered “Gone With The Wind,” and I thought, so what?

A major benefit has been learning about the actors’ and director’s craft and interactions, just coming to realize what goes on between casting and the screen. For some reason, Jake just seems like a pro in real life, so I can imagine him doing the incredible things he does in BBM. The range he has to play is astounding, in my opinion. To this day, however, I have a hell of a time placing Heath up on that screen as Ennis. As Annie Proulx herself said, he got it down better than she did. I still find his transformation amazing, although I know that was his job. I am so impressed by both of them, by the women as well, and of course Ang Lee.

Anyway, as an option to watching the movie over and over, I’ve resorted to writing. That first scene in the tent inspired me to write a fanfic with the urgency of that action. It was meant to be just another story, but a reader requested the second night, and how could I resist? That second night is so open-ended, so romantic compared to the first, that I had to try it. Appropriately, it turned out to be a longer story, giving me the chance to refine the interior, psychological approach to Jack and Ennis that I thrive on. After that, I had fun more or less “cataloging” their sexual education that summer, with the stories largely playing Ennis’ reservations against Jack’s confidence. It's a challenge to play the field between hormonal sex and emotional sex/love, and try to sneak in a little humor too. I enjoy reading the other fics that do that in addition to having good plots.

I’m now into another significant period, the four-year reunion, which has got several chapters churning in my head (three of which have been disgorged, thankfully). Fortunately, I believe the men’s emotions would run the gamut from passionate love to hostility as they try to reconcile their intentions and circumstances, so I’ve got plenty of food for thought.

Finally, I’ll say this, since I mentioned wanting to run away: being Belgianboy has brought stability to my life and is well worth the effort. For one thing, sex is getting more … um, fulfilling, shall we say, as I find it increasingly difficult to separate reality from my stories. The husband don’t mind neither.

I love being part of all this!

Belgianboy
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 06:07:55 PM by belgianboy »

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2006, 06:00:31 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I am a brand new member, but i have been lurking for months because just when i thought i had something to add, discuss, introduce, etc., i found that others had said it better, briefer, funnier, more serious, let's face it better, so.....i lurked and lurked!

That being said, i have so enjoyed everyone's input that i couldn't restrain myself any longer, especially when you all started the book club. I am a voracious reader and ..."here i am."

Don't have to add how BBM has affected me -- i have the DVD, book to sceenplay, and the sound track on CD. Can't tell you how much i have watched, played, read it all. Love, love, love it and all of the members' comments which had me chuckling outloud late at night. Feel like i know you guys personally.

Kind of afraid about formatting the replys, quotes, boxes, etc.. though.

Pleased to meet you!

Nikki hon...don't be shy...we are so friendly...as you know I'm sure. Just post all over and get to know us...So glad you decided to post.

Take care,

Nellie :)
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2006, 06:08:48 PM »
Welcome Nikki & BelgianBoy!

It's good to have you both here!

Offline broketrailer

• Getting Acquainted
BROKEBACK TRAILER vs CRASH TRAILER
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »
Hey all- I'm a vigin to this site but I already love it!

Wanted to let you know that within the movie trailer industry-- there is a big award show happening next month.  In the category of Best Drama Trailer- Brokeback Mountain and Crash are both nominated again.  MSN is doing a "public" voting competition. 
Here's the website:
http://movies.msn.com/beacon/editorial10.aspx?ptid=20068f06-a376-4b82-b065-86be62fbe7ba#anc_MSN_KeyArts_Drama3

please post this link- and ask EVERYONE to vote for the Brokeback Mountain trailer!!! I'm pretty sure it's between Brokeback and Crash again-- and I don't want Crash to win again!!! Thanks a lot! It would be so great if we could get a campaign going for this.  These awards "Key Art Awards"- are a big deal in the Hollywood Movie Marketing arena- and we want to have more movies like Brokeback Mountain made!! Also- it was very brave of Focus Features to market the trailer so directly.  A lot of movies like it are "hidden" in the marketing campaigns. 
Thanks!!!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2006, 06:50:22 PM »
The only time in my life I got poetic.

I think you should "get poetic" again!
Very nice.

I've read a few amazing pieces of poetry on various forums here.
I see another forum book in the future:
"Brokeback Poetry"

...and someone also suggested a cookbook from the recipes thread:
"No More Beans".

If you have more work you'd like to post, or just want to read the work of other members, we have a place to post poetry, called "Deep Thougths and Poems".

Here is a link to the thread:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=3482.0

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2006, 07:13:41 PM »
thanks Cellerdweller and Nellie for your warm welcome.

There was some instruction sheet from Dave somewhere w/instructions about formatting, etc.  Is it still around for downloading?

Look forward to getting to "talking" to y'all.

Nikki
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline belgianboy

• Getting Acquainted
  • Jakin' off ever' chance I get...
Thanks ... and thanks
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2006, 09:04:54 PM »
Yes, thank you, non-virgins, for the welcome!

And a thank you to Broketrailer above for the link to the movie marketing contest. I always find these peripheral aspects of moviemaking to be fascinating, things I otherwise might not think about.