The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 498188 times)

Offline tcolors

• Experienced
  • It's me
Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2006, 09:53:57 AM »
Hi all,

I'm not really neeeew but, I'd like to say hello to all!

First off I found out about BBM through googleing Heath Ledger. I love him as an actor. After finding out about BBM I drove my co-workers crazy until I got to see it. Which was in Jan. 29th/06. I bought the first ticket! I went back twice after that. Which includes the last showing the theater had. I actually got into trouble with my boss for having a pic of Jake in my desk. He told me to get rid of it. I did.........and replaced it with a stick figure wearing a cowboy hat! He was annoyed, I loved it! He went to a company convention and the comedian they hired was Jay Leno......well, he joked about BBM. When my boss returned to work he made a statement at our meeting saying "No more talk about BBM"! I was laughing.

Anywho, I'm 40 and single at this point. I was in a 12yr relationship that my partner ended (I can't blame him). Since then I have been on my own. I started dating a married guy. I know, I know, but his wife knows he's gay. She will not give him a divorce. After meeting me and dating for a few months he filed for one. She was gonna take everything. ( I had the whole story here but thought I'd better take it out. We live in small Townes and I'd hate for anything to happen to him due to me.) We only talk and go to lunch every now and again since. His child has about 2 more years of school. My friend has gotten to the point that after his child graduates he doesn't care what his wife does to him, he needs out. I don't know if we'll be together after his divorce. I'd be willing to date, but who knows? I haven't sat around waiting for him, and he asked me not to, said it would be unfair of him. He could've asked, but I wasn't just gonna sit around waiting, and I would have told him that. I have told him of every guy I dated and told every guy I dated of him. I'm not one to just jump in the sack, so, unfortunately (perhaps) my relationships with these gentlemen didn't last long. Which is fine by me. I just think there's more to a relationship than sex. Sex is an important part but not a defining factor.

My friends have called me naive. I tell them I'm 40........I think the word is stupid now! lol. They say my relationships (for lack of a better term) don't last because I don't put out. If that's the case so be it. I'm fine, and I can wait ( I think?). Although,  not to many shopping days left till Christmas lol. Hopeless romantic?, you bet! I'm not mushy though!

I gave a copy of BBM to the friend I spoke of above. Knowing he'd never go see it. I wanted to see if it would move him in any way. When I asked him what he thought. He didn't say much. Which tells me (because I know him so well) he was touched. I'm sure he saw alot of him in those characters. Again, he doesn't necessarily have to be with me. Just be happy, that's all I want for him. So if he finds happiness in me great. If he finds it in someone else, I'll be disappointed but very happy for him.

When I watch BBM I don't cry. The movie fills me with strength. It stirs a longing in me that I know I'll complete. Even if I don't, I'll know I didn't settle and remained true to myself. So I can be happy in whatever life throws my way. I was stagnant in life before watching BBM. Since my BBM experience I've busied myself with making changes to move forward with life. I don't plan on missing a thing. Everything that happened to me in life to this point has made me the person I am. So I treasure every past experience good or bad. They complete me.

Thanks for reading!
Look of Love Just a fun video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD-VuQf5cEQ

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2006, 10:32:17 AM »
nice writeup tcolors...

perhaps you might like to peek in the gay and gray thread where we are discussing much the same thing, perhaps from a perspective 10 years further down the road.  and you used my most important personal insight, which many have "heard" me say.  it has taken every experience in my life to make me the man i am today.  without learning from them i would be less.

welcome,

jack 
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2006, 10:34:17 AM »
ennisdaughter...

welcome, and thank you for sharing a bio many of us are hoping to emulate, and your joy of "living in love".

jack 
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline glassrobot

• Experienced
  • You want mercy?! I'm Chaotic Neutral!
    • lj/glassrobot
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2006, 01:34:56 PM »

Well apparently i never bothered to scroll down to the bottom half of the page with all the forum listings.  Ooops.

A little late, but here I am.

I'm from Queens, NY. Graduated last May a degree in anthropology but am now doing freelance web production/graphic design.   I'm saving up so I can go on a few excavations experience under my belt before I apply to grad school (want to get a masters). 

In my spare time....which is a lot since I'm still trying to find full-time work, I play computer games and watch those forensic FBI shows on the Discovery network.  And read fanfiction (anime, mainly and some LoTR).   I drink too much coffee and iced tea and not enough healthy things like water or orange juice.   I have 2 cats, 1 sister, and a boyfriend.  The boyfriend may be up for adoption.
I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high and life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2006, 02:07:34 PM »

Well apparently i never bothered to scroll down to the bottom half of the page with all the forum listings.  Ooops.

A little late, but here I am.

I'm from Queens, NY. Graduated last May a degree in anthropology but am now doing freelance web production/graphic design.   I'm saving up so I can go on a few excavations experience under my belt before I apply to grad school (want to get a masters). 

In my spare time....which is a lot since I'm still trying to find full-time work, I play computer games and watch those forensic FBI shows on the Discovery network.  And read fanfiction (anime, mainly and some LoTR).   I drink too much coffee and iced tea and not enough healthy things like water or orange juice.   I have 2 cats, 1 sister, and a boyfriend.  The boyfriend may be up for adoption.

Welcome home!

Is the boyfriend neutered ;D

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Gonzo

« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »
The boyfriend may be up for adoption.

Welcome home!

Great come back.   ;D ;D

Offline john john

• Obsessed
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2006, 02:37:43 PM »
Great come back.   ;D ;D

Thanks TB, I couldn't resist!

Offline glassrobot

• Experienced
  • You want mercy?! I'm Chaotic Neutral!
    • lj/glassrobot
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »

Errm. Hmmm, well not physically. Philosophically ......?
I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high and life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving

Offline john john

• Obsessed
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2006, 07:54:33 PM »

Errm. Hmmm, well not physically. Philosophically ......?

Oh!

Offline Ellemeno

• Virgin
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2006, 01:26:28 AM »
Hi Everyone, I live in Seattle, I've seen BBM a mess o' times, and I've been obsessed since October when I first read the story and got on IMDb. 

Since the IMDb troll wars, I've been living cozily at BetterMost.net, which is wonderful, but so enjoyed the exuberant people I met tonight from this board at the Castro BBM screening in San Francisco, that I am visiting here too. 

Ellemeno

Offline LSky94

• Expert
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2006, 02:10:02 AM »
Welcome, Ellemeno.  Amazing how a film can bring so many people together isn't it. 

B73

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2006, 08:40:58 AM »
Ellemeno:  Welcome to the Dave Cullen board!  I prolly saw ya sometime yesterday but don't recognize you by your handle.  Yeah, it's a good board, no? 

Gonzo

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »
What does ellemeno do first thing in the morning???

pee   ;D ;D ;D

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
  • I'm not kissing you, I'm whispering in your mouth
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2006, 11:00:50 AM »
Hello ellemeno!!  I am so jealous you went to the Castro screening :D!!  I live too far away and don't know if it will ever play in my area again :'(.  Welcome to the board!
"How many times do you have the chance to experience the love of your life?"
"The hope of a great love is one of the strongest driving forces in life - if I had it within my sights, I can't imagine letting it get away for any reason" Sienna- Boys of Blue Ridge

Offline jen_i

• Feet Wet
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2006, 11:07:55 AM »
At last I feel brave enough to register.  I am a long-time lurker.  Since early February, I have been spending hours here each day, reading thoughtful and insightful posts that have added tremendous depth and richness to my experience of the Brokeback Mountain film and story and related topics.
Having no experience with this sort of thing and a long-time reticence about internet chat-rooms, I am surprised to find myself drawn repeatedly to this vibrant forum.  It is irresistible to me to find people who freely discuss very complex ideas that are frequently of little interest or simply off-limits to most people I know.
I have recently read some outstanding books (The Charioteer, On Becoming a Man) and seen outstanding films (Maurice, Burnt Money, Before Night Falls, among others) based on recommendations I found here, and I am working my way through many more.

I am a 45 year old straight woman, wife, mother of two fantastic teenage daughters, and I have everything I ever wanted: a nice home in a safe suburban neighborhood with parks, a library, good schools, friendly neighbors, in the SF bay area where I grew up.  I have been working in biotech research for over 20 years in order to support myself and my family.  My husband is the best imaginable--his sister has said he is in "in touch with his feminine side".

Yet still I find something missing in my life.  I am currently  dealing with recurrent depression that's been bad enough to keep me home from work, a classic case of burn-out and mid-life crisis.  The discussions here are helping me feel part of something larger than myself, to feel a part of the greater human condition.  Perhaps it sounds corny but I don't know how else to explain it.  I send sincere thanks to all who have created this place and been part of its growing community.  I'm working on composing a few posts to start out with.  Hopefully I, too, can become a part of this community.
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.