The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 501559 times)

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2006, 10:47:49 AM »
howdy all
I'm Andy from the UK and have been a member a while now but these last months have done not much more than lurk. Have been blessed by the many varied imputs here and like many who had noone to share with, have greatly appreciated the comments and well wishes of so many.
I thought that my initial heart ache was truly receding as time allowed me to understand the story/movie better and welcome it as a friend untill....I discovered the fan fic section of this amazing site. Having read a good few of these fascinating works I find myself a jibbering wreck as all the 'might have beens' and 'fill ins' have caught me up in their various continuations of our beloved story.
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2006, 10:49:57 AM »
Didn't mean to post that yet........

Offline aliceathome

• Two of Three
  • Obsessed
  • Grumpy Old Baggage
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »
Hey Andy. Tell me about it - I've been caught up in slash for the past week and can't get out (hell, don't want to get out). Work's going all to hell though, hah.

"Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon"    Annie Proulx

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2006, 11:43:39 AM »
what does slash mean?

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2006, 11:53:13 AM »
Hi Andy and welcome!

Slash is a type of fiction written by fans, also called, appropriately enough, fanfiction, involving two characters from a work of fiction or from real life, such as Jack/Ennis or Jake/Heath. The word "slash" comes from the slash punctuation between the two names. The type of fiction either exclusively or overwhelmingly involves characters of the same sex. The genre started in the early 70's when, with fans mourning over the lost of the original Star Trek series, started writing about Kirk/Spock getting involved in various romantic encounters.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2006, 12:23:06 PM »
OK, thanx for that. :)

melissasjack

« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2006, 07:17:01 PM »
Hi Andy, many many welcomes!
I live over in Slash land myself, its a joyous, sometimes heartbreaking but always rewarding place to be...please come visit us, and post...I promise you'll have a lovely warm welcome!!
Melissa

Offline PatSinnott

• Obsessed
  • You 'n Alma... That's a life...?
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2006, 09:55:56 PM »
One of my interests that I can't find on a thread (like slash).....  BBM ART!

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country"- Edward Bernays, 1928

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2006, 01:08:38 PM »
Welcome, Andy! I also live in the slash thread. It's odd how we don't tend to leave it much. Fanfiction is highly addictive. As is the slash thread.
"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannonballs and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2006, 02:09:03 PM »
One of my interests that I can't find on a thread (like slash).....  BBM ART!

Pat - someone - I think Nick F - tried to start a "Fan art" thread a while back but it didn't stick (not enough posts)  maybe it's time to start that again?
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline PatSinnott

• Obsessed
  • You 'n Alma... That's a life...?
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2006, 03:23:43 PM »
Yeah, I think it's time.  I have seen a lot of images, for example cover art for fan fics, and there is one live journal site for bbm artists.  It's somewhat recent and not much posted on it.  There would have to be parameters about file sizes, etc.  I need more info, as I'm not as much a computer tech as an artist.  ;)
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country"- Edward Bernays, 1928

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2006, 10:19:08 PM »
Hi.  ;D

A fanart thread is a great idea! You can start your own threads here

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

then, if people are interested, I'll move it somewhere - probably Laughs.

I suggest that you specify that it should be artists posting their own work, because lots of artists don't like their work to be posted without specific permission.
let be, let be

Offline AHappyMan

• Obsessed
« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2006, 12:12:07 PM »
Hey All,
I guess I'm coming late to the BBM party! Story of my life: always a late bloomer.
My name's Rick, I've posted a little here and there, mostly on the scene threads.
I'm getting my "How Brokeback Affected Me" post together, but wanted to stop
in here and say hi.
I'm a digital artist working in the film business, but I live outside Phoenix. I've
always loved movies and art, and BBM proves that those two things aren't mutually
exclusive!

Here's a shot of one of our boys running away from one of my digital paintings (!)
from "Day After Tomorrow".  ;D

Rick

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2006, 12:20:44 PM »
A fanart thread is a great idea! You can start your own threads here

Done!
http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=11891.0
"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannonballs and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2006, 12:22:18 PM »
Rick! Nice to meet you! That is hilarious. I love it.