The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Ennis and Cassie Scenes  (Read 120043 times)

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
Re: Scene:Ennis and Cassie
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2006, 09:05:34 PM »
I suddenly realized why I dislike Cassie so much.

Another of Annie Proulx's Wyoming stories, "A Lonely Coast" (published in Close Range, with Brokeback), describes three rather desperate Wyoming divorcees who aren't getting any younger and who are looking for sex in all the wrong places from all the wrong men--some of whom are even worse choices than Ennis.

Whether they did this deliberately or not, McMurtry & Ossana depicted Cassie as another of these women: provocatively dressed, sexually agressive, and totally clueless about the objects of her affection.

In her Wyoming stories, Proulx's stresses over and over the isolation of her characters, their desperate need to connect with some one else, and their utter lack of social skills to get the job done.

Cassie is a typical Proulx Wyoming woman. But I feel she wandered into the  Brokeback movie from another Proulx story
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline westexer

• Experienced
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2006, 06:29:44 PM »
Hey y'all, coupla things:

1) Go over to tha Alley Scenes thread and read about the choice of music used when Jack is in Mexico pickin up the prostitute.  It was definitely specifically chosen for that scene.  The lyrics for the Spanish song are posted in English.  Special thanks to someone bilingual for pointin this out.

2) The thing that struck me tha most and still does about the Cassie scenes is when she takes him onto the dance floor.  His posture is totally closed.  Hands jammed in pockets, lookin at tha floor, and shufflin like he's kickin dirt around.  The visiona shame.  I have danced with men in gay bars who felt bad about themselves and what they were doin and they danced exactly the same way.

3) It woulda actually taken internal mental pressure offa Ennis to be associated with a local woman.  Everybody watches and talks in a small town.  Ennis is a paranoid.

4) Finally, I think the scenes with Cassie really did add to tha story.  It really allows the relationship with Alma Jr. to be more fully explored.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 06:35:13 PM by westexer »

Offline fishinbuddy

• Experienced
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2006, 12:41:16 AM »
I found the whole Cassie thing mostly pointless and tedious. But there are a couple of points which do emerge from it. One is that Ennis has realized he can't be in any kind of relationship where he already knows he can't give his heart, which he knows belongs only to Jack. I think his last meeting with Jack and his terror at hearing Jack hint at being unfaithful, how torn up he was when Jack even mentioned wanting to know how to quit him, and most of all, hearing the pain in Jack's voice and knowing he was the cause of it (when Jack is talking about being on a short leash. When Jack says, You have no idea how bad it gets, we see Ennis's turned away hat begin to shake. Ennis is trembling because he feels his lover's pain and knows he is the cause), Ennis is bound to keep himself true and only for Jack. And this indicates movement on his part after all this time. He won't date anymore even though he needs a 'beard' more than ever. He will be only for Jack. Finally, some incremental movement, which offers the first hope in years that maybe they WILL have a future together. And then Jack dies.
When I feel that lonesome prairie wind, I let my soul get back to you again...I will never let you, I will never let you, I will NEVER let you go!

Offline bkm

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2006, 10:54:33 PM »
i think the ennis and cassie see is a parrel to the randall and jack seen. cassie states that girls don't fall in love with fun. i think this is a set up that any relationship between jack and randall is really not going to result in a true and lasting love just as the one between cassie and ennis

Offline westexer

• Experienced
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2006, 12:04:05 PM »
i think the ennis and cassie see is a parrel to the randall and jack seen. cassie states that girls don't fall in love with fun. i think this is a set up that any relationship between jack and randall is really not going to result in a true and lasting love just as the one between cassie and ennis

I think that's a really good observation, Friend.  I think the two sets of scenes balance each other and form a pair, just as most everything in the entire movie is paired up that way.

Offline phlmale

• Experienced
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2006, 05:57:04 PM »
I really appreciated the expansion of the Cassie character in the screenplay....to see her approach to bring Ennis out of his shell...so similar to Jack on the mountain...and Ennis' dancing early on when he first met Cassie in the bar...gotta love that choreography

Cassie's character also helps to emphasize how much he was withdrawing from life overall....that bus depot scene, alone with the piece of pie, is so moving..and the pain on his face when he sees how hurt she is...

it was also interesting to hear both Alma and Jack question Ennis about not finding someone to marry again..reminder from both sides about his failed life plan.

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2006, 09:14:20 PM »
it was also interesting to hear both Alma and Jack question Ennis about not finding someone to marry again..reminder from both sides about his failed life plan.

Ouch.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline troyman

• Feet Wet
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2006, 02:21:00 AM »
I searched the thread, but didn't see anything about this -- it's technically not a Cassie & Ennis scene, but it's Ennis talking about Cassie.

Did anyone else laugh out loud when he was telling Jack about "putting the blocks" to Cassie?  Right after that, he mentions that "she wants to go to nursing school."

It took me out of the movie for a second, and the friend that was with me leaned over and whispered ("yeah, in Chicago 20 years from now").

Offline Ross:Broken

• Obsessed
  • If you don't like it, fix it.
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2006, 06:41:04 AM »
I searched the thread, but didn't see anything about this -- it's technically not a Cassie & Ennis scene, but it's Ennis talking about Cassie.

Did anyone else laugh out loud when he was telling Jack about "putting the blocks" to Cassie?  Right after that, he mentions that "she wants to go to nursing school."

It took me out of the movie for a second, and the friend that was with me leaned over and whispered ("yeah, in Chicago 20 years from now").

Ha ha, I never made that connection.

The part that I find funny about that scene is that he says she wants to go to nursing school "or something."  Nice boyfriend, Ennis.  Obviously, he's been barely paying attention to her.  Of course, it's not so funny when they meet up over that nice piece of pie.
...got me good.

Offline angela_toronto

• Feet Wet
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2006, 07:37:30 PM »
i went for the sixth time today, and once again, more details jump out at me.

when ennis first met cassie, she asks him what he does.  his answer was that today he castrated calves, causing her to (understandably) flinch. 

i wonder if that was his way of subconciously telling her that he was not the man to satisfy her sexually.  he liked her, they probably got on well as friends, but sexually he was not "all there" for her.

also, i think his relationship with cassie was vital to the story.  it demonstrates that he has given up trying to maintain a relationship with a woman; his future would be with jack or to be alone.

Offline angela_toronto

• Feet Wet
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2006, 12:46:36 PM »
i believe that alma jr's line is "you're good enough".

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2006, 02:18:52 PM »
The part that I find funny about that scene is that he says she wants to go to nursing school "or something."  Nice boyfriend, Ennis.  Obviously, he's been barely paying attention to her.  Of course, it's not so funny when they meet up over that nice piece of pie.

I wonder how many times that piece of pie (or what was left of it) had been pushed around the plate.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline Ross:Broken

• Obsessed
  • If you don't like it, fix it.
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2006, 02:23:28 PM »
I wonder how many times that piece of pie (or what was left of it) had been pushed around the plate.

It looked like he had been workin' on it since the last fishing trip.
...got me good.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2006, 05:25:40 PM »
I posted this in opening scenes and will toss it in here as well.

I think the dance scene with Cassie is a parallel scene to Jack and Ennis meeting.  Cassie and Jack both introduce themselves first, but with Cassie, Ennis, after a pause after saying Ennis, he remembers to say Del Mar. Ennis follows both Jack and Cassie. As another poster pointed out, when Ennis follows Jack to the bar he is behind him almost trying to mimic his steps (like a dance). Both Cassie and Jack get to know Ennis over a drink in a bar. They talk about their professions and how bad it is (Cassie serving drinks and Jack on BBM the summer before). They both do most of the talking and draw Ennis out by asking him personal questions.

There is a very studied contrast to these scenes as well. With Cassie, the song "It's So Easy to Fall in Love" is playing on the jukebox. Cassie sticks her feet right in Ennis' lap and tells him she wants a foot rub. Cassie gets to dance close to Ennis in a public bar. She can be aggressive and forward where Jack has to be careful and coy. In just minutes after meeting him, she can inhabit Ennis' personal space in public in a way Jack will NEVER be allowed to do. However, Jack does get to light Ennis up in the bar the first time they meet. We get the impression Cassie never does.   

As for the "earlier today I was castrating a calf" and how that fits the parallel between the scenes, I will let someone smarter than me figure that out.

Offline Cowboysnkisses

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2006, 10:08:25 AM »

As for the "earlier today I was castrating a calf" and how that fits the parallel between the scenes

Well, Pete, in that bar scene with Ennis and Jack, they're both talking about their childhoods.  Although it doesn't become fully evident until later just how gruesome an experience it was for both, they were both males with yearnings for other males who were shown in no uncertain terms that such feelings were regarded by those around them (including most importantly their fathers) as incompatible with masculinity.  One need only think of the emasculating effect such experience can have on the developing gay male psyche to have a figurative analogy with "castrating calves."
Now we know why Oscar is not anatomically correct.

The Cosmos: If Ernest Borgnine had a brain, he wouldn't use it.