The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Ennis and Cassie Scenes  (Read 120042 times)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: Ennis and Cassie Scenes
« Reply #585 on: September 19, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »
Ennis said he'd been putting the blocks to a woman who worked part-time at the Wolf Ears bar in Signal where he was working now for Stoutamire's cow and calf outfit, but it wasn't going anywhere and she had some problems he didn't want.

I wonder why the screenwriters took this one line and made a character out of her for the movie.  To show that Ennis was fucking women, while Jack would be shown, in the next scene, to be going to Mexico to fuck men?  It blurs the line even more re: Ennis being gay...

This part of the sentence - it wasn't going anywhere and (s)he had some problems he didn't want - could also directly be applied to Jack...   :'(

I believe the character of Cassie was the object of debate a while ago, as to whether or not she actually existed in the original short story, or if she was a lie that Ennis created to make himself appear straight.  As for it blurring the lines of Ennis being gay, I believe that it falls to each viewer and how they feel about it.  I always took it as another sign that Ennis was unwilling to accept his homosexuality, instead of him being bisexual or gay.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
Re: Ennis and Cassie Scenes
« Reply #586 on: March 27, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »

I believe the character of Cassie was the object of debate a while ago, as to whether or not she actually existed in the original short story, or if she was a lie that Ennis created to make himself appear straight.  As for it blurring the lines of Ennis being gay, I believe that it falls to each viewer and how they feel about it.  I always took it as another sign that Ennis was unwilling to accept his homosexuality, instead of him being bisexual or gay.

I agree. I always saw Cassie as being a way for Ennis to try and deny his true sexuality, of course it didn't work.  I felt sorry for Cassie, she seemed like a genuinely nice young woman.