The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Canadian, eh!  (Read 262590 times)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
Re: Canadian, eh!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 03:27:59 PM »
Me and Darcy Tucker!  lol

FUNGURL

Offline atruant

• Obsessed
  • Brokeback is STILL affecting me......
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 05:05:56 PM »
Hey everyone, Adrian here from Vancouver.  Born and raised in beautiful Calgary, but, am attending UBC medical school in Point Grey.  Hope you're all doing well, and I think this is totally cool that we have this thread - but don't be surprised if alot of them Yankee boys and girls come snooping in from time to time - they like to be where the action is!  BBM is still playing out here in Vancouver in about 10 theaters, so, am going to go and see it one more time this weekend on the big screen.  Where's everybody from and what does everyone do for a living?  Maybe we outta plan some kind of BBM convention right in BBM territory ;)

Hey Adrian, great to see you over here. I wanted to say thanks for your mass of Gylly pics in Jake's Eyelashes thread, but couldn't get a word in edgewise amongst all those straight women!! Hehheh, not that I have anything against straight women - I have many as close friends. Anyway, your pictures and commentaries about Jake are bang on. Hope I'm nearby when you meet him, eh?!

You asked what we're doing. I'm a couple of years younger than Jack and Ennis and grew up in their time frame, all over the place as my dad was a fighter pilot in the Air Force. I then became one myself and remained pretty thoroughly closeted in the military for 35 years, until around 2002. I'm now retired in the Comox Valley, lots of friends, no partner, two gorgeous dogs and am working on the closet bit. I've made one friend in Victoria whom I met through the internet, another in Powell River. Throughout the paranoia of being caught as gay in the 60s and 70s (Ennis really rang true with me here) I did manage to have a Brokeback type relationship, thankfully without a death! He's married (I could never marry) but we're planning a get together out here this summer, just the two of us. We have the magnificent Comox glacier to serve as our Brokeback Mountain! Come on over and we'll go hiking!

Visiting the filming areas around Fort MacLeod would be fun. A fellow and his partner in another thread (just forget his handle) have already smooched in the stairwell below the door where Alma was watching! Minus the fireworks, apparently, but meaningful to them.

All the best in your med studies, gotta be a footslog. I know the chances of meeting Gylly are next to zero, but I do hope we could have Guiness or two sometime!

Cheers,
John
John and Chuck -
Ennis and Jack got us together.

Offline Brunel

• Feet Wet
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 07:52:25 PM »
Hey Canadians!!
So happy to see so many of us round here.  By the way, in 1992 I drove from Montreal (with an ex:  Don't ask)  all the way to Vancouver.  Got to see how beautiful this country really is.  I also went to the 1990 Gay Games in Vancouver.  I would like to go back especially after seeing BBM.  All I need to complete the picture, is a cowboy.  But I guess that shouldn't be hard to find  ;)
I never went east though...although I heard from many people how pretty PEI is. 
As I mentioned before, I am gonna go see BBM friday.  I was very happy to find out it was still playing.
John or atruant:  Sorry for my ignorance but where is the Comox glacier? 

Offline Caroline

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2006, 09:02:39 PM »
Me,Canadian, eh??

just love this thread... so grat, yeah, Tucker is MY MAN.... and if you don't know that then you are not Canadian EH??? not TODD, etc.... I am here too....

wow, what a great thread'

;love it
How strong a person is can be measured by what it takes to discourage them.... church sign, Trafalgar Rd, Georgetown, Ont Canada.. 01/30/2006

Offline Adrian

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
    • Hollywood Forums Online
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2006, 02:05:37 AM »
Me,Canadian, eh??

just love this thread... so grat, yeah, Tucker is MY MAN.... and if you don't know that then you are not Canadian EH??? not TODD, etc.... I am here too....

wow, what a great thread'

;love it

Don't be knocking the 'Bert now, thought you MODS were supposed to be all about fair game and equality for all - haha ;)

As for the Guinness John, sure, sounds like a plan, only thing is, still recovering from my Guinness'over from last Friday night - but - hey, always open for another excuse...;)

Tucker, he's ok - but he sure aint a Naslund (oh oh - here it comes) or a Cloutier ;)

Offline Brunel

• Feet Wet
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2006, 07:27:38 AM »
I'm really really sorry but I have no idea who Tucker, Cloutier or Darcy are...  Hockey players or Tim Horton's employees???  :-[
I know José Théodore but only cos he's reaaaally cute. 
Am I know banished from this thread? 

Offline Brunel

• Feet Wet
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2006, 07:30:28 AM »
I'm really really sorry but I have no idea who Tucker, Cloutier or Darcy are...  Hockey players or Tim Horton's employees???  :-[
I know José Théodore but only cos he's reaaaally cute. 
Am I know banished from this thread? 
I meant to say:  Am I NOW banished from this thread?  How embarrassing...

Offline atruant

• Obsessed
  • Brokeback is STILL affecting me......
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2006, 10:10:17 AM »
Hey Canadians!!
So happy to see so many of us round here.  By the way, in 1992 I drove from Montreal (with an ex:  Don't ask)  all the way to Vancouver.  Got to see how beautiful this country really is.  I also went to the 1990 Gay Games in Vancouver.  I would like to go back especially after seeing BBM.  All I need to complete the picture, is a cowboy.  But I guess that shouldn't be hard to find  ;)
As I mentioned before, I am gonna go see BBM friday.  I was very happy to find out it was still playing.

Salut Brunel. I used to live in Orleans, east of Ottawa, not far from Montreal.

Re the Comox glacier, if you look at map of Vancouver Island and go half way up on the east side, you'll find the cities of Comox and Courtenay. Just west, along the mountain range through the middle of the island, is the Comox glacier. A kms north you'll find the Mt Washington ski resort, a wonderful area which now has over 400 cm of snow depth. The resort is a 35 minute drive from Comox. I have a mid-week seasonal pass (we call it the old farts pass) to miss the multitude of skiers on the weekends.

Adrian will back me up when I say the during this time of the year, you can ski in the morning, make a 2:00 PM golf teeoff time and go sailing after supper.

Cheers,
John
John and Chuck -
Ennis and Jack got us together.

Offline Adrian

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2006, 01:32:44 PM »
Hey Canadians!!
Adrian will back me up when I say the during this time of the year, you can ski in the morning, make a 2:00 PM golf teeoff time and go sailing after supper.

Yea, and in Vancouver, you can do that all year - as long as your caddy carries your umbrella for yea from November to February ;)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 02:28:55 PM by adrian »

Offline Rob.

• Obsessed
  • ...it should be like this, just like this, always!
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2006, 02:23:36 PM »
best to use terminology such as "Flames" "Jerome" "Canucks" "Markus" or "Todd" - haha - those terms work just fine! 

Also acceptable, (But none Canadian) is  "KINGS", "Jake" and "Ken" used together. And "Adrian" is always an added plus.

;)

Bertuzzi eh?  He's from Sudbury (Or Sludgebury as we affectionately call it).  At least he's a step up from Savage :)!

Used to have friends in Comox Valley - of course - that was back in the mid 80's - haven't talked to them in ages though.

Oh ya - another Ontarian (Obviously)

Rob
.....Nothin never come to my hand the right way.

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2006, 07:34:35 PM »
Glad Brunel spoke first about the hockey theme that was developing here. For gosh sakes, I may be Canadian, but I'm Gay! What do I know about hockey.  ;D

Honestly - I'm glad this thread brings together those that are Canadian and those that want to be to talk about anything!

I like John's idea to introduce ourselves (to whatever extent we feel comfortable). So...

I'm in Winnipeg, a widow(er) [as some of you already know my Partner passed away last year], a Lawyer, a gardener, a pet owner [a dog, Chelsea, and three aquariums], a son, brother, uncle, great-uncle, friend.

I started this thread because I wanted to create a forum for Canadians to meet. There are a lot of great threads going on, but sometimes I get lost in them, so the selfish part of me brought me here.

And I'm VERY GLAD that all of you have come here too :)

Regards

Dan
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 08:26:38 PM by phrag3 »

horo04

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2006, 08:07:06 PM »
Hello all...good to see a Canadian forum.  I'm from Calgary,getting sick of the fog and snow and love the movie!  Here is an intereseting link to all who want to see the filmed sights.
http://www1.travelalberta.com/Stories/index.cfm?action=display&storyID=180#Detailed%20Movie%20Maps

Offline Rob.

• Obsessed
  • ...it should be like this, just like this, always!
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2006, 08:10:02 PM »
And I VERY GLAD that all of you have come here too :)

Regards

Dan

Pleasure to meet ya Dan !

I'll post more about me in the morning - when I get back from work (Boneyard shift for me - always liked that name  :D )

Rob
.....Nothin never come to my hand the right way.

Offline OkeyDokey

• Getting Acquainted
  • I swear
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2006, 09:12:34 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a 23 year old male and I live in beautiful Edmonton, Alberta. Twice a year I head up to Fort Mac to work. I joined this forum because Brokeback forced me to confront my own fears, where I'm going in life; I'm glad I took a chance and saw it in the theatre. It's consumed me, and it's the first movie that made me question my direction in life. It opened my eyes to what true love is. Now, I'm not about to head off to the bars to try to find it, but I do know that if I ever find it - I will not let go of it. It cut me inside and made me think of all the men I've hurt.

I grew up in redneck small-town Alberta so I can identify with the central conflicts alot.  I know what it's like when "someone looks at ya, suspicious, like he knows" and I never came out until I loved to the city. Gays in my town got beat up if they couldn't defend themselves. Makes me mad, but there's not much you can do. I'll tell ya that it made my day reading comments from straight people that had the same profound effect on them from Brokeback.

This is without question the greatest film I've ever seen. I like that it transcends what people who haven't watched it call a "gay cowboy" movie, into a tangible film about true love and stinging regret.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 09:15:42 PM by OkeyDokey »

Offline Adrian

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2006, 11:02:41 PM »
Hey OkeyDokey, thankx for sharing that man, I totally know how difficult Alberta can be - I have a lot of cousins and relatives that live in the smaller towns, and seriously, you wonder if those people even know what 'gay' is.  It's a little scary that it's 2006 in most of the world, but, in some places, it's still 1950.  Alberta has that element to it, I love it, but, for someone outside of the 'norm', it isn't the best place you could possibly be.  Best of luck to yea buddy, and trust me, it gets easier with time.   ;)  Adrian.