The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Weather phenomena  (Read 294816 times)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: Weather phenomena
« Reply #1095 on: February 17, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
Well damn, I wish I was!  I want snow!!!!

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1096 on: February 17, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »
C'mon down to NoVa, Chuck!

The forecasts for the next couple of days are all over the place!

I'm hoping for not too much snow on Sunday morning, so as to get to church without much problem.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1097 on: February 27, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
Much different this winter in the midwest; no comparison really to last years snow fall.   My area has had a total of three small snow falls this season, with the total of all three together of perhaps 8 inches.   We are going to end February mild, and actually have a chance of strong t-storms tomorrow night late.

March is always a lively month here.   I can't remember a year that we haven't had tornadoes in the area at some point in March.
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1098 on: March 16, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »
It seems 36 of the lower 48 states have went from winter to summer, and it is still technically, winter.   ???

Here are a couple of interesting links from NOAA.

NOAA list of daily high temperature records set or broken Thursday: http://1.usa.gov/A1823b

NOAA tornado statistics so far: http://1.usa.gov/wOrOsb

Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1099 on: March 16, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »
And even though we have had much warmer and dryer weather this "winter", now we are experiencing our normal winter weather. 2" of rain Wed-Thurs and another 2-3" expected today through Sunday, and snow in the lower elevations.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1100 on: April 14, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »
Conditions are setting up for quite an event here in the Midwest today and tomorrow.   At this hour (10am CDT), the upper level jet stream is over the area, with winds at 200mph.   The southern jet is coming in at 60-70mph.   The ingredients are all there, the only element missing for my area is the day time heating needed.  It is overcast and rainy at the moment, as it has been all night.

http://www.weather.com/

My prediction:   With the weather events we have seen the past year alone, I say it's going to get ugly.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1101 on: April 14, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
Good luck, Charlie!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1102 on: April 17, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
Good luck, Charlie!

I heard the final count on all the tornaodes spawned by the setup from this past weekend was around 130.   OK, KS, NE and IA had the most of them, and it was those states where the most damage, and sadly, loss of life occurred.   If I heard correctly, the loss of life was under a dozen, no doubt due to the weather service being very intense with their warnings about just how dangerous this past weekend was going to be.

However, we are just getting started.  The remainder of April and all of May is a very active time of the year for these dangerous storms here in the Midwest.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1103 on: June 03, 2012, 07:50:33 AM »
Well, regarding my last post here over a month ago, May was a surprisingly quiet month here in MO.  Nothing compared to a year before where we had the awful tornado in Joplin on May 22nd. 

Actually, we continue to set new records here.  This past Memorial Day weekend was the hottest on record, and for the entire month of May, here in my area of the state, we received just 1.3 inches of rain.   A new low, rainfall record for the month of May.

Very dry already, much like what is seen in late July and August. 

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1104 on: June 03, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »
Same here, Charlie. We had a large brush fire here, yesterday, not far from where I live, that took out an underground power supply, so I was without power for about 7 hours yesterday. The winds were about 52mph, which did not help the firefighters. Luckily it was on the other side of the very high hill from where I live. The brush is very high, though, and very very dry. They actually had to drop fire retardant on it, so the drop planes were buzzing about over my house for about 5 hours.  Not a fun day.
... Kierkegaard

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1105 on: June 03, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »
Wow, thats scary Linda!   I had not heard about that in California.  Glad you are safe.   The big news has been about what is apparently a huge fire in New Mexico which has been burning out of control for several days now.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1106 on: June 03, 2012, 06:31:49 PM »
It would only have made local news, Charlie as it was localized at the foot of San Bruno mountain and the fact that it knocked out the power in so many homes. It was just close to me.

I have been reading about this as well, and saw the news about it. It is huge and not looking to be controlled too soon. If they are getting the winds we are then, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of controlling it soon.

It was interesting watching them drop fire retardant here though. I think if they had not done this, it would have taken much much longer. The 3 local fire departments that fought it would not have been able get up the side of the mountain in that particular spot as it goes from road to almost vertical in a few feet.  If it had gotten up and over the peak, then the houses above where I live would have been involved.

It was directly on the other side of this peak. This is looking from the street where I live.

... Kierkegaard

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1107 on: June 26, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
TS Debby relentless in soggy assault on Fla.

By Michelle Miller

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Florida was under a state of emergency Tuesday, with Tropical Storm Debby sitting off the Gulf Coast, and in no apparent rush to make landfall.

Debby had barely budged in 72 hours, socking Florida with flood-producing rains, high winds, and tornadoes.  And it wasn't over.

Forecasters said another eight inches of rain was possible in coming days.

The wind and surf were ferocious in St. Petersburg Tuesday, as they were through much of Florida's northwest coast.  No National Guard troops had been activated and no requests had been issued for federal disaster assistance. But Gov. Rick Scott pleaded with residents not to take Debby lightly.

Debby has been stalled in the Gulf for four days, dumping 10-to-15 inches of rain on millions of Floridians, from Fort Myers across the panhandle.

Without even making landfall, the system triggered at least 20 reports of tornadoes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57460303/ts-debby-relentless-in-soggy-assault-on-fla/

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #1108 on: June 30, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
   Well, we've been hit pretty hard here in Virginia, by the Derecho.  2-3 million people without power (1 million homes), and this in the middle of a dangerous heat wave.  Damage was called similar to a hurricane.
  Fritz isn't showing up on The Diner, and I hope he's ok.  Also, I have an older sister in D.C., fairly sickly, but we don't talk, so, I can't call her.  She has a son, in NYC, and I would hope he would go help her.
  The storm blew into Norfolk after midnight and the sky lit up as if daytime, but we kept our power.  More storms to come, though, and more heat.
I'd never even heard of a derecho.  If I hadn't read the last page of the Diner, last night, I wouldn't have known one was moving this way.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1109 on: June 30, 2012, 11:56:47 AM »
Hi Tony. Just heard from Fritz and he and Earl are OK. No power since about 7:30 last night. Very high winds and constant lightening as you said. They heard transformers popping the whole time. No major damage in his neighborhood, but many downed trees on the major roads and highways. I posted more in the Diner.
... Kierkegaard