The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Musical Score  (Read 412591 times)

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
Re: The Musical Score
« Reply #1035 on: November 11, 2008, 11:32:26 PM »
I Don't Want This Only For Myself, I Want To share This With Anyone Who Really Loves This Beautiful And Tragic History, and I Really want To make This Available For Anyone.

I Know That Some 'Rare' Tracks From The Film Was easier to find a few years ago, But now i think they are lost.
The rare tracks were not lost.  Mostly, they were taken down from public internet sites, for fear of copyright infringement suits, I believe.  Same reason you can't find the short story on line any more. 

Shane, you ought to think this over before you put a whole copyright score on a public site.  It's illegal.  You won't be hanged for it, but you could get in some trouble. 
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline shane88

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1036 on: November 12, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »
Thanks For The Advice.

I'll Keep It In Mind.

Offline YeeHaw

• Virgin
« Reply #1037 on: November 13, 2008, 04:59:31 AM »
When the song 'I dont want to say goodbye' is playing when Jack is dancing with LaShawn, do u think the song reflects the feelings of Jack or Ennis?  I like to think that its what Ennis would say to Jack is he knew that Jack was thinking about moving on to someone new.  If only he could articulate his feelings as well as the song does.

Offline Sandy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1038 on: November 13, 2008, 08:16:23 AM »
Welcome, YeeHaw, to our shared obsession.

I think the song playing in the background is meant to put us in a mood to consider the conflict in Jack's life. He's supposed to find love, but he isn't finding it in the setting of conventional marriage. And perhaps he also senses that the lyrics of the song are what he would like to hear from Ennis. It seems to be in keeping with the portrayal of Ennis' character that he would never directly address those words to Jack.

See you on the threads.

Sandy

Offline YeeHaw

• Virgin
« Reply #1039 on: November 13, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »
Thanks for replying!

I find it so heartbreaking throughout the film that Ennis just cant accept his feelings and let himself go enough to live happily with Jack.  They both go through such sadness and loneliness all because Ennis is too scared to risk being found out.  I think he realizes this right at the end of the film when Jack is gone and he is all alone in the world with no one who understands him the way Jack did.  So sad! 

Offline Sandy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1040 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »
YeeHaw,

You will find these issues (and more) discussed on a variety of threads under "Themes and Elements." The thread on the Character Analysis of Ennis. in particular, contains a wide variety of insights and opinions about Ennis' character, how it got to be that way, and how it affected his relationship with Jack and others.

Browse around and see what catches your fancy. A good place to delve into is the General Discussion thread.

See you on the threads,

Sandy

Offline Morton

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1041 on: January 12, 2009, 06:48:47 PM »
Hello,

I hope someone can help me.  A couple years ago I was able to locate the Brokeback Mountain Oscar CD Promo.  This promo contained 22 instrumental songs.  I've lost the CD containing these songs and need to have them.  I almost positive someone on the forum posted the link to the CD promo shortly before the Oscar nominations.  If anyone out there can provide me with the link to download I would greatly appreciate it.  You can either post it on the forum or email it to me at ddayton@nycap.rr.com. 

Sincerely,

Morton

Offline Dagonet

• Experienced
« Reply #1042 on: March 16, 2009, 01:09:47 PM »
Rise from obscurity, Musical Score thread!

A disclaimer first:  I'm not musical.  I neither read nor write music, haven't played an instrument since that little plastic recorder flute in fourth grade, and have a singing voice which is best enjoyed in private.  I'm a word guy, and while I'm a fair hand at parody of existing lyrics, that's about as far as my skills extend.

But over the past few months, lyrics to the three Brokeback Mountain "themes" have, sort of, slowly fallen into place.  So. . .

Brokeback Mountain 1 would begin with:

Here, in this place
the world is new.
No fear or doubt,
just me, and you.

I never dreamed
of a better life.
I never dreamed
of you, of you.

The piece then drifts into that sweet, haunting instrumental, and ends with:

Here, in your arms,
the world is still.
Your heart and mine
at peace, until
the dawn. . . 

I'm having difficulty with Brokeback Mountain 2; I know it begins with Here, in my heart, but I'm not sure where it goes from there.

And Brokeback Mountain 3, as the Dozy Embrace concludes, goes like this:

Here, in my dreams
you speak my name.
No fear or doubt,
all roads the same.

I never dreamed
of a life without you.

Here, at the end,
with you now,
I swear. . .

As I said, I'm a word guy rather than a music guy, and I know it's kind of presumptuous to attempt to set words to the wordless; please be gentle.   :">

Cheers,

Dagonet
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:40:19 PM by Dagonet »
"They ought to have met, if the gods had any kindness, any pity at all for them, in another world than this.  Not here.  For love was what it was, but it was not enough.  Not here."

--Guy Gavriel Kay, 'Tigana'

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #1043 on: March 17, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »
Dag, are  these lyrics from "A Love That Will Never Grow Old"? I'm can't say I know all the lyrics, and it's been ages since I listened to that sad CD. The music just kills me, and the string sections during the Dozy Embrace are just too much-tears every time.. That distant summer......

'the smile in your eyes' is the one lyric that always sticks with me-it's so Ennis.

Offline Dagonet

• Experienced
« Reply #1044 on: March 18, 2009, 12:07:27 AM »
Dag, are  these lyrics from "A Love That Will Never Grow Old"?

No, these lyrics are just from plain-old-me.   :)  They're words that suggested themselves for Santaolalla's three instrumental pieces:  Brokeback Mountain 1, 2, and 3.  I'm not familiar with the CD you mentioned; I'll definitely track it down.

Cheers,

Dagonet
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:03:13 PM by Dagonet »
"They ought to have met, if the gods had any kindness, any pity at all for them, in another world than this.  Not here.  For love was what it was, but it was not enough.  Not here."

--Guy Gavriel Kay, 'Tigana'

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
« Reply #1045 on: March 19, 2009, 05:57:36 AM »
Dag, are  these lyrics from "A Love That Will Never Grow Old"?

No, these lyrics are just from plain-old-me.   :)  They're words that suggested themselves for the Santaolalla's three instrumental pieces:  Brokeback Mountain 1, 2, and 3.  I'm not familiar with the CD you mentioned; I'll definitely track it down.

Cheers,

Dagonet

Oh, I see. It's been too long for me to remember the song lyrics. I can hear the melody of course....

Your words actually sound like they belong, so hat's off.

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #1046 on: April 15, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »
I do love the musical score for the film but sometimes,  in my opinion , the music played over some of the dialog which you had to strain your ears to try to decipher what the actors were saying. I know some of the   "moments" were supposed to be intermate and perhaps the music playing as they were speaking made them even moreso but if you want to know what they were saying you have to put the film on subtitles.
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #1047 on: April 15, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »
Any particular parts, Suelyblu? I never had any trouble with the dialogue so maybe it's just the fault of the sound system. No, on second thoughts, the last time I watched it at a film society evening the dialogue was harder to pick up and the ambient sound - water, wind, etc. - was a little too loud. It could just be the speaker balance.

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
« Reply #1048 on: April 15, 2009, 06:51:39 PM »
Any particular parts, Suelyblu? I never had any trouble with the dialogue so maybe it's just the fault of the sound system. No, on second thoughts, the last time I watched it at a film society evening the dialogue was harder to pick up and the ambient sound - water, wind, etc. - was a little too loud. It could just be the speaker balance.
I think both 'sweetie' and 'darlin', can get drowned out by the lovely soundtrack, sometimes. I think that's why so many people say they can't hear them.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #1049 on: April 15, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
Is there any music over those words? There is music over the whispers at the end of SNIT but all of those examples aren't in the subtit;es anyway.