The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 404426 times)

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #420 on: October 09, 2006, 12:47:56 PM »
my borscht is like yours -- a handful there and this or that here, but never with lentils,, and never with apple brandy!!!!! i'll have to try that sometime.
Well, I'm not sure what I use is exactly apple brandy. It's called eau de vie ("water of life") here (my "here" being in the French Pyrenees), and ours is made from apples from our neighbors' trees. Twice a year, in spring and autumn,  a guy comes round with a still and the locals bring the plums or apples they've been storing since the previous season. The plums are nice and rotted and swimming, along with dead wasps, in their fermented juices. Once of the borsht recipes I saw called for a hit of vodka, and since I didn't have that I used the apple eau de vie.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #421 on: October 09, 2006, 11:05:50 PM »
vodka borscht.. now that's definitely russian. ;)

oh mmm mmm mmm,,, eau de vie, i've had that made with pears and it's reallllly good.  lol, dead wasps.  :P :D

it sounds like you live in an idyllic setting!! i thought you were in a city...  that's cool.

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Bobbie

« Reply #422 on: October 10, 2006, 06:28:03 PM »
My Husband's parents were from Ukraine and we socialize with Ukrainian Americans often.  I've had tons of different types of borscht and my favorite has white beans in it.  At first I thought beans in borscht was a strane combo, but I've learned to love it.  Some folks put a little cream in theirs, but I prefer a broth-based soup, though it's tasty with cream too.  Hmmm, will have to try the borscht with a bit of Vodka!  ::)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #423 on: October 16, 2006, 05:31:50 AM »
it's been six days with no recipe posts? ya'll must be starved! :D ;) i made "linguini con vongole" last night. or is that vognole. i don't know. it's spaghetti with clams to me. actually, spaghetti RIGATI, which means it got little ribs along it, all the better to catch the sauce. i made it a little differently from my usual "recipe" with the addition of mushrooms.

SPAGHETTI with WHITE CLAM SAUCE

half a box or a little more of spaghetti or linguini (a good italian dried pasta please!)
1 can of baby clams. SAVE the LIQUID.
some mushrooms (i used four large white ones)
1 small onion, or half a medium onion
fresh parsley, about 1/4 cup chopped
fresh garlic, about 3-5 cloves
extra virgin olive oil
some dry white wine
a pat of butter
salt, pepper, chili flakes, tiny pinch dried oregano or basil

put a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. don't salt or add oil. rinse the parsley, shake to dry, remove the stems, and coarsely chop so you have 1/4 cup or more, set aside.

chop onion fine, slice mushrooms thin, crush garlic. sautee these in a large pan with olive oil. just enough to coat the pan i guess. don't let the garlic burn. no no no. sautee until onion is transparent. season with pepper, the dried herbs, and some chili flakes if you like it spicy, but just a tiny bit.

you can time all this so the pasta is almost done (extra al dente) when the sauce is almost done. okay, now that the water's boiling, add the pasta, stir.

then go back to the pan: add the liquid from the can of clams to the limp onions. add half the parsley. add the wine, about a half cup. simmer on low for about 10 minutes.

just as the pasta is reaching almost done, add the clams, a pat of butter (this is totally optional but i wanted to finish off the stick), stir well, check seasonings. add salt only if needed, as the clams are already somewhat salty. you probably don't need it.

drain the pasta lightly, never rinse, and add this to the pan with the sauce, over low heat. add more parsley, and toss well. the noodles will continue to cook and absorb the liquid. if it's a bit dry, add some pasta water (not wine! haha). after a couple of minutes, check to see if the pasta is done. remove from heat, sprinkle a little more fresh parsley on top, drizzle with an extra good virgin olive oil, if you want.

this serves two very well... if you like clams. :D  one day i'll try this with fresh, but until then, long live the can~!

you can add a tiny bit of cheese, but i read that in italy you're not supposed to add cheese to seafood pastas. oh well -- i sprinkle on finely grated romano or mizithra or parmesan. served with a simple salad, and perhaps a good hot crusty bread, this is a super less-than-30-minute meal.

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #424 on: October 16, 2006, 06:09:16 AM »
You really have a knack of posting great recipes featuring an ingredient I can't get here in the Pyrenees. Never even seen canned clams over here. I sure do miss clam chowder.  :-[  (New England, not Manhattan) We used to rake them out ourselves when I was a kid.

One consolation is being able to get fresh basil in the market well into October. Last night I we had linguini and pesto.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #425 on: October 16, 2006, 06:14:07 AM »
hey, if raisins are dried grapes, what are dried cranberries called?  ;) ;D 

jimmy, we've been calling them "craisins" I guess for cranberry-raisins.  I've never heard them called anything else.  Unlike raisins or sultanas or whatever...

;)

Never ate fried bologna.  And I think I'm the only middle-class white kid who didn't!  lol.  Evidently I've missed out on a culinary treat...just regular Oscar Mayer or deli style?  Hmmm.....
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #426 on: October 16, 2006, 06:19:36 AM »
Made some roasted cauliflower from a recipe I found in a tapas food article yesterday and it was really good:

1 medium head cauliflower, rinsed and cut into florets
1/2t. red pepper flakes
1/2t garlic powder
1 t. kosher salt
1/3 c. Olive Oil

Combine the oil, salt and spices and whisk together smoothly.  With cauliflower in a bowl, pour the oil mixture over and toss to coat lightly.  Pour into a roasting pan and roast at F400 for about 30-40 minutes. 

This was very good, but Carol and I thought it would be equally delicious without the HOT peppers and just italian seasoning instead.  We didn't turn it or anything while roasting and just took it out of the oven when it was browned - crunchy coating but really tender.
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #427 on: October 16, 2006, 06:56:07 AM »
Mmmm...definite thumbs up for both the clam pasta and the cauliflower!

It's pumpkin season and as usual, I get an irresistible urge to buy some because they're so cheap, look so interesting, and they're a staple food in the Harry Potter universe  :D 
But what to do with them? Sweden has no pumpkin tradition at all - I saw my first pumpkin something like five years ago, and most people who buy them use them to carve for Halloween (which is also a new thing here and still considered very American). So now I wonder, does anyone have a favourite recipe with pumpkin? I'd mostly like to use them for savoury dishes, but I'm curious about sweet ones to!

What I normally make is a kind of curry that I came up with myself but that I can never get to taste as good as I'd like to. The version I'm eating right now has onions, an apple, lots of pumpkin, chick peas and a couple of fistfuls of raisins. Plus garam masala, curry powder, cinnamon, turmeric, vinegar, salt, sugar and lime juice. It sounds good, but there's something missing and I don't know what, I think I'd like a fruitier taste somehow. The raisins help a lot.
Oh, and last week I made "Pumpkin in Panaeng Curry" from a Thai recipe. It was yummy, but then again, it's hard to go wrong with coconut milk and Thai curry paste...  :)
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #428 on: October 16, 2006, 07:01:24 AM »
for me, the best is pumpkin soup ! you just make a soup with pumpkin, some soup spices and nutmeg. at the end, you mash the whole thing with a blender and serve it with a bit of whipped cream on top. on the cream you can either put a bit of olive oil or pumpkin seeds. a streak of olive oil over the spoup looks good and makes a great taste.

another pumpkin recipie i like is pumpkin with gnocchi. i don't know it by heart now but there's onions in it and italian spices and pumpkin cubes. if you're interested let me know then i'm going to search for it.
Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #429 on: October 16, 2006, 07:09:48 AM »
Pumpkin Pie.

An American invention (Pennsylvania Dutch had a lot of spare time and a lot of wheat flour - they "invented" a majority of America's desserts and treats).

Pastry crust (sometimes baked first and) filled with a pumpkin-based custard and baked again until the custard sets. 

Pumpkin Flan
Pumpkin Bread
Pumpkin Pudding

You could also use pumpkin in savoury dishes like pastas and stir-fry's and curry's - it is a squash vegetable like zucchini. 

It takes really well to garlicky and peppery flavours - not just the sweet, nutmeggy ones.
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #430 on: October 16, 2006, 07:26:57 AM »
At our monthly breakfast at the K of C hall yesterday, they served pumpkin pancakes. No idea about the recipe, but they were delicious!

Most of the items were usual American breakfast stuff. Jari said it made his arteries clog just to hear the menu!  :D

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

daphne

« Reply #431 on: October 16, 2006, 08:06:36 AM »
My favorite recipe with pumpkin is pumpkin tortelli. It's a kind of filled pasta and it's a typical recipe of some parts of Northern Italy. My mom used to make them for me, and they are my no. 1 soul food. There are two variants, as far as I know:

1) The filling is made with pumpkin, parmigiano, nutmeg and macaroons; the sauce is made with melted butter, grated parmigiano, and sage.

2) Same filling, but without macaroons. Sauce: meat gravy and tomato sauce. This is my favorite version. Sweet pumpkin + salty sauce = delicious.

I have to call mom and tell her to invite me to dinner as soon as possible  ;D  ;)

Btw Laurentia, if you want the tortelli recipe let me know, I'll try to translate it into comprehensible English  ;D

Bobbie

« Reply #432 on: October 16, 2006, 08:53:36 AM »
I'm a big fan of Curry Pumpkin Soup which is a dish I serve every American Thanksgiving with whole wheat biscuits and/or cornbread.  It's really easy. 

Bascially I cook pumpkin and butternut squash and mix it with chicken broth, sauted onions and garlic, cooked carrots and, of course, curry, salt and pepper.  Once it's all mixed together, I either mash it together with a potato masher or run it in a blender/food processor.  If I'm going to make it country-style I serve it more chunky.  If I want to serve it more 'elegantly' I push the puree thru cheese cloth and serve it that way.  If either style is too thick, you can thin it down with broth.   I occasionally add a little milk or cream to either style to give it some richness but I don't use the milk/cream to thin it down.  It will just become to milky and you'll lose flavor. 

I've sprinkled paprika on top to give it color.  This TG I'll put a little dollop of sour cream on each serving and sprinkle crushed pecans/walnuts on top to give it a little texture and crunch.  And, I might also add sherry to give it a little punch! ;D

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #433 on: October 17, 2006, 03:06:56 AM »
ooh yummy, all the pumpkin recipes sound so good... i love pumpkin ravioli but have never made it myself. there's always the pumpkin/mango curry too, which i've now made twice with kabocha pumpkins.

bobbie and desertrat, the pumpkin soups sound great... i often make carrot soup, very similar to pumpkin soup, simple as ever. lots of boiled soft organic carrots (somehow they're sweeter?) and then blended in batches with chicken or vegetable stock, a little heavy cream or half and half, and salt, pepper, and grated FRESH nutmeg. this and a salad with hot crusty french bread. YUM. and so easy.

heidi, the roasted cauliflower sounds delish. i roast veggies all the time in winter, but have never once tried cauliflower! it just never crossed my mind. i would think a dusting of curry instead of the chili flakes would also work, or maybe a tamari based dressing and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds and fresh cilantro/coriander for an asian flair.

tonight i made something that could be served up on brokeback: pork chops, baked beans, corn on the cob, and string beans. i rarely cook meat at home but there was a great sale on pork chops at ralph's and sometimes i crave that "other white meat." lol.

the corn on the cob was dressed with butter, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. why i used lemon i'll never know, but it was different. ;D

the pork chops were oven "fried" -- coated with progresso bread crumbs and baked in a hot oven for 40 minutes. came out great.

the string beans were the skinny french kind, steamed, then tossed in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, garlic and lemon juice.

the baked beans were whatever was in that can of bettermost from the barbecue -- not bad for mystery beans. :D

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #434 on: October 17, 2006, 06:28:16 AM »
heidi, the roasted cauliflower sounds delish. i roast veggies all the time in winter, but have never once tried cauliflower! it just never crossed my mind. i would think a dusting of curry instead of the chili flakes would also work, or maybe a tamari based dressing and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds and fresh cilantro/coriander for an asian flair.

the baked beans were whatever was in that can of bettermost from the barbecue -- not bad for mystery beans. :D

OOOh!  Yes, Jimmy your modifications sound good too!

and omg.  You ate your BBM BBQ beans!?!?!?  LMAO!  We've practically bronzed ours!  The two cans are sitting side by side on the top shelf of the bookcase, flanked by one of Pat Sinnott's pictures and the plaque that Chucky gave me.   **sniff sniff*  It's like a mini-altar! lol.
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com