209 (43.8%)
The Book
45 (9.4%)
Equal
198 (41.5%)
Haven't seen/read both yet
25 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 437

Author Topic: Film vs. Book -- Which was better?  (Read 294995 times)

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
Film vs. Book -- Which was better?
« on: January 04, 2006, 01:34:31 AM »
Ah, now we cut to the quick.

And I know some of you are going to hate me for pitting two wonderful artists from different fields against each other. Well, nobody has to lose or attack each other, but I do think it's an interesting question of what each uniquely brought to the table.

Please dive in and argue away for each, or for both if you please. I thought they were both amazing. But I do have a favorite.

And I know the question is open to massive interpretation. You define "better" any way you please. Which achievement impressed you more?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 01:10:41 PM by Dave Cullen »

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
Re: Poll: Film or Book -- Which was better?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 02:03:20 AM »
Is Your intension that we should compare the whole film vs. the whole book?
or
are we supposed to discuss single scenes?
if you cannot fix it - you've gotta stand it
if you cannot stand it - you gotta fix it

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:12:11 AM »
I will not wait for Daves answer so I start here and now:

the reunion after 4 years:
I don't like the 'smashing into walls' in the movie. In the book the kiss just happen, it isn't the same 'planning' as when E checks around and then goes 'out of sight' to violently kiss J, and I think thats more 'realistic'.

They haven't seen each other for a very long time and they have no intension to be that romantic, it was just two old friends, but without any planning and without anyone really knowing whats happening - they kiss each other.

Maybe it is the very romantic Petter who is talking here...

Offline Diego

• Feet Wet
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 02:22:11 AM »
I can't decide.

I always seem to go for the book because it is usually ten times better, but this one left me scratching my head.. the book has a way of telling you how they felt,the love they had for each other and what they really thought. One exaple of something i felt was better in the book was Ennis's visit to jack's room and finding the shirts. The way it's described just tears me up every time. I was leaning towards the book a little. But then again the Film captures some of the moments from the book and makes them ten times more intense. Like Jack and Almas Kitchen Confrontation. I dint realize how heated the fiight actually was until i saw the film. good stuff.

I for once, am happy i cant decide between the two. So i chose "equal".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 02:24:13 AM by Diego »

Offline Dathan

• Expert
  • What the hell happened Ennis?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 02:27:23 AM »
Yeah Peter that seemed somewhat reckless and  immature to act so wildly after 4 years but they do get worked up in the book just not bouncing off the walls.

I'm not sure, with the written word we can visualize as we please but the movie that is hard evidence somewhat cut and dry.  I would have liked to have seen more in the beginning of their physical relationship to convince me they were really in a "euphoric" state on the mountain.  I think thats just my needy gay thing.  I know I am not going to go to the movies and see Heath Ledger laying spread eagle "spent and wet" but I can hope.  So the book is much better at enabling my freedom of vision.
"You know it could be like this, just like this always"

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 02:48:54 AM »
Yeah Peter that seemed somewhat reckless and  immature to act so wildly after 4 years but they do get worked up in the book just not bouncing off the walls.

I'm not sure, with the written word we can visualize as we please but the movie that is hard evidence somewhat cut and dry.  I would have liked to have seen more in the beginning of their physical relationship to convince me they were really in a "euphoric" state on the mountain.  I think thats just my needy gay thing.  I know I am not going to go to the movies and see Heath Ledger laying spread eagle "spent and wet" but I can hope.  So the book is much better at enabling my freedom of vision.
But in the book it isn't anything of that 'euphorism' - it's says 'the sex continued the rest of the summer' - very short and without any tender feelings at all in fact.

I agree that a book give us more freedom to 'convert' the text into an idea within our mind.

A very common comment is that a movie is 'shorter/simpler' than a book, it is more nuances and details in the book - but in this case it isn't so - some things are even more detailed in the movie - Carissa eg or their (E&J) last discussion.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 05:02:58 AM »
This was a short story written by one woman. Very powerful and incredible reading.

The film packs as much of a wallop (or more) and involves the work of many artists.

Annie P voted for the film, and I do too.

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 07:27:03 AM »

Peteinportland: I agree. I love the film and the book.

In responding to the above posts, I love the film's reunion kiss after four years, and it matches the book's intensity of that moment. Neither of them can contain themselves --it's been four years and it must have seemed an eternity when they finally saw each other. Lustful and intense. Absolutely perfect the way it is.

dkellergrl2001

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 09:27:18 AM »
I voted for both the book and the film adaptation.  I loved the sparceness and simplicity of Annie's story and I equally loved the "fleshed out" collaboration of Ang Lee and everyone involved for bringing the short story to "life".

Offline Cat

• Experienced
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 09:42:36 AM »
Petter, I agree with you. The reunion scene is my favorite in the movie, however the way it was described in the book, they are so overcome they begin kissing IN FRONT of Alma. It's twilight and I guess Ennis has some vague hope she didn't really see them, but he knows she did. In the movie, she catches them from a window and Ennis is trying to hide what's going on.

Offline Scott88

• Experienced
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »
In the movie, she catches them from a window and Ennis is trying to hide what's going on.

But is Ennis trying to hide what's going from Alma specifically?  He quickly looks around and brings Jack 'round the corner so that no passerbys could catch a glimpse, but in terms of Alma?  He starts passionately making out with Jack in an alleyway that is directly visible from the front door of their home.  IMO, the fact that he does this (i.e., doesn't prevent Alma from inadvertently discovering them) shows just overcome with emotion Ennis was in that moment.

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Sending up a prayer of thanks
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 09:46:43 AM »
Apples and Oranges, Dave...

The adaptation is superb and faithful to an extraordinary degree, but no written book can give the visual sweep and sound of a film.

The short story is terse and clear, but still packs a whollop in terms of emotion.

The film is truly beautiful in every way.
It could be like this, just like this, always...

Offline Cat

• Experienced
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »
In the movie, she catches them from a window and Ennis is trying to hide what's going on.

But is Ennis trying to hide what's going from Alma specifically?  He quickly looks around and brings Jack 'round the corner so that no passerbys could catch a glimpse, but in terms of Alma?  He starts passionately making out with Jack in an alleyway that is directly visible from the front door of their home.  IMO, the fact that he does this (i.e., doesn't prevent Alma from inadvertently discovering them) shows just overcome with emotion Ennis was in that moment.

That's true, but it's still not quite comparable to going at it right away on the front stoop and not even making a small attempt to hide things, like he does in the movie. In the book it's funny because after she catches them, Ennis says "I haven't seen Jack in four years." And the text says AS IF IT WERE A REASON. Having him say that in the film would have brought a big laugh.

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 09:54:42 AM »
  He quickly looks around and brings Jack 'round the corner' ... shows just overcome with emotion Ennis was in that moment
it is exactly this which makes me dislike this scene - he is 'planning' when he looks around and moves 'round the corner' - in the middle of this scene, so full of passion he keeps his head cool and calculating - it isn't like that in the book

btw - this is the only situation (I think) where Ennis is 'leading', or top if You prefer that tem  ;)

Offline Cat

• Experienced
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 10:48:11 AM »
I guess it would have been hard to believe that he would start macking right in front of his wife, given his uptight inclinations. It's one thing to write it in a book, another to have the visual. Plus the visual of him doing this probably would have taken away a lot of sympathy for him, esp with a more mainstream audience. "Look at the cad! He tongues his boyfriend IN FRONT of his wife and doesn't care!"  :D