The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet Sept 25 to Oct 1, 2006  (Read 11832 times)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
The Daily Sheet Sept 25 to Oct 1, 2006
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:00:49 AM »
The Daily Sheet
September 25, 2006

Midwest Slash Bash and London Get-Together Coming This Weekend

Slash members are counting the days until the Midwest Slash Bash in Chicago, which starts with a dinner on Friday night.  Organizers are working on unique mementos (“bash buttons”).  The “Writer’s Reading” on Saturday night is bound to be a highlight of the weekend. To find out more, check out the Slash Bash thread.

If you can get to London this weekend, join up with the group meeting on Saturday, the 30th. Click here for more details.

Possible BBM Screening: London in December

Froggy, a member of our board and EnnisJack.com, has started a thread to invite members near London to a get-together in December. 

“As we were organizing the weekend, one of our members got in touch with a cinema a few yards away from Leicester Square. The Prince of Wales cinema is willing to show Brokeback Mountain but we need numbers. There is no renting fee, nor booking fee...all we will have to pay is a normal regular seat each on the day (less than a fiver!!!) We are all very exited about the possible viewing in a cinema, and we are inviting other BBM forums to join us for the screening.”

If you are interested please PM froggy or post in the thread: Possible BBM viewing @ London cinema in December[/u]

Update On Our Book

Presently, Dave is reviewing the draft of the book the leadership committee sent to him. He has had some great suggestions on the organization, and we are working to incorporate those. After that, and approval by all of the final draft, we will send to our proofreaders and our layout person. So, while the process is slower than we had hoped, we are still making progress.

We continue with the last of the permissions and getting all of the author bios. We will rev up our marketing efforts once we have the final copy in layout.

Thanks to everyone that has been involved and that is still involved.

Report on Breakfast in Arizona: Never Enough Time, Never Enough

A small group of forum members met for brunch this past weekend. CANSTANDIT, Bobby19in1963, AHappyMan and another friend, “R”, enjoyed food and conversation. 

In the thread Arizona Folks Say Hello,[/b] CANSTANDIT wrote: "Back from our AZ meeting--and what wonderful people! We had soulful discussion; some laughs; an excerpt or two from the text; a guest that has known a poster for over 45 years, and was a great supportive addition to our gathering; and some fine fine brunch food (omelettes all around, with a southwestern flair).

Bobby provided us each with our own BBM Diet recipe booklets, with a lovely montage of clips from the film on the cover sheet...sigh...and a compilation disc, that I cannot wait to pop in. The restaurant graciously let us gab for more than 3 hours, and we took advantage of every minute…We missed a few people, such as Passion and her son, and look forward to another get together soon!”

Post of the Day: Close to Perfection

elle_ann posted her thoughts about the forum:

Where else in life can you - all at the same time - read, write, talk to friends...be serious, be stupid, make random comments on things people said hours before, weep, laugh, fall on the floor, rush off to do something important or trivial without having to excuse yourself, and do it all without having to get all dressed up, made up or even put a smile on your face if your not in the mood?

You can even make a perfectly random comment, like this, leave it hanging for hours, and not worry if no one ever says anything back or not?

Perfect!

Rants and Rantidotes

Having just celebrated my 1000th post, it’s no secret I feel good about my participation in this forum.  When I talk to people in RL about the forum, we quickly move past Brokeback Mountain fever (which most don’t get) to the phenomenon of the forum itself.  They can’t believe that hundreds (even thousands) of us return online every day for friendship, news, discussion, and camaraderie.

That is the good news.  But, you know there is a rant in here somewhere, right?

I don’t mind if my social life is mostly on-line these days (in fact, I had tickets to a dinner last Saturday and completely forgot to go.  RL is receding more and more…)  But my rant is about how everything is starting to feel very much the same.  Shopping.  Research.  Reading.  Looking at pictures.  Looking up words.  Renting movies.  Renewing library books.  Communicating with everyone, forum friends and non-forum friends.  Work.  Play.

Sure I know the answer-- I do get out of the house, mostly to go to exercise class.  Sometimes I even run on a treadmill, which is very Jetson-like. 

Anybody else?  What are some bizarre things you do online?  Some you can't do online (but wish you could?) What do you think we'll never be able to do on-line?  (or never should?)

Send your rants and rantidotes to ellen@davecullen.com

Lifestyles in the Forum

Conny posted photos and her story about fulfilling a longtime dream: swimming with dolphins.

"We went under water and that was so cool, cause i could hear their sonar!!!  They came very close,wasn`t allowed to touch, but that was ok.  It was just fine to look at them, and I waved and talked to them."

Conny (second from left) is shown here delighting in the miracle of dolphins.

Click here for more photos and to read Conny's description of the experience: The Pets Thread and Pet Pics

Link of the Day: Interview with Jim McGreevey, Author of The Confession

Jim McGreevey, the gay ex-governor of New Jersey who came out while still in office, appeared on Larry King Live to talk about his book.

McGreevey: “I knew I was different when I was about six years of age but I just knew that I wasn't like everybody else. I mean I wasn't like the other kids. I didn't know what that was. But I guess it was when I was in seventh or eighth grade, I'm like, ‘Hey, something's wrong here.’”

Click here to read a transcript of the interview.

BBM Math Problems

by Jannis

That summer I had goddam near fifty percent shirt loss. I don't want that again.

Ennis: "Last night I had goddam near hundred percent loss of inhibitions. I want that again."

Calendar

Forum Events

29 Sep - 1 Oct - Chicago - Midwest Slash Bash
30 Sep - London - Forum Get Together for all Europeans

Other Events

5-8 Oct - Las Vegas, NV - Big Horn Rodeo
19-21 Oct - Casper, WY - Equality State Book Festival
7 Nov - Pinecreek, WY - Toast to Jack and Ennis

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Editors:  Ellen (tellyouwhat) and Jan (CactusGal)

Assistant editors:  elle_ann and kmich

Columnists:  PeteinPortland, , cynical21, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf, Sparky

Proofreader/Researchers:  Gonzo (twistedboy), gnash, Sparky

Reporter in the Field:  Karin

Today’s edition produced by Ellen Raff (tellyouwhat): ellen@davecullen.com

Contributors:  CANSTANDIT, conny, froggy, elle_anne, Jannis, royandronnie

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.
When a new TDS is posted, it will be forwarded to your email address.

Previous issues of The Daily Sheet here.

Response thread for The Daily Sheet here.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:50:11 AM by BrokenOkie »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
Re: The Daily Sheet Sept 25 to Oct 1, 2006
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 05:48:11 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Sept 26, 2006

New Thread:  Icons and Avatars

(All these avatars were created by Planetgal471.)

Planetgal471 and gnash had a great idea this week to start a thread where we can post our BBM icons and avatars.  The pictures above show a lot of BBM avatars that were used for Live Journals.  To check out more of these or post your own, go to Icons and Avatars

Are You Still Able To Watch BBM?

Paintedshoes and I just had a conversation this week about not being able to watch BBM right now.   So, it was with curiosity, that I read the recent discussion that came up on How Brokeback Affected Me thread about this very subject.  It seems that we are in a lot of company.   Is it the pain of the emotional scenes that we are trying to avoid or just what keeps us from taking that journey once again? 

1224butternut has this to say: "As everyone here, I had an intense reaction to BBM.  I was frozen to my sofa for two weeks after seeing it in January.  Now after having watched Brokeback Mountain  18 times (many fewer than many fans here), and 6 months after it left the theaters here, I am paralyzed to see it again.  I have the DVD at home, of course, and have watched it 12 times here, but each time it became increasingly difficult to watch.  I love the movie so incredibly, but I have been trying to convince myself to watch it again for the last month.  The last time I watched it, I was devastated again.  I want to see it again, but I have to prepare myself for those final scenes..from Ennis and Jacks final argument to the end...rips me apart.  How can something be so profound and heart wrenching and so beautiful at the same time?  I am sure I am not the only one suffering from this problem, this far on.  Is anyone else having a problem watching it?"

Paintedshoes brings up a problem that may occur for her now that Brokeback will be on HBO this fall:  "I have been seeing previews for Brokeback on HBO, where it will be shown this fall.  I'm thrilled that more people will have the opportunity to see it, but, I'm a person who enjoys surfing the movie channels, and, frankly, I'm scared to think that I could just "happen across" the middle of the film, without being prepared, emotionally.  Gonna have to think a lot about how to handle that.  I've never felt this way before about surfing.  Don't know if I can handle the whole thing."

To join in the discussion, go to How Brokeback affected Me

Poem of the Day

by B73

Anniversary

Forty-three years since the day I was new baptized
Forty-three years to the day you took my hand
Guided me to the mountain wellspring of oblivion
Our forty-third year anniversary, Jack

Thirty-nine years since the day I'm resurrected
Thirty-nine years to the day that you come back
Woken from the grave of a dry spell bleak and blasted
Our thirty-ninth year anniversary, Jack

Twenty-five years since the day I got a postcard
Twenty-five years to the day my heart done died
Wander like a ghost through the desert of oblivion
My twenty-fifth year anniversary, Jack

For more beautiful poems head on over to the Slash Poetry thread.

FanFiction Review

By Cynical21

Our featured fan fiction story this week is an example - in fan fic jargon - of Alternative Reality storytelling - in that the two main characters, Jack and Ennis, are placed into an entirely different setting from the original story, and given different identities, though the characterization of each is faithful to the personality created by Annie Proulx.  The writer, forum member Sheera, AKA trascedenza, is a very gifted, very prolific young author who has given us this unique and intriguing story, entitled Nightfall.  It chronicles the lives of Jack Schwarz, a cabaret dancer, and Ennis Demarien, a painter art-school dropout.  Ennis is engaged to Alma Biers, a member of the League of German Girls, while Jack is a close friend of Loreen Naumann, a fellow dancer at the Cabaret Shangri-La.  Both are young, vital men who have endured difficult lives and are struggling to find ways to fit into the diverse and rich metropolitan life of Berlin during the rise of the Nazi party.  The shifting political climate will force both Jack and Ennis into confronting some uncomfortable truths about their heritage and culture--Jack, his Judaism and German nationality, and Ennis, his loyalty to a country that is espousing racial bigotry he cannot condone and the elevation of the mythical "Aryan race", in which he does not believe.  They will be forced by time and circumstances to make choices that will pivotally define the trajectory of their lives.

The author is currently working on getting her B.A. in Ecological Agriculture through New College of California and simultaneously getting a certification in Consciousness, Healing, and Ecology.  She dabbles in many different artforms (written, graphic, and occasionally sung) and admits that she has a tendency to go 'full throttle' like Ennis but also to dream about 'the sweet life' like Jack.  Her father was born and raised in Germany, which inspired her interest in that lovely country and her idea to place Jack and Ennis into that setting.  The resulting story has fascinated an avid group of fans, and promises to continue to do so as she weaves the threads of history into the tapestry that portrays the intertwining of their two lives.

To access this richly plotted, colorful account of a love affair that flares to life against all odds, go to the Slash Links thread.

Or access the author's LiveJournal here.   

Finding Brokeback#8:  Points South
Cowley, Fort Macleod, and Claresholm

By Jim Bond  www.FindingBrokeback.com

Some of the most poignant scenes in Brokeback Mountain  were shot in the rolling plains to the south of Calgary.  This region is also home to world-famous Alberta beef, as well as several historic points of interest.

Windy Cowley has the now world-famous Signal Street, Rail Track, and the site of Joe Aguirre's Trailer.  Sorry, there is no trailer there anymore, although you can easily find Ennis' Alley nearby.  A production positioning mark on the curb remains where Heath Ledger did some G-rated pounding.

Nearby Fort Macleod is filled with Brokeback sites:  the Laundry Apartment and the Steps, the ELKS Building, the Divorce Courtroom, the Fireworks Field, Cassie's Bar, and the Bus Station Café.  More than any other contender, Fort Macleod does a good job of promoting itself as "home" to Brokeback Mountain.

North of Fort Macleod and west of the town of Claresholm is the site of both Ennis and Alma's Lonesome Ranch and the Divorce Meeting Cabin.  Ironically, they are very close to one another.  The cabin is particularly interesting to visit because the interior was extensively renovated (lots of fake timber on the walls) for a scene which was shot there but which never made it into the final film.

In the following weeks we will present more simple itineraries and points of interest.  If you can't wait that long, or if you would like to do some armchair traveling to Brokeback country right now, please visit us at www.FindingBrokeback.com.

PhotoCap of the Day

by HR

I'll tell y' this for th' last time:  Separate your darks from my lights.
I only got two shirts.  They'll get all blotchy...

Tell you what...

Whomp, Whomp, Whomp

I shoulda said, "You kin warsh yer own
damn shirts".  That's what I shoulda said.

Whomp, Whomp, Whomp

Blotchy?  My freezin' ass.
I'll give you blotchy.

Whomp, Whomp, Whomp

Shoulda said, "You could use some blotches.
Some color would bring out that green in yer eyes."

Squeeze, Drip, Drip

Those beautiful,
soulful eyes

Sigh

Well, shit.

Whomp, Whomp, Whomp

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Assistant Editors:  elle_ann and kmich

Columnists:  PeteinPortland, cynical21, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf, Sparky

Proofreader/Researcher:  Gonzo (twistedboy), gnash and Sparky

Today’s edition produced by Jan Geyer (CactusGal) jan@davecullen.com

Contributors:   

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:56:41 AM by BrokenOkie »

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 06:28:05 AM »
The Daily Sheet
September 27, 2006

Today's issue produced by elle_ann

Calling All BBM Fans DownUnder -
It's Time for an Aussie Get Together!

BBM-Intern shared this news with The Daily Sheet today: "The Astor theatre in Melbourne has confirmed that they will be showing Brokeback Mountain on 17 October at 19h30.  It's the only movie showing that night, so it shouldn't end too late for those who have to work the next day. I'd be so happy if we could round up a posse of "ridgy-didgy Aussies" to get dressed up and attend the film.  What a blast it'd be!!"

Anyone interested in attending can visit the G’Day thread in the International Zone, or PM BBM-Intern for more info.

Brokeback Stars embrace the Biopic Era

A whole slew of upcoming biographical films promise to reveal the lives of the infamous and the obscure, the loved and the loathed. Ginanne Brownell, writing in Newsweek International, has this to say:

“Think of the Brontë sisters and what comes to mind? Images of desolate moors and drafty evenings spent, quill in hand, at a desk before flickering candles. And what about Jane Austen, the original doyenne of chick lit? For years our impression of these beloved novelists has come mostly from their fictional creations, although a few weighty biographies have been written about them. But soon we will get to know them through a far more colorful and glamorous medium: the Hollywood biopic. Next March, Anne Hathaway will portray Bath's favorite literary daughter in "Becoming Jane," and later in the year, Michelle Williams is scheduled to appear as Charlotte in "Brontë."”

At present, both Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams are involved in filming a biopic on the life of Bob Dylan, and rumors abound regarding Jake Gyllenhaal’s possible involvement in a Lance Armstrong biopic. The four Brokeback stars join the ever-growing list of actors who have illuminated the lives of figures ranging from Johnny Cash to Howard Hughes and Che Guevara on the big screen.

"Ideally, cinema helps us make sense of our lives and how we have arrived where we are now," says Sandra Hebron, the artistic director of the London Film Festival. "Biopics can do that."

From the Book Thread: James McGreevey

BBM fans on this thread have been talking about the interview with Larry King that TDS linked you to on Monday, in which Oprah interviewed James McGreevey, author of the book 'The Confession'

In August 2004, Governor James E. McGreevey of New Jersey made history when he stepped before microphones, declared "My truth is that I am a gay American," and announced his resignation. The story made international headlines but what led to that moment was a human and political drama more complex and fascinating than anyone knew. Now, in this extraordinarily candid memoir, McGreevey shares his story of a life of ambition, moral compromise, and redemption.

His book is now available on Amazon.  (If you're interested in buying, please remember to go via our Site Store.)

Picture This: Ennis at the Folsom Street Fair

by michaelflanagansf

If Ennis ever came out of his shell, do you think he'd wear chaps to San Francisco?  If so he'd fit right in to the Folsom Street Fair, San Francisco's annual celebration of everything leathery (Visit their website. CAREFUL - may not be work appropriate).  I've been going to the fair for several years now, and I was a little disappointed when I first got there - I thought things were getting a tad too middle of the road (not entirely surprising given certain recent informaton).  Turns out I shouldn't have worried - as I waded into the crowd I saw that there were a requsite number of people who brought their 'pets' with them and folks that you didn't need to ask if they were happy to see you.  Being of a literary bent my favorite t-shirt was a Dr. Seuss quote 'would you, could you, with a goat', but 'sheep fear me' was a close second.  You'll be happy (horrified?) to know that 'Brokeback' was well represented there - several booths had 'Brokeback' t-shirts and there were lots of folks wearing them too.  And, of course, there were lots of cowboys in attendance (nearly as many as police).

Aside from the local color the fair always brings out great performers.  The Trannyshack set is always worth catching (Visit their website. - work safe, but scary).  This year Kimo did an incredible performance “20 Years of Madonna in 20 Minutes” (which, along with several of the artist's works included a Golden Globe acceptance speech and the artist falling from a horse).  The fair wound up with a performance by the band 'My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult' who performed a wonderful retrospective set of songs that included material from the 90's forward.

If you're ever in San Francisco at this time of year it's a must see - you'll see things there that you won't see elsewhere (leave the kids at home, however).  Oh, and if you do come, let me know if you see Ennis there....

The Brokeback Mountain Effect

The Brokeback Mountain effect is apparently alive and well and living in New York City.

A recent US study shows that almost 12% of men who say they are straight have in fact had sex with a man in the past year. These men are adamant that they are not gay. They were more likely to belong to a minority racial group, be foreign-born, have a low level of education and at least 70% were married. The study involved more than 4000 men and is one of the largest examinations of men's sexual identity compared to their actual sexual behavior. Conducted by the New York Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, it was published this month in Annals of Internal Medicine.

Commenting on this report, Rodney Croome, a spokesman for the Australian Coalition for Equality, says this: "We are talking about men who in a different cultural context may identify as gay, but because they are from backgrounds where it is frowned upon, they find it almost impossible to identify as gay, so while they continue to have sex with men they would feel pressure to marry and conform." See original article here.

Infidelity Expert Shares Tips on Detecting Signs of Same Sex Infidelity

Ruth Houston, infidelity expert and the author of Is He Cheating on You? – 829 Telltale Signs, is also the founder of www.InfidelityAdvice.com.  Houston is frequently called on by the media to comment on celebrity infidelity, high profile infidelity cases, and popular infidelity issues in the news. Her expertise includes more than 13 years of in-depth research on various aspects of infidelity.

Last year, in response to the growing number of questions from her readers and website visitors about gay / bisexual married men and the signs of same sex infidelity, Houston compiled a 2-part tip sheet entitled “The Same Sex 16” which describes a discreet 3-step procedure women can use to find out if their husbands are sexually involved with other men. It lists 16 specific things to be alert for.

“Requests for the “Same Sex 16” tip sheet quadrupled after Brokeback Mountain made its debut,” says Houston. “Very little has been written about the signs of same sex infidelity. Yet it’s an issue about which women are becoming increasingly concerned.”

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by B73

Ennis (thinking): "Let's see now.  Go downstairs, shake his hand--no.  Maybe go downstairs, give him a hug, then shake his hand--no, not that either.  Maybe just say "Good to see ya."  Naw. Maybe shake his hand, suggest we go somewhere for a drink?  Yeah, that's good.  Well, but maybe a bit impersonal.  How 'bout if I bend him over the stair railin' and give him what for right there?  Naw, too public.  I know: slam him 'gainst the wall, then drag him off to a motel room.  That's just the right balance of cordiality and discretion."

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

Assistant editors:  elle_ann and kmich

Columnists:  PeteinPortland, , cynical21, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf, sparky

Proofreader/Researcher:  Gonzo (twistedboy), gnash, Sparky

Today’s edition produced by elle_ann and tellyouwhat ellen@davecullen.com

Contributors:  bbm-intern, B73

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:00:16 PM by BrokenOkie »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 12:52:27 AM »
I have a very happy announcement.

Our forum started with a handful of moderators and Melisande overseeing them as Chief Moderator. I have been incredibly pleased with Melisande and she has been my closest advisor, but the job is too much for one person. We are now up to well over 25 moderators, which is more than any sane manager can handle.

So for quite some time she and I have been talking about deputizing someone to support her, and I think you're going to be happy with our choice. We are very excited to announce that Killersmom (aka Linda, aka Auntie) has accepted our invitation to take on the position of Deputy Chief Moderator.

On the rare occasion that you have a problem with a moderator, you can contact either Melisande or Killersmom.

---

I would also like to send my best wishes to the Slashers meeting in Chicago this weekend, and the Europeans (and a few yanks) meeting in London. It's very exciting to see so many gatherings continue. I really wish I could be at both of them.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:21:21 PM by Dave Cullen »

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 06:24:39 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Sept 28, 2006

Jake in the CIA?

From The Hollywood Reporter, Borys Kit tells us:  "Jake Gyllenhaal and Reese Witherspoon are in final negotiations to star in New Line Cinema's Rendition, Gavin Hood's follow-up to his Oscar-winning South African feature Tsotsi.

Written by Kelly Sane, the multilayered story revolves around a CIA analyst based in Cairo who finds his world spinning out of control after he witnesses the interrogation of a foreign national by the Egyptian secret police.  Gyllenhaal will play the analyst, while Witherspoon will play the pregnant American wife of the national."

For the entire article, go to The Hollywood Reporter.

Announcement from Dave Cullen

I have a very happy announcement.

Our forum started with a handful of moderators and Melisande overseeing them as Chief Moderator. I have been incredibly pleased with Melisande and she has been my closest advisor, but the job is too much for one person. We are now up to well over 25 moderators, which is more than any sane manager can handle.

So for quite some time she and I have been talking about deputizing someone to support her, and I think you're going to be happy with our choice. We are very excited to announce that Killersmom (aka Linda, aka Auntie) has accepted our invitation to take on the position of Deputy Chief Moderator.

On the rare occasion that you have a problem with a moderator, you can contact either Melisande or Killersmom.

I would also like to send my best wishes to the Slashers meeting in Chicago this weekend, and the Europeans (and a few yanks) meeting in London. It's very exciting to see so many gatherings continue. I really wish I could be at both of them.

Thread of the Day: Character Analysis of Jack Twist

Rosewood and others are having an interesting discussion on today's Thread of the Day about Jack.  Here is an excerpt from her post:

"I believe that it is Ennis's physical attractiveness that first scores with Jack. This is what Jack focuses on, in the beginning.  But it quickly changes as he becomes more attracted to Ennis's reclusive 'self.'  For WHATEVER reason, this 'self' must be what Jack responds to and this is what triggers his life long love.

Maybe the mere fact that he's capable of making Ennis shine is something new for Jack.  Maybe it is the first time he's had an actual positive effect on ANYONE."

Maybe this is what he's been needing all along.

jnow chimes in with this follow-up:

"I think sometimes when a person is all bubbly and sunshine other people tend to take that person at face value and on a rather superficial level.  I can see Jack never really feeling like anyone ever bothered to get to know HIM.  The whole him underneath the quick smile and easy nature.  But Ennis does.  Ennis needs Jack, probably in a way no one has ever needed him before.  Ennis blooms under Jack's love and that can give quite a power rush to the bloomer.  Jack is a nurturer and he loves watching how he, and only he, can make Ennis bloom.  Maybe that is what keeps Jack coming back for more."

Go to Character Analysis of Jack Twist to follow the whole discussion.

Photos of the Day

What's not to like?

The Misadventures of Sparky:  Dating Deal Breakers, Part 1

As TDS's newest columnist, Sparky will be giving us glimpses into his life.  While he grew-up in Portland, he has been a resident of Southern California for some years where he resides in his hill-top abode with his two adorable parrots.  He's a set decorator for various television shows but doesn't let the Hollywood glam life envelope him as you can spot him on any given day dressed in cowboy hat and boots and driving his green truck.  Watch for his amusing ramblings every Thursday.

by Sparky

So, with all the heavy terror business, the "war", and various other tragic, world ending crap going on, I am taking some time to think about my own personal business.  I need a distraction.  I can't fix Iraq, I certainly cannot stop "terror", and I can't make Rosie get along with all the other gals on The View.  Life goes on, nonetheless.  And we all have personal things to think about.  Besides, my show is going slowly.  I have a lot of free time.  My mind is in overdrive.  Humor Me.

Other than a serious, intense, few months run-in with an Australian, I have been resolutely single for about 29 months.  But recently, I have been entertaining the idea of actually dating again.  God knows why.  I have plenty of friends, a small, revolving set of hunky sex buddies, and plenty of things to keep me busy.  It seems, for whatever reason, that it might be time to actually make a connection with a guy that involves more than 2 hours, a shower, and a towel.  Maybe it isn't, but some strange chemical is compelling me to like, go to dinner with someone.  Perhaps it is those 3 or 4 guys pestering me to go out with them - the ones I am steadfastly refusing.

In considering this possibility, I can't help but wonder:

What are my dating deal breakers?

Since I am homo, some of my issues may be culture specific.  Nonetheless, I suspect they will translate to most everyone.  People are screwed up and messy in all circles.  Having had a deal breaker list long enough to choke a goat for most of my adult life, I am thinking it may have grown and shifted a bit in recent years.

How can a potential date be avoided or called off completely?  Let me count the ways.

Sexual Hang-ups

Considering that I am an adult, and would date adults, I expect a certain level of experience and comfort.  No uptight nut bags who do 1 or 2 things on the menu.  Wake up everybody, your body has nerve endings everywhere.  Relax already.  And for God's sake, keep the unsafe sex practitioners in line at the free clinic.  BTW, the other fad in the gay community lately is barebacking, while doing crystal meth.  Can you say, altogether now…Death Wish Combo plate, extra stupid, hold the logic?  Sparky doesn't want an STD appetizer platter.  Drug bags and fluid swappers, step aside.  Oh, and 1975 called.  It wants its party back.

Editor's Note:  Stay tuned to next week for more "Deal Breakers" as Sparky explores the world of dating!

PhotoCap of the Day

by Jannis

Methodist minister: "Now what I want is the wife to stay in the main home where the society says.  But
the husband, he's gonna pitch an imaginary tent on the QT with his boyfriend and he's gonna sleep there.
You eat you supper and breakfast in the home but you sleep with the boyfriend hundred percent.  No moaning, don't leave no mess.  Roll up that tent every mornin' in case the wife snoops around.
You got your girls, your wedding ring, you sleep there."

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

Proofreader/Researcher:  Gonzo (twistedboy), gnash, and Sparky

Contributors:  Jannis   

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:03:24 PM by BrokenOkie »

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 10:44:12 PM »
The Daily Sheet
September 29, 2006

Get-Togethers Underway

Members in London are getting excited about the countdown to their meeting on Saturday afternoon.  Laurentia posted in the London Get Together Thread:  “I'm enormously excited! My problem is usually that I'm quiet in groups where I don't know anyone… I'm quite confident that I'll be okay in this group, however; quiet or timid people who went to the BBQ have stated that they for once didn't have any problems since in a sense, we all already know each other.

If others’ experience is any guide, you will find forum members have a special bond, and time seems to fly even quicker than the gab.

Over in Le Bar Slash, some members who can’t make it to the Midwest Slash Bash are carrying on the tradition, started during the Texas BBQ, of changing their avatars to skeleton pics.  The  “skeleton crew” will be on hand to keep each other company.

Lintelómiel wrote: “I have the perfectest skeleton avatar.”

Skeleton crew this weekend in Le Bar Slash

Countdown to The Front Runner  Discussion

All are invited to join the discussion of Patricia Nell Warren’s novel The Front Runner, which will begin Monday.  Discussion of the first quarter of the book (Chapters 1 through 5) will run through the week.  To see the entire discussion schedule please click here to go to the Book Club Thread.

In addition, the book club has already lined up the NEXT book for disussion in November.  The choice is Jesus’ Son:  Stories by Denis Johnson, which is available at Amazon.  Please enter through our Ultimate Brokeback Store to benefit the forum.

Try This: Wear Your Cowboy Hat in the City

Jerome posted in The General Discussion, “Driving through farmland on the way to Muskoka, one farm had a big sign 'Antiques' so we stopped and I bought me a beige, corduroy (!) cowboy hat. Muskoka is a few hours north of Toronto, in Canada.

When I wear the hat in the city, people treat me differently. They are kinder. Toronto is a very hard city; people are afraid of each other, here, and not very kind to each other. The difference is immediately noticeable…”

Member’s Photo Album

Eyelashers and Photocapsters alike love imagining themselves inhabiting the fur of Jake’s various dogs, if only for a few moments.  Backtobrokeback betrays just a tiny amount of jealousy with this photocap:

I'll get you my pretty!  And your little dog too!

Test Your BBM Knowledge

Feeling confident?  Take Marc’s BBM quiz, posted in The General Discussion thread. There are some easy questions, and some difficult. 

I admit, I don’t know the answer to this one:

38.  What other Ang Lee movie is referred to in BBM?

But I bet I know this one:

41.  At Thanksgiving, all men wear string ties except who?

After a few pages of discussion in the thread, Marc posted the answers, so you can test yourself and quickly fill in the gaps of your knowledge, if any exist.  Try it once without cheating, then  click here for the answers. 

National Coming Out Day: Talk About It

National Coming Out Day is observed on October 11 by members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities.  The day commemorates October 11, 1987, when 500,000 people marched on Washington, USA, for gay and lesbian equality.  This year the Human Rights Campaign has created the first online public art project encouraging Americans to Talk About It.

The Snapshot Photo Project celebrates gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and straight Americans who support living openly and talk about the things that make us all different – and just as importantly, the ways that we are all the same.  You can participate by downloading a “Talk About It” sign from the HRC site and posting your own photo on the website. Click here for more details.

Join P!nk-- Talk About It!

HRC in Our Forum

A few weeks ago I asked Brad1963 about his avatar.

I had recently seen the same bumper sticker on a car and wondered what it meant.  Turns out this is the symbol for the Human Rights Campaign, which Brad supports.  He hopes using the symbol as his avatar will help raise awareness in the forum.

Sixteen Signs of Same Sex Infidelity Illustrated

Members have reacted to the official “list of 16 signs” referred to in Wednesday’s Daily SheetLyle posted the list in the  Photo Captioning Fun! thread.  Some members, hoping to clarify the sexual orientation of Jack and Ennis, have looked back to the movie for answers, resulting in some illustrated examples.  Here is one by gnash:

#5--- An abundance of male friends with whom he seems to be too close or too familiar

ennis: honey, hank and bill are comin over for dinner tonight,
so cook us something special okay? remember, bill's semi-vegetarian,
has been since he divorced his wife, so no beef or pork. hmmm, maybe
you could make a nice fish with a fresh vegetable ragout?? and frank, well,
frank's lactose intolerant, so go easy on the milk products. but they both
looove white wine, so fish will work out perfectly with a fruity reisling.

alma: you said HANK and bill. who the hell is frank?

ennis: oops, did i say frank? sorry, i meant hank. frank came last night.

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

17 Oct - Melbourne, Australia - BBM Screening at the Astor Theatre

Today’s edition produced by Ellen Raff (tellyouwhat) ellen@davecullen.com

Contributors:  Laurentia, Lintelómiel, michaelflanagansf, Jerome, marc, backtobrokeback, Brad1963, Lyle (mooska), gnash

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:05:47 PM by BrokenOkie »

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 04:38:38 AM »
The Daily Sheet
September 30, 2006

Today's Daily Sheet edited by Assistant Editor, Kmich.

Member Profile: Casper

Our member profile for today is Casper.  Casper relates his story this way:  "I was born in Baltimore, Maryland.  I moved to Phoenix, Arizona in 1982.  It takes a lot of courage to take up your roots and move clear across the country, especially if you never stepped foot at your destination and have no job waiting for you.  Well, everything worked out swell on my new destiny.  I was soon employed at a bank and I was glad to have made the move.

I own a beautiful home in Phoenix which I share with my brother.  Both of my parents are deceased and I have no other living relatives.  So, it's just my brother and me against the world.  By the way, I do have the best brother anyone could ever ask for!

I live a quiet life and I like it that way.  I'm single and non-attached and it's a bachelor's life for me.  I had a cherished goal that I met last year.  I purchased an authentic and certified set of Beatles autographs.  I am currently a Customer Service Rep for a huge computer conglomerate which I will not outright name.  I will give you three guesses:  Apple, IBM, or Intel. 

I love amusement parks passionately.  They are the happiest places on earth to me.  I feel there couldn't possibly be any wars in the world if people had the same feelings of joy that I experience when I go to an amusement park.  Put all the leaders and dictators in the world for a day at Disneyland and let them be six years old again!

I could cry sometimes when Brokeback Forum members send me PMs or chat with me at Auntie's Diner.  I feel so good inside when someone talks with me."

Profile Questions:

01.  Currently listening to?  A Bigger Bang  CD by the Rolling Stones

02.  Currently reading?  Daily Variety

03.  Biggest challenge?  Trying to memorize a phone book

04.  Your perfect day?  Sunny outside and just a day to have fun

05.  What's your indulgence?  Ice cream, candy, cake

06.  What's you inspiration?  A blue sky outside

07.  Last major Purchase?  An autographed U2 guitar for my brother's birthday

08.  First job?  Waiter

09.  What do you know for sure?  I live in Phoenix, Arizona

10.  Favorite Movie Besides BBM?  The Exorcist

11.  If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?  "Come, meet your Mom."

12.  What brought you to the Forum?  I put in Brokeback Mountain  on my  Internet Browser and I saw this Forum listed.  I gave it a look-see and joined that very day.

13.  Your favorite threads?  Celibate, Gay, and Liking It That Way, all of the Films Threads, Auntie's Diner

14.  How many times have you watched BBM?  Twice

15.  Your favorite BBM scene?  When Jack is carrying the lamb while on horseback

Casper had lots more information he wanted to share with the Forum.  He generously added and answered the following creative questions:

16.  Your fears? The sound of a heart beating, approaching a roller coaster at night, and, of course, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, and Ray Parker Jr.

17.  Favorite TV Show?  Desperate Housewives

18.  Favorite Artists? The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Madonna, Eminem, Gwen Stefani

19.  In a Relationship?  Never was and never will

20.  Your Hobbies?  DVD collecting, Photography, Autographed collectibles

21.  Highest Education Level?  B.A. degree in History (cum laude)

22.  Own Home? Yes, and it's all paid for!

23.  Best Feature about Yourself?  I don't age.  I know that's incredible.

24.  Favorite Holiday?  Christmas

25.  Favorite Place for Vacation?  Las Vegas

26.  Your Birthplace?  Baltimore, Maryland

27.   Drink?  No

28.   Smoke?  No

29.   Describe Yourself?  A happy-go-lucky guy

30.   Shy?  YES!

31.   Favorite color?  emerald green

32.   Zodiac sign?  Pisces

33.   Birthday?  February 27

34:   Favorite Quote?  "Do you believe in Laurel and Hardy?"

35.   If you won the Powerball Lottery?  I would build an amusement park

Casper at Christmas 2005

Thread of the Day: How Brokeback Affected Me

Hope is a quality that is in short supply in Brokeback Mountain ; but killersmom, with some help from fritzkep, WLAGuy, bradINblue, and Jerome had inspiring posts on this very quality and its relation to Brokeback:

fritzkep:  "Even though a happy ending would in effect diminish the power of BBM, you still cannot quiet your deep hopes and longings."

WLAGuy:  "And I find that each time I've seen it, a part of me somehow still keeps hoping things will turn out different this time, that Ennis will say 'Yes'."

bradINblue:  "A few of us did fall in love with that cowboy and were lucky enough to navigate the muck through to certain clarity."

Jerome:  "If you think in shackles, you'll find yourself chained.  Thank god for art, and for thinking, for cleaned hearts, and for turning a different corner and starting again."

Killersmom: "'Hope springs eternal in the human breast....'

This is the main thought that comes to mind when reading just a few of the posts I excerpted above.  This is the theme that comes to mind for me and for many of us.

Hope that one day love expressed will be love equal for all, no matter what sex.
Hope that those who want a recognized legal union may have it, wherever they reside.
Hope that for those who have been lucky enough to find their cowboy and live the good life to continue in their journey and show others....there is hope.
Hope for those who have not yet found that cowboy that one is out there, maybe where you least expect them.
Hope that those who have arrived at a settled time in their lives continue to be satisfied and happy.
Hope that we who have seen this movie and are gut-punched and life-changed, no matter what our sex or orientation, go forth like many here, be brave and make changes, no matter how small.

This movie, no matter how gutwrenching and without hope it is, acts as a catalyst and opens our eyes and hearts and has the opposite effect for all of us.....to give us hope."

An Essay on Man, Epistle I

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

-Alexander Pope, 1733

Go to How Brokeback Affected Me to follow this discussion.

PhotoCap of the Day

By TwistandShout

Your brother and sister might not have done you right, but I will.

New Thread

rob1318 has started a new thread, What questions would you ask Alfie Creighton?  As rob explains:

"Alfie worked directly under Ray Breckenridge as the actual fellow who was responsible for the vehicles used in the movie such as www.thebrokebacktruck.ca and making sure they were on the sets at the proper time. (usually driving them himself).  He is listed in the credits as a driver, drove the Brokeback Truck at the start and the semi that Ennis got out of.  I have spoken with him.....he's an interesting guy and has a wealth of information and stories to share.  Alfie also appears in the stands in the rodeo scene where Jack is riding and Lureen comes over to watch from behind the red bars.  He has a moustache and is directly to the left of Lureen.  Ray Breckenridge is to the left of Alfie....both are wearing white cowboy hats.

Valentine has gotten things started by asking, "how and why did it come to be that the 1950 GMC pickup was selected as a vehicle?"

If you'd like to hear what Alfie has to say, go to the Ask Alfie Creighton thread and read his responses. 

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

17 Oct - Melbourne, Australia - BBM Screening at the Astor Theatre

Contributors:  Casper, TwistandShout

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:09:27 PM by BrokenOkie »

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 06:16:48 AM »
The Daily Sheet
October 1, 2006

Member Profile:  PlanetGal471

I am originally from the D.C. area but moved to Minnesota two years ago to pursue a PhD in astrophysics.  I'm currently a graduate teaching assistant in the Astronomy Department at the University of Minnesota.  I graduated in 2004 from the University of Maryland with degrees in physics and astronomy, and a minor in British and American Lit.  I'm 24, married, and have a dog and a cat.  I read and write Brokeback fanfiction, I dabble in graphics, and I enjoy hiking, horseback riding, skiing, and anything else that gives me an excuse to be outside.

Profile Questions:

01.  Currently listening to?  Kaoru Wada's instrumental soundtrack to the anime InuYasha.

02.  Currently reading?  All I have time to read any more is Brokeback Mountain  fanfic.

03.  Biggest challenge?  Graduate school, and maintaining self-confidence in the face of overwhelmingly difficult science and limited support and confidence from others.

04.  Your perfect day?  One that starts with the dawn dew creeping through the tent, and ends with a campfire competing against a blanket of stars for attention.

05.  What's your indulgence?  Does fanfiction count?  I have also been known to eat more ice cream than I ought to.

06.  What's you inspiration?  Nature, especially astronomy.  We are so small in the Universe.

07.  Last major Purchase?  A used car last summer, I guess.

08.  First job?  Engineering Aid for the USDA.  I was completely underqualified and miserable, for the most part.  I did get to do some pesticide field work that I loved, though.

09.  What do you know for sure?  I know God exists.

10.  Favorite Movie Besides BBM? Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

11.  If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?  "We keep our research-class telescopes right over here, and you never have to apply for observing time, but no, you can't have the answers.  Although I will show you some dark matter."

12.  What brought you to the Forum?  Sheera.  Mostly I do whatever Sheera tells me to.  ;D

13.  Your favorite threads?  Slash Discussion, Le Bar Slash, and MTF FTM WTF.

14.  How many times have you watched BBM?  Thrice in the theaters, once on DVD all the way through, and twice on DVD without being able to make it to the ending.

15.  Your favorite BBM scene?  That's an utterly impossible question.  All of them.  I do credit the reunion kiss with attracting my interest to the movie in the first place.

October Birthdays!

Beej63..........................Oct.2nd

Jack..............................Oct.29th

Ottoblom......................Oct.30th

Please remember if you'd like your birthday announced in TDS, please PM Nellie at mcnell1120.

If you want to wish these members a Happy Birthday or check out your own salutations on that special day please visit the Happy Birthday Thread!!.

Pat's Prints

by Pat Sinnott

Jack's Dream

Question of the Day

Desertrat posted this provoking question in the Non believers who love Brokeback Mountain thread this week:  What happens after death (besides of nothing. sorry, dear friends who believe there is nothing - i want ideas that involve something.  since this is a non-believers thread, no heaven and little sheep clouds and angels, of course....but...something) ?

Interesting replies have appeared including one from Vic.  Here is the beginning, but please visit the Non believers... thread to read his reply in total as well as other replies:

"As a believer in Nothing I can accept the idea of a couple of Next To Nothings as well.  I certainly don't go for a Heaven and Hell idea, that sounds too much man-made to me and always has.  I can't sing worth a damn so wearing white with wings and floating around yammering for eternity doesn't work for me, nor does Hell and damnation.  Besides, I think there would be very few people who would deserve either 100% so it must be busy at the check-in office while St. Peter and some jury of peers make up their final judgements.  All too silly for me to even consider as an after-life reality."

PhotoCaps of the Day

I wish I knew how to SNIT you.

by magicmountain

We'll most likely just go out and get drunk. If he shows.

by Jannis

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

Proofreader/Researcher:  Gonzo (twistedboy), Jimmy (gnash) and Sparky

Contributors:  PlanetGal471, McNell1120, magicmountain, Jannis

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:12:27 PM by BrokenOkie »

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 09:50:50 AM »
FYI to our UK folks:

It's not 100% set, but an early heads up. It looks like I'll be on one of ITN's evening news broadcasts tonight, discussing the recent spate of school shootings. Details coming. (And keep in mind that TV shows tend to overbook, so I may still be cut.)

Also, I'm quoted extensively in today's Balimore Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-crime1002,0,2522591.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

And I have been posting about it on my blog--more coming:

http://blogs.salon.com/0001137/