The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Musical Score  (Read 412629 times)

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
Re: The Musical Score
« Reply #1020 on: August 19, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
There may be a difference but the one I'm talking about has 35 tracks... a different kettle of fish.
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1021 on: August 19, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
35! cool sounds great i wanna get it!
John 'Marz' Wayne

Marc

« Reply #1022 on: August 21, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »
I continue in my quest to send a fan letter to Thomas Newman, composer of the Shawkshank score including the beautiful piece used at the end of the BBM trailer and at Buzz Images.  I listen to it several times a day.  I also bought the Shawshank CD.  The piece is the last track on the CD and is slightly different from what's on Buzz Images's site.  The Buzz Images version is prettier.

From the web I sent an e-mail to ASCAP asking for help.  No answer.  So I called the 800 number for membership services and the lady was very helpful.  The problem was Newman is an member of BMI, not ASCAP.

So, onward to BMI.  I sent another e-mail, though this one went from my own e-mail to theirs earlier this week.  No answer yet.

Marc

« Reply #1023 on: October 14, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »
After a couple of e-mails to BMI, I called them.  They suggested I contact Newman's publisher, and gave me a name and number in Los Angeles.  I called them and was advised they didn't handle fan mail.  Fuck it.  I've done enough.

Offline shane88

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1024 on: October 17, 2008, 12:26:42 AM »
Anybody Can Help Me Find 'The Complete Score' (Oscar Promo)
I Can't seem To Find The BM Global Stage Orchestra Soundtrack.

I'm Making A Big BrokeBack Site, So If You Can Help Me With One Of Those Send Me A Private Message.

If You Are Still A Brokeaholic And You have Interesting Movie Stuff Related To Share, (Anything, I Want A Really Big Brokeback Blog, And I need your help!)

Please.

Brokeaholics Are Still Alive!!!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:36:09 AM by shane88 »

Offline shane88

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1025 on: November 10, 2008, 09:07:47 PM »
I Have The Score

Tracklist:

01. Brokeback Mountain 1
02. Brokeback Mountain 2
03. Brokeback Mountain 3
04. Camp
05. Carrying Sheep
06. Closet
07. Crying In Alley
08. Ending
09. Flashback
10. Getting Drunk
11. Harmonica #1
12. Harmonica #2
13. Horse Love
14. Jack Deceased
15. Kiss
16. Opening
17. Post Office
18. Riding Horses
19. Snow
20. The Wings
21. Tractors
22. You Are Late

I Know The Are Some Songs Missing, If Someone Can Give Some Links I'll Be Very Grateful.
Please If There's Some Brokeaholic out There who could give me a hand, the score it's very hard to find at this time...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:16:29 PM by shane88 »

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #1026 on: November 11, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
Shane, I'm not sure why you are having difficulty finding material. The commercially available CD will provide you with most of the songs used, both specially written for the film and previously available, plus the film credits (and the BBM: Story To Screenplay book) lists other material, some of which is not available anywhere as far as I know. Anything labeled Mastersource falls into this category. Googling Mastersource will explain.

Put all that together with what you already have (which is all the music, as opposed to songs, composed for the film, and which I see is listed alphabetically rather than as it occurs)  and you end up with as complete a soundtrack list as you are likely to get.

Offline shane88

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1027 on: November 11, 2008, 03:13:54 PM »
You Are Saying To Combine The BM Soundtrack with the Score To Get  Most Of The Songs Right?
OK I'll Try To Find More Songs And Combine Soundtracks, Because I've Found Some Broken Links With 36 Tracks http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/854388.html
And There Are A few Songs That I Didn't Know That Existed.

I'll Try To Get This Tracklist:

This is the list of the FULL soundtrack.

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN MUSIC & SONG LIST
(in order of appearance in film)
1."Universal Pictures fanfare" On-screen Universal Pictures title card
2."Focus Features fanfare" On-screen Focus Features title card
3."River Road Entertainment fanfare" On-screen River Road Entertainment title card
4."Opening" Gustavo Santaolalla - Start of film; Ennis arrives in Signal, Wyo.
5. "Brokeback Mountain #1" Gustavo Santaolalla - Jack & Ennis embark on shepherding trip
6. "Camp" Gustavo Santaolalla - Jack and Ennis herd sheep and establish campsite #1 on Brokeback Mountain
7. (same as No. 36) "Riding Horses" Gustavo Santaolalla - Jack rides away from camp, naps with sheep; Ennis carves wooden horse while it rains; "no more beans;" Ennis washes blue coffee pot in stream.
8. "The Cowboy's Lament" (Also known as "The Streets Of Laredo") Public Domain - Hummed by Ennis on horseback just before his encounter with the bear on the trail.
9. "Carrying Sheep" Gustavo Santaolalla - Montage: Jack asleep by log, setting up campsite #2, "tent don't look right" comment
10. "Harmonica #1" Gustavo Santaolalla - Jack plays a riff of "He was a Friend of Mine" (No. 53 of this list)
11. "Water Walkin' Jesus" - Jack and Ennis talk religion around campfire
12. "Getting Drunk " Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis, drunk, tosses whiskey bottle, then falls asleep outdoors next to campfire
13. "Horse Love" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis rides off from camp; finds dead sheep; joins Jack overlooking meadow; passionate scene in tent that night at camp; Joe Aguirre spies on Jack and Ennis with binoculars
14. "Harmonica #2" Gustavo Santaolalla - Jack plays a riff of "He was a Friend of Mine" (No. 53 of this list) on horseback after having separated the mixed-up sheep herds
15. "Crying In Alley" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis breaks down, sobbing and sick to his stomach, in an alley in Signal, Wyoming
16. "Snow" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis and Alma ride toboggan; Ennis and Timmy spread asphalt; Alma & Ennis watch movie at drive-in theater
17. "Jukebox" Ken Strange, Randall Pugh, Ron Guffnett - playing on Jack's pickup truck radio as he arrives in Signal in 1964
18. "Trust In Lies" The Raven Shadows featuring Tim Ferguson - Jack tries to buy Jimbo a beer
19. "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" (John Brown's Body) (Solidarity Forever) - Amateur band performs prior to the 4th of July fireworks show
20. "I Will Never Let You Go" Instrumental / Jackie Green - Jack meets Lureen at the Rodeo Dance (Instrumental version in the film is Credited as: "I Won't Let You Go," by Santaolalla)
21. "No One's Gonna Love You Like Me" Mary McBride/Santaolalla - Jack and Lureen dance at the Rodeo Dance
22. "All Night Blues" The Raven Shadows - Song quietly playing on Lureen's car radio
23. <Unknown Tune (no listed credit for this tune)> <Heard on a music box in the nursery when Lureen's parents visit their new grandson>
24. "Post Office" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis mails Jack the "You bet." postcard
25. "Kiss" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis and Jack reunited in Riverton
26. "Brokeback Mountain #2" Gustavo Santaolalla - Alma cries as Ennis and Jack take off; they arrive and jump naked from cliff into lake; "It could always be like this" campfire scene
27. "Flashback" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis describes Rich and Earl
28. "The Wings" Gustavo Santaolalla - Alma & Ennis fight in front of their girls (playing on swings)
29. "Tractors" Gustavo Santaolalla - Jack shows off a new combine; Alma reads Jack's postcard; Jack hunts for the blue parka
29a. "I Love Doing Texas With You" Kevin Trainor - plays on Lureen's office radio while Jack hunts for blue parka, etc.
30. "You Are Late" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis arrives with horses in truck, Jack says "You're late." Horse riding scenes; Jack and a young Bobby ride "no hands" in a giant tractor; Ennis feeds hay.
31. "King Of The Road" Roger Miller - Jack sings with radio while driving to visit Ennis Note: Roger Miller's hit version is heard in the film; Soundtrack Album's version is performed by Teddy Thompson and Rufus Wainwright)
32. "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" Emmylou Harris - Jack leaves Ennis and drives south on highway towards the Mexican border
33. "Quizas, Quizas, Quizas" Rick Garcia - Jack picks up a hustler in Juarez, Mexico
34. "Capriccio Espagnol Op. 34" Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, performed by Philharmonia Slavonica - Music for the figure skaters on TV during Thanksgiving at Alma and Monroe's
35. "Mason Dixon Line" Jeff Wilson - playing in the bar during the fight in the street
36. "Riding Horses" Gustavo Santaolalla - Jack and Ennis ride horses; camp by the river; Ennis washes blue coffee pot in stream.
37. "For What It's Worth" <Stephen Stills/Buffalo Springfield> <Line spoken by Jack. Referenced by title used as dialogue, but actual song is not heard in movie>
38. "The Devil's Right Hand" Steve Earle - Ennis meets Cassie Cartwright at Riverton bar
39. "It's So Easy" Buddy Holly, performed by Linda Ronstadt - Ennis and Cassie at Riverton bar
40. "An Angel Went Up In Flames" The Gas Band - Dancing at the Childress Benefit Dance
41. "I Don't Want To Say Goodbye" Teddy Thompson - Jack dances with Lashawn at the Benefit Dance
42. "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" Tammy Wynette - Ennis, Cassie and Alma Jr. at the Riverton bar
43. "Melissa" The Allman Brothers - Ennis, Cassie and Alma Jr. at the Riverton bar
44. "I'll Be Gone" T. Gadsden/F. Peterson - Song heard softly on Ennis's truck radio as he drops Alma Junior back home and drives off
45. "Brokeback Mountain #3" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis and Jack's final trip; argument at lake; flashback scene of happier days back in 1963
46. Ennis hums unknown tune to Jack in flashback scene
47. "I'm Always On A Mountain When I Fall" Merle Haggard - Heard in the background in bus station/diner
48. "Jack Deceased" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis collects mail and discovers "Deceased" message stamped on his returned postcard
49. "Big Rock Candy Mountain" Harry McClintock <Referenced by key lyrics used as dialogue, but actual song is not heard in movie. Line spoken by Lureen: "Where bluebirds sing and there's a whisky spring.">
50. "Closet" Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis discovers the two shirts in Jack's closet; leaves the Twist home; truck drives on highway.
51. "Eyes Of Green" Jeff Wilson - Song heard on Alma Jr.'s car radio when she arrives at Ennis's trailer
52. "Ending" (version of "The Wings") Gustavo Santaolalla - Ennis at the closet
53. "He Was A Friend Of Mine" Willie Nelson - Roll of end credits
54. "The Maker Makes" Rufus Wainwright - Roll of end credits

I Don't Want This Only For Myself, I Want To share This With Anyone Who Really Loves This Beautiful And Tragic History, and I Really want To make This Available For Anyone.

I Know That Some 'Rare' Tracks From The Film Was easier to find a few years ago, But now i think they are lost.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #1028 on: November 11, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »
Shane, the list you cite above may have just a couple of errors. Once you have the full soundtrack, you can check it out for yourself. Do you have the said s/t?  :)
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline shane88

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1029 on: November 11, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »
Does Anybody have the Global Stage Orchestra?
Is It Good?

Shane, the list you cite above may have just a couple of errors. Once you have the full soundtrack, you can check it out for yourself. Do you have the said s/t?  :)

what mistakes?

I Have The 22 tracks Original Score, the soundtrack, and some mixes.
but i don't have the global stage orchestra.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1030 on: November 11, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »
Music from Brokeback Mountain
Global Stage Orchestra

Price:  $12.98 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. 

Available in our Forum Store at Amazon

http://astore.amazon.com/davecullencom-20/detail/B000EWBNDM

Offline shane88

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1031 on: November 11, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »
Music from Brokeback Mountain
Global Stage Orchestra

Price:  $12.98 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. 

Available in our Forum Store at Amazon

http://astore.amazon.com/davecullencom-20/detail/B000EWBNDM

Thanks, But I'm Asking For An Opinion.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1032 on: November 11, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »
Ok

My opinion is that the GSO album sucks.

Here's a review from Amazon that says exactly what I think:

As the title of this review implies. The music of the soundtrack, sounds as if it's being performed a quarter or a half step out of phase.
It sounds terrible! I thought that this would be an orchestral version of
Santollala's wonderful film score.
And the bonus tracks are taken from live recording, rather than studio tracks. A bad buy. Skip this one!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1033 on: November 11, 2008, 07:41:50 PM »
This track is nice. I listen to it a lot.

Brokeback Mountain Suite

by City Of Prague Philharmonic

http://www.amazon.com/Brokeback-Mountain-Suite/dp/B001AKYIDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1226457631&sr=8-1

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1034 on: November 11, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »
This album is not based on the soundtrack, but it's worth a listen.

The poetic lyrics and poignant melodies on Shawn Kirchner’s new CD, Meet Me on the Mountain, captured my heart the first time I heard them. The songs are a mix of foot-stompin’ bluegrass, polished country, and soulful folk, inspired by the film, Brokeback Mountain.

Annie Proulx’s short story by the same name first appeared in The New Yorker in 1997. Later, it was adapted into an Oscar-winning screenplay by Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry, triggering heartfelt responses from around the world.

Kirchner’s songs offer an added dimension of emotional depth to the scenes and characters that inspired them. Yet the songs also stand solidly on their own, as Kirchner has carefully crafted both music and lyrics to be independent of the famous story.

Anyone who has ever loved someone who was outside the confines of socially acceptable partners is bound to be particularly touched by this music.

more...

http://www.opednews.com/articles/life_a_meryl_an_080326_meet_me_on_the_mount.htm