The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News & Current Events  (Read 1123722 times)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
Re: News & Current Events
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2009, 10:27:57 PM »
do we have a smiley for clapping hands.. ROFLMAO  :D :D
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
New info on Jack the Ripper. Now they are saying Jack was perhaps a woman. I don't know but this is still a fascinating story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/15/was-jack-the-ripper-a-wom_n_158143.html

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2009, 11:13:07 AM »
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:22:02 AM by brokebacktom »

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
BIG GAY POLITICAL SCANDAL ...breaking news
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2009, 04:19:20 AM »
brace yourselves ladies and gentlemen we have fresh fuel for the homophobes and right wingers coming to us courtesy of portland oregon.  SAM ADAMS, popular newly minted mayor of portland just admitted to a sexual relationship with a teen aged intern back in 2005, which he denied vigorously, and apparently convinced the 17/18 year old lad to lie as well.

this might be a minor scandal except for two things.  first he lied his face off at the time the original allegations were made, impugning another gay man, also a potential mayoral candidate, and second because oregon has a rather archaic age of consent... 18 years of age.

it remains to be seen if he will be charged with a felony as a legal consequence, and he has unquestionably morally erred by taking advantage of a mentoring relationship with a young may 25 years his junior.

follow up articles abound, here are search results...

http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1294985842

and all the gay blogs will be on it by tomorrow, some are already.

hold onto your hats, the shit is going to get really deep.   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:29:50 AM by jack »

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2009, 09:07:23 AM »
I read the story On Huffington Post. It seems that the teenager just turned 18 when the affair took place. So, if that is the case, so whats the big deal. Him lying about it?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »
No, the big deal is not the lying, it's the fact that they are both male.

Don't you just love how most of those headlines refer to the intern as a 'teenager' ?

If that same 'teenager' had commited some crime like robbery or assault, I know they'd be calling him a 'man'. When a 17 year old commits a crime, everyone pushes to have that kid tried as an adult.

It reminds me of a story from several years ago where an 18 year old gay "man" was accused of molesting a 25 year old "student"

The same people who are screaming bloody murder over this probably wouldn't have any problem sending an 18 year old to Iraq to kill someone.

I had sex with a man in his 60's when I was 17 and I never felt used. It was my decision, and really nobody else's business.

Now if Sam Adams had been a female school teacher, I'll bet we'd be reading a wedding announcement instead of this.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
re posting...

sorry john, as someone whose life experience has put him in the position to mentor,  teach and counsel impressionable youth, gay and straight, i have been taught, and had reinforced by professional and personal codes, that to have a sexual relationship with someone in my tutelage was reprehensible, and an abuse of station.

for a teach to sleep with a student, a psychiatrist to sleep with a patient, a counselor to sleep with a client, or a priest to sleep with a parishioner is ground for dismissal.

on top of that he didn't just lie about the relationship, he defamed another competitor for office to that man's lasting detriment.  these are not signs of great character.

as for the youth status, there is quite simply oregon law to take into consideration, and the age of consent is oregon is 18.  while adams and breedlove state the relationship was consummated after his birthday, they had had some contact well before that, ostensibly, by his own testimony, to aid him in dealing with coming out.  hard to swallow, if you'll pardon a pun.  if there is corroboration that he did indeed stray in advance, he is still within the statute of limitation.  is 18 a reasonable legal age?  i don't think so... however, adams was a man in politics with aspirations, and a gay man to boot, dating a 17 year old is clintonian hubris or idiocy.

not my choice as a sterling example of a gay leader.

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »
Another story of police brutality. Come on Fox News he is one of yours. He was arrested for nonviolent arrest. So, I look like that with a nonviolent what would I look like if I had a violent arrest. IS Our country heading to a police state? No one questions this? 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/21/russell-rhodes-tampa-fox_n_159663.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2009, 10:57:43 PM »

Here's a little background on a donation we're making with funds we raised from the sale of the Forum's book.

Our book Beyond Brokeback sold well beyond expectations: roughly 1,300 copies. We grossed about $6,800, some of which we plowed back into the marketing the book, some for running the forum the past 18 months (expanding the server size and memory a few times, to improve response time), and we have put some money aside to keep us running for the next year. That leaves us with about $3,600, which we are going to donate to a worthy charity. We also raised money for a tribute ad to Heath in Variety last year, and about $1,400 more came in than the ad cost. We said we would donate the rest to charity.

We asked members for their input on the book funds, and overwhelming consensus was toward helping struggling gay youth in some way. Several organizations were cited repeatedly, including GLSEN, GLAAD, PFLAG and The Point Foundation's scholarship funds for gay youth. We think any of those would be great beneficiaries--they all do great work for the gay community and gay/straight allies, and are closely aligned with the ideas of Brokeback. Of those, the two which most closely fit the central idea of helping struggling gay youth were GLSEN and The Point Foundation's scholarship fund. (Click either for their websites, to learn more.)

So, we will take money available from our book proceeds and split it 50/50 between the two groups, and cite the donations in honor of Heath. We would like to hear from the membership about how to use the $1,400 remaining from the Heath ad. We can increase the GLSEN and Point donations, or do something more specifically related to Heath. Let's hear your thoughts.

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=32190.0

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2009, 06:28:23 AM »

paterson picks blue dog democrat to replace hillary clinton in NY senate seat.

this is not good news if you are liberal or gay.  as a former constituent i can attest that the reason she won in the first place was that she was running against some even more vile republicans from the old political machine.  i was hopig to find a less hysterical news reference than the NY POST, but most of the others completely glossed over the the upset this is causing.  one of her primary support organizations is the NRA.  that should tell you something, and she is the daughter of a lobbyist and the wife of a financial consultant.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01232009/news/politics/dave_picks_gillibrand_as_liberal_dems_ho_151502.htm

Sources said "at least five" members of the state's Democratic congressional delegation called Paterson to protest the possibility of Gillibrand's selection. One, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of Nassau County, even threatened a primary challenge. Gillibrand faces a special election in 2010.

Democratic activists predicted that Cuomo, son of former Gov. Mario Cuomo, would also "seriously consider" challenging Paterson in a primary next year
Liberal Democrats have been wary of her because she ran for re-election with the backing of the National Rifle Association, opposed the federal TARP program to rescue banks, and has been less than enthusiastic about gay marriage.

Offline beruthiel

• Obsessed
  • nam myoho renge kyo
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2009, 09:08:03 AM »

paterson picks blue dog democrat to replace hillary clinton in NY senate seat.

this is not good news if you are liberal or gay.  as a former constituent i can attest that the reason she won in the first place was that she was running against some even more vile republicans from the old political machine.  i was hopig to find a less hysterical news reference than the NY POST, but most of the others completely glossed over the the upset this is causing.  one of her primary support organizations is the NRA.  that should tell you something, and she is the daughter of a lobbyist and the wife of a financial consultant.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01232009/news/politics/dave_picks_gillibrand_as_liberal_dems_ho_151502.htm

I heard about this this morning on Democracy Now!. This is very bad news. Paterson has always been known as a liberal, but he has apparently been getting more conservative and this is the result.  >:(
"A patriot must always be prepared to defend his country against his government." Edward Abbey

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2009, 09:52:19 AM »
more on gillibrand..

this should prove interesting.  apparently she either figured it out, or has been spoken to, because she has apparently made the rounds of gay rights organizations reassuring them of her "solidarity".

http://www.towleroad.com/2009/01/rep-kirstin-gil.html

the Empire State Pride Agenda, released a statement from its Executive Director Alan Van Capelle:

"After talking to Kirsten Gillibrand, I am very happy to say that New York is poised to have its first U.S. Senator who supports marriage equality for same-sex couples. She also supports the full repeal of the federal DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) law, repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (DADT) and passage of legislation outlawing discrimination against transgender people. While we had a productive discussion about a whole range of LGBT concerns, I was particularly happy to hear where she stands on these issues."

According to HRC, that's not how she's voted in the past though. As noted earlier, via PolitickerNY:

"According to the Human Rights Campaign, she voted against the repealing of 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell' legislation, opposed legislation that would grant equal tax treatment for employer-provided health coverage for domestic partners, opposed legislation to grant same-sex partners of U.S. citizens and permanent residents the same immigration benefits of married couples and opposed legislation to permit state Medicaid programs to cover low-income, HIV-positive Americans before they develop AIDS. That said, Gillibrand is not an ideologue. The positions she took were arguably necessary as a means of getting elected in a conservative-voting district. And there is a notion among political observers that if she represented the entire state, those positions would soften to better reflect New York’s more liberal complexion."

also... update from the hrc blog ...

***UPDATE - 11:10 AM*** There has been some discussion about Kirsten Gillibrand's stance on Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and additional LGBT issues.  In particular, we’d like to clarify references to the Human Rights Campaign Scorecard for the 110th Congress. 

Although Kirsten Gillibrand did not co-sponsor legislation to repeal DADT, her decision does not mean that Gillibrand supports the policy or would oppose  the repeal.  In fact, in recent conversations with Kirsten Gillibrand’s office the Human Rights Campaign has confirmed Gillibrand is in favor of repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and supports full marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples. 

Additionally, HRC confirmed with Gillibrand’s staff additional points regarding her LGBT record:

Supports marriage equality
Cosponsored and voted in favor of the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act
Cosponsored inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) and supports enactment of inclusive bill
Voted in favor of ENDA
Supports repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell
Supports repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act
Supports equal tax treatment of employer provided domestic partnership benefits
Voted against allowing discrimination in hiring for the Head Start program
Voted in favor of allowing Washington, DC to fund needle exchange programs with local funds
Supports the Early Treatment of HIV/AIDS Act (ETHA) to allow states to provide Medicaid coverage for HIV-positive persons
Voted against procedural attempts to derail ENDA and hate crimes
Endorsed by HRC PAC in 2008

http://www.hrcbackstory.org/2009/01/kirsten-gillibrand-gov-patersons-pick-to-replace-hillary-clinton-supports-marriage-equality.html

the proof will be in the pudding.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »
^^^ Or she's worried that if she doesn't do this she will face a liberal challenge in 2010 (when she's up for re-election).  As you say, the proof will be in the pudding.

In other news (I'm starting to feel like a cheerleader.... ::)) - this isn't directly as a result of the election - but you can't help but think that someone at the FDA is looking for job security  ;):

Feds Approve Stem Cell Tests on Patients With Spinal Cord Injuries
By Renay San Miguel
TechNewsWorld
01/23/09 1:33 PM PT

The Food and Drug Administration has given the go-ahead to biotech company Geron to begin testing the effect of embryonic stem cells on patients with severe spinal cord injuries. The procedure involves injecting the cells into the patients and monitoring their progress.

Candidate Barack Obama promised to lift Bush Administration restrictions on embryonic stem cell research. Two days after he became President Obama, the government gave its approval for the first-ever human trials using therapies derived from this controversial area of science.

Geron, a Menlo Park, Calif.-based biotechnology firm, was given the go-ahead by the Food and Drug Administration More about Food and Drug Administration Thursday. While officials at both the company and the agency are calling the timing of the announcement coincidental, the news reignites the debate between those who see the promise of miracle-like cures in human stem cells and opponents who say the harvesting of cells from embryos is akin to murder.

Geron will choose 10 patients who have suffered spinal cord injuries resulting in paralysis. The patients will be given the treatments between 7 to 14 days after being injured, and will be studied for up to a year. If the patients remain safe, then Geron will ask for permission to expand the study and increase the dosage.

"This marks the beginning of what is potentially a new chapter in medical therapeutics, one that reaches beyond pills to a new level of healing: the restoration of organ and tissue function achieved by the injection of healthy replacement cells," Geron president and CEO Dr. Thomas Okarma said.

A Shift in Research Priorities

"It's a bold step, and the hard part of this is going to be managing expectations," Chuck Murry, Ph.D., codirector of the University of Washington's Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, told TechNewsWorld. "People have very high hopes for stem cells to do something remarkable. We have to keep in mind -- the wonder with working with embryonic stem cells is that they can turn into anything, and the hardest thing with working with stem cells is that they can turn into anything."

continues:

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/65947.html

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »
Perhaps we can get Bishop Thomas Muthee down there to get rid of the witches....

Nigerian police hold 'magic' goat over attempted car theft
Last Updated: 6:50PM GMT 23 Jan 2009

The black and white animal was turned in to police by a vigilante group, which claimed it was an armed car thief who had used black magic to transform himself into a goat to escape arrest after trying to steal a Mazda 323.

"The group of vigilante men came to report that while they were on patrol they saw some hoodlums attempting to rob a car," Tunde Mohammed, a spokesman for Kwara state police, told Reuters.

"They pursued them. However, one of them escaped while the other turned into a goat," he said. While Mr Mohammed said he could not confirm whether a man had, in fact, turned into a goat, he did admit that the animal was in police custody. A photo of the goat, resting on its knees next to a pile of straw, was published in Nigeria's Vanguard newspaper.

Reports citing a different police spokesman said the animal was being held at the station until its owner came to claim it.

Belief in witchcraft is widespread in parts of Nigeria. Many communities in Africa's most populous nation rely on vigilante groups to patrol neighbourhoods that are not served by police at night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/nigeria/4325377/Nigerian-police-hold-magic-goat-over-attempted-car-theft.html
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline graylockV

• Obsessed
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »
It's not just Jews who are offended by this.  This is outrageous and is the best indication yet of Benedict's desire to roll back the 20th Century.  Next he'll be making Torquemada a saint.

Sorry to those non-Catholics for posting this, but I just wanted to bring all of us survivors of Catholicism up to date on what our current fascist Pope is up to.  And believe me, the "Lefebvrian movement" ,based in France, is among the most far right.  These people really are warmed-over Nazis.  Exhibit A: "Bishop" Williamson (see article.)

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1873855,00.html?xid=rss-topstories-cnnpartner

That this Pope can be so morally indifferent to what these people are - and at the same time oppose basic human rights for gay people - shows how evil wears a white skull cap.  I really hope that this guy is the last pope, as some have prophesied.

By Forgiving Traditionalists, the Pope Offends Jews
By Jeff Israely Saturday, Jan. 24, 2009

Pope Benedict XVI has reinstated four bishops from an archconservative breakaway wing of the Roman Catholic Church, a decision that is bound to stir controversy within his own flock. But Saturday's announcement that the Vatican will undo the 20-year schism between the Vatican and the so-called Lefebvrian movement is all the more sensitive because it comes only days after the broadcast of an interview in which British-born Bishop Richard Williamson, one of those Benedict is bringing back into the fold, denies that the Nazi Holocaust ever happened.

"I believe there were no gas chambers," Williamson said
. The bishop, who has been accused of anti-Semitism in the past, declared that the historical evidence was "hugely against" the accepted belief that close to 6 million Jews were systematically exterminated as part of Adolf Hitler's Final Solution. Williamson claims that no more than 300,000 Jews died during World War II.

The Vatican made no mention of those remarks in the communiqué that announced the papal decree that revokes the 1988 excommunication of Williamson and his three fellow bishops. Papal spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said the decree in no way means the Pope, a German, shares Williamson's views on the Holocaust.

Earlier this week, Jewish leaders warned that relations between the Holy See and Judaism would deteriorate if the controversial prelates were brought back into mainstream Catholicism.

The four bishops belong to a movement founded by late French traditionalist Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre. Followers oppose dialogue with other religions and say Jews should convert. Rome's chief rabbi said Williamson's rehabilitation in particular would open "a deep wound" in Jewish-Vatican relations, which had already been strained by recent controversy over the effort to make Pope Pius XII a saint despite some historians' contention that he did little to save Jews during the Holocaust. The French Jewish organization CRIF called Williamson "a despicable liar whose only goal is to revive the centuries-old hatred against Jews."

Officially dated Jan. 21 (by coincidence the same day the interview aired), the decree states that the Pope "was inspired in this decision by the wish that complete reconciliation and full communion is reached as soon as possible." A senior Vatican official told TIME that the Pope is expected to make the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX), the name Lefebvre followers call their movement, into a personal prelature of the papacy, the same special status that conservative lay group Opus Dei was granted by John Paul II.

Benedict's decision marks a watershed. Following on the Pope's 2007 decision to widen use of the old Latin rite mass, the rapprochement with the traditionalist faction appears to be a purely papal initiative. Beyond one or two retired Cardinals, few had been urging an end to the schism. The Society of St. Pius X itself had not budged from its hard line.

Some will hail Benedict as a bold defender of the rights of traditionalist Catholics and a man of conviction unbent by the winds of controversy; but others, both inside and outside the Church, will take his embrace of the Lefebvre followers as the final proof that Benedict, deep down, is determined to make the Church far more traditional than it is today.

Beulah, peel me a grape.