The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 404495 times)

Offline PatSinnott

• Obsessed
  • You 'n Alma... That's a life...?
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #495 on: November 29, 2006, 10:07:47 PM »
i have a new challenge for the cooking crowd  :D
i'm looking for new, nice and unusual winter drinks. something hot, sweet, alcoholic - just something nice if you come in from the cold.
i have quite a number of recipies already, but i could always use more....so, if you have ideas, i would be delighted. in exchange, i'm going to post some of mine !
Heidi posted this recipe, and I made it at a party a couple of weeks ago.  I put in Mandarin Absolut as the alcohol, one cup.  It was fantastic.
http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8751.msg569257#msg569257
"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country"- Edward Bernays, 1928

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #496 on: November 30, 2006, 06:10:58 AM »
  Anyone one know how to make a dessert we always had at Christmas called Heavenly Hash?  It is made with cocoanut, cherries, pineapple, nuts and whipped cream and maybe a few other things.  My mother used to make it and I wish I had the recipe.  Oh, it was so good
This sounds like "Ambrosia" salad - made with mini marshmallows and I think pineapple juice - the acidity breaks down the marshmallows into this glorious surgary sauce...

Try searching food.com
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Bobbie

« Reply #497 on: November 30, 2006, 06:29:09 AM »
I found "Mama's Heavenly Hash" at http://www.netcooks.com/recipes/Salads/Momma's.Heavenly.Hash.html.  Sounds yummy.  I've made something similiar and added sour cream to give it a bit of richness, but for 'us' calorie counters (yes, even during the holidays), I use fat free cool whip.  It tastes good too!

B xo

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #498 on: November 30, 2006, 06:35:07 AM »
That sounds like the stuff, Bobbie!

we just always called it "Ambrosia" because it was like heaven...
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline All4one

• Expert
« Reply #499 on: November 30, 2006, 07:39:30 AM »
eocs, I have a small collection of those privately printed paperback cookbooks. Last night I went through several of them .
I found one called Heavenly Hash ( 1990, recipes from a woman in Montgomery Alabama who printed all of her favorites as a holiday gift to friends and family )  and another called 'Five Cup Fruit Salad) ( 1979 Chicago area Methodist church woman fund-raiser ). They are identical to each other, so I will combine their names . :)

Heavenly  Fruit Salad

I cup sour cream
1 cup coconut
1 cup fruit coctail
1 cup pineapple tidbits
1 cup mandarin oranges
1 cup miniature marshmallows
Optional: chopped pecans, maraschino cherries

Drain the fruit well. Combine ingredients.
Refrigerate at 3 hours ( overnight is okay )  before serving.
"One's enough"  A.P.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #500 on: November 30, 2006, 08:31:25 AM »
It's not the same thing, but back in Louisiana we have an Easter candy called Heavenly Hash, made by Elmer's, a local company. The recipe for it is something like this:

http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipes/cajun/heavenly-hash/971.rcr

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #501 on: December 01, 2006, 08:57:35 AM »
Here's another hot winter drink. I haven't tried it myself yet, but doesn't it sound splendid?

1 l (2 pints) apple juice
3 tbsp honey
5 whole cloves
1 vanilla pod
2 sticks cinnamon
3 - 4 dl (somewhere between 1 and 2 cups) vanilla flavoured vodka

Put honey and spices in the apple juice, bring to the boil. Take it off the heat and leave for ten minutes. Add vodka, if you want an adult drink, and some more honey if needed. To be served hot!

I also have a recipe for Glühwein, which sounds good, but I haven't tried this either yet...

1 orange
10 cloves
1 bottle red wine
2 dl (almost 1 cup) water
1 vanilla pod
sugar

Wash the orange and stick the cloves into the peel. Put the whole orange along with wine, water, and vanilla pod in a saucepan. Heat it up, add sugar to taste, serve.

The Swedish version of Glühwein, glögg, is one of my favourite drinks, but I don't have a good recipe. I usually buy a litte sachet of glögg spices to make my own, but I can't remember exactly what's in it or in what proportions. I think there's at least cinnamon, cloves, and ginger in the mix.
A friend of mine had the most fabulous recipe for glögg, it was an authentic 19th century one and there was both wine, brandy and rum in it, along with all the spices. It made a gallon or so, since it was meant to be enough for all the people in a 19th century household, and it was very strong. I wonder if she still has it...
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Bobbie

« Reply #502 on: December 01, 2006, 09:08:08 AM »
Ah Laurentia,

I've had Gluhwein and it was tasty, but we just called it 'spiced wine."  Silly Americans!  If the temperatures here in VA get back to normal, I may have to make this and try it.  Right now it's too warm for me to enjoy a hot drink! Sounds yummy though!

B

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #503 on: December 01, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »
We all have colds  here -- runny nose, scratchy throats, general lassitude -- so I need some hot drinks (preferably alcoholic) that do not contain milk. Thanks in advance! *sniffle*

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #504 on: December 01, 2006, 11:25:27 AM »
 :-\ Aww! Sorry to hear about the colds! Maybe you could try this. It sounds icky, but isn't bad at all (assuming that your cold has robbed you of some of your sense of taste):

Blackcurrant remedy for colds

4 dl (1 1/2 cup) water + 2 dl (3/4 cup) blackcurrants OR 5 dl (2 cups) blackcurrant juice
a couple of garlic cloves, 2 or 3 depending on size
a tablespoon or so of honey

Very simple. Mix berries with chopped or pressed garlic in a blender, then mix with hot water. Strain the drink and add honey. Alternatively, heat blackcurrant juice with garlic and add honey.

This drink is supposed to be taken in small portions, about 1/2 cup at a time, with maybe an hour between them. In practice, have some whenever you feel like it. It can be kept in a thermos, but be warned: that thermos will taste of garlic afterwards. I usually keep it in the fridge instead and microwave my portions. Pure blackcurrant juice might be tricky to find, but try and get a blackcurrant drink that's sweetened as little as possible.

I also like basic old honey water, it feels really soothing for the throat (I've heard that it's bad for a sore throat in the long run, though). My organic food shop has herbal tea blends for different conditions, and their Throat Comfort Tea is excellent, but I don't know what's in it except licqourice root.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #505 on: December 01, 2006, 12:43:04 PM »
Garlic and black currants. Hmmm. That's one combo I would not have thought of. The French are not so enamored of black currants -- no Ribena here. I'll see what other ideas get posted.

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #506 on: December 02, 2006, 10:13:58 AM »
Heavenly  Fruit Salad

I cup sour cream
1 cup coconut
1 cup fruit coctail
1 cup pineapple tidbits
3.  1 cup mandarin oranges
1 cup miniature marshmallows
Optional: chopped pecans, maraschino cherries

Drain the fruit well. Combine ingredients.
Refrigerate at 3 hours ( overnight is okay )  before serving.

For this recipe to succeed, though, you have to assemble it wearing:

1. a shirtwaist dress, tightly cinched at the waist and very full-skirted
2.  black patent pumps
3.  a wee ruffled white apron (no bib)
4.  a well-lacquered flip hairdo.

(You can tell I've been around a decade or so.)

Offline All4one

• Expert
« Reply #507 on: December 02, 2006, 04:38:11 PM »
 :D
And you know, Castro, that when nobody was looking, June Cleaver pulled out Peg Bracken's I Hate To Cook Book ( 1960 ) which contained instructions like this ( from Skid Road Stroganoff )

Start cooking those noodles, first dropping a bouillon cube into the noodle water.
Brown the garlic, onion, and beef in the oil.
Add the flour salt, paprika, and mushrooms, stir, and let it cook 5 minutes
 while you light a cigarette and stare sullenly at the sink.
"One's enough"  A.P.

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #508 on: December 02, 2006, 06:56:37 PM »
Hah!  Yup: Peg Bracken, the under-appreciated forerunner to The Feminine Mystique.

Offline All4one

• Expert
« Reply #509 on: December 03, 2006, 09:11:12 PM »
Here's a glimpse of the lady herself.

http://www.roadode.com/eat_1.shtml

She's on the right, next to last. I can see the 'nudge nudge, wink wink' one of the cookbooks critic mentioned.
"One's enough"  A.P.