The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: All other scenes including truck scenes, Thanksgiving scenes, alley scenes, and other  (Read 531207 times)

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
Yes, I do really think so too. And that he wanted Ennis not to forget the name of the place. Still so hopeful, poor sweet Jack.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
                                                      ^^^

Oh ! I thought this thread had been closed down.
Sorry...my bad !  :">
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
                                                      ^^^

Oh ! I thought this thread had been closed down.
Sorry...my bad !  :">

Oh, no "my bad", you were right.  It was closed.  I re-opened it so that it could be posted.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed

Question " Do you think that when Jack told Ennis ..he was going "..up to Lightning
Flats to help his Daddy out"...that he was secretly hoping Ennis would have second thoughts about marrying Alma... and knowing where he was.... would go up there looking for him ?? "

Yes, I do really think so too. And that he wanted Ennis not to forget the name of the place. Still so hopeful, poor sweet Jack.

I have to be honest, I've never thought of that possibility before,  but I can see Jack doing this.   While I'm not sure (I can't remember exactly) I believe in the short story it's suggested that Jack had prior experiences with men.  If we carry that theme to the movie, it's possible Jack wouldn't think this was a 'one time thing' and would want to drop his location to Ennis, in the hopes that he would follow up with it.

At the very least, it suggests he wants to see Ennis again.  You generally don't give your whereabouts to someone you don't want to run into again.

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
Yes, I think Jack had that hope in mind when he told Ennis about his plans for the winter.

Whatever happened, at least Ennis would know where to find him.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
Yes, I think Jack had that hope in mind when he told Ennis about his plans for the winter.

Whatever happened, at least Ennis would know where to find him.

Yeah, but in the end, it didn't work, did it?  Jack still ended up having to track him down.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
If it had worked, it would have been a completely different story *sigh*

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
If it had worked, it would have been a completely different story *sigh*

Very true, and who knows, maybe it wouldn't have grabbed us the way that it did.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
Yep. There were a couple of fics playing with this idea, weren't they? That Ennis did come to Jack's.

Offline colorado_jack

• Getting Acquainted
Hello everyone, yes I am late to the game (like 14 yrs late) but better that than never.  Not kidding, my first viewing of BBM was 2 weeks ago on Amazon, and yes, I was absolutely blown away and shocked how great a movie (yes an epic) it was which then got me to read the SS and it was, in its own right, absolutely great (but ultimately much darker than the movie with regards to E's life post J). 

Maybe someone can provide answers (or their interpretation) to a few questions that I have, in particular, the last meeting between E and J where it seems that J is about to end the relationship after 17 years?  I found Jack's position a bit off kilter in that E gave him good reasons why August was not going to work.  I can see how J was totally frustrated and maybe this was the last straw?  I understand these are fictional characters, but wouldn't anyone in J's position understand that E's excuses are about to come to an end (E is divorced, his daughters are rapidly approaching 18 and no more child support) and give it another 6 months or a year. 

Again, this is total conjecture, do you think if J had lived he would have met E at Pine Creek on November 7 per E's post card (interesting that up until this point it was J sending post cards) or would J have ghosted him like E ghosted Cassie?  Hard for me to believe that J, frustrated as he was, could just up and leave and not give E a chance once all his excuses are gone. 

All I can say is that I had had the opportunity to watch the film in its initial release with a theater full of people and their different reactions.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:04:59 PM by colorado_jack »

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
Hi Jack, welcome!  I joined in 2008 and I'm pretty sure I took 2 days off work just to read the threads, I was beyond obsessed.

Your question is interesting and I'm sure you'll hear lots of different viewpoints.  Jack had things going on...was he having an affair with Randall?...if so, that may have given him some strength to miss the meet-up with Ennis. 

As for Ennis's excuses coming to an end, Jack thought he had won when he heard about Ennis's divorce...he really couldn't see any reason for them not to get together after that, but Ennis sure set him straight (so to speak).

I like to think that they would have met up at Pine Creek...that maybe something in Ennis would have changed (not likely)...but I think Jack had faced up to the fact that they were getting nowhere, and he couldn't take the pain of it any more...but it only happened when he had someone else to fall back on, Randall.

Have fun reading all the threads
Nancy - morrobay
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed

Hello colorado_jack!  Welcome to the Ultimate Brokeback Mountain Forum!

My name is Chuck (USA/ New Jersey) and I'm one of the moderators who helps run the place.

It's always great to see new members find us and join up!

I'm going to supply you with a few links that you may find helpful.  You may have already been in a few threads in these sections, but you may find some new topics you want to post in.  If you see that a topic is "old", please don't feel that you shouldn't post.  You never know what conversation would be started because you posted.

If you should find your way into an archive section, and you read a thread that you would like to reply to, but it's locked, just let me know, and I'll see if I can get it unlocked, so you can post to it.

Once you have 5 posts on the forum, you can use the Private Message system, and then can send messages to me or any mods or members.

In this section you can find threads to compare the movie to the short story (Film Vs. Book), your favorite quote from the movie or book, and general discussion of Brokeback.

In this section you can find threads about reactions of the audience, how the movie affected you, and other topics.

Here you will find threads that talk about various scenes from the movie. 

This is where you'll find threads that talk about Jack, Ennis, their relationship, the women of Brokeback, and other elements.

There are other sections as well where you'll find chat threads (The Diner,  Le Bar Slash) fan fiction discussion, TV, movies, music, and countless other threads.

Have fun exploring!

Offline colorado_jack

• Getting Acquainted
Maybe you all can help me with the timing of the story, especially with regards to the last meeting between E and J.  The timeline I can gather goes something like this:

Summer 1963  start of relationship between E/J on BBM
November/December 1963 E marries A(Alma)
Sept/October 1964 Alma Jr (AJ) is born
Sometime in mid-late 1965 Jenny is born
July 4, 1966 (3 anniversary of FNIT) and fight at 4th of July picnic
Jack/Lureen marry 1966?
Bobby born January 1967
E/J reunion Sept 1967(Bobby is 8 months old)
August 1972 A intercepts postcard from J about going fishing, so this has been going on for 5 years and A does/says nothing during this time
November 1975 A and J divorce and J proposal rejected by E immediately thereafter
November 1977 Thanksgiving
1978 J meets R(Randall)

Here's where it gets a bit murky, the divorce decree stated E would pay child support until the girls reached 18 which would be Sept/Oct 1982 for AJ and sometime in 1983 for Jenny.

J states that they have been meeting like this for almost 20 years which makes me think the last meeting occurred in 1982 or maybe spring 1983.  In any case, the timing seems off, if the meeting occurred in 1983 then all J had to do was wait 6 months for AJ to emancipate and a bit longer for Jenny to do the same, so not sure why after 17 years all of a sudden J gets pissy when all he had to do was wait a bit longer and then E would essentially be free of financial obligations and THEN if E balks, J can leave with a clear conscience.

Yes I KNOW its just a movie, but obsession knows no bounds.

PS I do not for one minute think J and R had any sort of emotional bond, if anything, it was J getting needed relief when not with E.  No way R would up and leave LaS (mouth notwithstanding) and a good job for living in some cabin working on someone else's broken down ranch for nothing.  Papa Twist was right, it was just a pipe dream Jack came up with to deflect the fact that all that was said about E never amounted to anything and last thing J wanted was to look like a loser in front of Dad

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
Hi and welcome! I'm a late arrival too, only joined the Forum in 2017 even if I watched the movie back when it was released, but it didn't blow my mind until I watched it again many years later. So I missed all the initial discussions, sigh.

I think Jack gave up all hope way before the last fight, he realised it was pointless when Ennis divorced and still refused even to see Jack in a more regular way. Like Morrobay said, he had no more excuses, living alone in the middle of nothing they could have met at his place, even if he couldn't get free time from work. At the time of their last trip Jack had spent 15 years hoping and at that point he probably had realised that Ennis would never meet him half ways, there is only so much pain and disappointment a person can deal with and Jack had reached his limit. Ennis cancelling August was just the proverbial last straw and Jack didn't give a *** about Randall, the girls turning 18 or Lureen's money, he just exploded. And I am sure that if Ennis had said yes at any point he would have dropped everything to be with him.

To stop rambling and come to the point, I doubt Jack would be so calculating with the girls' ages, and I don't think he was being "pissy" and it wasn't "all of a sudden". He was furious and heartbroken and then Ennis accuses him of being the one to blame for his miserable life. If that wasn't a cue for Jack to try to move on I don't know what.

And even so, I believe he would have met Ennis in November.

Offline colorado_jack

• Getting Acquainted
Hi and welcome! I'm a late arrival too, only joined the Forum in 2017 even if I watched the movie back when it was released, but it didn't blow my mind until I watched it again many years later. So I missed all the initial discussions, sigh.

I think Jack gave up all hope way before the last fight, he realised it was pointless when Ennis divorced and still refused even to see Jack in a more regular way. Like Morrobay said, he had no more excuses, living alone in the middle of nothing they could have met at his place, even if he couldn't get free time from work. At the time of their last trip Jack had spent 15 years hoping and at that point he probably had realised that Ennis would never meet him half ways, there is only so much pain and disappointment a person can deal with and Jack had reached his limit. Ennis cancelling August was just the proverbial last straw and Jack didn't give a *** about Randall, the girls turning 18 or Lureen's money, he just exploded. And I am sure that if Ennis had said yes at any point he would have dropped everything to be with him.

To stop rambling and come to the point, I doubt Jack would be so calculating with the girls' ages, and I don't think he was being "pissy" and it wasn't "all of a sudden". He was furious and heartbroken and then Ennis accuses him of being the one to blame for his miserable life. If that wasn't a cue for Jack to try to move on I don't know what.

And even so, I believe he would have met Ennis in November.

"He was furious and heartbroken and then Ennis accuses him of being the one to blame for his miserable life. If that wasn't a cue for Jack to try to move on I don't know what."  Point well taken.  I would be furious too if someone I had been in love with for over 17 years and I had made sacrifices for turned around and blamed ME for the decisions they made, especially after I (ie J) gave them choices they refused to take, mostly from fear.  Interesting question for another day, how would E's life be different without having met J?   Which is better, not having met J and living a life of quiet desperation (maybe without even realizing it) with A or meeting your soulmate but forced by convention and fear to keep it hidden and at arm's length (with all the associated baggage).

I also agree that regardless of words spoken during the argument (nothing really changed) that J would have met E at Pine Creek and would have been happy to stay on that short leash.  J and E were too intertwined to so easily be pulled apart.