The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: All other scenes including truck scenes, Thanksgiving scenes, alley scenes, and other  (Read 531124 times)

Offline haizea

• Getting Acquainted
Hello!

I'm new here, this is just my second post, and to be honest I'm still not sure about how this works! I wanted to add a new post not to interrupt you, but I've found out that this is not possible, so I'm writing here hoping it is the right place...

I have a big doubt related with the CAMPSITES. The thing is, I've seen the movie hundreds of times and always thought there was just one campsite. But now, reading messages of people who have visited the movie locations, they mention CAMPSITE 1 and CAMPSITE 2. Where they two different locations just for shooting reasons? or were there actually 2 different campsites, meaning they moved to a different place in the movie? I think in the short story, moving to another camp happens once, but I've never noticed that while watching the movie. Always convinced it all happens in the same place when Jack and Ennis are together.

Thank you so much, I'd really appreciate your help!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!

Hello haizea!

I'm one of the moderators here on the forum.  If you have any questions about where to post something, you can feel free to send me a PM to ask them, and I'll help you the best that I can.  However, you do have to have 5 posts on the forum before you can send a message.

Regarding Campsite 1 and Campsite 2, here is what I can tell you.

Campsite #1 is located at Hwy 66, Canyon Creek.   Some of the scenes shot there are where Jack is carrying two buckets of water from a creek, where Jack tells Ennis "no more beans", the first real conversation that Jack and Ennis have (Jack talks about being in the rodeo, Ennis says "rodeo cowboys are fuck-ups".

Campsite #2 is located at Hwy 742, Goat Creek.   Some of the scenes shot there are the harmonica scene, the morning after "first night in tent".

I got this information from a website called "Finding Brokeback", where they list the instructions to all the location sites.

Offline haizea

• Getting Acquainted
Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.
I read what you say in some locations sites, however my doubt is whether there are 2 places for shooting reasons or because they were supposed to be in two different campistes in the movie.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.
I read what you say in some locations sites, however my doubt is whether there are 2 places for shooting reasons or because they were supposed to be in two different campistes in the movie.

Oh, ok, I understand your meaning now.

From what I understood, they moved the herd of sheep around the mountain, so I would assume they were in different sites in the movie.

Offline haizea

• Getting Acquainted
Thanks again ;)
It just amazes me that I've never noticed them being in different places. For me it was always the same campsite. Anyway, good to know there are 2 places to visit if I can go to Alberta next year. Thank you!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Welcome, Judit!

I always found it fascinating that the campsite that was portrayed as the more remote one in the movie turns out to be the more accessible one compared to the first one.

I shot some vids on a trip to Alberta in 2007, there are links to YouTube as well as the scenes referred to in the movie.

http://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=22685.msg1005912#msg1005912

Naturally there are several changes since then, the pole bridge has collapsed and the Bus Station Cafe has closed.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline haizea

• Getting Acquainted
Hi Fritz!

Thanks for your reply. I watched almost all your videos a few weeks ago, I must say they were an inspiration to start planning a trip to Alberta, so I appreciate them. I wanted to go this summer but the air fares are too high, so I'm definitely doing it in 2020.

Shame though that the bridge has collapsed, oh nooo, is there any remains? or is it completely gone? I also doubt I can visit the Twist Ranch based on your videos...Oh well, I hope I can still find something as it was...

About the campsites, I guess you mean the one of the pup tent compared to the main one, right? Funny to think that the pup tent one is not as far as it seems!. I'll have to watch the movie again and see if I can differentiate the two main campsites (not the pup tent one), as they were filmed in 2 different locations.

Thanks again and speak soon!

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
Hi Fritz!

Thanks for your reply. I watched almost all your videos a few weeks ago, I must say they were an inspiration to start planning a trip to Alberta, so I appreciate them. I wanted to go this summer but the air fares are too high, so I'm definitely doing it in 2020.

Shame though that the bridge has collapsed, oh nooo, is there any remains? or is it completely gone? I also doubt I can visit the Twist Ranch based on your videos...Oh well, I hope I can still find something as it was...

About the campsites, I guess you mean the one of the pup tent compared to the main one, right? Funny to think that the pup tent one is not as far as it seems!. I'll have to watch the movie again and see if I can differentiate the two main campsites (not the pup tent one), as they were filmed in 2 different locations.

The pole bridge is completely gone, I'm afraid. But it's still a very beautiful and serene place to visit. (campsite 2) There's a little cairn where the camp fire was (dozy embrace), at least it was still there two years ago.
The fight hill is also in the same place.

The site where they talked about the sweet life is unfortunately completely gone, due to a flood of the river in 2017. Nothing remains  :(

I put a link to FindingBrokeback for you in the other thread.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
Hi Fritz!

Hey Judit! I think they had two main camps and the pup tent. As the Summer goes they move the sheep. The first camp is the one they build at arrival and the second one is when Ennis complains about the tent not being right.

Offline haizea

• Getting Acquainted
Thanks Elena!! So this is why Ennis says that about the tent,  it makes sense, of course! Next time I see the movie I'll pay more attention to the campsite locations, now that I know there are definitely two. It's funny how we can still learn new things after so many viewings  :)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
Hi Fritz!

It is sad to think that some of the locations where "Brokeback Mountain" was filmed are no longer there.  It is too bad they didn't try to preserve them more.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
Hiya UBF members.

While searching around Google, I found a site that poses 8 questions.  The site seems to be geared toward the short story, but I see no reason that they can't be applied to the movie as well.

I'll post one question at a time, to keep the posts focused on it.

When I post the 8th question, I'll post the link to the website, and edit the prior posts to add the site link to give it the proper credit.

Not sure if these topics have been discussed before.   Perhaps these will be new topics.

I'm placing this question here, as it pertains to the trailer scene between Jack and Aguirre.

3. How important is it that Joe Aguirre confronts Jack about their homosexuality instead of Ennis? How would Ennis have reacted if it did?

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
3. How important is it that Joe Aguirre confronts Jack about their homosexuality instead of Ennis? How would Ennis have reacted if it did?

It was extremely important that it was Jack that Aguirre confronted, and not Ennis.

I believe that Jack was used to being talked about.  While he was aware that it was dangerous, it was not uncommon for him.  We see evidence of this in the "Jimbo" scene at the bar, where Jack attempts to buy Jimbo the rodeo clown a drink.  Jimbo seems very awkward, while Jack appears to be looking for something aside from conversation.  Jimbo rebuffs him, and walks away.  Jack looks over his shoulder, and we see Jimbo approach some guys playing pool.  On his way to the guys, it appears Jimbo gestures towards Jack, and they may be talking about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxFclMNiuvI   (Bar scene)

Jack is shocked by what Aguirre knows, and quickly leaves, but it didn't affect him to the point that Jack would stop seeing Ennis.

If this had happened to Ennis, it would've been the end of their relationship.   Think back to the scene at the rocks and river (I think we called that the "some sweet life" scene).  Ennis specifically says that they could only be together "once in a while, way out in the middle of nowhere", and if Ennis had known that they were actually seen by anyone way out in the middle of nowhere that would be the end of it.  Especially since it was Aguirre, who hired Ennis.  If he thought that Aguirre could prevent him from getting work anywhere else, that really would've pushed Ennis over the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c293gMejW3o (some sweet life scene)

Offline Gillian

• Through the mirror blue
  • Obsessed
  • Stay on these roads
I actually struggle to imagine what would have happened, if Aguirre had confronted Ennis. A total implosion or explosion, and I'm not sure which.

Ennis shows throughout the film that he reacts with violent aggression born of fear and shame if anyone indicates he's less of a man/ sees him crying etc. but in the case of his employer actually knowing - I don't know. Is it too far out for me to think suicide might have been a possibility? Ennis has a fragile sense of self, for all his seeming stoicism in his everyday life. I am not sure he could have managed to overcome facing that his 'weakness' actually had been laid bare, and by a person in authority at that. His father after all had shown him what men such as he deserved.
Slava Ukraini

Offline royandronnie

• Regards from my bit of the Mountain
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • They existed in our hearts, and always will.
What an interesting question…no question in my mind either that it would have pretty much sunk their relationship right then and there.

Perhaps an equally interesting question would be "would Joe have humiliated Ennis as he did Jack?" We already know he was contemptuous of Jack. Wonder why that was? Could have have seen something between Jack and the guy from the previous year? Or is he reacting (movie) to Jack being a "pretty boy?" Or was it simply because the previous year, too, too many sheep were missing at the end-of-season handoff? But would Joe have said the same things to Ennis? He said them to Jack because Jack asked for Ennis. I can't see Ennis asking for Jack--already too wary. I actually don't see Joe being as contemptuous of Ennis as he was of Jack, even though he saw them. Just an opinion.

ANYWAY. If he HAD talked to Ennis instead, I think it would have destroyed Ennis. It would have told him that even in the private Eden of Brokeback, someone is going to see you. Just like Earl and his lover. Or they're going to assume--remember, Aguirre never reveals that he actually saw them together. In Ennis' mind, that would almost be worse: if you spend time alone with a man, "they" are always going to assume. Certainly, when Jack sent the postcard, it would have been balled up and thrown out immediately. And Ennis would have either found somewhere else to be that day--or have beaten the crap out of Jack when he did show up.
"…in the family homestead of his dead lover, the shirts they wore while cowboying together long before: shabby denim and weary cotton, wrapped in each other's arms." Like this. Always.

He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all