209 (43.8%)
The Book
45 (9.4%)
Equal
198 (41.5%)
Haven't seen/read both yet
25 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 437

Author Topic: Film vs. Book -- Which was better?  (Read 293870 times)

Offline Rosestem

• Feet Wet
Re: Film vs. Book -- Which was better?
« Reply #1005 on: December 17, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
Pardon me if this has already been posted somewhere on the forum ...

I came across a version of the Brokeback movie/book debate on the podcast Book vs Movie - March 30, 2018. It's an enjoyable listen. Margo and Margo have not done the deep dive that many of us have, but still they call out some scenes we haven't discussed to death here, and they bring fresh, interesting perspectives.

Their verdict? You'll have to listen to find out!

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
  • A Star is Born 1979-2008
« Reply #1006 on: December 17, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »
Pardon me if this has already been posted somewhere on the forum ...

I came across a version of the Brokeback movie/book debate on the podcast Book vs Movie - March 30, 2018. It's an enjoyable listen. Margo and Margo have not done the deep dive that many of us have, but still they call out some scenes we haven't discussed to death here, and they bring fresh, interesting perspectives.

Their verdict? You'll have to listen to find out!

Thanks, Rosestem. Where can I find the link for this podcast? I found the link:

https://radiopublic.com/book-vs-movie-podcast-6vo5l8/ep/s1!ed603
I know a love that will never grow old.

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
  • A Star is Born 1979-2008
« Reply #1007 on: December 17, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »
It was a treat to listen to this podcast. A couple of times, I wanted to interrupt and say I did not agree...when they say that the reunion scene in the movie is sexual as oppose to more of an embrace in the book?? No! Stubble rasping, wet saliva welling...pressing chest and groin... Very sexual and passionate and desperate...

I completely agreed with their verdict. It's a tie between the story and the film. I would not want to do without either one. The story twists my heart in knots in a different way the movie does, but the movie gives me Heath and Jake on screen, and there is nothing more beautiful that those two in love, in my eyes. And especially since Heath is in spirit, BBM is a treasure, and a huge part of his legacy.

Thanks again, Rosestem! I so love to hear or watch anything BBM.
I know a love that will never grow old.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1008 on: January 11, 2019, 06:10:35 PM »
It was a treat to listen to this podcast. A couple of times, I wanted to interrupt and say I did not agree...when they say that the reunion scene in the movie is sexual as oppose to more of an embrace in the book?? No! Stubble rasping, wet saliva welling...pressing chest and groin... Very sexual and passionate and desperate...

I completely agreed with their verdict. It's a tie between the story and the film. I would not want to do without either one. The story twists my heart in knots in a different way the movie does, but the movie gives me Heath and Jake on screen, and there is nothing more beautiful that those two in love, in my eyes. And especially since Heath is in spirit, BBM is a treasure, and a huge part of his legacy.

Thanks again, Rosestem! I so love to hear or watch anything BBM.

So true in regards to the film "Brokeback Mountain" (2005) being a part of Heath Ledger's legacy.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1009 on: August 22, 2021, 12:08:19 PM »

Happy Birthday Annie Proulx!

20180901SM0120.jpg by Library of Congress Life, on Flickr

Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden presents the Prize for American Fiction to Annie Proulx at the National Book Festival, September 1, 2018. Photo by Shawn Miller/Library of Congress.

Edna Ann Proulx is an American novelist, short story writer, and journalist. She has written most frequently as Annie Proulx but has also used the names E. Annie Proulx and E.A. Proulx.

She won the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction for her first novel, Postcards. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won both the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the U.S. National Book Award for Fiction and was adapted as a 2001 film of the same name. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning motion picture released in 2005.

Starting as a journalist, her first published work of fiction is thought to be "The Customs Lounge", a science fiction story published in the September 1963 issue of If, under the byline "E.A. Proulx".  Another contender, a year later, was a science fiction story called "All the Pretty Little Horses", which appeared in teen magazine Seventeen in June 1964. She subsequently published stories in Esquire magazine and Gray's Sporting Journal in the late 1970s, eventually publishing her first collection in 1988 and her first novel in 1992. Subsequently, she was awarded NEA (in 1992) and Guggenheim (in 1993) fellowships.

A few years after receiving much attention for The Shipping News, she had the following comment on her celebrity status:

It's not good for one's view of human nature, that's for sure. You begin to see, when invitations are coming from festivals and colleges to come read (for an hour for a hefty sum of money), that the institutions are head-hunting for trophy writers. Most don't particularly care about your writing or what you're trying to say. You're there as a human object, one that has won a prize. It gives you a very odd, ginger kind of sensation.

In 1997, Annie Proulx was awarded the Dos Passos Prize, a mid-career award for American writers. Proulx has twice won the O. Henry Prize for the year's best short story. In 1998, she won for "Brokeback Mountain", which had appeared in The New Yorker on October 13, 1997. Proulx won again the following year for "The Mud Below", which appeared in The New Yorker June 22 and 29, 1999. Both appear in her 1999 collection of short stories, Close Range: Wyoming Stories. The lead story in this collection, entitled "The Half-Skinned Steer", was selected by author Garrison Keillor for inclusion in The Best American Short Stories 1998, (Proulx herself edited the 1997 edition of this series) and later by novelist John Updike for inclusion in The Best American Short Stories of the Century (1999). In 2001 Proulx was one of the writers heavily criticized by Brian Reynolds Myers in his polemical work A Reader's Manifesto.

In 2007, the composer Charles Wuorinen approached Proulx with the idea of turning her short story "Brokeback Mountain" into an opera. The opera of the same name with a libretto by Proulx herself premiered January 28, 2014, at the Teatro Real in Madrid. It was praised as an often brilliant adaptation that clearly conveyed the text of the libretto with music that is rich in imagination and variety.  In 2017 she received the Fitzgerald Award for that year for Achievement in American Literature.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1010 on: August 22, 2021, 02:52:36 PM »

Offline speedntech2

• Virgin
« Reply #1011 on: January 27, 2022, 11:03:58 PM »
For me, both are better in their own little way. Like for the movie, you visualize what you've read so it somewhat brings life to the characters. While for the book, there are parts of the book that only you can grasp in your imagination so it's a different experience. And base on my personal experience, when a book is adapted to movie, many important parts of the book are not depicted in the movie which somehow ruins the book.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1012 on: January 28, 2022, 03:14:38 AM »
Hello speedntech2, and welcome to the forum!

My name is Chuck (USA/ New Jersey) and I'm one of the moderators who helps run the place.

It's always great to see new members find us and join up!

I'm going to supply you with a few links that you may find helpful.  You may have already been in a few threads in these sections, but you may find some new topics you want to post in.  If you see that a topic is "old", and then you get a message about the thread being "old", as long as the thread is unlocked, you can post there, so please do!!!   Please don't feel that you shouldn't post.  You never know what conversation would be started because you posted.

In this section you can find threads to compare the movie to the short story (Film Vs. Book), your favorite quote from the movie or book, and general discussion of Brokeback.

In this section you can find threads about reactions of the audience, how the movie affected you, and other topics.

Here you will find threads that talk about various scenes from the movie. 

This is where you'll find threads that talk about Jack, Ennis, their relationship, the women of Brokeback, and other elements.

There are other sections as well where you'll find chat threads (The Diner,  Le Bar Slash) fan fiction discussion, TV, movies, music, and countless other threads.

Have fun exploring!

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1013 on: March 12, 2022, 04:49:28 PM »
I like to check in here from time to time to see if there are any new BOOK lovers, versus Film lovers!  ;D

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1014 on: March 16, 2022, 01:07:38 PM »
I like to check in here from time to time to see if there are any new BOOK lovers, versus Film lovers!  ;D

I think most people came to BBM via the movie, and I often wonder if any of them even bother to find the book?

I know I sought it out, but only after seeing the movie.  I'm someone who will read a book, see the movie, and then think "the book was better", so I specifically saw the movie first, and then read the book, so I could appreciate them both.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1015 on: March 17, 2022, 08:03:18 AM »
The more times I read the book, the more I found to love in it. But the same could be said of the film too, I suppose.

Those were good times, when we tried to tease out every last ounce of significance in a sentence or scene!

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1016 on: March 18, 2022, 09:43:50 AM »
Very true, Sara!   The amount of scrutiny we put into both the book and movie just goes to show how much it affected us, and how much we loved it.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1017 on: March 18, 2022, 11:30:53 AM »

I read the book before I saw the movie, but I read it wondering what the movie would be like made from it. After I was done, I thought: "The movie adapted from the story could be almost anything." It turned out to be everything! So I prefer the movie.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1018 on: March 19, 2022, 09:40:48 AM »
I read the book before I saw the movie, but I read it wondering what the movie would be like made from it. After I was done, I thought: "The movie adapted from the story could be almost anything." It turned out to be everything! So I prefer the movie.

I love what you said, the part I bolded.

I remember reading the short story after seeing the movie, and thinking that had I read the story first, I would've been very curious as to how that could be made into a movie.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1019 on: March 19, 2022, 10:41:57 AM »

(((((( Chuck ))))))