The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Questions or Comments About the Rules  (Read 33365 times)

Offline Bigheart

• Mistress of Slash
  • Obsessed
Re: Questions or Comments About the Rules
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 04:55:42 AM »
Hi, can somebody please help me, I'm pretty desperate here!! And I know I should be posting this on the Tip's and Tricks thread but everytime I try to go there I get thrown off the entire site!!!! The same goes for when I try to access the Jakes Eyelashes thread.
Does anyone else experience this? It's really frustrating. I'm not really good with computers so I have absolutely no idea what's going on............
Do anythin for him, reckon he'd do anything for me. Even shut that wide, grinnin mouth a his. But I won't ask, cause I don't want him to stop his babblin. When it gets too much, I kiss him. But sometimes even that don't work, and he goes on and on, whisperin into my mouth.   Babble by Helen

Offline Mo/sagha

• Experienced
  • o holy day
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 09:27:26 AM »
yes I do have one complaint or comment

I think it is very conventional & formulaic to say all caps are shouting while they clearly are not doing any such thing. iin this formum you can put in bold, in 16 pt. font in red all in lower case which is very much larger than the usual 10 pt. caps whatever you might want to say according to this silly rule and not be shouting.

Its illogical to be a slave of such a silly & pretentious rules. By whom, what & where was it established that posting in all lower case is rudely whispering or all caps is rudely shouting? On what basis was or are these statements true when something visually seen such as lower or upper case print is transformed to an audiology of normative behavior (of ought to or should.)  Obviously there is no, nor can you hear any volumne of font size and there is no reason to make such a silly fact. If we blindly accecpt such conventional prejudice what does that say about the innate ability of people to overcome their prejudices, dislikes or biases?
                       YOUTH IS CURIOUS, YOUTH WANTS TO KNOW  --MO

SILENCE=TIREIRON

Offline Parenthetical Greg

• Dave's little helper
  • Administrator
  • Experienced
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 10:33:09 AM »
Mo,

No one suggested that reading something written in all caps actually stimulates the reader’s auditory nerves.

Rendering phrases in all caps is an emphatic treatment. It is to the written word what shouting is to the spoken word.

This convention predates all of us. If you’re really interested in its origins, you’ll find this and a host of other typographic conventions have developed and evolved over the last 400 years. This particular case probably emerged in the earlier half of that timeframe.

You apparently reject this convention, which is certainly your prerogative. On the forum, however, we ask people to adhere to it. That of course is Dave’s prerogative.

As you note, some people also use large fonts or colored fonts for emphasis. As with all caps, the extraordinary use where the emphasis is appropriate will pass without notice. Frequent/unnecessary use will result in the moderators asking the person to refrain from doing so.

We all come here to exchange ideas, some of them profound. . . others light-hearted. Using distracting formatting (anything that draws the eye away from the natural rhythm of the conversation) is generally a bad idea. It disrupts the conversation. We don’t want that.

--(Greg)

Offline Mo/sagha

• Experienced
  • o holy day
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 08:04:12 AM »

you make a good point about convention, Greg, which in some or even perhaps most cases are arbitrary. And of course I know it is not yr invention or invented here, though I believe it was accepted by many only in the recent past, its origins lost ins obscurity, in the early to middle 80s when dos listservs were the domain of mainly academics, researchers or professionals. It's always just struck me as an obvious false premise & thus silly rule.
Also I fully understand yr point that it is not helpful to have disruption on boards as there is enough disruptive opinions and beliefs already there, but that is one convenience that hardly disrupts anything (imo) until it is placed in a negative comparison, like your ratio of something being like or to something else i.e the emphasis is grating on when the convention is accepted.
anyway, thanks for yr response and you do a terrific job here & congratulations for its success that you obviously have played no small role in achieving. Michael O'Neill=mo=sagha
SILENCE=TIREIRON

Offline Leandra

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2006, 05:59:40 AM »
Sorry, I hope this hasn't been asked a thousand times somewhere else already, but:

1. How big can a signature pic be? In pixels?

2. Why are the avatars only 65x65 px. Does the forum software automatically resize them if I upload a bigger avatar?

Thanks in advance :)
Leandra

EDIT:
and another question: Is there a place on this forum where I could post my own fiction? I normally write in German, but I have a short piece that I could translate, as I would very much like to share. But I've no clue where to post it ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 02:56:20 AM by Leandra »

Offline louisev

• Membership_deactivated.
  • Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2006, 03:07:12 AM »
Somewhere in the midst of the Jake Gyllenhaal section there was some clarification from Dave about toning down the explicitness of the non "Adult Section" threads. But I really don't see anyone holding it down.  In the past few days it has gotten more and more explicit, particularly in the Scene by Scene threads, which I read.

Maybe I am in an uncomfortable minority, but my response to the film was not a sexual one, nor do I get any sexual excitement out of rehearsing the romantic scenes in the film in the Scene by Scene section punctuated by "Holy F?ck!" or "Pant pant!"  To me BBM was a beautiful and tragic romance, and its disheartening that people are posting their drool more and more over the scene by scene and fan sections, and it is a real turnoff.  I was sure that the rules stated "If you are getting your rocks off you can bet other people are getting uncomfortable," or something close to that.  Well - you bet I'm uncomfortable, because I didn't come here to get turned on with a bunch of strangers, I came to appreciate and discuss the film and its actors.  And "Holy F?ck" and "Pant pant pant" doesn't cut it for me.  And saying "Part we aren't supposed to mention" is mentioning it.  Wasn't there a suggestion if you want to get graphic, to bring it to PM? 

Offline ICEMAN

• Feet Wet
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 09:50:05 AM »

Members are not allowed to start a new thread/topic?? ::)

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 10:22:12 AM »
Members are not allowed to start a new thread/topic?? ::)

Members can start a new thread/topic in The Meet and Greet area: http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline Stina

• Obsessed
    • My First BBM FanFiction (more to follow)
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 08:37:24 AM »
I have a request: Could the - on most boards common and followed - non-hotlinking policy and rule please be included in the board rules?

Background is - I have webspace and email adress at two German providers (is provider the right word? I always mix this up). One I use for my photo website (arcor), the other (1&1) to upload the pics that I post on message boards. The bill for 1&1 was always, for about 4 or 5 years now, 4,99 Euro a month. Last month, it was suddenly 21 Euro. Eeek!
I asked 1&1 and experts on other boards and they confirmed it could come from people hotlinking my pics to other websites and boards. It couldn´t have been anything else, because atm I am so caught up in this board that I hardly post on other boards anymore *lol*. And it started right after I started posting self-made screencaps of BBM.
I am allowed 3 MB traffic at 1&1 (uploaded my pics now at arcor, they allow 1000MB, should have looked this up earlier, would have saved me money...) and the 3 MB were exceeded.

I found out that a lot of people are unaware of what hotlinking is and why it shouldn´t be done. I found a rather good explanation on one internet site: "A simple analogy for bandwidth theft: Imagine a random stranger plugging into your electrical outlets, using your electricity without your consent, and you paying for it."

The Orlando Bloom board I am on has in its rules:

"No Hotlinking of Images from a Site Not Your Own or from ka-Bloom.
Hotlinking is posting of an image to another place on the internet by directly linking to it from a server which you do not control.
This includes avatars, signature images or pictures. It's bad Netiquette. It robs website owners of much-needed bandwidth."

To make a long story short - could we have such a line in the rules here, too?
"It was definitely like walking on the moon for the first time, but it wasn't the butt of a mule. I was kissing a human being with a soul." Heath Ledger on kissing Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 05:22:47 AM »
stina...

is it the case that you don't begrudge the downloading and/or use of your images, as long as folks upload them to their own web page or photo site?

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Wayne SF

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 09:01:47 AM »
I dont' think this question belongs here, however, I am unable to figure out the best place to ask.  I want to shop on Amazon through the BBM page.  I shop very often on the internet, but I cna't figure out how to do this.  Any help?  PM me please !
...he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 01:49:11 PM »
I dont' think this question belongs here, however, I am unable to figure out the best place to ask.  I want to shop on Amazon through the BBM page.  I shop very often on the internet, but I cna't figure out how to do this.  Any help?  PM me please !

Hi Wayne
TO do so Click on the ULTIMATE BROKEBACK STORE just above the logout button (just to the left of the News box)
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 07:38:52 PM »
Wayne:

Once you click on one of the links to Amazon through our 'store', Amazon will track your purchases until you log off, and the forum gets a small commission on each sale.

I"m pretty sure the same applies when you go to Cafepress through our 'store'.