The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet Sept 11 to Sept 17, 2006  (Read 11150 times)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
The Daily Sheet Sept 11 to Sept 17, 2006
« on: September 11, 2006, 07:12:56 AM »
The Daily Sheet
September 11, 2006

Care Packages to Iraq Soldiers Who Followed Our Forum Quit//No Quit Debate

ImJackshesEnnis and her partner ImEnnisshesJack are leading an effort to send care packages to the group of U.S. soldiers who briefly followed our quit/no quit debate last spring.  To recap for new members:  back in the days before we had an official thread to contain the discussion Did Jack Quit Ennis?, a raging quit/no-quit argument flared up in the scenes threads for a time in April.  All who participated suffered a lot of  sturm und drang, and the moderators were kept extra busy trying to decide what constituted "healthy" debate.

There was, however, at least one group of lurkers who found it entertaining.  Here is a re-cap from The Daily Sheet on May 31st, when brokeback_1 summed up the account he heard from his relative, a soldier on leave.

Daily Sheet Flashback:  May 26:

brokeback_1 wrote:--A homesick young soldier from  Wyoming with internet access stumbled across a  link to the Forum.  Knowing nothing about Brokeback Mountain, he  checked out the site and found the debate.  When his friends asked what he was looking at, he said it appeared to be an online war. Pressed for further details, he explained that it seemed to be a debate between two opposing camps bitterly arguing whether or not one fictional gay cowboy had left the other fictional gay cowboy in the film Brokeback Mountain

After doubting his sanity several soldiers checked it out for themselves.  Before many days had elapsed 5 or 6 of the younger soldiers in his unit were following the posts, augmented with information collected from various sources and copy of the short story from the original collection, sent along with many other books by someone's relatives.  Straight boys all, without ever seeing the film, had begun to debate it among themselves.

Soon, one could hear heated conversations in the streets, with lines like "I can't see the Texan just walking out after 20 years,"  and  "Why did he STAY 20 years, I'm glad he walked!"  My personal  favorite?  "We could use Ennis in this unit."

Editor's note:  This wonderful story was brought to us by brokeback_1 who is actually related to one of the soldiers who told all of this to him (his brother's nephew).  In some ways, the story sounds too good to be true, so it is very exciting that brokeback_1 was actually able to give us all of the details and verify all of this for us.

Isn't it great to know that OUR forum caused a few more people to read the story?  (Not to mention that we managed to entertain the troops through our own unwitting shenanigans…)

Since that story ran, brokeback_1 has kept in touch with his relative so we can send a care package to the soldiers who were part of this story.  Heidi and Carol are ready to organize the effort.  If you wish to participate, please visit the thread.(a work in progress.)

Book Club Reading Schedule for The Front Runner

michaelflanagansf posted:  Here is the reading schedule for The Front Runner  by Patricia Nell Warren.  Please begin reading the book by September 25th.  Discussion of the first quarter (Chapters 1 - 5) will run from Oct. 2 - 8.  Discussion of the second quarter (Chapters 6 - 11) will take place from Oct. 9 - 15.  Discussion of the third quarter (Chapters 12 - 15) will occur from Oct. 16 - 22.  Discussion of the final quarter (Chapters 16 - Epilogue) will happen Oct. 23 - 29.  I look forward to seeing you here for a lively discussion!

Click here to purchase the book from Amazon through our Ultimate Brokeback Store.

Casper, Wyoming BBM Screening and Discussion Panel with Annie Proulx

adrian.delmar posted the following calendar events:

The Casper College/ARTCORE  "Equality State Book Festival," will be held Oct. 19-21, at the college and numerous venues around Casper.  The festival will include readings, book signings, panel discussions, movie screenings, author visits to the public schools, a book fair, and a late night poetry slam.  All events are free and open to the public.

October 19-Brokeback Mountain free screening;  1:00 - 3:30PM, Iris Stadium Theater. 
Following the screening wlll be a lively discussion by Bruce Richardson, a lecturer of English from the University of Wyoming.

October 21-'Cowboy Myths/Cowboy Realities' discussion panel including Annie Proulx;  2:00 - 3:00PM, First United Methodist Church

Wyoming Poet Laureate David Romtvedt will moderate this panel.  The authors' books will be for sale at the event.

adrian.delmar wrote:  "For Wyoming residents or those wishing to make the commute, this could make a fullfilling 3-day event!  Riverton is a three hour drive east where you could find the now famous 1942 mural at the Riverton Post Office depicting two, young ranch hands tending sheep.  Also, a 2 1/2 hour drive north is The Mint Bar in Sheridan.  Remember this is the bar that Annie Proulx was in, when inspired to write Brokeback Mountain!  This is where the story was born.  Could be fun."

For more details, see the full post.

Lifestyles in the Forum:  Gardener's Corner

Forum gardeners are posting pics of their gardens and swapping advice. 

whiplash continues his on-going series of photographs showing what's blooming in around his home in NW Illinois.  Here's a sample:

Naked Lily

Pat Sinnot treated us to a history of his gardens from 1981 to the present.   Here is a beautiful shot of his first house:

First house, 1981-1988, driveway looking onto front porch.

Follow this link to see the progression of Pat’s homes and gardens. 

Jake Narrates DVD For Kids About Tightrope Walk Between Twin Towers

William R. Wood reported in The Kalamazoo Gazette:  “As others brace for the grimness of the fifth anniversary of attacks on the World Trade Center, Mordicai Gerstein wants to talk about happy memories connected with the Twin Towers.  Gerstein is especially interested in the time when a man walked a tightrope from one tower to the other, captivating New York City. It is the subject of the new children's DVD The Man Who Walked Between The Towers (Scholastic Video Collection,), based on Gerstein's Caldecott Award-winning book of the same name…`For almost an hour, back and forth, he walked, danced, ran and knelt in a salute upon the wire,' actor Jake Gyllenhaal narrates on the DVD, using text from the book. `He even lay down to rest.’”

Previously, the DVD was only available to schools and libraries. August marked the debut of the DVD on home video.

Heath Talks About Candy, I’m Not There, and Batman

In an interview for globeandmail.com, Heath Ledger said:
"I've always been picky in my choices," says Ledger, "But nowadays, I'm a lot more so."  The change came with the birth of his daughter, Matilda, last fall, with Brokeback Mountain co-star Michelle Williams. "She's such an awesome, beautiful little girl that Michelle and I hate spending five minutes away from her, never mind five months, so it has to be really, really worth it."

Currently Heath is in Canada promoting Candy, preparing to begin shooting on the Bob Dylan biopic I’m Not There, and has the role of the Joker lined up for 2007.  Follow the link for  more Heath quotes.

BBM Tabloid Headlines

by CANSTANDIT

GRANDPARENTS FOUND DEAD; PARENTS FOUND LOCKED IN CLOSET

Claim boy was 'talking' them to death, 'for years on end'.

Calendar

Forum Events

16 Sep - New York City - Forum Get Together
29 Sep - 1 Oct - Chicago - Midwest Slash Bash
30 Sep - London - Forum Get Together for all Europeans

Other Events

8-10 Sep - Washington, DC - Atlantic Stampede Rodeo
14-17 Sep - San Francisco, CA - 15th Annual Gay Rodeo
5-8 Oct - Las Vegas, NV - Big Horn Rodeo
7 Nov - Pinecreek, WY - Toast to Jack and Ennis

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Editors:  Ellen (tellyouwhat) and Jan (CactusGal)

Columnists:  PeteinPortland, DCLuke, cynical21, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf

Reporter in the Field:  karind1

Proofreader/Researcher:  Gonzo (twistedboy)

Today’s edition produced by Ellen Raff (tellyouwhat) ellen@davecullen.com

Contributors:  ImJackshesEnnis, ImEnnisshesJack, brokeback_1, michaelflanagasf, adrian.delmar, mary, Mooska, gnash, whiplash, PatSinnot, CANSTANDIT, karind1

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.
When a new TDS is posted, it will be forwarded to your email address.

Previous issues of The Daily Sheet here.

Response thread for The Daily Sheet here.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:19:01 AM by BrokenOkie »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
Re: The Daily Sheet September 11 to September 17, 2006
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 06:05:51 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Sept 12, 2006

TDS Help Wanted

We are looking to expand the staff of The Daily Sheet  and would like to add more volunteers. 

First, we need an additional proofer/formatter.  Attention to detail and good computer skills are necessary.  In addition, this person needs to be available in US daytime hours.  Actual time devoted would be approximately ½-1 hr 3 or 4 times a week.

Secondly, we would like to find several apprentice editors.  Good writing skills are a must as well as daytime (USA) availability.  This person would be trained as a back-up to our existing editors and eventually take over a day or so of TDS

If you would be interested in hearing more about this, please contact via PM PeteinPortland or e-mail him at Pete@davecullen.com.

Twist Ranch Goes Interactive

by Jim Bond  www.findingbrokeback.com

There can be little doubt that the four most popular Brokeback visitor locations are:

Campsite #2 (Goat Creek)
      The Laundry Apartment (Fort Macleod)
      The "I did once" Lake (Upper Kananaskis Lake)
      The Twist Ranch (Hwy 9, 9.0 km. east of Beiseker, AB.)

Of these, the alluring Twist Ranch is by far the least accessible.  It is neither in a public park, nor is it in a town.  It is located in private property and boarded up.  Besides, as Ennis would say, it is "way the hell in the back of nowhere."

Industrious Barry Gilligan (csean97 here) resolved to "open up" the Twist Ranch and has created an interactive version of this remarkable building at FindingBrokeback.com.  Start downstairs and after you have seen the memorable dining room and kitchen, "you are welcome to go up to his room if you want."

Thank you Barry for this remarkable resource!  Thanks also to Rob Freeman for his help in making this possible.

Thread of the Day:  Favourite Line From a Movie

A new, fun thread was started this week by Lola - so get yourself over there to add in your favorite line from a film.  Here's a few already mentioned:

Casper:  From Bonnie & Clyde - Faye Dunaway:  "We Rob Banks"

AHappyMan:  From Seems Like Old Times - Police Officer: "You know you just went through a stop sign??"   Chester: "I know, I was just about to back up and stop at it!"

annabel:  From The Way We Were - "Everything came too easily to him"

CactusGal:  From Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - "Are you kidding?  The fall'll probably kill ya."

FanFiction Review

By Cynical21

Our featured story this week is a bit of a departure from others we've discussed recently, as it includes elements of a form known in fan-fic circles as the crossover - combining components from two or more different original stories to form a new setting.  In her new fic, Whispering, Forum member rabenkoenigin has used the familiar cast of Brokeback Mountain  and put them into alternative universe circumstances by fusing in certain elements from the well-known novel, The Horse Whisperer, by Nicholas Evans.  Though the story is barely begun, the premise is very interesting, and represents a new approach to the story of Jack and Ennis.

The plot differs from the original story in that Jack and Ennis meet for the first time in 1973, brought together by an accident suffered by Jack's thirteen-year-old son, Bobby, which leaves the boy paraplegic and his horse traumatized.  The relationship between father and son is portrayed as very heartwarming and devoted - something that was never explored in either film or novella - and adds a pleasant aspect to the characters' interactions.  Searching for help for the horse, Jack and Bobby travel up to Montana to meet Ennis del Mar, a man who is reputed to be one of the mysterious 'horse whisperers' but who has shown no interest in being hired out by the "rich, fat Texan" that he assumes Jack to be.  Though Jack's initial interest is in nothing more than finding help for his son and the horse he loves, his encounter with Ennis del Mar opens unexpected doors in the lives of both men, and forces them to deal with previously unsuspected facets of their lives and sexuality.

The author (real name - Cathy) is an eighteen-year-old student from Germany who declares that she is "living proof that everyone catches Brokeback fever, sooner or later."  She admits that she knew, with her very first viewing of the film, in March, 2006, that she would never be able to 'live with the ending' and was encouraged, when she discovered the DC forum, to write her own story, and try to find a way to allow our cowboys to build that 'sweet life' together.

Very intriguing, very well written and very well plotted - all from the pen of an 18-year-old writer.  One is forced to wonder what masterpiece she might produce by age 30.   

Follow this link to read the Whispering  and other slash by rabenkoenigin.

Or go directly to rabenkoenigin's LiveJournal

Post of the Day

Michaelflanagansf always seems to say it best, as he did again this week in the How the Forum Get Togethers Have Affected Me

"I've been thinking about this a bit this week - I had a friend challenge me about both the forum and the gatherings last weekend.  I've been trying to meet people online for over a decade and have gone to various 'fan' events and gatherings.  This is much different - in the music gatherings I went to I often felt I was being 'scoped out' by people so that they could either figure out if I was 'cool enough' for them to hang out with, or if I knew musicians and could introduce them.  In a way that was kind of creepy.  And some of the other 'fan' events I've gone to - well, let's just say that some of those folks really gave 'get a life' new meaning.  But neither of these things has been true in the people I've met here - they are vital, interesting people and they are really interested in you - not what your status is, or what you can get them - they're interested in getting to know you.  And that was overwhelming, refreshing and very, very stimulating."

Amen, to that Michael! 

Photocaps of the Day

by gnash

where did i put my fleshlight?

by TwistandShout

Jack: Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray Thee, Lord, this love to keep. . .

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Today’s edition produced by Jan Geyer (CactusGal) jan@davecullen.com

Contributors:  TwistandShout, gnash, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:52:20 AM by BrokenOkie »

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 06:33:05 AM »
The Daily Sheet
September 13, 2006

Ang Lee's Next Film

According to ComingSoon.com, Ang Lee's next film is set for release in the third quarter of 2007.  Lust, Caution  is a thriller starring Joan Chen, Tony Leung Chiu-wai, Tang Wei, Leehom Wang.

The film, based on a 26-page short story by famed Chinese writer Eileen Chang, is about a group of patriotic students who plot to assassinate the intelligence chief in the Japanese-backed Chinese government during the World War II era.

Annie Proulx to Speak Tomorrow in North Carolina

Annie Proulx will be speaking on Sept 14th at Davidson College in Davidson NC. 

Davidson College has a strong series of author events each year.  They're free, but tickets are sometimes required.  704-894-2140; .

Discuss "People in Hell Just Want a Drink of Water"

People in the Close Range Book Discussion Group thread just want some insight to help us understand this Annie Proulx story.  Today (Wednesday) we are throwing out preliminary questions for discussion, and we will be busy trying to answer the questions over the next week or so.  We are working through the Close Range stories at about a week per story, on average.  Join us any time.

Quinceañera  Review

by michaelflanagansf

Annie Proulx's novels and short stories often take place in worlds on a fault line, economically and socially.  And much like the world of Brokeback Mountain, being depopulated as people move to cities for a better life, the world of Echo Park in Los Angeles lies on a similar fault line in the new movie Quinceañera.  What happens to the people of Mexican American and Central American ancestry who have been living in a community when gentrification starts to change their neighborhood?  Can they save their way of life and live with the new additions to the neighborhood?

Adding to the complexities of these questions are the problems caused by personal choices (again, much as in Annie's world).  A young girl finds herself mysteriously pregnant, though she's never gone 'all the way'.  A young man is kicked out of his home, not because of his gang affiliations, but because of his becoming aware he is gay.  A gay couple bring a third person into their relationship and have to deal with the difficulties when the new member of the triad becomes more attracted to one of the couple.

Quinceañera  is a remarkable movie because it does not play to simple and familiar stereotypes.  Gangs and gang violence have nothing to do with this family-oriented film.  The preacher father of the pregnant girl is an evangelical minister, so the Catholic church is not invoked in the film.  The gays and lesbians in the film are of all cultures and speak both Spanish and English.  And because the film doesn't play to stereotypes, the answers are more complex.  How far do you go to save your relationship?  What would you do to save a family member in need?  What role does 'extended family' play in our lives?

The acting in the film is superb.  Emily Rios plays Magdalena - a studious, serious young girl that you never doubt for a minute - she's the kind of character you pull for throughout the film.  The sizzling Jesse Garcia (from Rawlins, Wyoming) plays Carlos - an angry but sympathetic teen trying to integrate his sexuality and his culture.  And Chalo González (who was in Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch ) steals the film as the soulful, loving bachelor great uncle who makes a home for these two troubled kids.

In turns humorous, lively, compelling and sad (bring tissues) Quinceañera  has a big talented ensemble cast that wins your heart and brings you into their world.  Expect to be surprised by it and expect to enjoy the experience.

…and Listen for Babel

In unrelated (but Brokeback  related) news, keep your ears open if you go to see the new film, Babel  by Alejandro González Iñárritu (Amores Perros, 21 Grams ).  The soundtrack for the film, much as with his other films, is composed by Gustavo Santaolalla.  Aside from being a treat for the ears it should be a treat for the eyes too, with Rodrigo Prieto as the Cinematographer (and having Gael García Bernal in the film can't hurt either). - michaelflanagansf

Thief River :  Brokeback With Less Sheep

Thief River, a play written in 2001 by Lee Blessing, has opened at the Chattanooga Theater Center.  The play deals with homosexuality in the lives of maturing men.  Maggie Behringer of Chattanooga Pulse[/i]  interviewed Scott Dunlap, the director: 

Dunlap:  "At heart it's a love story, but because of the different time periods, we see how difficult it is for (the two characters) to be themselves.  I hate to say it, but it's a bit of Brokeback Mountain  with less sheep…I respect the straight guys who came to it because it's one thing for Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal to play gay characters, but it's different for someone in our community.  For the gay actors, (the play) is cathartic because it's reliving their experiences.  All the actors are venerable and, to me, that's good theatre."

Forum Get-Togethers Continue in September

This Saturday, September 16th members will gather at New York's Central Park.  At this writing 26 members are expected to attend.  For more info, check the NY area get together thread.  Midwest Slash Bash and London get-together are coming up at month-end, check our forum calendar at the bottom of TDS.

BBQ Slide Shows

Various inventive members who attended the Texas BBQ have created "video slide shows" from their photos.  Thanks to fritzkep for assembling a list of all the slide shows, so we don't have to search through the threads for the links.

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=6873.msg458613#msg458613

http://taxine.com/fullerspicer/bbq_aroundthehill.mov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhy8CPVanCo

http://taxine.com/fullerspicer/bbq_beat.mov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9bp_fieu2Y

http://taxine.com/fullerspicer/bbq_icon.mov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg5svQkb0J8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV_A2VmhMn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbyf3gTMoII

http://taxine.com/fullerspicer/bbq_love.mov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S3fk__UjX4

Photo Cap of the Day

by Lyle (Mooska)

Jack:  "You from ranch people?"

Ennis:  "I was.  You from the village people?"

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

19-21 Oct - Casper, WY - Equality State Book Festival

Contributors:  Brad1963, Mary, fritzkep, Lyle (Mooska)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:54:45 AM by BrokenOkie »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 05:37:45 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Sept 14, 2006

Fascinating Jobs - AHappyMan

AHappyMan's talent has lead him to an interesting career:

"For twenty years I've been working in motion picture visual effects, specifically background and environment design, called matte painting.  I started working before there was any such thing as digital filmmaking, and I was really lucky to be getting jobs without having been go to art school.  I'm self-taught. And over the years I've gotten to work with some of the greatest directors of our time, including Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielberg, Brian DePalma, a lot of my heroes from the 70's Golden Age of Hollywood. I worked at George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic for four years.

There are a few matte paintings in BBM; the night shot of Jack alone with the sheep, smoking and thinking about Ennis, and the approaching hail storm come to mind.  They're very well done.  I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and split my time between working from home and traveling to L.A. for business.  I've also recently started writing, after threatening to for years.

I found the Forum because after watching BBM on DVD, I couldn't understand Heath's final line!  So I went online looking for the script, and found this Forum instead.  The Forum helped me through the early stages of Brokeback Fever, and the friends I've made from around the world keep me coming back!

Here's some of my stuff from various movies.

From Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace:

From Kate and Leopold:

From The Day After Tomorrow:

Editor's Note:   Recently there was a discussion on the How Brokeback affected me thread about the Alley scene with Ennis.   AHappyMan shared his recipe for how Ennis came about being in this situation.  Check it out to see if you don't agree that this is a succinct effort to clarify this:

A HappyMan:  "Yep, take a breaking heart, mix in 1 part denial and 1 part self hatred,
shake in 1/2 tablespoon of scared-sh@tless panic, season liberally
with guilt, and a smidgen of rage.  Shake vigorously and down the hatch.

Five minutes later, you'll be Ennis in that alley."

FanArt of the Day

by gnash

Photocaps of the Day

by gnash

BROKEBACK BED AND BREAKFAST

IT COULD BE LIKE THIS, JUST LIKE THIS, ALWAYS.

Rooms available on a first-come-first-serve basis.  Double occupancy fees apply.  Special rates for those who are too goddamn special or if they know where Brokeback Mountain  is.  If you decide to stay longer than a one shot deal, it's nobody's business but yours.  No dogs, cats, or bitchy children allowed.  No blue parkas allowed.  Anybody caught wearing a sombrero on the premises will be asked to leave.  The white things you see outside the window aren't sheep without legs they are clouds.  Rates subject to increase without notice.  Convenience refrigerator is refilled every night and is limited to beer, whisky, big apples, cherry cakes, ketchup, and instant soup and coffee.  Smoking and beans allowed.  Please do not ask why we never brought any trouts home -- there is no fishing allowed.  And please do not ask where the big horns are - they are not here nor are they in Texas.  Please do not get high and walk across the meadows like a small insect moves across a tablecloth.  A surcharge will apply if you flatten the harmonica without letting the staff know about it ahead of time.  Do be careful driving down the hill when you leave -- if you think you are going too fast, please put the brakes on.  For historical information, please consult your Oujia board.  If you split up with your wife, decide to stay and lick the ranch, we will call your folks.  Please visit again, we can't make it on a few high altitude reservations a year, and we hope you never get tired of our old lonesome ranch.  NOTE: Aguirre will not find out.

Royandronnie adds:  …and remember: "you can check out, but you can never leave…"

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

Contributors:  AHappyMan, gnash, royandronnie

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:58:34 AM by BrokenOkie »

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 07:31:40 AM »
The Daily Sheet
September 15, 2006

BBM Calendar Now Available Through Ultimate Brokeback Store

Here is what members are saying about the BBM Calendar:

Brad1963: "I ordered mine already. I'm sure it would be purchased by about everyone on these boards."

rickpouch is very happy with his calendar:  “It's well worth the $12.99 to have this calendar on the wall for more than a year (It also includes Sept. through December of this year w/ a side shot of Jack and Ennis on their horses--that photo at that particular angle is not familiar to me).”

To buy the calendar, enter Amazon through the Ultimate Brokeback Store. Whenever you purchase from Amazon through our store link, the forum receives 7% of the sale price.

New Book Club Poll

michaelflanagansf has posted a new book club poll to give us more time to choose the next book.  Please join in the voting at this link.  Does it seem like we just voted?  It may -- we recently picked Patricia Nell Warren's novel The Front Runner for our discussion in October, and we still have that ahead of us.  Early voting on the next book will give more people a chance to participate and locate the book.

Where are all the Gay-Friendly Colleges?

Here is an excerpt from an article by Stephanie Rosenbloom for The New York Times:

“THIS fall, stacked amid the hefty new college admissions books like “The Best 361 Colleges” and “Financial Aid for the Utterly Confused” is a guide about an entirely different sort of college acceptance.

The Advocate College Guide for LGBT Students (Alyson Books) profiles 100 of the country’s ‘best campuses’ for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students, and it arrives at a time when gay students are more vocal and visible.

‘It’s looking more like half or most gay and lesbian Americans are coming out before they get to college,’ said Bruce Steele, the guide’s editor in chief. ‘Unlike in the past, the experience they will have on a campus is something they can think about before they go to college.’

Click here to read the full article.

Member’s Photo Album

TexasMama posted in Jake’s Eyelashes:

“My stepdaughter works for the bike shop that Lance Armstrong shops in in Austin. JAKE IS IN THERE RIGHT NOW TRYING ON SHOES! He was spotted at the UT game in Matthew McConaghey's box over the weekend. I totally knew Colleen would meet him. I knew it!!...I've asked her to take some picture and email them to me. I'll post them when she emails them…OMG …She's like, ‘It's so weird. No body is approaching him. Nobody knows who he is!! I’m so nervous. What do I do?’”

Get a picture, of course.  Jake graciously agreed to pose for this picture with Colleen in the bike store.

Jake with Colleen in Austin Bike Store

Word is that Jake is on location in Austin working on the Lance Armstrong biopic.

Your Pics Here

If you have a favorite picture of Jake or Heath (not necessarily with any one of your relatives) please send it to ellen@davecullen.com and explain why it is your favorite.

What Else Can You Do With All Those Pictures of Jake?

MarinJakeFan posted in Jake’s Eyelashes:

“I thought you guys might get a kick out of what I have done with some of the pix you have posted here over the past several months. This is next to my desk in my tiny office where I spend a good part of my work week. Makes me smile every time I look at that beautiful man, which I do a lot!”

Do you have a fan corner or BBM gallery in your office or home that you can share with us?  Send a picture to ellen@davecullen.com

Sig-Lines in the Forum

Today we learn why lovelyamazing chose this quote from Virgil:

We Can Because We Think We Can

----- adapted from Virgil's "Possunt Quia Posse Videntur" via Harvard-WestLake School

lovelyamazing wrote:  “I'll tell you the whole background -- the signature line is inextricably tied up with my entire Jake and Brokeback Mountain experience which led me to this forum. I now feel so much at home here and this is one more way that I've  chosen to express my sense of empowerment through this entire experience.

I was one of the few who discovered Jake before I discovered BBM. I was so struck by Jake that I read everything I could find about him. It was through Jake that I discovered this phenomenal movie. When I entered this forum on 29th June I never knew all the "impossible" things I would find happening to me. I had not seen Brokeback Mountain at the time (I'd only seen the Logo video, trailer and clips) and had no hope I'd ever get to see it --- through the incredible  kindness of people here I did actually get to see it on 2nd August. Mine was a case of "love at no sight" ... I was already deep into the film without having seen it. Though I often feel part-Jack part-Ennis, my sense of identification with Jack was much stronger.

I'm in the education line and I've had so many disillusioning experiences with mainstream education (and even the "so-called" alternative education). My reactions to this were coming to a head around the time that I discovered Jake/BBM. I was inspired by the passion that Jake felt for this film, his complete identification with Jack Twist and his unwavering commitment to the cause.

When I first chose the signature line it was just the Latin "Possunt Quia Posse Videntur," the motto of Harvard-Westlake school, Jake's alma mater.  I felt at every point that Jake was actually living out his school motto which translates as "They can because they think they can.”

Many things have changed in my life since my Jake/BBM encounter. A whole new universe has unfolded itself to me. I've found outlets for self-expression, places where I'm not being judged all the time. The entire experience has so powerfully reinforced "self-belief" in me that I have internalized the words. When I became "officially obsessed" on this forum it meant something more than a number to flaunt --- it symbolized for me the sense of freedom and belonging I felt to walk in whenever, wherever and speak my heart out in a post. It was then that I added the English translation and changed "They" to "We" because I felt so personally about it.  Any time I feel out of steam I repeat it to myself and get over some tough hurdle. I find Jake a constant inspiration because of his insatiable quest for new experience, his humility, his willingness to open up to change, his grit, determination, commitment and in his own words  "embracing" what he finds most difficult.  I've seen how Jake stretches the limits of his endurance and succeeds. In my mind the motto is inextricably bound up with the Jake/Jack persona -- it's something that people all too easily don't believe and they transmit that negativity to those whom they mentor.”

Your Favorite Sig-Line Here

If you have a favorite sig-line in the forum you would like to nominate, write to ellen@davecullen.com 

Awards Aftermath: Another Look

In an article on Popmatters.com Amos Posner explores modern themes and culture as depicted in film-making.  He discusses many films, including the two current films about 9/11, and finally draws these conclusions about BBM and Crash:

“By regarding those two Oscar contenders as only a pair of ‘issue’ movies, people failed to see the more important question at hand: the cinematic one. Brokeback Mountain was a rich visual experience, with a lyrical, painterly beauty that far transcended whatever its writing and performances had to offer. Crash, on the other hand, was mostly just crassly strung-together, skin-deep pieces of heavy-handed drama posing as something richer. We lose our artistic values when we assign importance to work not because of its aesthetic and creative contributions, but because our half-assed notions of social consciousness.”

Click here to read the full article.

TGIF Happy Hour Menu

by Lyle (Mooska)

THE JACK TWIST COCKTAIL:  It goes down easy.

THE JACK NASTY COCKTAIL:  After a few you'll be lookin all perky.

THE MATIN' CALL COCKTAIL:  Two drinks and you become versatile.

THE LASHAWN COCKTAIL:  After a few you'll be running off at the mouth.

ENNIS:  "I don't drink cocktails unless Alma Beers is gone."

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

[url=http://www.bayarearodeo.com/Rodeo2006/BB06-schedule.html]14-17 Sep - San Francisco, CA - 15th Annual Gay Rodeo

Reporter in the Field:  Karind1

Proofreader/Researcher:  Gonzo (twistedboy) and gnash

Contributors:  Mary, Brad1963, rickpouch, TexasMama, MarinJakeFan, lovelyamazing, Lyle (Mooska),
royandronnie, ImJackshesEnnis

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:01:32 AM by BrokenOkie »

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 04:13:04 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Sept 16, 2006

Tcolors is our Member Profile for today.  Those who attended the TX BBQ will remember his easy smile!  He shares his life:

"Hello All,

Well, me?  Ummm, my name is Avery (Tcolors) I live in Ohio, born and raised.  My parents were one of the first interracial marriages in our city.  From what I've heard both sides of the family were just THRILLED.  My how things have changed.  Though my parents and siblings were Baptist, I chose the Mennonite faith.  So between the Church and my parental units, my childhood was filled with homemade jams, taffy-pulls, blackberry cobblers, sweet potato pie and love.  There was a dark side to all of this but, it was outshined by the love my parents had for me and my four siblings.  I was very active in the performing arts.  I haven't had the time to do a production since I started working at Lowe's but, with the hopes of a new career that window will open to me again.  I'm 40yrs. old, I'll be 41 Sept. 5th.  I was in a 12yr. relationship but have been single for about 5yrs. ;)  I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.  Becoming a part of this forum helped me realize there is life out there.  For the longest time my favorite saying was (forgive my paraphrasing) "The proof of intelligent life out in the universe is, they haven't tried to contact us".  Now my favorite saying is 'Go tell it on the Mountain, Brokeback Mountain that is'."

Making new friends at the BBQ: (from left):  twistedboy, WLAGuy and TColors

Profile Questions:

01.  Currently listening to?  Wow, this is really a mixed bag!  My music tastes are really eclectic.  So, I'll narrow it down to who I listen to the most; Tracy Chapman, Stevie Nicks, Roy Orbison, Cyndi Lauper (Honestly you'll have to listen to Cyndi Lauper's later releases.  She started out singing Folk and has at least 1 CD out with a folk feel.)  Oh I also like Sacred Harp music.

02.  Currently reading?  I'm more a visual man!  The last book I read was Anne Rice's The Witching Hour.

03.  Biggest challenge?  Elevating my life to were I can be at peace with myself.  Then, share my life with that special someone.  There's so much in life to enjoy, and to share it with someone would make it even more wonderful.

04.  Your perfect day?  Oy, here I go again!  Getting an email from a certain someone! :D  Y'all may have noticed, you don't have to do much for me to smile.

05.  What's your indulgence?  Wow, My indulgence?  People, yeah, People.  I love meeting, talking, and sharing with people.  The stories they have to tell, their life experiences.  I do try to indulge in people.

06.  What's you inspiration?  Happiness.  This is starting to sound like a Hallmark moment, but it's true.  I spent 12yrs. of my life with everything I could have asked for, but happiness.  So that's my inspiration, well, happiness and joy that's all I need..........and this chair.  Happiness, joy, and this chair, that's all........, OK, maybe this computer with it's high speed internet connection, but that's it!  Happiness inspires more happiness.  Don't cha just wanna go hug somebody?  I do, and I did!

07.  Last major Purchase?  Plane tickets to Texas, WoooooHoooooo!, (clears throat) I mean YeeHawww!  Thank you Auntie!

08.  First job?  A host at Chi-Chi's Restaraunt.  I was 17 and didn't want to clean tables.

09.  What do you know for sure?  My headstone will read "He enjoyed his life".

10.  Favorite Movie Besides BBM?  Mmmmmmmmm, Wuthering Heights.

11.  If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?  There are some people from a Dave Cullen BBM forum waiting for you.  They told me to tell you "It's gonna be like this, just like this, always!"

12.  What brought you to the Forum?  Unknown forces, working on my behalf.  Actually I found a link from a rather vulgar gentleman at "Movie City News".  He announced this website by saying, "Now I know where all the love for Brokeback Mountain is coming from".  I left clicked and never turned back!

13.  Your favorite threads?  The Daily Sheet, Brokeback Mountain Fever, and Aunties 24hr Diner.  Oh and the Reunion Pics page.  Although I have to check out the Gray and Gay thread.  Can I still go there if I color my gray?

14.  How many times have you watched BBM?  7 times.  But, if you count the many times I let it play while I drifted off to sleep, I could say countless times.

15.  Your favorite BBM scene?  Oh God, your gonna make me choose!  Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ok, the scene at Jack's parent's house.  I just love the unspoken moments between Ennis and Jack's mother.  I thought she was awesome!  When she places her hand upon Ennis's hand as she puts the shirts in the bag. What can I say?  It got me!

Fascinating Jobs - sarah

One of our members, sarah teaches sociology at a large, state university in metropolitan New Jersey.  This semester she is teaching a course on American Violence and has assembled a three-lesson segment on Brokeback Mountain  plus a take-home essay as part of the final exam.  Later she promises to share more about the curriculum with us.

She tells us, "What inspired me to use the film in my class (actually, I'll also use it in my course on Family and Sexuality in the Spring)...firstly, teaching sociology is my passion, and I can not look at anything, hardly, without seeing how it could apply to my courses!  Hence, I have over-flowing files of newspaper clippings that talk not just about current events, but about cultural phenomena, trends in entertainment and communication -- let's face it: sociology is about everything!  I was so struck by the beauty, power,  sadness and joy of the work of art that is Brokeback Mountain, that I immediately connected it to my work (Just as years before I connected the musical Les Miz  to my course on police gang units -- there's always a tie-in with art when studying society.)  My students (a state university mainly comprised of first generation college students) are hungry for culture, and they deserve messages that have a bit more finesse and complexity than the obvious films that seem designed to teach a college course (read Crash ).  Brokeback  is so multi-layered, so forceful yet gentle, that I think it will be a wonderful vehicle for a sensitive topic -- one that admittedly many at the traditional college age, from the particular backgrounds of my students, are not completely open to; which is why they need this message so much.

The forum, which I discovered right after seeing the film last January, helped me see the rich dialogue that was possible relative to the BBM message.  I do use an on-line component in my class for certain assignments, and I just pray my students are as eloquent in recording their reactions, questions, and personal stories -- both on-line and in class -- regarding the film experience, as the posters have been in sharing their love for this movie and their lives.

I am a straight, married mom of 3 but have felt such a pull with this film that I bought Wyoming andTexas license plates from relevant years, among numerous other treasures!"

Pat's Prints

by PatSinnott

Second Day Ennis

Funny of the Day

by royandronnie

RESUME:

John Carroll Twist, Jr.
Lightning Flat, Wyoming

This summer I was a shepherd up on Brokeback.  This was an excellent opportunity for me to learn many skills which will allow me to satisfy any employer's requirements in just about any position.

• Already an accomplished rider, I can now ride hard and long for days on end.  Nights, too.  Don't get saddle-sore anymore, either.
• I know everything there is to know about herding and flocking behavior.  Learned lots of nature facts this year about the ways animals interact with each other.
• Really handy with can openers.  I'm just good generally at opening things.  Getting stuff off, too.
• I can burn anything--beans, coffee, boots, elk, spuds, you name it.  Going for my "Maitre de Cowboy Cuisine" next year.
• Very musical.  I can even play flattened harmonicas.
• Great interpersonal skills.  My co-worker agreed that I was very attentive to his wishes and also very generous with my own things.
• Highly skilled at fishing.  Can handle any pole.  Trout something of a specialty.
• Good at rolling with punches.  Found out that, in the end, I can take pretty much anything.
• Still working on my aim, but I did a lot of shooting this summer.
• What I lasso, I keep.

I hope I will get the chance to work closely with someone at your firm.

RESUME:

Ennis Del Mar
General Delivery, Riverton, WY

Shepherding.

• I ain't queer.  Just so you know.
• Real good with horses, mules ok.  Don't like Bears.
• Learned to eat soup.  Learned about condomints condements spices.
• Shot & cleaned a 450lb elk without Fish & Game catching on.
• Did a lot of hard riding.
• Not the queer kind, though.
• Expert tent-raiser.
• That wasn't a double anten enter thing that you think is sexual.
• Getting married to a woman soon.
• Learned how to talk.  (Not doing much lately.)
• Did some singing.  Like spirituals.
• Discussed religious viewpoints.
• Made a friend.  (New skill.)
• Left my damn heart shirt up there.

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

Artist in Residence:  Pat Sinnott

Contributors:  tColors, sarah, gnash, royandronnie

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:07:50 AM by BrokenOkie »

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 07:08:27 AM »
The Daily Sheet
Sept 17, 2006

Photo by BrokenOkie

I was the lucky one assigned to pick up BayCityJohn from the airport in TX for the BBQ.  I'll always be glad we had a little time to ourselves for I was able to find out what a special guy he is --- and talented at that!  John tells us:

"A lot of people assume I'm from San Francisco when they see my member name.  I wish I was.  I live in Mid-Michigan.  Bay City is 100 miles north of Detroit.  Bay City is best known as Madonna's home town.

Whenever someone asks where I'm from, I'm not sure what to say.  I grew up in the Army.  We moved every 2 years until I was 15.  I was born in New Jersey, but I don't feel like I'm 'from' there.  I can remember when we moved from Ft. Sill, Oklahoma back to New Jersey, and my cousins made fun of my 'southern' accent.  We spent 2 1/2 years in Gelnhausen, Germany from early 1964 to late 1966. Our base was close to the East German border, but as kids we didn't realize that we were on the front line of the Cold War.  Our parents didn't talk about that.  We didn't even know anything was going on in Vietnam until we moved back to the States.

After that, we lived in Pennsylvania and Maryland, stationed at Ft. Ritchie.  So by the time I got to high school I didn't have any friends.  High school didn't last very long.  I dropped out at the beginning of 10th grade.  So I have just a little more education than Ennis.  Actually, I did attend college for 3 years, and almost have an Associate's Degree.  During that period, I helped to form the Tri-City Gay Awareness Association in 1977.  I tried to publicize it on college bulletin boards, but my flyers were always taken down by the administration right away.  Our group was also told to move out of an office we rented from a non-profit agency.  They were told that they wouldn't receive any more funding from another very well known non-profit if we were allowed to stay.

I've never been able to stay in one house or apartment.  I feel the need to move every 2 or 3 years.  I've lived in West Hollywood, Minneapolis, Tampa, NYC, and the Chicago suburbs.  I always end up back in Michigan.

In the late 70's and early 80's, I had a lot of friends here.  I can remember throwing parties and having over 100 people show up.  By 1989, almost all of them were dead.  I counted all the friends that died of AIDS once, and the list was over 100.  That's a lot for a small town.  It felt like the whole world was ending.  The late 80's were very depressing for me.  I stopped socializing, and put all of my energy into my job.  I do have a small group of best friends who survived, and they are very important to me.  My mother died in 1980.  I was 23 and she was 44.

I work as an accountant at a hotel, and I also take care of all of our computers, website and internet marketing.  I was the first one to have a computer where I work, so I got stuck with being the geek.

I'm also on the board of directors for the State Theatre here.  The State was built in 1908, and renovated in 1930 by C. Howard Crane, who also designed the Fox theatres in Detroit and St. Louis.  The theatre completed a $2,000,000 renovation last year.  We're a struggling non-profit, and everyone on the board pitches in when there's work to be done.  I love this job, even though it doesn't pay anything.  Bay City doesn't have a lot of quality entertainment.  We usually have to drive to Detroit for a great show.  Our mission at the State is to bring the entertainment home.

I try to play piano.  I have a nice Kawai grand piano, and a couple of electronic keyboards.  I play for corporate events, holiday parties, etc.  I stopped playing for weddings and will not play for any until it's legal for all.

The best thing about living in Bay City is the low cost of housing.  I can afford to travel once in awhile.  I love going to Chicago, NYC, London and Amsterdam.  My favorite trip this year was the BBQ in Texas.  It was the most enjoyable experience I've had in years.  Everyone I met there seemed like a longtime friend.  I have to thank Michaelflanagansf for talking me into going.  Michael came to Bay City about a month before and told me what it was like to meet other forum members in person.  I had such a good time with him during our brief visit that I had to make time to go to Texas and see him again, and to meet everyone else.

I first saw Brokeback Mountain  back in February when my friend Maureen asked me if I wanted to go see it.  I didn't even know it was playing here.  In fact, I had no real desire to see it.  I had read a few reviews and seen the trailer online, but I was just going to wait for the DVD.  After that first time, I felt I had missed something, so I invited a friend to go see it the next day.  That started it.  I ended up seeing the movie 28 times in 3 different theatres here, and several times on DVD since.

I found the forum after reading an article about the Variety ad.  When I read that article, I thought to myself 'these are the people I want to get acquainted with'."

So here I am.

John with the "Boys" shirts – at the BBQ in August

Profile Questions:

01. Currently listening to?  Bob Dylan - Modern Times

02.  Currently reading? Military Brats: Legacies of Childhood Inside the Fortress by Mary Edwards Wertsch

03.  Biggest challenge?  Talking with strangers.

04.  Your perfect day?   That was one day back in 1975 with my Alan.

05.  What’s your indulgence? Computers, Stereo Equipment, and my keyboards. I have a synthesizer, a digital piano, and a really nice Kawai grand piano.

06.  What’s your inspiration? Music. Any kind of music, as long as it's good.

07.  Last major Purchase?  My house. Moved in just after Christmas 2006.

08.  First job?  Burger King. I handled Whoppers.

09.  What do you know for sure? The only thing I know for sure is that there is nothing I know for sure.

10.  Favorite Movie? Well, I think you know by now. BUT my second favorite movie is Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell.

11.  If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "Hey, how did you like that party in Texas"?

12.  What brought you to the Forum?  I needed to talk with someone about the movie, then I read about the Variety Ad.  I redlined it, couldn't get here fast enough.

13.  Your favorite threads?  How Brokeback affected me, photo captioning, and Auntie's 24 hour diner.

14.  How many times have you watched BBM?  28 times on the big screen, and 15 times on DVD.

15.  Your favorite BBM scene? The argument at their last meeting. I cry every time.

BayCityJohn and MichaelFlanaganSF  -  when Michael visited Michigan last summer

Photo of the Day

Our photo of the day comes from our Slash friends.  There was a bit of a discussion on this photo in the Slash Thread the other day.  Here's some of it:

blue-eyes:  "Am I the only one that finds that picture a cross between hilarious and hot... I mean who in the world really rides a motocycle with lame sandles on... just saying, why's he wearing those sandles?"

Marijke: "Maybe he's just the mechanic..." 

Lintelómiel: "Fixed your bike, Mr. Del Mar. Anything else I can do for ya?"

aliceathome: "Fill ya up?"   

Marijke: "Check your sparkplug?" 

Lintelómiel: "Pump up a flat?"   

aliceathome: "Oil change?"

Marijke: "Fix your fuel injection pump?"

aliceathome: "Polish your bodywork?"

Marijke: "Now, that's gonna be a hell of a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it!"

aliceathome: "Particularly with all that, um, oil everywhere..."

City Girl: "Lube job?"

BBM Auction

From 13-20 October, Seenon is sponsoring an auction of the wardrobe from Brokeback Mountain to include cowboy hats, boots and jeans.  Proceeds from it will benefit the Human Rights Campaign (www.hrc.org) and a letter of authenticity will be included in each sale.   Go to www.seenon.com to sign up for their newsletter and a reminder of the auction.

New Thread:  FanFair

Adrian started a new thread yesterday in the Fan Section called FanFair.  it's basically the same idea as Auntie's Diner, but, leans more toward talk about the boys, other celebrities, movies, and all – so go check it our: FanFair Thread   

Jake's Eyelashes 5 is also opening this week!

PhotoCap of the Day

by Lyle (Mooska)

Ennis:  "What's the Ennis del Mar Cocktail you just ordered me, huh?"
Jack:  "Don't worry, you'll like it, friend.  It comes with a twist."

Calendar

Forum Events

Other Events

Columnists:  PeteinPortland, , cynical21, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf

Proofreader/Researcher:  Gonzo (twistedboy), Sparky

Contributors:  Marijke, Melisande, BrokenOkie, gnash, sarah, Adrian, Mooska

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:12:40 AM by BrokenOkie »