The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What scene on BBM did you like best (other than the tent scenes)

Jack naked in the river washing clothes
16 (2.4%)
Ennis naked by the tent washing himself
39 (5.8%)
Ennis alone in the field on their last day on BBM
88 (13.2%)
Water-walking Jesus scene
44 (6.6%)
Jack smiles when Ennis talks so much and then dances around
210 (31.4%)
Jack tries to wash the blood off Ennis' face
116 (17.3%)
Ennis looks up from washing dishes and sees Jack far above
86 (12.9%)
Untangling the sheep and then Ennis telling Jack he might run them off again
41 (6.1%)
Other--post below to tell us
29 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 389

Author Topic: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain  (Read 541847 times)

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
Re: Scene: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2006, 08:09:54 AM »
Marius: the trailer is the same - but the clips from the movie is not the same as at the official site - so a visit at the French site is to recommend.
if you cannot fix it - you've gotta stand it
if you cannot stand it - you gotta fix it

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2006, 09:57:53 AM »
Marius: the trailer is the same - but the clips from the movie is not the same as at the official site - so a visit at the French site is to recommend.

Actually the trailers (French vs. official site) are quite different. The official USA version has the mean (auto mechanic?) guys added and the French site has the scenes mentioned below below but no mechanics.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 10:00:42 AM by Jack Nasty »
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 12:02:34 PM »
:)  You're very welcome!
Has wdj seen that one yet, Alex????

lol.  I'll warn him and then forward the thread to him.....

Brace yourselves!
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

:)   :(   :'(   :o    <===8   :-[   :-*   :-*   :-* Alex!!!

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2006, 12:16:03 PM »
One of the scenes that I was really moved by was when Ennis, while washing dishes in the stream, looks up and sees Jack moving among the sheep (I didn't get this until my second viewing) and at night, Jack looks down at the fire where he knows Ennis is sleeping.  They're searching for each other, making a connection, but from a safe distance where they can't be noticed or rejected by the other.  .... whatever it took to just get a glimpse of the person that means something to us, even if we don't yet know what that meaning is.
I too love this scene - not sure if you read the story as well - this scene is translated so powerfully into the visual image. I love that when you put this visual image into words you come so close to what Annie Proulx wrote in the first place:

During the day Ennis looked across a great gulf and sometimes saw Jack, a small dot moving across a high meadow as an insect moves across a tablecloth; Jack, in his dark camp, saw Ennis as night fire, a red spark on the huge black mass of mountain.

Offline Alex

• Expert
  • Love is a force of nature.
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 02:16:40 PM »
WDJ, I'm glad you liked it. 

I didn't do the collage.  I just found the pic.  I think it's perfect for this thread!
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

imennisshesjack

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 04:53:59 PM »
WOW Alex !!!  You just made my week month !!!!!   The still from the second night in the tent when Jack is holding Ennis' face in this hands and leaning in to kiss him with his mouth open is THE hottest thing I've ever seen!   This is almost too much for a married woman to take.

THANK YOU    THANK YOU   THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!

ALEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXX!
I echo Bookgirl, but you didn't make my week or month, you made my DECADE! thank you!!!!
Big smoochies to you!!!!
Now I need a cold shower. And I'm at work!

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 05:48:47 PM »
WOW Alex !!!  You just made my week month !!!!!   The still from the second night in the tent when Jack is holding Ennis' face in this hands and leaning in to kiss him with his mouth open is THE hottest thing I've ever seen!   This is almost too much for a married woman to take.

THANK YOU    THANK YOU   THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!

ALEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXX!
I echo Bookgirl, but you didn't make my week or month, you made my DECADE! thank you!!!!
Big smoochies to you!!!!
Now I need a cold shower. And I'm at work!

I'll scrub your back for you?  ;)
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline muse

• Feet Wet
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 06:35:27 PM »
re. the Ying/yang with black vs light colored hats - the clothes they wear also is similar, Jack wears darker/deeper colors and Ennis wears lighter colors.  I read somewhere this matches their personalities also.

yeah, that makes sense. ennis is more of a blank slate. and a bit faded. while jack's colors cut a bolder sillhouette. jack also seems more stylish to me and more concerned with his appearance (the shaving in the parking lot, the shiny belt buckle, the ornate wedding rings later on).
"...in a slow-motion, but headlong, irreversible fall."

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 06:38:46 PM »
re. the Ying/yang with black vs light colored hats - the clothes they wear also is similar, Jack wears darker/deeper colors and Ennis wears lighter colors.  I read somewhere this matches their personalities also.

yeah, that makes sense. ennis is more of a blank slate. and a bit faded. while jack's colors cut a bolder sillhouette. jack also seems more stylish to me and more concerned with his appearance (the shaving in the parking lot, the shiny belt buckle, the ornate wedding rings later on).

I agree..Ennis wants to fade away basically...lite colors so not to attract ANY attention...

Todd
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

kumari

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 09:50:02 PM »
I have to admit, it took a second viewing for me to fully appreciate the first part of the movie.
I don't really like the outdoors, I know, I know. But hey, I talk to you guys everyday at this point, so I may as well be honest about some of my shallow shortcomings.  :P
When Ranchgirl was talking about the types of horses they used, I was fascinated! I know nothing about such things.
So I just didn't really respond to the simpler scenes at first.
But the second time I saw it, I paid more attention instead of just waiting for the flirting and sex to begin.
When Ennis tells Jack, "You'll run them sheep off again if you don't quiet down," he seems in such a good mood, and he's smiling. You can't help but smile yourself at his gentle teasing.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2006, 09:18:03 AM »
I have to admit, it took a second viewing for me to fully appreciate the first part of the movie.
I don't really like the outdoors, I know, I know. But hey, I talk to you guys everyday at this point, so I may as well be honest about some of my shallow shortcomings.  :P
When Ranchgirl was talking about the types of horses they used, I was fascinated! I know nothing about such things.
So I just didn't really respond to the simpler scenes at first.
But the second time I saw it, I paid more attention instead of just waiting for the flirting and sex to begin.
When Ennis tells Jack, "You'll run them sheep off again if you don't quiet down," he seems in such a good mood, and he's smiling. You can't help but smile yourself at his gentle teasing.

Yes...that moment is priceless...Ennis is home...alive and free...synge's my heart....

Todd

"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2006, 02:20:19 PM »

Okay, since we're talking color here - what about red clothing?  As I recall Lureen wears read when she and Jack meet - and when Jack reunites with Ennis after 4 years he's wearing red as well.  Is this fashion - or is there a comment here?  That they're 'hot' or perhaps they are attempting to draw attention or be the 'target'?
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline muse

• Feet Wet
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2006, 08:34:43 PM »

Okay, since we're talking color here - what about red clothing?  As I recall Lureen wears read when she and Jack meet - and when Jack reunites with Ennis after 4 years he's wearing red as well.  Is this fashion - or is there a comment here?  That they're 'hot' or perhaps they are attempting to draw attention or be the 'target'?

i think the common link between jack and lureen is definitely thier mutual love of showmanship and their flashy nature. this could explain the choice of red in both of their wardrobes, or perhaps it does go deeper. i do think the desire for attention is refelcted in both of their overall looks.
"...in a slow-motion, but headlong, irreversible fall."

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2006, 09:08:17 PM »

Same for me, Kumari. Obviously, Jack and Ennis cannot come together and fall in love without any context. These scenes on BBM (and learning their back story) allow us to believe in the intensity and power of this 20 year relationship.

Offline justmeincal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2006, 12:43:41 PM »

Actually the trailers (French vs. official site) are quite different. The official USA version has the mean (auto mechanic?) guys added and the French site has the scenes mentioned below below but no mechanics.

Does anyone know of a way to save copies of the French trailers to your computer?
Steve