The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What scene on BBM did you like best (other than the tent scenes)

Jack naked in the river washing clothes
16 (2.4%)
Ennis naked by the tent washing himself
39 (5.8%)
Ennis alone in the field on their last day on BBM
88 (13.2%)
Water-walking Jesus scene
44 (6.6%)
Jack smiles when Ennis talks so much and then dances around
210 (31.4%)
Jack tries to wash the blood off Ennis' face
116 (17.3%)
Ennis looks up from washing dishes and sees Jack far above
86 (12.9%)
Untangling the sheep and then Ennis telling Jack he might run them off again
41 (6.1%)
Other--post below to tell us
29 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 389

Author Topic: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain  (Read 544471 times)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
Re: Scenes on Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1920 on: October 25, 2018, 11:11:25 PM »
Brokeback Mountain is the only place where Ennis and Jack could really be themselves, well, outside in a secluded part of nature were the only places that they could be themselves.  Its just too bad that damned harmonica was invited on the their various fishing trips, LOL.

Offline rmperalta

• Feet Wet
« Reply #1921 on: May 20, 2021, 01:51:18 AM »
Hi! I'm not able to post in the symbols thread but I just have to share something:

I read in another forum that the rodeo metaphors are a big part of the relationship (duh) from "For as long as we can ride it. There ain't no reins on this one."

Then there's Jack trying (always, always trying) to be a good cowboy, be a rodeo star, not have the mare with a low startle point (Ennis) throw him off.

Then there's Ennis saying on the last day that "This ain't no rodeo" because he feels deeply about Jack (even if he doesn't know it yet. Could also be him saying he wanted to ~ride~ longer if you catch my drift.

Then there's this one I noticed:

Ennis, for a number of times, is indifferent about the whole rodeo thing (indifference to Jack). Then later on he opens up and says there's no point to riding a piece of stock for 8 seconds. Symbolizing/marking the beginning of his interest in Jack and success in unlocking a part of himself at least to this one special person.

The 8-second remark could be a foreshadowing of how short their relationship would be. How many times society would try to shove them off. And how Jack, being himself, would try to keep his seat.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1922 on: May 20, 2021, 02:33:41 AM »

That's a really good point.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1923 on: May 20, 2021, 05:31:04 AM »
^^^ ditto. 

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1924 on: May 20, 2021, 08:02:22 AM »
Very good point,  rmperalta, and welcome to the forum!

Offline rmperalta

• Feet Wet
« Reply #1925 on: May 22, 2021, 08:45:45 AM »
Hmm - I think he probably is, although he may not be aware of doing it. I mean, "Balls big as apples".... ;) But Jack is SO aware of him while he's washing, even though he dare not look at Ennis - his uneven breathing, the little swallow he makes, the faint flush on his cheeks... I love it too.

And now I look at it again (first time for months), when Jack is complaining about being away in the pup tent in I think he's quite taken aback by Ennis's offering to swap with him. And disappointed too - not what he had in mind. Whether he had any definite plans for a night with Ennis I don't know though.

Oh this scene!!! the discussion on 'balls' and then the cigarette in Jack's mouth, and a knife and potato in his hand. And all the little nuances...the swallowing, moving the cigarette around...takes me back to the start of my own relationship like when you could practically knock your head onto the solid-as-a-brick-wall TENSION!

Offline rmperalta

• Feet Wet
« Reply #1926 on: May 22, 2021, 08:48:43 AM »

Do you think that when Ennis emerged from the relative safety and warmth of the tent...bringing to mind the warmth and safety of Brokeback they had found..... and into the unexpected icy....biting cold  world on that morning....it was depicting  the cold unfriendly world he was all to soon having to go back to....and the " worse storm coming" really meant to depict their four years apart and all the misery the next 20 years would bring ??

( didn't know where to put this. Elements ansd Themes....just didn't seem to fit  :) )

Oh yes was just thinking about this today! And how during the last trip, the night before the fight, it's Jack who says that it looks like it's going to snow, they're always in the cold, etc. They're always out in the cold (outside society) and the snowstorm means bad things for what they have been trying to build, both in 1963 and the decades after.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1927 on: May 22, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
Oh this scene!!! the discussion on 'balls' and then the cigarette in Jack's mouth, and a knife and potato in his hand. And all the little nuances...the swallowing, moving the cigarette around...takes me back to the start of my own relationship like when you could practically knock your head onto the solid-as-a-brick-wall TENSION!

Tension thick enough to cut with a knife!

Offline rmperalta

• Feet Wet
« Reply #1928 on: May 28, 2021, 07:02:29 AM »

Tension thick enough to cut with a knife!

I see what you did there  ;)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1929 on: May 28, 2021, 02:51:34 PM »
;)  :laugh:

I see what you did there  ;)

So which scenes were your favorite ones?

Offline rmperalta

• Feet Wet
« Reply #1930 on: May 31, 2021, 12:29:39 AM »
;)  :laugh:

So which scenes were your favorite ones?

If I had to pick just three, my favorites would be:
> The reunion kiss. Like, I could watch that forever and ever on loop.
> The second night in the tent (SNIT). Like, I feel my heart just grow internal fireworks just shoot off like omg <3
> The closet scene in Jack's room. I was debating whether to put this coz it's so sad and I hate seeing Ennis all alone - so much more alone now than ever - but it just has so many feels I can't not pick it!!!

I also love anytime Jack is vulnerable, weighing if he should put himself out there at the risk of startling Ennis, but also knowing that while he can and has taken the lead in the relationship, it takes two to tango. Jake/Jack saying he might be back the next year, making conversation with Ennis, saying "Anything interesting up there in heaven?....It could be like this, just like this..." (and Heath/Ennis' smile here awwwww), the post-divorce scene, saying he misses Ennis so much he can't stand it (he's telling Ennis he wants to FIX IT COZ HE CAN'T STAND IT!!!! BUT ENNIS JUST LOOKS ON!!!!  :'()

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1931 on: May 31, 2021, 07:13:40 AM »
The reunion kiss is my favorite as well.   That kiss was 4 years in the making.  ;D

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1932 on: March 12, 2022, 04:55:04 PM »
I don't really HAVE a favorite scene in the film, if I had to pick one it would be the scene on the mountaintop where they say it's "nobody's business but theirs"........I LOVE that scene........soooooo revealing.......

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1933 on: March 16, 2022, 01:30:47 PM »
Yes, that is a great scene!  That was actually one of the spots I visited when I did the tour of the filming location.  View is fantastic.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1934 on: March 17, 2022, 06:15:03 PM »
^^^ That is undoubtedly one of the most cinematic, beautiful and inspiring shots in the film!  Just the ruggedness rocks jutting out of the landscape, then the views into the horizon.  And do not overlook, the camera "looking over Ennis's shoulder"... another reinforcement of his fears and confinements. 

This is the shot -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-C_I-ZhRI

V.