The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Most Anticipated Next Film  (Read 770039 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Most Anticipated Next Film
« Reply #3405 on: October 30, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »
Same here, Jeff. But I watched it anyway. I was considered a rebel. It's no wonder I didn't make it in the convent.
;)  8)   :o   ;D

A young woman, a devout Catholic, who used to work where I work, quit her job and went off to somewhere in Kentucky to be a nun. A few weeks ago I found her singing in my Episcopal church choir (a paid position but not enough to live on). She told me that becoming a nun "didn't work out." I did not ask why. I'm guessing she may have had trouble with the "obedience" part.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3406 on: October 30, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
I reread my post, and I really wasn't clear. The nuns told the students that the students were not to see the film, I presume because Hepburn's character has difficulty with her vow of obedience, and, even worse, in the end gets a dispensation from her vows and gives up being a nun.

These would be good reasons for prohibiting the nuns from seeing it, too. I guess it might have given them ideas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nun%27s_Story_(film)

I always find it interesting that most (or all!) religions don't want their followers to get any notions that go against their teachings.
It makes me look at them as though they have no confidence in their beliefs, teachings, etc. if someone could come along with a
movie, or even a joke, and their whole world would fall apart because of it. Wouldn't you want the convictions of your religion or
spirituality to be strong enough to withstand these tests instead of keeping yourself hidden away from any and every contradiction?

Scientology (which I don't even consider a religion) is the worst.  They are constantly disavowing every person or little idea that shows
them in a negative light, yet are completely hidden in their inner sanctums. Spirituality is NOT confining. It's all embracing, all encompassing.
If nothing is wrong with Scientology they should not be so afraid of sharing it with everyone instead of recruiting people into their cultish
environs.

So, the idea of nun's not being able to see The Nun's Story is very strange to me.  Not everyone is called to be a nun, so a story about that
shouldn't harm those who already are.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3407 on: October 30, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
So, the idea of nun's not being able to see The Nun's Story is very strange to me.  Not everyone is called to be a nun, so a story about that
shouldn't harm those who already are.

I get it. It might inspire nuns to think for themselves. I'm sure Rome wouldn't have wanted that.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3408 on: October 30, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
Linda, we would have made such great nuns!

Yes we would have, Elena!! ;D
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3409 on: October 30, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
I reread my post, and I really wasn't clear. The nuns told the students that the students were not to see the film, I presume because Hepburn's character has difficulty with her vow of obedience, and, even worse, in the end gets a dispensation from her vows and gives up being a nun. There is also an atheist character in the story.

These would be good reasons for prohibiting the nuns from seeing it, too. I guess it might have given them ideas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nun%27s_Story_(film)

That was my big issue, Jeff. The obedience part.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3410 on: November 02, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »
I'm kind of curious as to how the theatrical re-release of Steven Spielberg's film "Schindler's List" (1993) will do at the box office.  I feel that the themes and elements in the film today are just as relevant as they were 25 years ago when the film's original theatrical release took place.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3411 on: November 02, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
In regards to "The Nun's Story", I think I saw it years ago.  If Roman Catholic nuns find that movie offensive, what would they think of Warn Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema's horror film "The Nun" (2018), the fifth installment in "The Conjuring" (2013-) film series? Nuns in most theatrical films like "The Singing Nun", "The Trouble with Angels" , "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows", "Sister Act" (1992) and "Sister Act 2:  Back in the Habit" are portrayed as being these strict and comical figures whom seem to have secret troubles that they don't express to anyone else.  You don't see a whole lot of films about them doubting their religious calling as much.  I've heard of some French theatrical films based on a novel called "The Nun" about a young woman who is forced against her will by her mother to become a nun to atone for her mother's "sins" for having conceived her out of a non-marital sexual relationship and fights to be dismissed from the monastic culture that she is imprisoned in.  There is that film "The Magdalene Sisters" (2002) about four young women in Ireland who are considered to be "immoral" and "fallen", which results in them being forced by their families and by society to work in the Magdalene Asylum institutions (the Magdalene Laundries) where they are abused by the nuns who run the facilities.  I have never seen the movie, but I have heard that it is very good.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3412 on: December 15, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
Saw previews today for this one and it really held my attention.  I've been able to get tickets for on 12/17 and 12/27 as those are the only 2 days it's showing. 
LAT ->  https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-they-shall-not-grow-old-review-20181215-story.html
Ebert's site -> https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/they-shall-not-grow-old-2018
Rotten -> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/they_shall_not_grow_old

V.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #3413 on: December 15, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »
 I saw this on November 11 Remembrance Day, the day it opened in New Zealand.  It was excellent.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #3414 on: December 16, 2018, 01:26:48 PM »
^^^ I've not heard anything other than glowing about this film.  !!!  TY! V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3415 on: December 16, 2018, 05:59:01 PM »
I was hoping some day to see Mary, Queen of Scots, but in an article about the film that I read in Friday morning's newspaper Margot Robbie made such a stupid remark that now I'm not so sure. She said that Elizabeth I did not want to be Queen. If that's her own ill-informed opinion, that's one thing. If that's the way the part is written, that's another.

And if so, the screenwriters should be sent to the Tower. ...

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3416 on: January 03, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
I wonder how many in here will be anxious to see Armie in the RBG film, On the Basis of Sex?? I think I will......

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #3417 on: January 03, 2019, 05:04:20 PM »
^^^^^  Just dying for it to show up.  Looks like it will be like BBM.  Opened late in 2005, took about 2-3 weeks to show up here..  Fandango says it will be at least 1/9 before it shows up in 1 theater.  :o   V.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #3418 on: January 03, 2019, 05:18:07 PM »
I wonder how many in here will be anxious to see Armie in the RBG film, On the Basis of Sex?? I think I will......

Mi tu.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3419 on: January 04, 2019, 11:02:18 AM »

I saw that on December 9th!  I liked it.