The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Most Anticipated Next Film  (Read 761402 times)

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
Re: Your Most Anticipated Next Film
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 09:10:59 PM »
Zodiac is definitely in the list -mostly because I've heard so much about it (well, and Jake of course)

Also looking forward to:

Don't Come Knocking (Wim Wenders)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (if nothing else to see Keith Richards play Johnny Depp’s dad)

All the Kings Men

Pink Panther

But you're ready to take back that last one. hahaha.

Will be interesting to see these come out, and see what lives up to expectations, what crashes and burns.

I haven't seen anything from Wim since Until The End of the World, which didn't do a whole lot for me. (In fact, I can't bemember it clearly.) Has he been making films steadily?

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 10:48:21 PM »

Pink Panther

Yeah - I haven't bothered to go see it even.  My sister saw it and said 'eh'  The original is going to be on my local PBS station this weekend so I think I'll make do with that

As for Wim - I'm not sure but what else he's been up to recently but I loved Wings of Desire so much I try to see all of his films, but I'm not always able to.
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline sunspot

• Obsessed
  • Stay behind my aura!
    • The gun is good!
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 01:25:00 AM »

As for Wim - I'm not sure but what else he's been up to recently but I loved Wings of Desire so much I try to see all of his films, but I'm not always able to.

I loved Wings of Desire the first time I saw it - thought it was one of the greatest films I'd ever seen.  Saw it again a few years later and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I'd liked about it the first time around.

Saw his Until The End of the World when it came out - between my screenings of Wings of Desire - and thought it was a mess.  An interesting mess, but a mess.  Also saw it a second in 1999 and thought it was great, better than the first time around, even given that none of its "predictions" had come true.  Go figure!

My most anticipated film is the rumored Dusty Springfield biopic starring Charliez Theron that Ang Lee is supposedly going to direct.  Here's hoping they can get Jake Gyllenhaal to play her (gay) brother Tom.

"We are all hopelessly oppressed cowards
Of some duality
And restless multiplicity"
 - Joni Mitchell, "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter"

Offline Radha

• Experienced
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 07:03:06 AM »
The Front Runner which is in development

This one sounds like it will be good. Do you know if anyone is cast already? I read the book and it really is great...I just hope against hope it does not have Brad Pitt in it.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 11:09:10 AM »
I loved Wings of Desire the first time I saw it - thought it was one of the greatest films I'd ever seen.  Saw it again a few years later and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I'd liked about it the first time around.

Well Wings felt interminable for me for the first (90?) minutes, but it was all worth it for the last 30. (We should prolly avoid major spoilers.)

The contrast was so remarkable, but I think once you've experienced that once, a second time would not do so much for you.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 11:10:20 AM »

That should have been BET, not but. Sorry. "But" would have been pretty presumptuous.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 11:13:25 AM »
The Front Runner which is in development

This one sounds like it will be good. Do you know if anyone is cast already? I read the book and it really is great...I just hope against hope it does not have Brad Pitt in it.

Last I heard--which was Dec--no cast.

It has been "in development" for years. (A decade or more?)

The author had a note on her website shortly after brokeback came out responding to all the sudden attention her book was getting--and the sadness from some who had been hoping for years that hers would be the first Big Gay Movie in America. She said she was glad to see bbm doing so well. and that the problem with hers for a long time had been that by nature, it would be expensive to do right, and no one would sink a lot of money into a gay film. but maybe that will change.

Offline Love

• Feet Wet
  • Only Love is real...
Re: Most Anticipated Next Film
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2006, 03:35:04 PM »
Capote - Like Philip Seymour Hoffman and would like to be impressed by his performance again. Excellent review from Metacritic.

They are wrapped in a closeness that satisfies some shared and sexless hunger, that is not really sleep but something else drowsy and tranced...

desertstarlover

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2006, 12:11:42 AM »
"Da Vinci Code", hope it rocks!

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2006, 09:24:14 PM »
Won't it be nice to get past the film dreg months of Jan/Feb, when the studios quit dumping their worst crap, and there actually ARE anticipated films entering theaters again.

When is the first good one due?

Offline kcwin

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2006, 05:38:15 PM »
I am looking forward to "V for Vendetta"! And it's coming out in March 17th. Stephen Fry is in it.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 12:46:34 AM »
I'm looking forward to "Shut Yer Dirty Little Mouth" based on the lives of two (ahem) gentlemen who lived here in S.F. and used to get in knock down, drag out fights - so loud that some of their punk neighbors began taping them - the tapes became cult items around town.  It should be...interesting.  [And about as far from BBM as possible, I admit!]

It's showing now at the Roxie in town - I'll probably go see it on Wed.

Oh - here's the website:

http://www.shutyerdirtylittlemouth.com/

And no, I'm not affiliated with it - just interested.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 11:29:28 AM »
I am looking forward to "V for Vendetta"! And it's coming out in March 17th. Stephen Fry is in it.

Isn't that also the Wachowski Brothers, their first since the Matrix sequels?

Could be cool. (Their Bound is also a favorite of mine.)

But what's with the awful title?

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 11:44:31 AM »
Boxofficemojo has a release schedule for the next couple months here:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?release=theatrical&view=bydate&p=.htm

I don't recognize any of the upcoming titles--except ghastly sequels--but then I don't always know of the title well in advance. Anybody see anything good on the horizon?

(I'll add that link to the first post, for easy reference.)

Unfortunately, the chart doesn't list director, but it does include actors, if they are famous enough.

A few possibles:

Winter Passing -- possible, except it's got Will Ferrell in it
Don't Come Knocking -- a Sam Shepard film, which he's also in, along with his amazing wife
Thank You For Smoking
Drawing Restraint 9 -- stars bjork and is from IFC, labelled fantasy. i'd watch almost anything with bjork, even that lars von trier film

then if you click on the bottom right, you can get more of april,  and on month to month.

in April:

A comedy called American Dreamz with Dennis Quaid, Willem Dafoe, Hugh Grant. hmmm. maybe. or maybe horribly not.

in May:

Down in the Valley from ThinkFilm starring Edward Norton & Evan Rachel Wood -- I love both of them. good pedigree. and i know that name. what is it?

oh, and Strangers With Candy, finally has a release date, June 28.

And a documentary on Leonard Cohen, "I'm Your Man." Nice.

cyoung

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 05:31:39 PM »
I don't recognize any of the upcoming titles--except ghastly sequels--but then I don't always know of the title well in advance. Anybody see anything good on the horizon?

"The Libertine," starring Johnny Depp and John Malkovich, is FINALLY getting wide release on March 10. Reviews have been mixed, but I ignore most reviews anyway.  :D I'll go see any movie at least once if Johnny Depp is in it.

Cara