The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Most Anticipated Next Film  (Read 761393 times)

Offline jpq716

• Expert
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
Re: Most Anticipated Next Film
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2006, 06:14:13 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing The Libertine for three reasons. The first is because it stars Johnny Depp, an actor in Heath Ledger's class. The second is because it co-stars the awesome John Malkovich. And the third is because it is about one of the most remarkable individuals in the history of English Literature, John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester. Here is the Wikipedia entry on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wilmot
Albert Camus: "In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2006, 06:50:45 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing The Libertine for three reasons. The first is because it stars Johnny Depp, an actor in Heath Ledger's class. The second is because it co-stars the awesome John Malkovich. And the third is because it is about one of the most remarkable individuals in the history of English Literature, John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester. Here is the Wikipedia entry on him:

the wiki entry is interesting. much of it true? (the rule of thumb with wiki seems to be about half true, half all wrong.)

i had heard mostly bad things about it, but now i'm getting more interested.

Offline jpq716

• Expert
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2006, 07:28:38 PM »
The Earl of Rochester's work is of great relevance to the concerns of this forum:

http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-818693-2?view=sales

A minor sample of his work...

Upon his Drinking a Bowl

Vulcan, contrive me such a cup
As Nestor used of old;
Show all thy skill to trim it up,
Damask it round with gold.

Make it so large that, filled with sack
Up to the swelling brim,
Vast toasts on the delicious lake
Like ships at sea may swim.

Engrave not battle on its cheek:
With war I've nought to do;
I'm none of those that took Maastricht,
Nor Yarmouth leaguer knew.

Let it no name of planets tell,
Fixed stars, or constellations;
For I am no Sir Sidrophel,
Nor none of his relations.

But carve theron a spreading vine,
Then add two lovely boys;
Their limbs in amorous folds intwine,
The type of future joys.

Cupid and Bacchus my saints are,
May drink and love still reign,
With wine I wash away my cares,
And then to cunt again.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:34:08 PM by jpq716 »
Albert Camus: "In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

Offline dog.day.king

• Feet Wet
    • Bravoman
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2006, 11:16:55 PM »
I'll start. Terrance Malick's The New World.

I have loved every one of his first three films, and the subject sounds intriguing.

And I think Colliin Farrell is incredibly under-rated. (And incredibly hot.)

The New World is awesome!!

A poem from start to finish. It has an authenticity to it, even though it is romanticized. The Native American depiction is riviting.

It is not for anyone who gets bored easily. I don't like action movies. I love a slow paced film if it's well made. Most BBM fans would like New World.

I regret that I saw it on the very last possible day here. I'm hoping it'll come back at the cheap theaters. I'd see it again, but not as many times as BBM.
"Jack in his dark camp, saw Ennis as night fire, a red spark on the black mass of mountain.”

Offline sunspot

• Obsessed
  • Stay behind my aura!
    • The gun is good!
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2006, 11:35:28 PM »

I don't recognize any of the upcoming titles--except ghastly sequels--but then I don't always know of the title well in advance. Anybody see anything good on the horizon?

• Thank You For Smoking

Thank You For Smoking could be great.  I read the novel back in '95 or so  It's a delightfully over-the-top send-up of Washington D.C. lobbyists and the tobacco industry.  Timely, in the wake of the recent scandals.  William F. Buckley's son wrote it, IIRC.

"We are all hopelessly oppressed cowards
Of some duality
And restless multiplicity"
 - Joni Mitchell, "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter"

Offline lucian

• Membership_deactivated
  • Experienced
  • Il Conte di Canon
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2006, 05:08:36 PM »
I'll start. Terrance Malick's The New World.

I have loved every one of his first three films, and the subject sounds intriguing.

And I think Colliin Farrell is incredibly under-rated. (And incredibly hot.)

The New World is awesome!!

A poem from start to finish. It has an authenticity to it, even though it is romanticized. The Native American depiction is riviting.

It is not for anyone who gets bored easily. I don't like action movies. I love a slow paced film if it's well made. Most BBM fans would like New World.

I regret that I saw it on the very last possible day here. I'm hoping it'll come back at the cheap theaters. I'd see it again, but not as many times as BBM.

Yes, I'd have to agree. People at the showing here I think thought it was going to be a Colin Farrell action movie or something. They groaned in relief when it was over. 

I loved it though. As you say more like a poem or a meditation on that time and place. Colin is totally hot in this and does a pretty good job, but the part seems underwrittten. He mostly just makes googely eyes at Q'Orianka Kilcher.  If he was making googely eyes at me, I guess I would find it more interesting.  :)

Like Brokeback, not that much happens. I like character driven stuff as well so this was great for me. The visuals and music were inspiring.

This movie has been off the rader in terms of awards unfortunately.

Offline lucian

• Membership_deactivated
  • Experienced
  • Il Conte di Canon
Re: Your Most Anticipated Next Film
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2006, 05:12:45 PM »
Zodiac w/ Jake; The Front Runner which is in development; The Billy Bean story which is in development for (either Showtime or HBO);
the Robert Kennedy movie; also another movie (name escapes me) about football (rugby) players w/ at least one player who comes out.....
othes too.

Rich (Chicago)

Hasn't the Frontrunner been in development for about 30 years now?  Is there really something happening on this now?  It's a bit of a melodrama, but would make a cool movie. Probably a popular one as well.  I just want a movie where both and the guys at live at the end, maybe no Happily-Ever-After, but breathing.  Don't think that is too much to ask!  LOL

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
Re: Your Most Anticipated Next Film
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2006, 08:22:56 PM »
Zodiac w/ Jake; The Front Runner which is in development; The Billy Bean story which is in development for (either Showtime or HBO);
the Robert Kennedy movie; also another movie (name escapes me) about football (rugby) players w/ at least one player who comes out.....
othes too.

Rich (Chicago)

Hasn't the Frontrunner been in development for about 30 years now?  Is there really something happening on this now?  It's a bit of a melodrama, but would make a cool movie. Probably a popular one as well.  I just want a movie where both and the guys at live at the end, maybe no Happily-Ever-After, but breathing.  Don't think that is too much to ask!  LOL

Indeed, it has. Published in 1974, the film rights were first optioned in 1975 as a vehicle for Paul Newman to produce.

http://www.thefrontrunnermovie.com/home.htm
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2006, 09:38:34 PM »

the wiki entry is interesting. much of it true? (the rule of thumb with wiki seems to be about half true, half all wrong.)

{Adjusts librarian's bun} You know, that's probably true for modern entries, but wiki is generally pretty good for things from the dim past that there isn't a lot of controversy about.  The rule I use is to check it then verify against other references sources.  Here's what the Columbia Encyclopedia says (it's a much more brief entry):

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Edition 6, 2000 p32953
Rochester, John Wilmot, 2d earl of.
Full Text: COPYRIGHT 2000 Columbia University Press
Rochester, John Wilmot, 2d earl of, 1647-80, English poet and courtier, b. Ditchley, Oxfordshire. Most notorious and dissolute of the Restoration rakes, he lost the favor of Charles II on several occasions because of his recklessness. His most celebrated poem is his Satyr Against Mankind (1675). Although his poetry is primarily characterized by its wit, its polish, and its licentiousness, an undercurrent of piety runs through much of his work. In the last years of his life, Rochester underwent a religious conversion.

Actually the movie sounds interesting to me - hopefully they won't do a hack job on his life like they did on the Divine Marquis in 'Quills'.  BTW in that film the Joaquin Phoenix character was, in real life, a 4 foot tall hunchback...talk about taking liberties with a character.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

cyoung

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2006, 10:06:16 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing The Libertine for three reasons. The first is because it stars Johnny Depp, an actor in Heath Ledger's class.

They actually remind me a lot of each other (both very bright, reserved, somewhat shy & awkward in real life) except that Depp has a more androgynous persona and has done more delightfully "weird" stuff.

The second is because it co-stars the awesome John Malkovich. And the third is because it is about one of the most remarkable individuals in the history of English Literature, John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester. Here is the Wikipedia entry on him:

Right up my alley.  ;) I love literature (got my B.A. in English, concentration in British Lit.), I adore Johnny Depp, and I think John Malkovich is great.

Cara

Offline SquallCloud

• Austin and Jake Fan
  • Obsessed
  • We did the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
    • Bedroom Behavior: The Friction In Their Jeans (My Fic)
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2006, 11:44:58 PM »
I need to see "Why We Fight" and Dave Chapelles's "Block Party" which is coming out on Friday. My friends are going to see the latter squad deep. Atl least 5 friends of my sister's and 3 of mine want to go.

I'm also gonna see V for Vendetta. 'Bout time it came out. Of course Zodiac whenever it comes out... shit their still doing principal photography 6 months later... oi.

Offline pylon101

• Experienced
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2006, 12:41:04 AM »
I agree with Dave.

Colin Farrell is a great actor.

His acting in the "Home at the End of the World" is breathtaking. I watched it on cable for 3 times in 3 days.

Well, Cunningham's novel is great in the first instance.

Thanks to Michael Cunningham we had "The Hours" in 2003 and "Home at the End of World" in 2004. And 2005 was enlightened by BBM.
All these movies are great.

As to Oliver Stone's "Alexander" it appeared that Stone had a problem with the American viewers. And the viewers probably had issues with...whatever!
Worldwide the movie was very popular. A very rare movie in terms of interpretation of historical events and characters. Unlike "Troy" and "Gladiator"

I just wish Farrell had better scripts. He needs his Ang Lee.
Nick
Moscow, Russia /
Alexandria, VA

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2006, 05:46:25 AM »
Speaking of Colin, isn't he in The Assassination of Jesse James with Brad Pitt? That movie I do want to see!

Offline sandyday

• Experienced
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2006, 10:05:56 PM »
most anticipated next films:
i would like to see heath and jake star in a movie about reporters who discover corruption.

i would also like to see john hughes continue his breakfast club fame (whatever happened to the guy?) and cast jake and heath in something.

finally, i'd like to see jake and heath in a movie about factory work and unionizing.

i hope this was the right thread. if not, you can punish me.

Offline fishinbuddy

• Experienced
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2006, 08:43:10 PM »
Colin Farrell is a great actor.

His acting in the "Home at the End of the World" is breathtaking. I watched it on cable for 3 times in 3 days.

Well, Cunningham's novel is great in the first instance.

Yep, I don't normally like Colin and I'm afraid I don't share you're view of him as a great actor yet (I have a thing about folks who seem stuck on themselves which prejudices me against him), BUT he did do an enthralling job in Home at the End of the World, which was as you say a great novel.

I am looking forward to X3, which comes out on my birthday. After having read x-men since they began in the '60's, I was thrilled when the first movie came out and very pleased that it was so good, as was the second (different standard here; just looking for entertainment and to see the characters scome to life in a decent rendition).

There really aren't many movies I see, maybe one sometimes two a year, BBM is a rare exception and the best one.
When I feel that lonesome prairie wind, I let my soul get back to you again...I will never let you, I will never let you, I will NEVER let you go!