The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 615916 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #240 on: January 23, 2006, 05:05:12 PM »
Probably off-topic this but I would just like to have something clarified for me regarding the assessing of the sexual orientation of the audiences out there gathering to see BBM: how can it be so easy for people to instantly tell whether the men coming to see the film are gay? Are they dressing/acting in a way as to make it that much more likely? See, I always thought that the vast majority of gays are like, well, Jack and Ennis, in the sense that a stranger really couldnīt make any assumptions about their sexual identity. Yet here many keep casually mentioning how a particular audience was either full of gays or a mixed crowd or consisting mostly of straight people etc..  Iīm sorry if this seems a bit of a stupid question, but Iīm just really curious as to how it can be so easy to tell and wheter it is based on outward appearance or behaviour?

There really are no stupid questions and this one is really thought provoking, especially for me ???

I got to thinking about what you asked and as a straight woman having seen the movie 7X, I cannot honestly say how I know. I like to observe people. Is is a sense? I honestly don't know. Do other people observe me as being a lesbian as I am female and mostly go the movie by myself. That may be.

Some men are obvious couples...some women are obvious couples. I see the same body language toward each other as I see between hetero couples, so that may be part of it. Do I assume a single male who comes to the movie by himself is gay...I guess I do and may well be mistaken in that assumption, just as people may make an incorrect assumption about me.

It is something I am going to think about, and if I come to some different conclusions I will get back with you.

This may be a topic to be discussed in the anything gay - anything bi topic. Here's the link

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

sherryfair

« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2006, 06:37:54 PM »
Well, my mother finally persuaded my 70-year-old father to see "Brokeback Mountain" with her. So as not to disturb my father's football-viewing habits, they went today, to a Monday 1:30 p.m. matinee. They report only six or seven other people in the theater with them. (This was in a theater where the movie just opened with this past Friday's expansion, and of course, on a working day.) They saw the movie in upstate NY, about 20 minutes northwest of Syracuse, in what I'd call a fairly conservative area. My mother reports that she and my father liked the movie, and that my mother herself cried a little while watching it. My father "felt sorry for the light-haired guy [Ennis]." Since you don't know my family, this will mean little to you, but I should say that my father's fairly socially conservative, though a long-time Democratic voter, in the old, ethnic, blue-collar tradition. (I am their odd, "artsy" daughter who wrote poetry & moved down near Manhattan as soon as she could.) What I would say for Focus Features is that, if you have my father attending & approving of this movie -- true, after much concerted effort on the part of his wife & daughter ;) -- then you are beginning to truly reach an untapped market.

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2006, 06:47:36 PM »
There were some idiots in the Ohio theater where I saw it, something I wrote about here:

BobcatJH, I have written to MSNBC, the loser Don Imus and the other bigot Chris Mathews. How stupid are they? MSNBC is owned by NBC (General Electric). NBC/General Electric owns much of Universal Pictures, parent compoany of Focus Features. And the goddam Washington Post, I wrote them as well for their tasteless gay hating comic strip regarding BBM. thanks for keeping us in the know.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 06:53:10 PM by Pug »
To err is human, to forgive is canine

Offline M. Alexander

• Feet Wet
« Reply #243 on: January 23, 2006, 07:12:42 PM »
Brokeback friends,

It is so good to write here with you all again. What a wonderful forum we have here! Thank you, Dave. (And good job last night, by the way.) I just wanted to report here that my 78 year old Republican mother went on her on volition to BBM this week-end in Florida where she is at the moment. She went with another female friend (don't know her politics..) but the reaction - to my utter joy - was totally positive. My mom told me yesterday on the phone that she found the movie: "Wonderful. Great acting. Beautiful to see and a beautiful story". I was just thrilled. We talked for some 20 minutes and most it concerned Brokeback. What a keen observer she was! I asked her: did you get the scene with the shirts and she said, to my astonishment: I picked up that line of Ennis' when they leave Brokeback about "leaving that shirt behind" and thought - we're going to hear about that shirt again..." Couldn't believe it. She said "I didn't actually cry during the movie but it has really made me think about it since I saw it." I told her - Mom, that was my response too. I can't tell you all how proud of her I was and how validated it made me feel. She knows I loved the movie if not exactly the depth to which it has resonated within me. (Although, intuitive parent that she is, maybe she does!) Anyway, I thought this was a wonderful response from a fairly conservatiive, if compassionate, person. If this near 80 year old Republican thought this way, maybe others will be responding similarly... I have thought so all along and now it feels more convincing than ever. :D

Offline wkw

• Feet Wet
« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2006, 07:46:35 PM »
Hi FinnGirl,
              I don't believe our assumptions about BBM's audience sexual orientation have anything to do with behavior or appearance. The sad fact is that 50% of the movie going audience, minus gay men and males dragged to the film by wives and girlfriends, was never going to embrace this film no matter how good the reviews or how many the awards. Call it homophobia, the ick factor or an abhorrence to emotional films , most straight American men never saw BBM as something they might enjoy. This "fear" makes the boxoffice numbers for BBM that much more amazing. The film is succeeding without 35%-40% of the movie going publics support.
                                                                                                         Bill

Offline Timothy

• Experienced
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2006, 08:11:29 PM »
A friend went to see BBM on Saturday for the first time.  He did NOT want to go but felt that as a gay man he had to go see it or he'd be left out when everyone talked about it.  I asked him today what he thought.

He said he liked the movie but still doesn't know how he feels about it.  It left him stunned and not sure what to think.  It was definitely not the "western" he thought it was going to be.  He intends on going back again because he thinks there are too many subtleties he didn't catch the first time.  He was amazed that everyone was so awful to each other (he has a close family) and at the devastating impact that not being true to yourself can have on literally everyone around you.

In discussing it I realized something.  We all have seen some old crotchety crank that stays to himself and doesn't belong.  i think this is the first movie - gay, straight, whatever - that tells that guy's story.

Incidentally, he said the theater was pretty mixed crowd (the Grove in Los Angeles) and he saw a lot of straight couples.  His boyfriend's Latin and they were surprised to see a lot of big cholo type guys there with their wives.  I had notice that too in one of my viewings.

In a separate incident, I was having dinner at El Coyote on Saturday night.  My middle aged Latina waitress told us that my friend, who has big puppydog eyes, looked like "that guy in Brokeback Mountain."  I asked her if she saw it and, to my surprise she said "I did and I cried through the whole thing."

Which made me wonder... does anyone know how BBM is doing by ethnic demographic?

Offline exlogcabin

• Expert
« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2006, 08:16:43 PM »
All right, Timothy, if your friend looks like Jake, then I want to meet him, too!!! :)

I saw BBM again today (for the 5th time) and it was at the Grove again.  This time, there were about 30-40 people in the audience, pretty good for a Monday afternoon.  There was a really annoying pair of girls who laughed at EVERYTHING.  Eventually I just had to give them a dirty look.  I was so afraid they were going to ruin the final scenes with Jake and Heath.  Luckily, they seemed to have been touched by the film, as they were quiet for the final 20 minutes.  They even whispered, when Heath gets the returned postcard, in shock, "oh my god, no."

Offline brokebackLJ

• Expert
  • never give up on the good times
« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2006, 08:30:14 PM »
I took notes before the movie started,
it began with me and this elderly woman...
then a young gay couple came in...then a few men alone...
then two straight couples...then a group of two girls, like you exlogcabin, were chatting and laughing the entire time...
there was this elderly group behind me and the woman kept saying funny/weird things...
like when you read the postcard that says deceased she goes "Oh no!"
it was so weird to here it when i'm lost in my own thoughts.

I wish I could see it alone alone and not with so many people especially the annoying girls who were laughing at everything that wasn't funny...it's interesting to see all these grown men going alone to see the movie....

Offline desperadum

• Meli's Love Slave
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Tell you what
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2006, 08:42:49 PM »
Which theater did you go to, LJ? I've seen it at two, Loew's 68th Street and Chelsea Cinemas. I found the uptown audience to be far more quiet and respectful and, by the end, quietly emotional. I was shocked at the tittering and laughing in Chelsea. I keep resisting the urge to see it again soon - I want badly to go, but want to keep it fresh and special. I might break down and go for number four this weekend. So far I've only seen it with a friend, but I think I'm ready to go solo.

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2006, 08:47:58 PM »
The best audience in my experience has been matinees with a lot of cool, elderly folk. very quiet and respectful...

Offline kw

• Experienced
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2006, 08:48:50 PM »
Should Bush's response to BBM be discussed here although he's not audience, friends or family!
won't watch Oscar for the rest of my life

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2006, 08:51:26 PM »
Should Bush's response to BBM be discussed here although he's not audience, friends or family!
What post is this referring to? Thanks!

Offline saianel

• Experienced
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2006, 08:59:13 PM »
One reaction I hated from people is when Jack tells Ennis: "this is a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation".   I heard several people laughing, and it really pissed me off.  It was so distracting.  I was so into the argument, and those laughs made me realize how stupid some str8 men are!!   ::)
I wish I knew how to quit going back to the movies to see Brokeback Mountain!  It has been eleven times and counting!!!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2006, 09:10:49 PM »
...it's interesting to see all these grown men going alone to see the movie....

I am seeing that too the more I see the movie. I am also seeing more individual women as well. I go alone, but mainly because I don't have anyone to go with. When I talk about the movie to women friends I know and they say they want to see it, I tell them I'll go with them. They say OK but never get back or commit to a  time. So....
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline STeve25430

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2006, 09:23:58 PM »
>:(  Got to go see it for the 3rd time tonight. I could not believe my partner actually brought it up. We took his str8 brother with us, he had gone the first time too but the sound was so awful  and this time he enjoyed hearing all Ennis had to say.
This was the worst crowd yet. First time total silence the whole movie.  Second time some laughter IE when Alma catches the boys.
This time laughter the whole time.  People talking texting and beeping on cell phones. Getting up and down.
The lady in front of me said something to one of the offending groups but it only worked for a few minutes.  I wish they would have walked out.
As much as I had wanted to see it again for the close ups of Ennis and Jack and the mountains, all I can think about now is seeing it on DVD in peace and quiet!