The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 615981 times)

Offline Luckie Starchild

• Obsessed
Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2006, 09:28:56 AM »
I've seen it at two, Loew's 68th Street and Chelsea Cinemas. I found the uptown audience to be far more quiet and respectful and, by the end, quietly emotional.

I also saw it at the Loew's 68th Street -- and the audience was just as you described. 

richardL

« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2006, 10:04:49 AM »
Oh God .. what's happening to me ? I've been it tears reading the "how it has affected me" posts now I'm doing the same reading this lot !

I went with my partner of 9 yrs to see it. He cried fairly quietly during parts of it ... kept elbows on the armrests and thus hands readily available at the tear ducts ...
Our audience was in Staines (yes, really) West London .. fairly well-off but working class area which I was real nervous about  .. fearing bad lads jeering or giggles at the wrong moments.    The crowd was very mixed, more than anyone, groups of women in 2s3s4s etc. Plenty of gay male couples .. plenty of fags and hags (sorry for non-pc-ness). Despite all my misgivings, they were a perfect audience .. not  a peak, just some stiffled sobs and a few noses being blown.
Funny thing .. on the way out there was a queue to the toilets .. I'm guessing to blow-nose for those without tissues and check eye make-up .. never seen that before.
I couldn't cry .. I couldn't let it out .. I'd have wailed and never stopped.
Rich

Offline brokebackLJ

• Expert
  • never give up on the good times
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2006, 10:44:19 AM »
Which theater did you go to, LJ? I've seen it at two, Loew's 68th Street and Chelsea Cinemas. I found the uptown audience to be far more quiet and respectful and, by the end, quietly emotional. I was shocked at the tittering and laughing in Chelsea. I keep resisting the urge to see it again soon - I want badly to go, but want to keep it fresh and special. I might break down and go for number four this weekend. So far I've only seen it with a friend, but I think I'm ready to go solo.

I saw it five out of the six times at Lowes on 3rd and 11th. I saw it once at 68th street--and I agree, the reaction was a lot more quiet and respectful.
The first time I saw it, I nearly punched this girl out sitting behind me....I guess the best time of day is to go early evening or late afternoon like I did last night at 5:30 alone, which is a great experience...you and luckiestarchild should check out our little group possibly going to a showing together, if you're interested. The more the merrier. The post is in the members area forum thingie....

Offline Timothy

• Experienced
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2006, 02:03:59 PM »
Tony: thank's for the info on Mexico.  I look forward to seeing when it's released there.

Everyone: as for the giggling girls.  I know it's annoying but I wouldn't take it as a sign of disrespect.  That's just what teenage girls do, it's the response to everything:

"you two dueces..." - giggle
cute sheep - giggle
see a bear - giggle
"water walking Jesus..." - giggle
tent scene - giggle

I think the thing that shows the impact of the film is that there were actually scenes in which teenage girls sitting together DIDN'T giggle.  That's nearly miraculous.

The trick is just to look around and make sure you don't sit near them.  And if they start to sit down near you, just say "sorry, those seats are taken" even if its a few rows away.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2006, 03:15:09 PM »
I have heard nothing but positive feed back from family and friends on this movie.  But here is a site I use to post at many moons ago, check out some of the replies!   :)  Seems like everywhere you go, someone is talking about it.

http://www.mediadomain.com/cgi-bin/netforum/yandr_fan/a.cgi/3-89

FUNGURL

Offline exlogcabin

• Expert
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2006, 04:22:56 PM »
Hey Lola,

I read a lot of soap sites, too.  You would think this is the natural audience.  But even they expect fast paced action and lots of dialogue spelling things out for them.

It's too bad people can't appreciate the story and pacing for what it is.

Exlogcabin

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »
Hey!

Probably the reason alot of people hated movies like The English Patient and Out of Africa, which I loved.

If they were looking for Bad Boys II they didn't get it - well I guess in a way they did! lol

I thought it had a kind of a Legends of the Fall feel to it.

FUNGURL

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2006, 04:33:50 PM »
Hey!

Probably the reason alot of people hated movies like The English Patient and Out of Africa, which I loved.

If they were looking for Bad Boys II they didn't get it - well I guess in a way they did! lol

I thought it had a kind of a Legends of the Fall feel to it.

Thanks Lola and I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment :D
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Wayne SF

• Expert
« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »
My mom in Jacksonville FL saw the movie this past weekend (opening weekend, there).  I didn't let her know (or any of my friends know about my little obsesstion here).  And with little coaching from me, she said it was the best drama-stype movie she has ever seen !!! Yeah Mom !! I ordered the book for her to read from Amazon.  Bet she has to see the movie a second time.  Whaddya Think?
...he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2006, 08:27:54 PM »
BBM Visit #7

BBM opened in a multiplex 10 miles away so audience much smaller than last week. Last week every evening show (1 per night except on week ends) was sold out.

Gay (I'm using my gaydar) guy and female friend making too many smart ass remarks and the first tent scene started.
I turned around and told them to shut the fuck up and his reply was "Is he serious?"
I told him that I didn't pay for him to be a part of my movie so shut up. And he did.
Audience on the whole not perfect-not the best but pretty good.
To err is human, to forgive is canine

Offline lookingforluff

• Getting Acquainted
  • No more tragedies.™
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2006, 09:02:39 PM »
I turned around and told them to shut the fuck up and his reply was "Is he serious?"
I told him that I didn't pay for him to be a part of my movie so shut up. And he did.
Audience on the whole not perfect-not the best but pretty good.

bahahahaha. Pug, long time lurker here... just popping up with some <3 for your, er, outspokennness.

Good going!

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2006, 09:57:19 PM »
Sometimes people refuse to let their soul feel the story  and that is sad.
To err is human, to forgive is canine

Offline Tony

• Experienced
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2006, 09:58:32 PM »
Hey Lola,

I read a lot of soap sites, too.  You would think this is the natural audience.  But even they expect fast paced action and lots of dialogue spelling things out for them.

Exlogcabin
I agrree, for people that are used to see tons of actions, special effects, etc, then this movie would be "slow pace".  They need to start watching good quality films.  And about not much dialogue??  I think this is so wrong.  The movie is rich in great dialogues, great lines that mean so much.

Offline BillN

• Expert
« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2006, 10:10:01 PM »
Hey Lola,

Exlogcabin
I agrree, for people that are used to see tons of actions, special effects, etc, then this movie would be "slow pace".  They need to start watching good quality films.  And about not much dialogue??  I think this is so wrong.  The movie is rich in great dialogues, great lines that mean so much.

In addition to the spoken dialogue, there are many unspoken lines in the film that are very important and effective. The one most telling to me was when we see Jack watching Ennis ride off after the dozy embrace, he says nothing but tells us everything about how he feels.

Offline glacier76

• Experienced
« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »
It should be noted that the soap thread was under the Young & the Restless thread. And Y&R sucks! Go, All My Children and As the World Turns! ;)