The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 615879 times)

cyoung

Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #555 on: February 09, 2006, 03:16:04 PM »
Update on my sister-in-law's response. In reply to my somewhat angry e-mail, she sent me the following link to "Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays."

http://www.pfox.org/asp/newsman/anmviewer.asp?a=175

I give up.

Cara

If you open the link, you'll find the second statement from Simon.  If you can get to the end of it without throwing up, you're a better man (or indeed woman) than me.
What a lovely helpful woman your sister in law must be, Cara.

I read it. What makes this trickier is that many of the complaints the man has about the gay community (or "gay ghettoes"?) are things I've seen gay men complain about here (the emphasis on youth, fitness, appearance). But I think he comes to the wrong conclusions about the reasons for these things.

Cara

Offline Timothy

• Experienced
« Reply #556 on: February 09, 2006, 08:21:32 PM »
Update on my sister-in-law's response. In reply to my somewhat angry e-mail, she sent me the following link to "Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays."

I give up.

Cara

Ah, PFOX.  Scary scary people.

This is the "compassionate" face of the anti-gay movement and, as best I can tell, consists of about three people.  One of them is Richard Cohen, a complete loon, who was featured on Penn and Teller's Bullshit.  If you ever get a chance, see it and you'll know what I mean.

The face of the group is Regina Griggs.  They claim to be parents and friends of Ex-gays (people who used to be gay and now are not).  However, Regina is not the parent of an ex-gay but rather the mother of a gay man who is now unable to wield control over the life of her adult gay son and so instead is campaigning to take away the civil liberties of other gay men and women.

The "successful" ex-gays themselves seem to only consist of a handfull of very religious people who all work for anti-gay political or religious organizations.  Although they call themselves "former homosexuals", nearly all of them admit that on the inside they still have same-sex desire; they've just decided to try to not act on it.  Which is fine, of course.  However, they don't stop there.  They insist that everyone should be forced to deny their orientation and either live celibate the rest of their life or find some woman (like Alma or Lureen) to marry.

I've corresponded with dozens of people who survived these groups and they tell horror stories.

Just this week some 17 year old told his story to the news.  He was dragged to one of these ex-gay camps by his parents in handcuffs, drugged up, and physiologically abused.  After several weeks he escaped.

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=4454613

What is evil about this movement is not just the damage they do to the unsuspecting.  But they also do two things that are contrary to the teachings of Christ:

1.  They lie.  A lot.  They claim that gay people become straight, but only after the person is into it do they discover that they are only talking about labels.  If you claim to be ex-gay that simply means you changed what you call yourself.  These poor participants go in expecting that their same-sex desires will be replaced with opposite-sex desires and it just never happens.  They lie about a "homosexual lifestyle".  They tell young kids "if you live a homosexual lifestyle, you will die of AIDS" and a bunch of horrible bogus real-sounding "statistics" to fill them with fear.  And it's all a sham.

2.  Rather than feed the hungry and visit the sick, they seek to take away health insurance and get people fired.  They are political anti-gay activists.  They go before legislators and say "people have changed" (without telling them they only changed a label) so therefore it's OK to discriminate against gay people and pressure them to "change".  They pass out literature with bizarre claims that have no basis in fact (such as the average lifetime of a gay person is 42). 

PFOX actually tried to get school boards to stop anti-bullying efforts.  Yes - they actually campaigned to try to get schools to no longer say it is wrong to beat up gay kids. 

Fortunately - thank God - most decent people aren't willing to go that far.  When real Christians find out what these people are all about, they just can't reconcile the deception, cruelty, and plain evil with their relationship with God.  But most people just don't know.  Some preacher tells them about this pack of lies - usually he doesn't know any better - because the filthy-rich televangelists have figured out that if you attack the "gay agenda" then money comes pouring in.  And because these charlatans care nothing about truth or the harm they do, they push this vitriol and some 18 year old goes into a gay bar in Massachusetts with a hatchet and a gun this week to start a killing spree.  I wouldn't want to be Dr. Dobson when I stood before God in judgment.

Quite some friends your sister-in-law has.

(OK, I'll climb back down off my soapbox now)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 08:24:39 PM by Timothy »

cyoung

« Reply #557 on: February 09, 2006, 08:55:12 PM »
[Quite some friends your sister-in-law has.

(OK, I'll climb back down off my soapbox now)

It's very depressing and disappointing to me. One good thing has come from it, though. I read her e-mail aloud to my husband (it's his sister) and told him she sent me the link to the "Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays" site. He said, in disbelief, "ex-gays?" and told me he thinks his sister is wrong: "You can't make a gay person ex-gay." He sounded disappointed and disgusted with her ignorance. He also said that she's been impressionable her whole life, never thinking for herself.

I'd been trying to get my husband to see the movie with me, and he'd been reluctant, so I'd let it go. But tonight he told me he wants to see it but "not to push him." Basically that translates to "Okay, I'm seeing it with you, but I'll choose the day."  :D

Cara

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #558 on: February 09, 2006, 09:02:06 PM »

I'd been trying to get my husband to see the movie with me, and he'd been reluctant, so I'd let it go. But tonight he told me he wants to see it but "not to push him." Basically that translates to "Okay, I'm seeing it with you, but I'll choose the day."  :D

Cara
Oh Cara - yeah!  I'm happy for you that you will get to see this film with your husband.
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

cyoung

« Reply #559 on: February 09, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »

Cara
Oh Cara - yeah!  I'm happy for you that you will get to see this film with your husband.

I am too. We are so close, and it was making me sad that I couldn't share this with him. He's always been great about seeing movies that a lot of other men won't see. He doesn't mind love stories and so-called "chick flicks." He saw Phantom of the Opera with me and loved it. So I'm happy. I think he will like Brokeback, even if it makes him a little uncomfortable. I told him it made me uncomfortable at first too.

Cara

Offline TheEnigmatik1

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #560 on: February 09, 2006, 11:29:24 PM »

I give up.

Cara

You know, this entire time I was hoping beyond all hope that she'd eventually come around. Optimism isn't my strong suit, but I tired really hard to believe in her for you, if nothing else. I am truly sorry that this person is a lost cause. Sometimes it's best just to drop certain things that to pull your hair out trying to get your point across. Great news about your hubby though! I hope you guys have a great time. I'm trying to get my partner to go see it again this weekend with some friends from work (I work in a very liberal office), but he was so shaken up after seeing it the first time, he doesn't know if he'll be able to sit through it again anytime soon.

Offline graylockV

• Obsessed
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #561 on: February 10, 2006, 12:05:37 AM »

Cara

I am too. We are so close, and it was making me sad that I couldn't share this with him. He's always been great about seeing movies that a lot of other men won't see. He doesn't mind love stories and so-called "chick flicks." He saw Phantom of the Opera with me and loved it. So I'm happy. I think he will like Brokeback, even if it makes him a little uncomfortable. I told him it made me uncomfortable at first too.

Cara

Cara - I know I don't need to tell you this, but I hope you'll give him a big hug and kiss just for seeing the movie with you, irrespective of his reaction.  He knows the movie means a lot to you and his decision to see ii is a reflection of the respect he has for you. 

While it is a shame about your sister-in-law, she's not atypical; she serves as a reminder of what gay people - and any outsiders- face every day.

Beulah, peel me a grape.

Offline this_is_real_love

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #562 on: February 10, 2006, 12:26:58 AM »
I've got a scan of a article that was featued in a sydney newspaper that highlights Australian's reactions to the movie...its an interesting read! ;)

Does anyone know how I would be able to upload it for everyone to see? ??? Its saved in a paint doc.

thanks!
Love is love. Dont hide it.

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #563 on: February 10, 2006, 12:34:03 AM »
I think I've managed to do it

I put it in my photobucket account....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/angel99n/scan003.jpg

Hope it works!

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #564 on: February 10, 2006, 12:35:29 AM »
I've got a scan of a article that was featued in a sydney newspaper that highlights Australian's reactions to the movie...its an interesting read! ;)

Does anyone know how I would be able to upload it for everyone to see? ??? Its saved in a paint doc.

thanks!

TIRL, is there anyway to get the LINK of the article instead of the article itself. You could post that, and then it would  safe space and people just go directly to it.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #565 on: February 10, 2006, 12:40:20 AM »
no link :(...the only way is through my photobucket account...sorry! :-[

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #566 on: February 10, 2006, 12:40:46 AM »
True. It makes me sad because I'm so hoping that this movie WILL change the minds and hearts of people just like my sister-in-law. But it seems to have done just the opposite; it's as though they become even more firmly entrenched in their point of view.

cara...

a friend of mine has a saying he repeats.  it isn't new, but we both take comfort in it.

"you can't unring the bell"

what is heard, once heard, cannot be unheard.  no matter what the pronounced reaction, the information is now imprinted on the brain and must be dealt with.

heres a favorite of mine.  "he who plants the seed rarely gets to eat the apple".  you planted the seed, now let god bring it to fruition in his/her/its own time...

jack

"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #567 on: February 10, 2006, 12:48:30 AM »

TIRL, do you have access to the newspaper itself, online version of the paper, if so you can go there bring up the article , rt click your mouse to create the shortcut, then bring it here and post as a link
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #568 on: February 10, 2006, 12:52:47 AM »

Cara

butcara, are you prepared for him to have an opinion not in synch with yours?  and to love him no less?  and to get off his back about it?  good, i was sure you would have seen it that way... ;D

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #569 on: February 10, 2006, 01:06:13 AM »

TIRL, do you have access to the newspaper itself, online version of the paper, if so you can go there bring up the article , rt click your mouse to create the shortcut, then bring it here and post as a link

worked out how to display it!! ;D

BTW I live in one of the areas that wasn't showing it BUT due to popular demand, they are showing it on Feb 16th. YAY!! Great to see so many Aussies accepting it! ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 01:34:03 AM by this_is_real_love »