The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 615913 times)

TahoeMom

Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #585 on: February 12, 2006, 01:00:34 AM »
kmom, yep she is quite the kid, mostly torture at this point as she questions and rebels at every turn, but what an incredible adult this one will make... if she survives that long. :D

seriously this kid of mine has empathy for just about anything.. deep beyond her years, and an acceptance of everyone... we were talking about beautiful people one day and I was babbling about someone and she said, "Mom, I think everyone is beautiful" and she meant it.  I cried... if I do nothing else right in my life....

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #586 on: February 12, 2006, 01:31:42 AM »
kmom, yep she is quite the kid, mostly torture at this point as she questions and rebels at every turn, but what an incredible adult this one will make... if she survives that long. :D

seriously this kid of mine has empathy for just about anything.. deep beyond her years, and an acceptance of everyone... we were talking about beautiful people one day and I was babbling about someone and she said, "Mom, I think everyone is beautiful" and she meant it.  I cried... if I do nothing else right in my life....

Just wait on this issue as well. I never thought my two would make it out alive either. I had my doubts about myself as well :-\
They are now 25 and 22. The older is married and is a PhD candidate and the younger is a FN first class in the US Coast Guard. So you see, this too shall pass :D

You are so right, if I accomplish nothings else in my life...
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #587 on: February 12, 2006, 01:51:21 AM »
what's an FN?
May the bridges I burn light the way forward.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #588 on: February 12, 2006, 01:56:55 AM »
what's an FN?

Abbreviation for the title of Fireman
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #589 on: February 12, 2006, 02:26:06 AM »
ah. thanks. :) couldn't think of what it could possibly be. limited imagination.
May the bridges I burn light the way forward.

Offline RodneyWY

• AP's Torch Bearer
  • Obsessed
  • "Voice of Brokeback" (named by Jackie Pascarella)
« Reply #590 on: February 12, 2006, 05:45:16 AM »
Today was #8 for me, only this time I was able to be accompanied by my 79 y/o mother, who is visiting me from Kansas.  We had discussed many aspects of the film (without spoilers, naturally) beforehand, so she was well prepared, and already informed of the film's importance to me.  She reacted to the film in the sympathetic, emotional way that I expected her to, and she sat glued to her seat through the end of the closing credits.  We then had a wonderful opportunity to react to each other's reactions and discuss even more aspects of the film.  One of the questions she had was the ambiguity of Jack's demise.  I believe I had thoroughly prepared her for the film experience, and she told me that she was so glad that she was able to see the film with me.  Anyone else had the experience of seeing the film with a parent?

Rodney

Offline Uclapeterg

• Obsessed
« Reply #591 on: February 12, 2006, 08:27:12 AM »
what's an FN?

Abbreviation for the title of Fireman

Do you know where any are?  ;)

Offline KathyinBama

• Expert
« Reply #592 on: February 12, 2006, 08:55:20 AM »
I went for time number 4 last night.  Only 11 people present, but it was snowing a bit which may have kept people home.  I went with my 16 year old son.  It was interesting to me that while he liked the film, he didn't love it.  I think because he has never yet been in love nor lost the love of his life (as so many of us have), the film did not resonate with him in the way it has with so many people (myself included).  He actually thought the shirt thing was "corny" which I considered close to sacrilege!  We talked about the film afterward and it wasn't until later, when he went to bed, that I realized he had listed some things he really like (the cinematography was beatiful, I thought the actors were terrific, etc.) and some things he was less than crazy about (Didn't you think it was kind of predictable?  Why do these love stories always have someone die?), but he never mentioned the fact that the protagonists were both men.  I really think it was a non-issue for him, which gives me some hope for this younger generation.  My nephew, who is a year and a half older than my son, is openly gay in high school (here, in rural Alabama) and does not have problems for the most part.  I hope all of these things signal that our young people get it and are not following in the homophobic footsteps of their parents.  Or at least that fewer of them are.

Oh, and just for the record - time four - cried just as hard and loved it just as much.  I noticed a lot of details that posters here had pointed out to me.  Thanks, all.

Offline exlogcabin

• Expert
« Reply #593 on: February 12, 2006, 09:11:41 AM »
Thanks for the report, Kathy.

So glad that the stereotype of Alabama doesn't always hold true.  I agree with you that the younger generation gets it.  My little brother, who is 23, totally is cool with it, too. Equality will be achieved some day.  It just may take time.

Offline carlton

• Experienced
« Reply #594 on: February 12, 2006, 09:33:33 AM »
Saw it again for 6th time yesterday at earliest showing saturday afternoon- They had moved it to a smaller theatre=probably about 50-60 people in attendance. Figured I wouldnt tear up,choke up,cry by the 6th time but  I was wrong. Audience was pretty quiet during the showing. A lot of elderly ladies in attendance- Only comment I heard from one of them to her friend was "It's a shame two men can fall so deeply in love" -Guess that could be a backhanded compliment to the film.   

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #595 on: February 12, 2006, 10:02:25 AM »
Anyone else had the experience of seeing the film with a parent?

Rodney

I took my mother (65) on the day after Christmas.  She loved it, but said that the sadest aspect of the movie to her was that Jack and Ennis wasted their lives, spending most of their time appart, missing each other.

patroclus

« Reply #596 on: February 12, 2006, 10:17:50 AM »
  He actually thought the shirt thing was "corny" which I considered close to sacrilege! 

Well, I can remember first reading 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' when I was 16 and being very dismissive of it at first - god, so obvious seduced by the cad, illegitimate baby which conveniently dies...etc. Then it hit me and I was really moved. But most people didn't get it. I don't think most 16 year olds, understandably, have a sense of the tragic. You feel like you can control the world and nothing can ever hurt you, more or less. And most haven't experienced the sort of bereavement where you hug your dead lover's shirt and your heart breaks. So it probably looks a bit fakey and forced to them. And you'd think, wouldn't you - why can't they just get together if that's what they want? Obvious.

Great to hear about your nephew, too.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #597 on: February 12, 2006, 10:45:17 AM »

Just wait on this issue as well. I never thought my two would make it out alive either. I had my doubts about myself as well :-\
They are now 25 and 22. The older is married and is a PhD candidate and the younger is a FN first class in the US Coast Guard. So you see, this too shall pass :D

You are so right, if I accomplish nothings else in my life...
isn't this a good excuse to post hunk pictures again?
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #598 on: February 12, 2006, 11:01:29 AM »

tsk tsk Jack,

.....as Auntie leaves this thread and moseys over to the pics ;D
... Kierkegaard

Offline WLAGuy

• Obsessed
« Reply #599 on: February 12, 2006, 11:08:37 AM »

tsk tsk Jack,

.....as Auntie leaves this thread and moseys over to the pics ;D

Shouldn't that be "sidles over to the pics"?   :D :D