The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 612548 times)

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #630 on: February 13, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »
I'm always here for you, true sister, but I can't help but laugh when I see that you are (once again) a VIRGIN among us! :D :D :D  Rest, sister, before you make decisions, rest.

I know. Silly of me to delete my account instead of just taking a break. Maybe there's a way to hook up the old account with the newly created one. Then again, sometimes it's fun to be a virgin all over again.  :D

Cara
Check with Melisande.  She knows all, sees all.  Good to see a smile, sis
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #631 on: February 13, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »
Hmm I am just reading this now, I can't believe she even went and saw the movie with you.  And if she did and based on what she has said, I am wondering if she is struggling with her own sexuality, is that a possibility?

Otherwise I don't see where her anger is coming from?

But I think we have to be careful and not think that her feelings are the feelings of all Christians.  I am Catholic, I believe that Jesus did walk on water, but I am not a nut! 

She doesn't follow the teachings of Christ, not even close, and she can call herself what ever she likes, but her beliefs are not Christian.

I don't know what your relationship is with her otherwise, but personally I wouldn't have her as a friend.  My SIL's are my friends, they are people I love and want to be around. 

(((HUGS))))

FUNGURL

Offline exlogcabin

• Expert
« Reply #632 on: February 14, 2006, 02:53:25 AM »
Dear Cara,

Thanks for sharing your personal situation.  It's unfortunate that you have to go through so much pain.  But as many gays and lesbians have found out, sometimes you just have to walk away from hurtful situations.

As a Buddhist, we are taught that there is negativity all around us, and that we must take delight in the goodness in life.   I am glad you are part of this community and you can feel the love and support here.  Perhaps you can use that is the guiding force in your life.

If you chose to continue the conversation with them, my suggestion would be to keep it simple.  Do not argue the minute details with this person. It is obvious that they have thought of every conceivable point.  But hold fast to your own core values.  Assuming you are Christian, I would tell them what you know of the Bible and what it teaches you.  From the many Christians that I know, they talk of Jesus as a kind person who loves all and preaches charity and kindness.  These are the true values of Christians, not the hate and exclusion that has been used to justify slavery, anti-miscegenation laws and women as second-class citizens.  Those are the values of a church hierarchy who needs to control your relationship with God to validate their existence.

Curtis

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #633 on: February 14, 2006, 08:17:28 AM »
Cara,
I hope you've had a good night's sleep and been able to digest a little of what was offered to you last night.  Catch up with exlogcabin's post, too.  Whatever decision you make (and remember, You DON'T have to make any now), we are here for you if you want us.  In the meantime, enjoy your virginity while you can.  It doesn't seem to last long around here. :D

BillKCMO, thank you for the kind words.  I have learned so much from the family here.
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad

cyoung

« Reply #634 on: February 14, 2006, 10:08:31 AM »
Cara,
I hope you've had a good night's sleep and been able to digest a little of what was offered to you last night.  Catch up with exlogcabin's post, too.  Whatever decision you make (and remember, You DON'T have to make any now), we are here for you if you want us.  In the meantime, enjoy your virginity while you can.  It doesn't seem to last long around here. :D

BillKCMO, thank you for the kind words.  I have learned so much from the family here.

Thanks SO much to everyone for your great posts and your support. I love you guys.  :)

I did send a brief reply to my sister-in-law that maybe we could have a long conversation one day. I also asked her if she had gay friends with whom she'd ever discussed the issues. Her reply: "I do have gay friends, who I probably would NEVER bring this up with, unless they came to me and said something like 'I'm so confused.....' "

Oh Lordie.  >:(

Cara

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #635 on: February 14, 2006, 10:20:52 AM »
Cara's not a virgin!  Cara's not a virgin!  Welcome back, sis.   :D

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #636 on: February 14, 2006, 10:27:02 AM »
Cara is she married to your brother? Or is she your husbands sister?  If you don't mind me asking!

FUNGURL

Offline waynerman

• Experienced
  • Gay Author
    • This Way Madness Lies
« Reply #637 on: February 14, 2006, 10:33:54 AM »
I also asked her if she had gay friends with whom she'd ever discussed the issues. Her reply: "I do have gay friends, who I probably would NEVER bring this up with, unless they came to me and said something like 'I'm so confused.....' "

You know, I never noticed this until BBM came along, but there are so many homophobes out there who claim that they have gay friends...it makes me wonder. When I attended the BBM discussion at our local Presbyterian church, one woman brought her husband with her...she had seen the film but couldn't convince her husband to see it because he was so uncomfortable with the "gay" part. And yet, he claimed to have gay friends. Likewise, the Bible-thumper who attended the meeting solely to point out that all gays were going to hell, also said that he has gay friends!

With "friends" like these, we don't need enemies! :o
Check out my outrageous erotic novel, "My Name Is Rand," published by Suspect Thoughts Press!

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #638 on: February 14, 2006, 10:34:02 AM »
LOL Oh no I was talking about her SIL, the one who sent her the e-mail, sorry!   ;)

FUNGURL

Offline lektronnorth

• Experienced
  • Just the smile in your eyes can light up the night
« Reply #639 on: February 14, 2006, 10:37:18 AM »
[Likewise, the Bible-thumper who attended the meeting solely to point out that all gays were going to hell, also said that he has gay friends!

With "friends" like these, we don't need enemies! :o

Right, at least it'll be warm.  >:( If I'm going anyway, I'd better start sinning in thought word AND deed.  Now, anyone got Adorable Jake's private phone number? ;D
"Hell, that's the most I've spoke in a YEAR..."

cyoung

« Reply #640 on: February 14, 2006, 10:37:31 AM »
Cara is she married to your brother? Or is she your husbands sister?  If you don't mind me asking!
No, Lola, Cara and I are not related, except by kinship with this place, all of the wonderful people here.  I have a tendency to get a little gushy sometimes.  Can't help it.  Love you all and this forum so much.

At the moment, I feel more related to you all than I do to my sister-in-law!

She's my husband's sister, but I've known her a little longer than I've known my husband. We went to the same high school and were in two of the same classes in our junior year. I could tell you that basically she's a good-hearted person, but at this point you all might not believe it.  :(

Cara

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #641 on: February 14, 2006, 10:40:38 AM »
Does your husband know how she feels, don't mind me being so nosey (again) ?

And you know what I do believe she may be a good hearted person, she is just very misguided, it is kind of sad when you think about it.

Oh well maybe you will start to rub off on her!   ;)

FUNGURL

cyoung

« Reply #642 on: February 14, 2006, 10:43:09 AM »
Does your husband know how she feels, don't mind me being so nosey (again) ?

And you know what I do believe she may be a good hearted person, she is just very misguided, it is kind of sad when you think about it.

Oh well maybe you will start to rub off on her!   ;)

Yeah, my husband knows and was just rolling his eyes. It doesn't surprise him too much; he says she's always been "impressionable." He couldn't believe she actually thought that a gay person could become "ex-gay."

Cara

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #643 on: February 14, 2006, 10:44:14 AM »
No, Lola, Cara and I are not related, except by kinship with this place, all of the wonderful people here.  I have a tendency to get a little gushy sometimes.  Can't help it.  Love you all and this forum so much.

At the moment, I feel more related to you all than I do to my sister-in-law!

She's my husband's sister, but I've known her a little longer than I've known my husband. We went to the same high school and were in two of the same classes in our junior year. I could tell you that basically she's a good-hearted person, but at this point you all might not believe it.  :(

Cara
Cara, honey, that means the world to me.
The funny thing is that Lola didn't mean the question for me, but for you.. I felt like such an idiot that I deleted my original response and pm'ed her about it.  But, in the meantime, you picked it up.

You know what, Cara, I DO believe you that you SIL is basically a good-hearted person, because, otherwise, you wouldn't give a damn about what she thought.  That may be the hardest thing for you, am I right?  That you wish this one part of her brain and heart could be adjusted.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #644 on: February 14, 2006, 11:41:19 AM »
Hmmm that really is interesting isn't it?

Sounds like maybe something did happen and she now feels guilty about it and is trying to "repent"  :-\

Like you said her parents should have been more worried about the born agains getting her. And if her husband is a homophob that can't help matters.  And a sexist and controlling and bi-polar to boot..........sigh  I almost feel sorry for her : (

Do they have kids (me Miss nosey) ??

FUNGURL