The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Reactions to Brokeback by friends, family & audiences  (Read 612296 times)

Offline Dathan

• Expert
  • What the hell happened Ennis?
Re: Audience, Friends and Family Reactions to the Movie
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2006, 02:59:43 PM »
Here is the link for the article in this Sunday's Houston Chronicle by Vance Muse.  His take on seeing BBM in two different theatres in Houston--one sudience he felt basically gay and another more young and mainstream.  What do you guys & gals think?
http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/movies/3568578.html
"You know it could be like this, just like this always"

lynn

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2006, 03:54:15 PM »
The young straight audiences was quieter, while the gay audience laughed during the first tent scene (sacrilege) and Alma at the reunion kiss. Not unlike some other reactions posted here.

I'm starting to think that out in the suburbs at a muliplex on a midweek afternoon is the way to go. Mostly seniors, a few couples, and nuts like me. Quiet as a church, for the most part.

Offline PennQuaker

• Feet Wet
  • Frustrating establishment expectations since 1959!
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2006, 05:02:49 PM »
The young straight audiences was quieter, while the gay audience laughed during the first tent scene (sacrilege) and Alma at the reunion kiss. Not unlike some other reactions posted here.

I'm starting to think that out in the suburbs at a muliplex on a midweek afternoon is the way to go. Mostly seniors, a few couples, and nuts like me. Quiet as a church, for the most part.

I second that.  BTW, brand new member here today .. I'm sure moderators and other members will provide guidance if I run afoul of established protocol. 

As I said in my introduction post, I've seen the film every day since my birthday (12/22), so I'm approaching 20 screenings.  It wasn't until the third or fourth that I finally caught all the dialogue, so much of it being whispered or mumbled.  Beyond that, it's laden with imagery, foreshadowing, and flashbacks, all of which require attention and concentration.  This is best done in a quiet, uncrowded theater with people who know how to behave themselves. 

My home base is the Ritz in Philadelphia, which has had showings from 11:30a to 10:00p.  I've seen at least one at each time, and some interesting trends have come to light: 

a)  For the most part, the straight audiences have demonstrated a surprising level of self-control during the scenes most likely to jolt them.  This is encouraging:  no outbursts, no sneering, no exaggerated groaning, certainly no dramatic walkouts.  None of this was the case in 1982, when half the theater walked out during _Making Love_.  The worst reaction I've noted is inappropriate giggling. 

b)  Beyond their surprising restraint, I believe the majority of the straight audiences "get it."  I say this because of two consistent observations beyond their unexpected composure:  a large number of the men, particularly the younger men, walk out silently, their chins attached to their chests.  This is what guys do when they don't want people to see they're emotional.  Also, the older folks -- my cohort, 45+ -- often cluster outside the theater, babbling on about how wonderful it was.

c)  Philadelphians react, audibly, to all the same scenes others have mentioned:  Alma at the door witnessing The Kiss; turning away from Ennis, in tears, as he runs off with Jack; Aguirre spying the barechested grappling; Jack reading the Riot Act to his asshole of a father in law.

d)  The Returned Postcard:  by this point, the theater is usually stone silent.  When the postcard is revealed, there are often audible gasps and stifled sobs. 

e)  Jack's (imagined?) murder:  by this point, many women seem to be struggling to control their tears.  Single women seem to do better in this regard than women in groups.  In mixed-sex couples, a surprising number of the men are slumped down in their seats, appearing to recoil. 

I must've talked with at least a hundred people (anyone who'll submit themselves to this torture, actually), and there was but one person who didn't like it.  Surprisingly enough, it was a younger (32) gay man, a longtime friend, who thought it was "too long" and lacked continuity.
"You know, it could be like this .. just like this, always."

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2006, 06:15:08 PM »
Have seen it twice in beautiful Doylestown, PA at the County, the non-profit art house cinema. This is a 41 mile trip each way.

First time I saw it, I heard a woman behind me exclaim before the start of the BBM that she hates "being dragged to movies she doesn't want to see." A fast "SHHHH!" from me did the trick. Not another peep from her. The biggest annoyance came from a gay gentleman with a deep baritone whisper. He had a comment for EVERYTHING. So annoying! During the initial sex/tent scene he exclaimed "Oh my God!' and when Alma sees Jake and Ennis kissing, he exclaimed "Poor thing." I just wanted to kill him. Other than that, the audience was quiet and sat in stunned silence during the last half hour with noticeable crying at Jake's parent's house.

Second time, I took my mom who is 88. The theater was practically sold out and the audience was perfect. There was a quiet gasp when Alma sees Ennis with Jake. There was audible soft weeping at the end. My Mom loved the film and dealt very well with the tent scene but the later violence and cruelty was upsetting to her.

It opens here in Allentown this Saturday at our local non profit art house theater, The 19th Street Theatre, for a 2 week run (very long for the 19th Street as films change weekly since it is the only independent venue here). My guess , like F 9/11, the big chains will eventually pick it up. IMO The 19th Street is the perfect theater for this film. Trailers at the local megaplex last Fall were met with straight guy snickering.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 07:01:24 PM by Pug »
To err is human, to forgive is canine

Offline thirdeye

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2006, 06:20:44 PM »
I'm hoping BBM sweeps the Oscars, especially now that I got my father to see it.

If someone close to you saw the movie and didn't feel the emotional impact it had on yourself then what does that mean?

Are they possibly crippled, emotionally?

I'm afraid my father was so guarded by the fact of seeing two men loving each other that he totally missed the impact this movie could have had on him.  He appreciates the arts, he loves classical music and is an avid movie buff but somehow he misses this one entirely.

What does that say?

PS.  I've posted part of this on another thread, not realizing this thread was more appropriate.
I'm sticking with the CAVIAR. F*ck the Chesse Whiz

knightmare

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2006, 06:54:05 PM »
I didn't have the emotional impact from the movie that everyone else has had, and I don't think myself an emotional cripple.

It might be many different reasons.  Maybe if he watched the movie in private, he'd have felt more free, but in public, he might have been worrying about what everyone else around him might think of him if he responded.  He might have found himself embarrassed, or hesitant to be open.

My friend and I had a good time watching the movie, and it was entertaining to us both, but neither of us cried, or gasped, although we did laugh when appropriate.

BTW, he's gay (the friend I went to see the movie with).  His main comment was he wished they'd panned in closer on the scene when they jumped off the cliff into the river.  ;)

Offline waynerman

• Experienced
  • Gay Author
    • This Way Madness Lies
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2006, 09:30:50 PM »
Saw it for the second time tonight. Bigger theater, bigger screen.

My impression was that the audience seemed to be mostly straight couples. There must have been other gay couples or groups there besides my partner and myself, but I didn't see any.

There was uproarious laughter at the Alma-witnesses-the-kissing scene, which really irked me. And there were times when the straight couple next to me were going "Awwww,' as if it was so CUTE that these guys were kissing each other...yecch!

It is so interesting to see, though, how the audience quiets down as the film progresses. There was hardly a peep out of anyone for the last half hour or so, just some sniffles. I was crying, which didn't surprise me--the scene where Ennis visits Jack's parents just rips my heart out of my chest.

My partner seemed more "teary" this time. We talked afterwards about all the little things we caught the second time around, that we hadn't noticed the first time. For one thing, much of Ennis's dialogue was more understandable, hearing it the second time.

As when we saw the movie the first time, there were a number of straight couples standing out in the theater lobby afterwards, having animated discussions about how much they liked it. I heard one man say, "This is one movie that deserves all the hype it's received." That warmed my heart!
Check out my outrageous erotic novel, "My Name Is Rand," published by Suspect Thoughts Press!

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2006, 09:53:05 PM »
I'm in San Diego The first time I saw BBM (the day it opened in SD) I saw it with my husband and a couple of gay women friends.  There were a significant number of seniors in the audience.  The film had just that day gotten a glowing review in the SD paper
The audience was fairly quiet - not much laughter even during funny parts

We all loved the film
After the film we went to dinner and one of my fiends told me of what she over heard from the senior couple next to her. During the scene of the first night in the tent, the woman next to her turned to her husband and said 'what are they doing - are they fighting?' Now I am sure they got the idea after that and no one in  the audience walked out.

Lots of sniffling at the end. Many stayed to watch all of the credits.

never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline Luckie Starchild

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2006, 07:05:01 AM »
Last night my friend told me she had seen it and that she liked it but did not love it.  It was too slow and boring.  She basically said BBM is overrated and that people are only saying its great because of the same sex relationship.

I know I should realize that not everyone is going to love it but... grrr... I am really annoyed with her right now.  I can't help it!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2006, 07:42:49 AM »
If all goes well, I'll be going back for my 3rd viewing of BBM on Sunday (my bday) with my friend Cor.  She is a "mush", much like me, and I can picture us both crying at the movie. 

haahaahaa

Offline waynerman

• Experienced
  • Gay Author
    • This Way Madness Lies
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2006, 07:50:20 AM »
I think that people who feel that the movie is slow and boring saw it when they weren't in the mood to be engaged by it. BBM isn't difficult to understand, but neither is it the kind of box-office dreck that caters to people with five-second attention spans.

Then again, there are people who are just "immune" to certain movies. I, for one, have never been able to understand the appeal of Casablanca, which I have seen twice and disliked both times.  :(
Check out my outrageous erotic novel, "My Name Is Rand," published by Suspect Thoughts Press!

knightmare

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2006, 08:14:57 AM »
When Mel first asked me about it, I told her I didn't like chick flicks.  Then we argued about it.  To me, it's just that. I'm not into relationship movies, no matter who the relationship is about.  And it was slow.  I also don't find the '5 second attention span movies' to be dreck.  That's just me, I realize.

One thing everyone has to acknowledge.  Not everyone is going to go insane for this movie. And not because of the same sex pairing.  Not because of the controversy, etc.  Simply because movies like this (slow, majestic, romantic, etc) are simply not their thing.  That doesn't mean anything is wrong with them, nor does it mean they are against the movie or what it portrays.  It just means they didn't like the movie.  Period.

Now, my mom liked the movie.  She was a bit uncomfortable about the sex scenes, but I'm unsure if that was just that it was sex scenes, or same sex scenes.  She had no problem with Buffy TVS, and they showed as much as BBM.

I'm taking my husband this weekend, so he can know what all the fuss is about.

Offline Pug

• Jack n Ennis 4 Ever
  • Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2006, 08:52:03 AM »
Knightmare, I am new here but isn't this forum for people who love this film and want to share? I don't understand your posts in this arena ??? but then I imagine all opinions are welcome. Again, I am new so maybe I am wrong!

IMO, most 5 second attention span movies are garbage but sometimes fun. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 08:53:54 AM by Pug »
To err is human, to forgive is canine

Offline rjc

• Feet Wet
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2006, 09:37:38 AM »
Knightmare, I am new here but isn't this forum for people who love this film and want to share? I don't understand your posts in this arena ??? but then I imagine all opinions are welcome. Again, I am new so maybe I am wrong!

As I see it, this forum is for anyone who's interested in BBM and wants to share his or her thoughts and reactions. At least I hope that's so. I find Knightmare's dissenting opinions refreshing, and I think they serve the purpose of splashing the cold water of reality on all of us BBM-lovers. It's great fun and in many ways nurturing to exhange our bouquets to the film among ourselves, but I want the bigger picture. We'd love to see it sweep the Oscars, but how realistic is that outcome? We'd love it to have a lasting benign effect on society, but will it?

We can't answer those questions--and others like them--now, but I feel it's important to pose them.

I've seen BBM four times now. When I tell friends and family that, they think I'm crazy.

Offline Charlie

• Feet Wet
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2006, 10:03:22 AM »
A report from Gainesville, Florida.

Well, I went to see it today at 12:30 pm. The theater was about 2/3 full.
The ticket woman identified that they were sold out for the evening showings and had been since Friday. They even added an extra theater to handle the crowds.

Very good movie. I enjoyed it. Glad a read the story before hand (thanks!) - it was very true to the book. There were some really good shots (camera
angles) in the movie. Very well made. I definitely enjoyed it and will likely buy it when it comes out. I think I agree with you - it is unlikely to win best picture.

I recognized a number of guys in the crowd (you can guess why) and was very pleased with the number of lesbians that I saw there. In fact, I was very surprised to see so many.