The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Reunion  (Read 1032583 times)

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
The Reunion
« on: January 07, 2006, 10:39:14 AM »
Talk about the reunion here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 06:38:16 AM by peteinportland »
let be, let be

Offline M. Alexander

• Feet Wet
Re: The Reunion
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 02:16:58 PM »
I love all the little touches in this scene, starting from when Ennis is anxiously awaiting Jack's return. The story says that he's put on his best shirt for the occassion, which we can't really tell in the movie, although it's clear it's a nicer shirt than what he normally wears! All that waiting throughout the day... And then when he hears the truck outside, the little smile that crosses his face (and how many times do we get to see Ennis smile?) when he sees Jack alighting outside. He rushes out of the room, tucking in this shirt in the back. Wants to look his best!  "Jack Fuckin' Twist!" BIG SMILE. The race down the stairs and then the embrace - son of a bitch, son of a bitch. That embrace they've been waiting for - four years delayed - and WE'VE been waiting for for what seems an equally long time. So wonderful to behold. The furtive glances around to see if they've been spotted and then, fuck it, throw that sucker into the corner and kiss him like there's no tomorrow. And back at him, from Jack. Oh, my gosh... How often do we get to see real passion like this on the screen or anywhere for that matter. Do I have any regrets? Just wish it was even longer and of course, one of my big regrets: that during the course of the film we never get to hear Ennis utter his only endearment to Jack described in the story: calling him "little darlin'" Oh well, somewhere in the privacy of their moments Jack was called this, even if we don't get to hear it :D

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 07:25:49 PM »
What M Alexander said. I guess we all want that "little darlin' ", but yes, Ennis said it sometimes, we just weren't there. And notice how the music starts up when they meet, that music that's so familiar to me now I tear up just hearing the first note.

Here's the French site that includes a clip of the reunion scene - Ennis waiting up to the look around. The way Jack looks at Ennis after they break the hug just slays me. The hug could be just hey, sonofabitch, nice to see you, but then his eyes go to Ennis' mouth and stay there and

http://www.pathedistribution.com/accueil/videos.php?start=0&IDFilm=610

let be, let be

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 07:59:27 PM »
Here's the French site that includes a clip of the reunion scene - Ennis waiting up to the look around. The way Jack looks at Ennis after they break the hug just slays me. The hug could be just hey, sonofabitch, nice to see you, but then his eyes go to Ennis' mouth and stay there and

http://www.pathedistribution.com/accueil/videos.php?start=0&IDFilm=610

Damn and gone!  I've seen the movie 4x and the reunion hug I don't know how many more, but when Jack just stays orally fixated on Ennis' mouth, I lose it.  My heart is pounding every bit as fast as theirs I'll bet. lol.  That scene has chemistry and heat.  It is more than acting.  I love it that there is no "play" here.  It is all passion and pent up emotion and repressed need.  How Ennis remains clear headed enough to break apart from Jack and regain [a little] composure is beyond me.  I do love it that they're both still breathless at the top of the stairs when Ennis introduces Jack to Alma.  Love it.  She notices too.
I know what they're feeling and I find it hard to remain composed when I reunite w/ my girl after our long separations.  It's painful to be that aware of another person - their pulse, their scent, their breathing and it's worse to be apart.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline bonnie

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 03:48:42 AM »
I don't have my copy I ordered of the screenplay (yet), so...
After E and J stop kissing each other, and before they climb the stairs up to the apartment,
does Ennis say something? I thought so, but it's so hard to tell.
Dude, would it have killed you to catch a couple of fish? :)

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 08:06:07 AM »
He says "come here" (or "cum er") because he needs to take Jack to meet Alma.

I especially love two things about this scene:

The first is when Ennis is playing nervously with his lighter and watching out the window. Gosh, I sooo felt his nervous energy in that moment. I have been there.

I love when Jack meets Alma and says "I have a baby boy. Smiles a lot." That is in such direct contrast to what Alma is doing (or feeling) at that moment. Plus, Jack looks so cute and aw-shucks saying that line.

kumari

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 07:39:30 PM »
What I love most about this scene is that Ennis initiates it.
From the moment that he hears Jack's piece of shit truck pull into the parking lot, you can feel his anxiety and overwhelming excitement right through the screen.
It is such an emotional payoff to see Ennis completely out of control.
After all of Jack's wondering and waiting and getting shot down and humiliated in Aguirre's trailer, you can feel Jack's heart soar when he sees the truth for what it is: the man he loves loves him back.

Offline Caroline

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 08:09:46 PM »
Kumari, good evening!!
I saw the movie again for the third time this aft... and have this to say about the reunion scene, I find myself really watching what happens with Jack/Jake... and the look on his face when Ennis has grabbed him and kissed him so unbelievably.. and is holding him by the head, oh my God... the look of almost devastation on Jack's face is so eloquent, he realizes, as you said, that "redlining all the way there" has resulted in his dreams come true, Ennis feels about him as he feels about Ennis... it is the physical confirmation for him that you see in his face that is almost too much to bear...
How strong a person is can be measured by what it takes to discourage them.... church sign, Trafalgar Rd, Georgetown, Ont Canada.. 01/30/2006

lynn

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »
To follow-up on Caroline's thoughts, I was going to post my own observations on this incredible scene, but I just read something at IMDB that captures them so perfectly, I'm pasting it here. This is in answer to the question, "Did Jack know Ennis loved him?":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/33344327

Right after Alma sees them kiss, we cut back to the end of Jack and Ennis. They are trying to stop kissing. Ennis - the person who started the kissing - is not trying to "get rid of" the feelings he is having. He moves Jack's arms down to his side, he touches him on the forehead with his lips. Basically, he says "Ok we have to pull it back together. Now. Fast." Poor Jack has just been hit by a truck. He never in a million years thought that Ennis would take the hug to the next level so intensely. Jack would have initiated that kiss had he thought Ennis would have reciprocated it. But the fact that it was Ennis who lost control. It was Ennis who's feelings exploded out in raw, uncensored reality, just makes Jack love him all the more.

This is one of only two times in the film in which Ennis is purely real. Although he looks quickly over his shoulder to make sure no one is watching. Once he feels safe enough, he let's go of every inhibition he has.

You can see it in Jack's eyes. "Thank God, I am not crazy." He is thinking. "He feels the same way about me. I know it. After all of these years, it was making me crazy to think I made all of that up, but I didn't. He just proved it to me."

They are both gay, folks. It's just the way it is. Trust me, I'm a Jack, and I've loved an Ennis.

Offline evie

• Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »
Folks: more apparant in the short story than in the movie is that on Jack's part at least, there is a whole lotta shakin goin on. I have a few theories of my own as to why Jack might be trembling from head to toe but none that I am entirely convinced about. I wonder what you all think? Here's the text:

"You got a kid?" said Jack. His shaking hand grazed Ennis's hand, electrical current snapped between them.

"Two little girls," Ennis said. "Alma Jr. and Francine. Love them to pieces." Alma's mouth twitched.

"I got a boy," said Jack. "Eight months old. Tell you what, I married a cute little old Texas girl down in Childress -- Lureen." From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking.
"Alma," he said. "Jack and me is goin out and get a drink. Might not get back tonight, we get drinkin and talkin."

"Sure enough," Alma said, taking a dollar bill from her pocket. Ennis guessed she was going to ask him to get her a pack of cigarettes, bring him back sooner.

"Please to meet you," said Jack, trembling like a run-out horse.
Let 'er rip and snort boys

lynn

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »
Gee, I simply assumed it was the incredible emotional and physical excitement after that kiss.... what do you think?

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 12:47:39 PM »
Gee, I simply assumed it was the incredible emotional and physical excitement after that kiss.... what do you think?

I think I have to agree with you Lynn.Jack surely was ready to explode (as was Ennis, I'm sure) and it came out as shakes. I know I have experienced the shakes after an overwhelming physical expression of love/lust. Also, I am sure they both were ready to tear completely into one another but Ennis had to introduce Jack to Alma and then explain that he wouldn't be back that night. Jack and Ennis knew some serious lovemaking was on the way!

P.S. I love the bits from IMDb below thanks for that.
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 12:50:19 PM »
The first is when Ennis is playing nervously with his lighter and watching out the window. Gosh, I sooo felt his nervous energy in that moment. I have been there.

Me too.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 02:00:43 PM »
Kumari, good evening!!
I saw the movie again for the third time this aft... and have this to say about the reunion scene, I find myself really watching what happens with Jack/Jake... and the look on his face when Ennis has grabbed him and kissed him so unbelievably.. and is holding him by the head, oh my God... the look of almost devastation on Jack's face is so eloquent, he realizes, as you said, that "redlining all the way there" has resulted in his dreams come true, Ennis feels about him as he feels about Ennis... it is the physical confirmation for him that you see in his face that is almost too much to bear...

This segueways to me mentioning another scene, (sorry!) but that "redlining" to this reunion makes the "redlining" Jack does later on upon learning of Ennis's divorce all the more poignant and contrasting...

Offline evie

• Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »
I guess I have never had another human being invoke that depth of emotion out of me which is why I couldn't put my finger on the whole shaking thing. (Oh no-- am I Ennis?)

I did imagine that sexual anticipation was part of it. Also perhaps weak-kneed relief. Jack must have been anxiously wondering if Ennis still felt the same after four years--after all, Ennis did not try for re-employment on Brokeback like Jack did and his parting words to Jack were not encouraging.

After four unbearable years of being apart, the reunion clearly released a lot of powerful emotions. But the fact that Annie Proulx points to Jack's visible trembling three times in quick succession caught my attention and had me wondering what more she was trying to say.

All you Jacks, be patient with us Ennises--we're not as in touch with our feelings!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 02:30:37 PM by eviegirl »
Let 'er rip and snort boys