The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Reunion  (Read 1039084 times)

Offline danac

• Camp Tender
  • Obsessed
  • She Got Lucky...
Re: Scene: The Reunion
« Reply #660 on: March 16, 2006, 05:41:56 AM »
Ok, so I am obsessed with the reunion scene.. I admit it!  :) Anyway, I was watching it for the miilienth time today and you know what was so cute? Just before Ennis runs out the door, we see Jack getting out of his truck, walking towards the stairs slowly, hands in his pockets and head down. Then Ennis runs out and yells "Jack F*&#$" Twist!" and we see him start smiling and almost running towards the stairs, arms open and head up. He must have been so nervous. If I were him I would have been thinking that I would go to Ennis's and knock on the door and meet his wife and kids and maybe stay for dinner... he had no idea that Ennis was watching for him or even that he wanted to carry on their relationship. (that "you bet" postcard was not a love letter by any means!)  Imagine how his heart must have been pounding as he got closer and closer to Riverton. I also think of Ennis. Who knows how long it was between the time he recieved the postcard and Jack's arrival? He probably couldn't sleep well the night before and maybe got up early just in case Jack was early and you can tell he combed his hair so neatly... too cute. Even though they did not get their  ultimate 'happily ever after', I like to think that, in this moment, they got more than most people ever have . It was a brief 'happily ever after'. 

THAT'S VERY NICELY PUT, MOONBEAM.
I, TOO, HAVE PLAYED THIS SCENE ABOUT A GAZILLION TIMES AND LOVE EVERY MOMENT. ESPECIALLY, FROM THE ACTOR'S CRAFT POV, IN THE KISS WHEN HEATH'S THUMB RUBS ACROSS JAKES'S BROW! OMIGOD. AND, LATER, WHEN HE BRUSHES JAKE'S BROW WITH HIS CHEEK! HOLY COW!!!
"This ain't no little thing that's happenin' here." Jack Twist

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
« Reply #661 on: March 16, 2006, 09:50:58 AM »

I read somewhere that Lee told them that if they didn't believe in the scene, neither would the audience.  They were fully present in that moment.

I also read that this is the first scene filmed between Jake and Heath.  Ang wanted it filmed first because he believed it was the lynchpin for their entire relationship and he said that if by the first day of filming Jake and Heath didn't know Jack and Ennis well enough to film this scene then the movie wouldn't work.  Obviously they nailed it! 
Common response to Lost: UGH! I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, LOST! (But then I come back for a hug, because who am I kidding?)--Therese O'Dell

"True love is friendship set on fire."--French proverb

"If you're not yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them."--Reese Witherspoon

Offline HazelEyedRaven

• Expert
« Reply #662 on: March 16, 2006, 07:06:35 PM »

I read somewhere that Lee told them that if they didn't believe in the scene, neither would the audience.  They were fully present in that moment.

I also read that this is the first scene filmed between Jake and Heath.  Ang wanted it filmed first because he believed it was the lynchpin for their entire relationship and he said that if by the first day of filming Jake and Heath didn't know Jack and Ennis well enough to film this scene then the movie wouldn't work.  Obviously they nailed it! 

Ditto on that.  They nailed it.  It is defining of the movie.
Tell you what.....truth is.....sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline vadour

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #663 on: March 16, 2006, 07:44:16 PM »
Ok, so I am obsessed with the reunion scene.. I admit it!  :) Anyway, I was watching it for the miilienth time today and you know what was so cute? Just before Ennis runs out the door, we see Jack getting out of his truck, walking towards the stairs slowly, hands in his pockets and head down. Then Ennis runs out and yells "Jack F*&#$" Twist!" and we see him start smiling and almost running towards the stairs, arms open and head up. He must have been so nervous. If I were him I would have been thinking that I would go to Ennis's and knock on the door and meet his wife and kids and maybe stay for dinner... he had no idea that Ennis was watching for him or even that he wanted to carry on their relationship. (that "you bet" postcard was not a love letter by any means!)  Imagine how his heart must have been pounding as he got closer and closer to Riverton. I also think of Ennis. Who knows how long it was between the time he recieved the postcard and Jack's arrival? He probably couldn't sleep well the night before and maybe got up early just in case Jack was early and you can tell he combed his hair so neatly... too cute. Even though they did not get their  ultimate 'happily ever after', I like to think that, in this moment, they got more than most people ever have . It was a brief 'happily ever after'. 

I, TOO, HAVE PLAYED THIS SCENE ABOUT A GAZILLION TIMES AND LOVE EVERY MOMENT. ESPECIALLY, FROM THE ACTOR'S CRAFT POV, IN THE KISS WHEN HEATH'S THUMB RUBS ACROSS JAKES'S BROW! OMIGOD. AND, LATER, WHEN HE BRUSHES JAKE'S BROW WITH HIS CHEEK! HOLY COW!!!

Didja notice how, after he rubbed his thumb across his brow, he moved his hand back to caress his ear? All these little details! Someone on these forums described that scene as "full-bore Ennis".... imagine the heat of the passion later in the motel room?

*sound of heavy breathing and sweat dripping on keyboard*

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
« Reply #664 on: March 16, 2006, 08:08:57 PM »

Didja notice how, after he rubbed his thumb across his brow, he moved his hand back to caress his ear? All these little details! Someone on these forums described that scene as "full-bore Ennis".... imagine the heat of the passion later in the motel room?

I know!  I want to make my husband go to acting class so he can BE Ennis in that scene.  Yowza!  :D
Common response to Lost: UGH! I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, LOST! (But then I come back for a hug, because who am I kidding?)--Therese O'Dell

"True love is friendship set on fire."--French proverb

"If you're not yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them."--Reese Witherspoon

Offline mwp2paris

• Official Ambassador of Slash
  • Obsessed
  • Get on in there and untangle them Slashettes.
« Reply #665 on: March 16, 2006, 08:26:26 PM »
Four years of pent up love and longing...though to Ennis it was probably characterized as something else; the teapot ready to boil over as he flips the lighter open and closed; the beginnings of sadness, that perhaps what he thought would happen is not to be; then the sound of the approaching truck; that look he gives has he gazes out of the window at his other half; the hands banging on the railing at the top of the stairs and that ear-to-ear grin of delight and anticipation; the "Jack Fuck'n Twist" declaration; Jack, his thumbs in his belt, looking a bit unsure of what to expect, but none the less hopeful; then the scramble down, the furtive look, the pulling into what was thought to be hidden sactuary...and then the unleashing of it all...

And the whispered "later" from Ennis as they collect themselves and head up the stairs.

A gem among gems in this diamond of a movie.
[...he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream. ... If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.  Annie Proulx

Offline Fafner

• Virgin
« Reply #666 on: March 16, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »
I have been wondering how they were able to get together in the motel in Riverton.  Riverton was a small town, and I, myself, have sometimes wanted to 'get a room' in a motel, but I wouldn't dare in a town as small as Riverton. I have not been able to find any discussion about this anywhere.

Offline David G

• Obsessed
« Reply #667 on: March 16, 2006, 10:12:29 PM »
I have been wondering how they were able to get together in the motel in Riverton.  Riverton was a small town, and I, myself, have sometimes wanted to 'get a room' in a motel, but I wouldn't dare in a town as small as Riverton. I have not been able to find any discussion about this anywhere.

Seems easy enough to me.

All you have to do is drop off one guy out of the range of the motel. The other guy registers. After you have the room, signal the other guy to come to the room.

If you're careful and discreet, I can see anyone pull it off.

Offline moonbeam

• Expert
  • I am not addicted... ok, maybe I am!
« Reply #668 on: March 16, 2006, 10:47:31 PM »

I have said it before and I will say it again... this is the hottest scene I have ever seen in a movie... and to think that I used to think that Titanic was romantic (not that I don't still love it).. it just seems like such a long time since I have seen such an incredible portaryal of love in a film. I would rather watch the reunion scene than any full scale holloywood love scene anyday... but that is me, and I am a little obsessed!
"This would be alright. Jack would answer, had to answer"

Offline HazelEyedRaven

• Expert
« Reply #669 on: March 17, 2006, 12:29:05 AM »
ALRIGHT!  Now I gotta go watch it again!  It's driving me crazy!
Tell you what.....truth is.....sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline panorama

• Feet Wet
« Reply #670 on: March 17, 2006, 12:36:08 AM »

For all the people who have posted with their doubts that Jack knew how Ennis felt about him, I present exhibit A! Jack knew that for Ennis to take that kind of risk, to be so completely out of control, that he meant "I love you. I need you. I've missed you. And I can't WAIT to get you into bed!"

I totally agree! Ennis was a very closed man, but in this scene he totally lets go and initiates the kiss in the middle of the street! It's very risky and clearly a very strong message. The other scene that shows Ennis's love is on Brokeback when he hugs Jack from behind, hums & rocks him. That scene always makes my heart pound. I think there are many messages like this which show his love.

Offline fishinbuddy

• Experienced
« Reply #671 on: March 17, 2006, 01:04:10 AM »
I can SO relate to Jack trembling all over.  Four months after I met my first BF (and boy, was I head over heels) -  he went to Europe for 8 weeks - this trip had been in the works before we met and he couldn't back out and I couldnt' afford the time or money to go with him. When he finally returned and I looked out the window & saw him walking towards my door I started shaking and no way could I control it.  He thought it was endearing and I was glad, because I just couldn't stop trembling for the longest time.

Yes, with my Ennis, whenever we were in the same room, I couldn't stop sweating and trembling - the whole time I had him, both times, six years apart. Every single time we were in the same room, I couldn't stop. Damn his hide, where IS that man? Still waiting for round 3, seventeen years later.
When I feel that lonesome prairie wind, I let my soul get back to you again...I will never let you, I will never let you, I will NEVER let you go!

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #672 on: March 17, 2006, 05:09:57 AM »
In my latest viewing of the Reunion Scene, I think I caught something I had not heard and understood before.  I've been taken with Jacks immediate hunger for Ennis' mouth, he's halfway to heaven already once they have embraced - did I hear Ennis say "alright" before trotting him to the wall? and was this "alright" in agreement to Jacks hunger.  As in yes, this is what you want, I'll give it to you because I want it also. 

I have never heard E say "later" before they go up to Alma; always "hey". 

Also this time I was so aware of the sounds of Alma's breathing as well as that of the men.  And her little whimper of misery.
Annie speaks in the story of her "misery voice" = this is caught in the whimper.

After the initial embrace, when Jack's eyes are focused on Ennis's mouth, Ennis looks round, grabs hold of Jack and says "C'm'ere" as he starts to back him up to the wall.

And I definitely hear 'later' I also .. thanks to a clip on youtube that's very loud, hear Ennis say something before he tears himself away from Jack to go back up the stairs. The music hides what he says clearly, but it sounds something like "come here now" Which to me makes sense. He's telling Jack they'll continue this later but in the meantime they have to pull themselves together and go and speak to Alma!  ;D

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #673 on: March 17, 2006, 10:40:37 AM »
Well, BBM left my community last night after a two month run. How sweet that time was.  Perhaps I can get on with my life...at least until the DVD is released, then suspect the cycle will start over.  I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread or perhaps in another area where parallels are examined, but noticed this on my last viewing.  When Ennis and Jack are at the motel, Jack asks, "what are we gonna do now?" and Ennis replies that makin a living is about all he has time for now, etc.

If you recall, after the storm up on the mountain, and the sheep are mixed with another herd, it is Ennis who asks "What are we gonna do now, huh?" and it is Jack this time that answers, get on in there and untangle those Chiliean sheep from ours.

There as just so many fine, well thought out points to this movie that will put it on the same level of like the Wizard of Oz 50 years from now.  Just my prediction.
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #674 on: March 17, 2006, 09:35:27 PM »
I deleted several posts that were off topic and/or meant to be rude to other posters.

Please respect one another and please stay on topic!

You may PM one another with your thoughts rather than share them on the thread. That is the best course of action.

Thank you!