The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Reunion  (Read 1033959 times)

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
Re: Scene: The Reunion
« Reply #720 on: March 21, 2006, 01:49:08 AM »
And now a word from your sponsor!

ORDER THE DVD and help support our site

Just click on the link at the top of the news box to pre order the DVD through Amazon. If you buy it through the link on our site, Amazon will donate 6% back to us. They have it for the great price of $16.98, and if you order $25 or more you can get free shipping!

Also, anything you order from Amazon by clicking our link in the news box means we get 6% of your total order as a donation to the site. This is at no extra cost to you. If you have already ordered the DVD from Amazon, you can cancel the order at no cost to you and then reorder from the link in the news box. It is an easy and great way to support the site and our current and upcoming projects.

You can also send the link from the news box to any friends who want to order the DVD.

Please use the link in the news box (top of the page).

Thanks for your support!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:31:10 AM by peteinportland »

Offline danac

• Camp Tender
  • Obsessed
  • She Got Lucky...
« Reply #721 on: March 21, 2006, 10:19:43 AM »
Didja notice how, after he rubbed his thumb across his brow, he moved his hand back to caress his ear? All these little details! Someone on these forums described that scene as "full-bore Ennis".... imagine the heat of the passion later in the motel room?

Oh, yeah...love that whole thumb thing! Definitely, major chemistry at work in that scene.

*sound of heavy breathing and sweat dripping on keyboard*

I have said it before and I will say it again... this is the hottest scene I have ever seen in a movie... and to think that I used to think that Titanic was romantic (not that I don't still love it).. it just seems like such a long time since I have seen such an incredible portaryal of love in a film. I would rather watch the reunion scene than any full scale holloywood love scene anyday... but that is me, and I am a little obsessed!

I feel the same way.  What do we have to look forward to - love stories done Hollywood style?  I'm scared, and truthfully feel, that no other movie will come close to capturing the raw passion that can be felt between two people in love.

My friends wanted to see "Failure to Launch".  I tagged along.  I was so glad, in a way, that it was too packed to get 4 decent seats.  Such a shame!
"This ain't no little thing that's happenin' here." Jack Twist

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #722 on: March 21, 2006, 10:29:52 AM »
And now a word from your sponsor!

ORDER THE DVD and help support our site

Just click on the link at the top of the news box to pre order the DVD through Amazon. If you buy it through the link on our site, Amazon will donate 6% back to us. They have it for the great price of $16.98, and if you order $25 or more you can get free shipping!

Also, anything you order from Amazon by clicking our link in the news box means we get 6% of your total order as a donation to the site. This is at no extra cost to you. If you have already ordered the DVD from Amazon, you can cancel the order at no cost to you and then reorder from the link in the news box. It is an easy and great way to support the site and our current and upcoming projects.

You can also send the link from the news box to any friends who want to order the DVD.

Please use the link in the news box (top of the page).

Thanks for your support!

Hey, some of us must be listening to what pete is telling us! The BBM DVD has already moved on the Amazon best seller list from #16 to #9. Crash is still at #3, but it's selling for only $9.99 and BBM is $16.98.  How kewl is that?

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #723 on: March 21, 2006, 10:31:08 AM »
Sorry for the interruption - please resume talking about adjusting shirt tail and rubbing thumb across brow, etc., etc.

Offline danac

• Camp Tender
  • Obsessed
  • She Got Lucky...
« Reply #724 on: March 21, 2006, 10:42:07 AM »
Just watched this scene again for the gazillionth time...and just noticed that dead-on "he's mine now" look Jack gives Alma! That is too brilliant!
And, that moment when Ennis breaks from Jack and Jack's mouth is open, he looks totally verklempt and then looks after Ennis!!! Omigod!

How did these boys not win all the acting awards?

One of the levels on which I love this movie is that, at every viewing, there're little nuances in the performances that I see for the first time!

Offline City Girl

• I was a teenage Guamanian
  • Obsessed
  • the other half of Ennis' soul
« Reply #725 on: March 21, 2006, 10:52:39 AM »
Sorry for the interruption - please resume talking about adjusting shirt tail and rubbing thumb across brow, etc., etc.

Yes, yes I promise to buy the DVD as soon as I can tear myself away from this site.

And yes, yes, more shirt tail rubbing, thumb adjusting, ahemm, what I meant to say was... 

Also please don't forget the shirt pulling, ear fondling, mouth staring, face holding, forehead rubbing, slamming up against a wall outside stuff.  Oh and please can anyone see any tongue?

Thank you.  Now, please... proceed.
"He would have given anything. Anything. His new truck. His horses. Whole years of his life. Just to be able to stay right where he was in this threadbare little bedroom with its fake wood paneling, its cracked mirror, the bits of hay and horse shit tramped in on Ennis’s boots" Casual Match frayach

Offline City Girl

• Obsessed
« Reply #726 on: March 21, 2006, 11:05:23 AM »
Just watched this scene again for the gazillionth time...and just noticed that dead-on "he's mine now" look Jack gives Alma! That is too brilliant!
And, that moment when Ennis breaks from Jack and Jack's mouth is open, he looks totally verklempt and then looks after Ennis!!! Omigod!

How did these boys not win all the acting awards?

One of the levels on which I love this movie is that, at every viewing, there're little nuances in the performances that I see for the first time!

Yes, good for Jack.  I'm proud of him.  The man knows what belongs to him and the subject isn't even up for discussion.

BTW, he isn't the only one verklempt. 

How did these boys not win?   

Because certain voters of certain overblown, pretentious, self congratulatory organizations have their head up their a** is how, not tht I am bitter or anything.  Please don't get me started.
"He would have given anything. Anything. His new truck. His horses. Whole years of his life. Just to be able to stay right where he was in this threadbare little bedroom with its fake wood paneling, its cracked mirror, the bits of hay and horse shit tramped in on Ennis’s boots" Casual Match frayach

Offline Lfmamma

• Nnnnnnna
  • Obsessed
  • Less tired now ;)
« Reply #727 on: March 21, 2006, 11:06:23 AM »
It occurs to me that Jack doesn't think much of Alma.  That's why he's so flippant about criticizing her when they are out at the fire, "You and Alma?  That's a life?" AND why he doesn't understand why Ennis won't just up and leave her.  Maybe that dislike of her is part of that stare.  She's an obstacle between him and Ennis.

I think you're right about Jack not liking Alma. It's only natural, considering she has what Jack wants more than anything -- Ennis.

This scene is my favourite, and it is so powerful in so many ways. The passion of the reunion makes me gasp for air every time I see it (and I'm up to about 15 viewings, so I shouldn't be surprised anymore...). The relief in Jack when he realizes that Ennis has longed for this as much as he has. The pain it causes Alma when she sees her husband lose control like that - and doing it with another man. And I think you can see on Ennis' face that he knows he is hurting her, but he can't make himself care about it, because Jack is all that matters.

Everytime I watch BBM I walk out with an aching stomach and a slight headache, because I can't stop myself from feeling everything the characters in the movie are feeling, and the aching ALWAYS starts at the moment when Alma is looking out the door. She's dressed up in nice clothes, and she's curious about her husband's friend  - probably because Ennis usually doesn't bring friends home. And what she finds outside her door is so completely foreign to her, that she can't seem to grasp it.

The marvellous acting by all actors in this movie is just one of the (million reasons) why I love BBM. What's so great about it is that you don't really see Heath or Jake acting - you see Ennis and Jack. Period. (BAFTA got it right.  ;))

Offline danac

• Camp Tender
  • Obsessed
  • She Got Lucky...
« Reply #728 on: March 21, 2006, 11:34:55 AM »
City Girl, you're too right...and I shouldn't get started but, honestly, I have a hard time even talking to anyone who even slightly derides this film or minimizes it's impact and sheer artistry.

By the way, what city? New York?
If so, we should meet for a Brokeaholics gab at Sweet Melissa in Brooklyn...it's in Heath's neighborhood, just coincidentally. LOL

Offline City Girl

• Obsessed
« Reply #729 on: March 21, 2006, 12:25:09 PM »
City Girl, you're too right...and I shouldn't get started but, honestly, I have a hard time even talking to anyone who even slightly derides this film or minimizes it's impact and sheer artistry.

By the way, what city? New York?
If so, we should meet for a Brokeaholics gab at Sweet Melissa in Brooklyn...it's in Heath's neighborhood, just coincidentally. LOL

Heath's neighborhood?...  OMG, you guys are in Heath's neighborhood? 

I need a moment.

Ok, I'm back.  Alas, I am on the left coast in San Francisco.  Bummer...  Otherwise, I'd love to meet up with you all, it would be nice to meet up with someone else with a brain in their heads.  Know what you mean about not being able to talk to unenlightened.  I've become mean, nasty, and downright rude about it. 

Offline danac

• Camp Tender
  • Obsessed
  • She Got Lucky...
« Reply #730 on: March 21, 2006, 03:16:24 PM »

I need a moment.

Ok, I'm back.  Alas, I am on the left coast in San Francisco.  Bummer...  Otherwise, I'd love to meet up with you all, it would be nice to meet up with someone else with a brain in their heads.  Know what you mean about not being able to talk to unenlightened.  I've become mean, nasty, and downright rude about it. 

Well, I'm in Manhattan and he's in Brooklyn but it's only a train ride away - like 15 minutes. And, he goes to Sweet Melissa all the time...well, he might not anymore since it's being plastered all over the internet! Oh dear.

Offline moonbeam

• Expert
  • I am not addicted... ok, maybe I am!
« Reply #731 on: March 21, 2006, 03:17:31 PM »

Yes, yes I promise to buy the DVD as soon as I can tear myself away from this site.

And yes, yes, more shirt tail rubbing, thumb adjusting, ahemm, what I meant to say was... 

Also please don't forget the shirt pulling, ear fondling, mouth staring, face holding, forehead rubbing, slamming up against a wall outside stuff.  Oh and please can anyone see any tongue?

omg... has there ever been a hotter scene in film history?  I didn't see any tongue... but seriously, CityGirl... could we have handled it? If that reunion got any hotter I think they would have found me passed out in the movie aisle..  :o
"This would be alright. Jack would answer, had to answer"

Offline City Girl

• Obsessed
« Reply #732 on: March 21, 2006, 03:34:39 PM »

omg... has there ever been a hotter scene in film history?  I didn't see any tongue... but seriously, CityGirl... could we have handled it? If that reunion got any hotter I think they would have found me passed out in the movie aisle..  :o

No, there has never been a hotter scene ever, anywhere in the history of film.  Ever.  I'm only going to say it one more time, Ever.

Could we have handled it if either of us had a reunion like that after a 4-year separation with the love of our life, who just happens to look like either Ennis or Jack?  Don't know 'bout you but, I'm thinkin' I would have passed out right there in the stairwell/hidey place.  But, I'm willing to give it a go.  You know, for a purely scientific a purpose that is.

Too bad no tongue.  Ah well, a girl can dream...

Offline City Girl

• Obsessed
« Reply #733 on: March 21, 2006, 03:37:31 PM »

I need a moment.

Ok, I'm back.  Alas, I am on the left coast in San Francisco.  Bummer...  Otherwise, I'd love to meet up with you all, it would be nice to meet up with someone else with a brain in their head.  Know what you mean about not being able to talk to unenlightened.  I've become mean, nasty, and downright rude about it. 

Well, I'm in Manhattan and he's in Brooklyn but it's only a train ride away - like 15 minutes. And, he goes to Sweet Melissa all the time...well, he might not anymore since it's being plastered all over the internet! Oh dear.

15 minutes... so close and yet so far.

Offline moonbeam

• Expert
  • I am not addicted... ok, maybe I am!
« Reply #734 on: March 21, 2006, 03:49:33 PM »
  You know, for a purely scientific a purpose that is...

wow. When you get your award for dedication to science, please dedicate to Brokeaholics everywhere.. :D  p.s.- I meant "could we handle seeing any tongue in that scene?" 
"This would be alright. Jack would answer, had to answer"