The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Reunion  (Read 1038895 times)

Offline bookgirl

• Feet Wet
    • My Live Journal
Re: Scene: The Reunion
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2006, 11:09:18 PM »

"Normal" people are going to miss a lot of the imagery.

Thank God there are no "Normal" people here  ;D

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2006, 11:15:49 PM »
Damn you Dot and IJSE...I haven't cried in several days (since viewing #7 on Wed). Now , you guys go an make me sniffle with the descriptions of the nuzzle and Ennis not taking his eyes off Jack. Damn, damn, damn. *reaches for the kleenex*

Offline crcj

• Experienced
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2006, 12:39:49 AM »
I did not feel this scene was one of my favorites the first time I saw the movie.  After going a second time, I am so much more appreciative of the work done to make this scene stand out.

The sheer power of Ennis' emotion is important.  In the short story, he utters some dialogue that makes us understand how much he has missed Jack and how he already knows he screwed up by letting Jack get away in the first place.  These lines are not incorporated into the movie.  So, it was nice to be more aware tonight that they are included in the actions of the scene.

It is one of the only times where we see Ennis totally out of control, as someone else has mentioned.  I love that.  He is the initiator of the intimacy and he cannot get close enough to Jack.  The power of his actions communicates so clearly how he has been feeling, and the sense of joy at overcoming what he thought was a permanently lost opportunity to have Jack in his life.

The scene still tears out my heart later when they are on the riverbank and Jack talks about them having a real life together.  Jake delivers that sequence with such beautiful understanding of it.  I love when Ennis gets ready to tell him no, and actually moves into Jack.  He moves closer to try and protect the connection between the two of them even though he knows Jack will not like what he is going to hear.

The whole sequence of reunion activities is the key to this section of the movie.  It sets up the ongoing clash of desire and longing with the practical realities of Ennis' ability to step outside his fears and take a chance.  The first section of the movie is anchored by night two in the tent, and the third section of the movie is anchored by their fight on their last day together.  But this sets the whole tone of the movie in a beautiful arc over the span of 5-10 minutes.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2006, 10:27:54 AM »

"Normal" people are going to miss a lot of the imagery.

Thank God there are no "Normal" people here  ;D

Amen Sistah!

lol.

"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2006, 05:38:37 PM »

The scene still tears out my heart later when they are on the riverbank and Jack talks about them having a real life together.  Jake delivers that sequence with such beautiful understanding of it.  I love when Ennis gets ready to tell him no, and actually moves into Jack.  He moves closer to try and protect the connection between the two of them even though he knows Jack will not like what he is going to hear.

I just returned from viewing number....no, I'm not going to tell you...to embarrassed...but the scene by the river is so important...when Jack asks Ennis, as he is gazing into the starry sky..."anything new up there in Heaven?..."and Ennis, his look is one of utter peace and all the sorrow of his life is gone for a moment and he is smiling and says..."just sending up a prayer of thanks..." well, I can tell all of you I lost it again....Jack says "for what?" and as usuall, Ennis's brain doesn't let his heart talk and says.."for you forgeting to bring that Harmonica, I'm enjoying the peace and quiet"...I'm sorry but Heath should get the Oscar for that moment...absolutely flawless...his whole body and smile says what a thousand words could not...he is finally in the place and with the person he is supposed to be there with...I think that THIS is Ennis's moment. Jack has the "dozy embrace" by the fire...I think this moment for Ennis out of any other is his  "single moment of artless,charmed happiness..." just blows me away this film....

Todd

"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline Vince

• Feet Wet
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2006, 11:10:50 PM »

II'm sorry but Heath should get the Oscar for that moment...absolutely flawless...his whole body and smile says what a thousand words could not...he is finally in the place and with the person he is supposed to be there with...I think that THIS is Ennis's moment. Jack has the "dozy embrace" by the fire...I think this moment for Ennis out of any other is his  "single moment of artless,charmed happiness..." just blows me away this film....

That look of intense satisfaction and happiness Ledger brings to this scene is amazing.
Tent don't look right.

Offline Ross:Broken

• Obsessed
  • If you don't like it, fix it.
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2006, 09:20:01 AM »
I think that THIS is Ennis's moment. Jack has the "dozy embrace" by the fire...I think this moment for Ennis out of any other is his  "single moment of artless,charmed happiness..." just blows me away this film....

Todd

Wow, Todd, that is great...I never thought it that way.  This is Ennis' own "dozy embrace," where he feels totally at ease, inhaling every moment of happiness and contentment, the rest of his world is light years away.  I just saw the movie again yesterday and boy, I love this part.  Oh man, here I go again...  :'(
...got me good.

• Obsessed
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2006, 09:34:34 AM »
I know I've commented on this scene numerous times, analyised it to the nth degree, frame by frame in some instances.  But I saw the movie [again] Saturday, and this scene gave me another reason to like it.  When Ennis comes down the stairs and hugs Jack, and then they break apart, I'm still absolutely gobsmacked by Jack's eyes going straight to Ennis' mouth and staying there.  Jack doesn't see Ennis look around to see if the coast is clear per se, but when Ennis starts walking him backwards, his hands holding Jack by the collar of his vest....  The look on Jack's face is priceless.  It's open shock and amazement and (fear?).  Right to the point he slams back against the wall and Ennis' mouth comes down on his.

Just perfection.

Lovesit!

I knew there was more than one reason I am on this board all the time.  I love all the little details people point out that elude me during my viewings.  Alerted by ImJackshesEnnis and others, I've been obsessively watching Jack staring at Ennis mouth on one of the French site clips, which I love.  But seeing the movie again yesterday, I finally focused on his OUTRAGEOUS reaction to Ennis' grab-n-kiss.  God, Jake, the look of utter "Am I dreaming?  Pinch me, I must be dreaming" is priceless.  Evertime I see this movie, I appreciate Jake's performance more and more...he is just superb.
...got me good.

• Obsessed
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2006, 09:48:23 AM »
One little detail that I love from the book is that Ennis has put on his best shirt on the day that Jack arrives Surely Alma must have noticed that there was something out of the ordinary going on!

I suppose it would have been difficult to portray that in the film - it would have needed a bit of dialogue from Alma to comment on it or a bit where Ennis is asking where his best shirt is.

But I just think that it so sweet - dresssing up for his man!

I love that detail in the book.  But Ennis' fidgeting and impatience as he waits for Jack gets the point across just as well for me!

Plus, he does tuck in his nice shirt before running out to his man...so we know he cares!
...got me good.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2006, 10:48:30 AM »
...and right before they come upstairs to Alma, right before they get in, Ennis wipes his mouth with his sleeve to wipe away any hint of Jack...detail upon detail....

Todd

• Obsessed
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2006, 11:00:19 AM »
There is so much to drink in in this scene...so many tiny meaningful details...one reason I cannot WAIT for the DVD.  I love the way the boys are so bug-eyed and jumpy as they are talking to Alma...they cannot WAIT to get to that hotel and finish that kiss.  I remember the first time I saw the movie, I could not BELIEVE that kiss...wow...Ennis, damn!  You bet, indeed!

This is the only movie I have ever seen where, upon walking out of the theater (and after composing myself), I said to my friends, "I cannot wait for this to come out on DVD."
...got me good.

Offline crcj

• Experienced
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2006, 11:25:34 AM »
A small deviation in this scene from story to movie seems somewhat important.  Until you really watch the kissing and clutching when they see each other.

Someone already pointed out that in the book, Jack bounds up the stairs and initiates the embrace.  In the movie, Ennis comes running down the stairs, and he initiates the embrace and then initiates the out-of-control passion that has been trapped inside of him for four years.

Why is that nuance important?  In the book, when they are at the motel and are laying with each other talking, Jack asks if Ennis thought they would get back into all this.  He says he didn't and then laughs.  "Hell yes I did.  I red-lined it all the way to get here as fast as I could."  He then asks Ennis again what he thought.  In the book, Ennis is very forth-coming.  He tells Jack about the day four years earlier that they parted.  About nearly vomiting and feeling lost.  He tells Jack, "It took me nearly a year to figure out that I never should have let you out of my sight."

This is such a key moment of the book.  It is suddenly clear to the reader that Ennis and Jack are not just coming back together out of lust.  They both have realized the summer on the mountain was life changing.

In the movie, Ennis mumbles, "I don't know," in answer to the question.  There is no clear connection for the viewer that he was longing for this day and that he recognized the summer on the mountain was so important.

So, the fact Ennis initiates the contact at the bottom of the stairs became critical in my opinion.

Offline sotoalf

• Obsessed
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2006, 11:46:05 AM »
A small deviation in this scene from story to movie seems somewhat important.  Until you really watch the kissing and clutching when they see each other.

Someone already pointed out that in the book, Jack bounds up the stairs and initiates the embrace.  In the movie, Ennis comes running down the stairs, and he initiates the embrace and then initiates the out-of-control passion that has been trapped inside of him for four years.

Why is that nuance important?  In the book, when they are at the motel and are laying with each other talking, Jack asks if Ennis thought they would get back into all this.  He says he didn't and then laughs.  "Hell yes I did.  I red-lined it all the way to get here as fast as I could."  He then asks Ennis again what he thought.  In the book, Ennis is very forth-coming.  He tells Jack about the day four years earlier that they parted.  About nearly vomiting and feeling lost.  He tells Jack, "It took me nearly a year to figure out that I never should have let you out of my sight."

This is such a key moment of the book.  It is suddenly clear to the reader that Ennis and Jack are not just coming back together out of lust.  They both have realized the summer on the mountain was life changing.

In the movie, Ennis mumbles, "I don't know," in answer to the question.  There is no clear connection for the viewer that he was longing for this day and that he recognized the summer on the mountain was so important.

So, the fact Ennis initiates the contact at the bottom of the stairs became critical in my opinion.

True, but we do see Ennis' skittishness as he waits for Jack; and when Jack's truck pulls out the slow smile that snakes across his face  tells us everything we need to know.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2006, 12:05:47 PM »

Also, pay very close attention to Heath Ledgers face during the answring of "how bout you" there are about 20 different answers he gives...and as usual, Ennis cant say what he feels...so "I don't know", the way its delivered... such a mixture of 4 years of feeling for Ennis,,,almost to much for him to comment on... I also think, and its been said before, if Ennis in the movie was as forthcoming as Ennis in the book in this scene, I don't think people would get it that Ennis wouldn't just run off with Jack...

Todd

"...you may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity."

• Obsessed
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »

Very true.  That Ennis takes the initiative with the approach, the embrace and the kiss takes the "place" of the heartfelt confession that got left out of the movie.  It's not just lust and it's not just Jack pursuing Ennis: Ennis has been feeling every bit of love and loss that Jack has in those 4 years.

I didn't realize that Jack initiates the embrace in the book (I'll be buying it this week).  I sure would have loved to have seen Ennis make that "confession" on screen...or call Jack his "little darlin'"...sigh...
...got me good.