The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Reunion  (Read 1034275 times)

Offline Elin

• Getting Acquainted
Re: Scene: The Reunion
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2006, 12:47:45 PM »
I love that short intake of breath Ennis makes when he sees Jack through the window. It's so obvious how much Ennis has longed for this moment. He's like a child on Christmas eve.

Offline Ross:Broken

• Obsessed
  • If you don't like it, fix it.
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2006, 12:58:32 PM »
I love that short intake of breath Ennis makes when he sees Jack through the window. It's so obvious how much Ennis has longed for this moment. He's like a child on Christmas eve.

You never see that look on his face in any of the other 133 minutes of that film.  It's a one-of-a-kind moment for him.  ;)
...got me good.

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2006, 02:27:23 PM »
I have yet to see the film here in England but I've seen as much as there is to offer online (so I half feel like I've seen it!)  and looking earlier today at screen caps from the actual film for the first time (where previously they were just from the LOGO special) I saw something Im curious about, so can someone please enlighten me?

There were three pictures of Ennis in what looked like pyjama bottoms and a vest and he was walking out of a distant room towards the camera (as it were) into a bedroom, sitting on the side of a bed, that's near the door,  back to the camera. Was this the motel room? The walls looked brownish, it wasn't a light room. You don't see anyone else and he could have been at home I suppose, but as I've never seen any mention or pics of this moment I'd like to know what it is! And they were put up near the reunion pics so ... I was just curious.

All I've ever read about the motel room scene is that people say you see them in bed after ... whatever they did! But no one ever mentions them doing anything else in the motel room that involves them being OUT of bed, so that makes me think it must be from somewhere else. In fact it must be from somewhere else cos he wouldn't need anything to wear in bed with Jack!  ;D

So I thought asking was the only way to find out! I'm still curious to know what scene it is.

Also, when they do reunite and they are kissing on the stairwell ... is anything said as they stop the kissing and go upstairs? I think I read somewhere that Ennis says something simple like 'come on' to inidicate they have to go ...  but I just wondered if anything was said about what they were gonna do after seeing Alma? Or is that one of those things never spoken and they just left?

It'll all be so much clearer when I've seen the film for myself!  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 02:32:32 PM by ellye »

Offline adamblast

• Obsessed
  • that's where our hearts both belong
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2006, 02:35:54 PM »
ellye, the brief clip you're speaking of--Ennis walking through a doorway wearing pajama bottoms and a tank-top (to use the American vernacular)--occurs in early footage of Ennis and Alma's marriage, right before their first bed scene. He's just put the 2 little girls to bed, and Alma is about to try to talk him into moving.

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2006, 02:40:58 PM »
ellye, the brief clip you're speaking of--Ennis walking through a doorway wearing pajama bottoms and a tank-top (to use the American vernacular)--occurs in early footage of Ennis and Alma's marriage, right before their first bed scene. He's just put the 2 little girls to bed, and Alma is about to try to talk him into moving.

Thank you.  :)  Must say, from the pics he didn't look too happy so it was more likely to be a scene with Alma rather than Jack - as far as the reunion went, anyway!  :D

• Obsessed
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2006, 02:42:48 PM »
I have yet to see the film here in England but I've seen as much as there is to offer online (so I half feel like I've seen it!)  and looking earlier today at screen caps from the actual film for the first time (where previously they were just from the LOGO special) I saw something Im curious about, so can someone please enlighten me?

There were three pictures of Ennis in what looked like pyjama bottoms and a vest and he was walking out of a distant room towards the camera (as it were) into a bedroom, sitting on the side of a bed, that's near the door,  back to the camera. Was this the motel room? The walls looked brownish, it wasn't a light room. You don't see anyone else and he could have been at home I suppose, but as I've never seen any mention or pics of this moment I'd like to know what it is! And they were put up near the reunion pics so ... I was just curious.

All I've ever read about the motel room scene is that people say you see them in bed after ... whatever they did! But no one ever mentions them doing anything else in the motel room that involves them being OUT of bed, so that makes me think it must be from somewhere else. In fact it must be from somewhere else cos he wouldn't need anything to wear in bed with Jack!  ;D

So I thought asking was the only way to find out! I'm still curious to know what scene it is.

Also, when they do reunite and they are kissing on the stairwell ... is anything said as they stop the kissing and go upstairs? I think I read somewhere that Ennis says something simple like 'come on' to inidicate they have to go ...  but I just wondered if anything was said about what they were gonna do after seeing Alma? Or is that one of those things never spoken and they just left?

It'll all be so much clearer when I've seen the film for myself!  :)

Ellye, if you are sure you want all these questions answered before seeing the movie, here goes!

I'm guessing the pyjama bottom pics are from the beginning of a love scene with Alma (I will NOT reveal what happens in that scene!).  Ennis is in his (incredibly cute) pyjama bottoms and a "wifebeater" t-shirt (plain white tank top...I think you call them singlets?).  FYI - He looks extra hot in this scene.

In the reunion scene, there's a lot of kissing, some nuzzling and the "come on" but that's it.  They just know.   :)

I'm excited for you to be seeing the movie...you will love it!
...got me good.

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2006, 03:19:35 PM »
One little detail that I love from the book is that Ennis has put on his best shirt on the day that Jack arrives Surely Alma must have noticed that there was something out of the ordinary going on!

I suppose it would have been difficult to portray that in the film - it would have needed a bit of dialogue from Alma to comment on it or a bit where Ennis is asking where his best shirt is.

But I just think that it so sweet - dresssing up for his man!

What is funny (as another poster has pointed out) is the dialogue where Ennis tells Alma they may be out all night "...when we get to drinkin' and talkin' and all..." since we all know that Ennis is SO talkative.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 03:21:06 PM by David »
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

• Obsessed
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2006, 03:34:09 PM »
What is funny (as another poster has pointed out) is the dialogue where Ennis tells Alma they may be out all night "...when we get to drinkin' and talkin' and all..." since we all know that Ennis is SO talkative.

I remember reading that a few weeks ago...a great and hilarious observation!
...got me good.

Offline muse

• Feet Wet
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2006, 06:01:31 PM »
something that i wish was a little different in the motel scene: i wish they were looking at eachother when they were talking.  now, i love this movie and am not truly complaining. just wondering if anyone else had any ideas about why they don't look at eachother at all  during the whole motel exchange.
"...in a slow-motion, but headlong, irreversible fall."

Offline Scott88

• Experienced
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2006, 06:11:02 PM »
Ang's shooting of the scene (up-close, tight shot) emphasized Ennis's own torment.  When he starts going on about how he's "stuck with what [he's] got", Heath captures this brilliantly.  Throughout the film, Ennis is shown to be hesistant in making eye contact.  This would especially be true when he's being honest about the state of his life, as we see here.  Such honesty would make him feel particularly vulnerable.

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2006, 07:06:08 PM »
I love that short intake of breath Ennis makes when he sees Jack through the window.

"A hot jolt scalded Ennis" says Annie Proulx, and Heath lets you see it.

Dal
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2006, 08:13:49 PM »
Ang's shooting of the scene (up-close, tight shot) emphasized Ennis's own torment.  When he starts going on about how he's "stuck with what [he's] got", Heath captures this brilliantly.  Throughout the film, Ennis is shown to be hesistant in making eye contact.  This would especially be true when he's being honest about the state of his life, as we see here.  Such honesty would make him feel particularly vulnerable.

Scott, I agree. The look on Ledger's face, when he says "Makin' a livin' is about all I got time for," is astounding. The pain and inner torment are written all over his face...no words are really necessary.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2006, 09:01:05 PM »
If I remember correctly, David, he has the hint of tears in his eyes during that line. Plus, he almost rubs poor Jack's arm raw while he is talking.

• Obsessed
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2006, 09:10:41 PM »
Although his reaction is slightly different, you can see the same pain when Jack talks about the "sweet life" they could have at the fire the next night.  Although Ennis' words are unequivocally dead set against it and leave no room for interpretation, as Jack is describing his vision, Ennis keeps looking off to the side, almost as if he can envision the life Jack is describing...and he keeps looking back, almost to snap himself back to reality, almost as if he fears that if he looks off to the side for too long, he might actually see it and believe it.  Heartbreaking.
...got me good.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2006, 09:19:04 PM »
If I remember correctly, David, he has the hint of tears in his eyes during that line. Plus, he almost rubs poor Jack's arm raw while he is talking.

True.....Ive never seen an actor express such deep , deep feelings so close up...he hardly speaks, but what his face does gives it away for the audience...like when Jack says "how bout you" and all the pain and frustration of the past 4 years and the joy he feels at that moment fly across Ledgers face like wind whipped clouds... and all he says is " i don't know"...brilliant
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."