The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Reunion  (Read 1034304 times)

Offline chaya

• Experienced
Re: Scene: The Reunion
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2006, 09:38:20 PM »
something that i wish was a little different in the motel scene: i wish they were looking at eachother when they were talking.  now, i love this movie and am not truly complaining. just wondering if anyone else had any ideas about why they don't look at eachother at all  during the whole motel exchange.

I think it's Ennis, still not totally comfortable being face-to-face with Jack in such an intimate setting. It's just so difficult for him to let down his defenses. It also reinforces the idea that he's not ready to "face" their situation, to make any changes in his life for Jack.
"Three puppies belonging to one of the blue heelers went in a pack basket, the runt inside Jack's coat, for he loved a little dog." Annie Proulx, BBM

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline chaya

• Experienced
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2006, 09:42:19 PM »
Dee, I counted today. He had six beers while waiting for his little darlin.

omg. Pete. I bow to you. THAT is the [current] epitome of obsessive.

LOL!!!! I just saw the movie again and I counted too!  4 on the front table, 2 on the side table, and one in his hand.  Now THAT'S obsessive!!!! Somebody stop me.

I love the part where he takes a drag off of his cigarette and immediately downs some beer. He coughs and just about spits it all out. He's a mess of nerves and anticipation!
"Three puppies belonging to one of the blue heelers went in a pack basket, the runt inside Jack's coat, for he loved a little dog." Annie Proulx, BBM

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline brokebackLJ

• Expert
  • never give up on the good times
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2006, 10:43:56 PM »
I watched this scene, and only this scene last night, and I cried.
It was so beautiful to see them re connect after four years. What was even more beautiful was how Jack expected to just say "Hi friend" and hug and go off. Ennis is the one who grabs him and throws him against the wall...the look on Jack's face, at that point (and my icon) changes to this expression of pure passion, sadness, excitment, joy...everything. His expression epitomizes the movie for me. He sees, I think, that Ennis is madly in love with him, like Jack is. And he doesn't have to pretend anymore. He realized it for the first time...
I've said this a few times before, and will say it here, Ennis is the first man in Jack's life to accept him and love him for who he is, not who he pretends to be. That's such a god damn beautiful thing.
I'm sure it's been said before, but damn it, it shakes my soul.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2006, 12:32:14 AM »
Dee, I forgot about the one in his hand!!  :D

Brokebacklj, I haven't been teary eyed for a couple of days. What cha trying to do to me, eh? Your icon is BOOTEFUL...that look on Jack's face.

richardL

« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2006, 12:56:01 AM »
Hey BrokebackLJ .. I've just read yr post and I'm in floods again too.
Rich

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2006, 09:12:36 AM »

I've said this a few times before, and will say it here, Ennis is the first man in Jack's life to accept him and love him for who he is, not who he pretends to be. That's such a god damn beautiful thing.

And even more visa versa--Jack is the first and maybe only person in Ennis's life who fully accepts him for who he is...and in return, Ennis can truly be himself--dry humor, physicality, and warts and bumps and fears.

I thought it was a strong acting/directing choice to have Ennis, even in his joy, look around nervously before planting one on Jack. But personally, I prefer the way the book describes it--the "hot jolt" and Ennis being so impulsively joyous to see Jack that he even actually gets caught by Alma. However, I can see where it made sense for the Heath version of Ennis.

Even better than the kissing is afterwards, when we see Ennis struggle to regain control of himself, clutching Jack's head lovingly, then having to get ready to introduce to Alma....and that brief polite exchange about sons and daughters when they're probably trying to hide their, er...excitement.. ;D

It makes it almost all the harder to watch Alma's pain and shock, because it's such a contrast to the happiness of the reunion...*sigh* just like life--always mottled with conflict.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »
something that i wish was a little different in the motel scene: i wish they were looking at eachother when they were talking.  now, i love this movie and am not truly complaining. just wondering if anyone else had any ideas about why they don't look at eachother at all  during the whole motel exchange.

I think it's Ennis, still not totally comfortable being face-to-face with Jack in such an intimate setting. It's just so difficult for him to let down his defenses. It also reinforces the idea that he's not ready to "face" their situation, to make any changes in his life for Jack.

Don't forget that Ennis is in a very submissive position in the motel scene...being cradled by Jack, laying on Jacks chest, Jack being higher, more dominant...arm protectivly around Ennis... Ennis rubbing his arm...I think it shows how comfortable he is...how gloriously right everything is when he is around Jack...like when he pulls Jack on top of him in the second tent scene...theres nobody for Ennis but Jack...and every time Jack speaks about them both, he turns his head to take in the smell of Ennis and to rub his face in his hair...ok, I gotta stop... ;)

Todd
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline martinzp

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2006, 09:48:31 AM »
Hello to all of you guys !!

Is it possible to get a copy of the first night inside the tent ?
You may send it to my e-mail address:
martinz1964@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot in advance !!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS!  email is promasallc at yahoo

plc,
Will email the scene to you tonight after I get off work....

Offline Radha

• Experienced
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2006, 10:15:12 AM »

martinz1964@yahoo.com

Martin,
Will email it to you tonight...

Offline martinzp

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2006, 12:19:45 PM »
I really appreciate your help Radha.
You are such a cool guy. Thanks a lot!

martinz1964@yahoo.com

Martin,
Will email it to you tonight...

Offline Danny

• Feet Wet
  • ...mines developed a "low startle point"
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2006, 12:20:35 PM »
I HAD NOT REALLY PUT MY FINGER ON EXACTLY but then I read this on the Oprah Winfree message board.  I of course found Jake and Heath ATTRACTIVE as many people on here but that was about it.... and here is why....

"For example, in a Hollywood film in which Brad and Angelina strip down and do it for 20 seconds (a long time) in front of a fireplace or a lot of candles, you may be wishing you were with Brad, or wishing you were with Angelina. In "Brokeback Mountain," even though I find both actors attractive, I never for a single moment wanted Jack or Ennis to be with anybody on earth but one another. That's the film's accomplishment." 

and I repeat:   I never for a single moment wanted Jack or Ennis to be with anybody on earth but one another. That's the film's accomplishment."   

"'watchin Lureen punch numbers in her addin machine till she gets more zero's, her eyes gettin smaller and smaller, its like watchin a rabbit tryin to squeeze down a snake hole with a coyote on its tail.."

Offline Radha

• Experienced
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2006, 12:22:04 PM »
I really appreciate your help Radha.
You are such a cool guy. Thanks a lot!

Thanks, Martin. Make that a cool "gal".... :)

Offline DeeGilles

• Experienced
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2006, 04:58:33 PM »

I just returned from viewing number....no, I'm not going to tell you...to embarrassed...

No, tell us, tell us!  Be proud.
I wish I knew how to quit ya.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2006, 06:16:15 PM »

I just returned from viewing number....no, I'm not going to tell you...to embarrassed...

No, tell us, tell us!  Be proud.

ok...11!!! no movie has EVER effected me the way this one has...it is indeed life altering...the way art should be

Proud Todd
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2006, 06:23:31 PM »
Okay, Todd, I'm so jealous!  I just played hooky from work yesterday afternoon to see it for the third time and I'm already anxious to see it again.  I feel like I could see it once a day and still want to see it again.  And usually I get bored easily, but not with this story.  So anyway, be proud, we're all jealous!
Common response to Lost: UGH! I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, LOST! (But then I come back for a hug, because who am I kidding?)--Therese O'Dell

"True love is friendship set on fire."--French proverb

"If you're not yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them."--Reese Witherspoon