The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Reunion  (Read 1039001 times)

downloaded1

Re: Scene: The Reunion
« Reply #525 on: February 24, 2006, 06:24:15 PM »
Not trying to turn this into another SNIT thread and forgive me if you have already covered (and buried ) this topic, I don't get into this thread often.  I went to see it again this afternoon and THINK I heard something during the reunion that I'd not noticed before.  After Ennis does his nose rub thing and then tucks his shirt in, I just today thought I heard him say 'Walk up with me'
SO am I hallucinating?
 (I'm sure he did NOT say 'I'm sorry' in this scene ;))

He says "C"mere"

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #526 on: February 24, 2006, 06:27:44 PM »
Not trying to turn this into another SNIT thread and forgive me if you have already covered (and buried ) this topic, I don't get into this thread often.  I went to see it again this afternoon and THINK I heard something during the reunion that I'd not noticed before.  After Ennis does his nose rub thing and then tucks his shirt in, I just today thought I heard him say 'Walk up with me'
SO am I hallucinating?
 (I'm sure he did NOT say 'I'm sorry' in this scene ;))

He also says "later..." right before the head rub...which is too hot!!
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #527 on: February 25, 2006, 12:11:54 AM »
OMG! Those little head nudges are my favorite part of the movie this week. (Last week it was the spooning in the tent on their last night together.)

Offline HazelEyedRaven

• Expert
« Reply #528 on: February 25, 2006, 02:50:32 AM »
As a married, middle-aged heterosexual women, I find the reunion kiss TOO much!  Someone posted here somewhere about how women now understand why men like seeing two hot women kiss! Zowie!

And the actors do justice to Proulx's prose.  She wrote how the physcial, almost brute force in which they come together.  Thighs, groins pressing together, stepping on each other's toes.  In the movie, the sound of their boots on the stairwell along with the roughness and heavy breathing of their kiss, the pushing and pulling so perfectly illuminates what Proulx wrote.  Perfect.

She also likened Jack to a spooked horse as he stands next to Ennis making idle chat with Alma.  After I read that, I watched closely how Gyllenhaal portrayed this.  While Jack is trying to keep it together, he talks and his eyes shift from Ennis' eyes to his mouth to his eyes to his mouth.  It's like he's hungry.  He finally lowers his head as if to hide the obvious and hold himself back. 

I love the whole reunion scene from the mighty embrace to the physicalness of the kiss to the tension while upstairs.  Especially given that Ennis is the initiator and how they parted 4 years earlier.  Watching Jack's surprise turn to submission to assertion to dizziness as Ennis gives the gentle head nudge.  It's exhilorating.
Tell you what.....truth is.....sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #529 on: February 25, 2006, 04:51:10 AM »
' From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking '
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline lovebbm

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
  • Beautiful New England
« Reply #530 on: February 25, 2006, 05:29:15 AM »
I was wondering if someone could explain to why Ennis says "Jack's from Texas", when Alma asks if Jack wants to come inside for some coffee.  When she says "Don't Texans drink coffee?" she gets a big laugh, but I guess I'm having trouble understanding the (apparent) non-sequiter from Ennis to begin with.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #531 on: February 25, 2006, 05:41:04 AM »
Definitely my favorite scene in the movie...and not because of what Alma sees (I actually think it's kinda tragic).  No, Ennis finally makes a totally unexpected move on Jack -- just about ravaged him right there in the stairwell.  And to see Jack's utter expression of surprise and bewilderment -- wow, is all we can say!  :o

BTW, in the story, Ennis is "still half tumescent" in the motel scene.  Had to look it up and I blushed...  :-*

Oh yes, Aloysius. What a brilliant word to describe that after sex swelling! Poor old Jack's a**e must have been shot to pieces!
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline Bethie

• Lifetime Member BBM/Slash Club
  • Obsessed
  • Boy Love is Beautiful
    • LJ
« Reply #532 on: February 25, 2006, 07:26:37 AM »
I was wondering if someone could explain to why Ennis says "Jack's from Texas", when Alma asks if Jack wants to come inside for some coffee.  When she says "Don't Texans drink coffee?" she gets a big laugh, but I guess I'm having trouble understanding the (apparent) non-sequiter from Ennis to begin with.

I don't know if this helps or not, but the way I took that scene, is that Ennis is not paying any attention to Alma. He is so distracted. He is already out the door, not in the present moment. He just said what popped into his head. I live in Texas and when he says that the theater just cracked up, because we all drink coffee here.
ennis is the brave one for having taken his hand. gnash 

He lay his head down, 'n with a whisper light enough to be carried up to the heavens unaided said, “G'night, Bud. Love you.

Offline AntonioBrazil

• Feet Wet
« Reply #533 on: February 25, 2006, 08:13:58 AM »
I'M TOO MUCH IN LOVE WITH AMERICA!!!!!!
I'M IN LOVE WITH THESE TWO GUYS,
THESE TWO BRILLIANT AMERICAN ACTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline lovebbm

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
  • Beautiful New England
« Reply #534 on: February 25, 2006, 08:50:19 AM »

I don't know if this helps or not, but the way I took that scene, is that Ennis is not paying any attention to Alma. He is so distracted. He is already out the door, not in the present moment. He just said what popped into his head. I live in Texas and when he says that the theater just cracked up, because we all drink coffee here.

Thanks, I could buy that...

Offline lessa

• Expert
COMPLETE Reunion--link to VERY long video
« Reply #535 on: February 25, 2006, 09:31:17 AM »
Hey all,

This is probably a total 'faux pas' to jump  on as a first time poster and post a link immediately, but I didn't see this link posted and holy cow, it is The Whole Reunion (not just the first scene!!) and high-quality at that.

http://tbiet.tooblog.fr/?2006/02/25/1146-brokeback-mountain-les-retrouvailles-de-jack-et-ennis

It is 8 minutes long, starts with Ennis waiting, ends with the first talk by the campfire.

Also, sound is very clear. Check out the other stuff on the guy's site too. Wowza.

Again, apologies if this is all over this board already.

lessa
"Don't kill the god of sadness, just don't let her get you down..."
(Kristin Hersh, "The Letter")

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #536 on: February 25, 2006, 10:19:10 AM »
Welcome! And it's not a faux pas at all!  We're always glad to get additional "resources" too support our addiction here.
Thanks a bunch!  :D

KittyHawk

Offline valkyrie911

• Obsessed
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
    • More About Me
« Reply #537 on: February 25, 2006, 10:36:25 AM »
As a married, middle-aged heterosexual women, I find the reunion kiss TOO much!  Someone posted here somewhere about how women now understand why men like seeing two hot women kiss! Zowie!

And the actors do justice to Proulx's prose.  She wrote how the physcial, almost brute force in which they come together.  Thighs, groins pressing together, stepping on each other's toes.  In the movie, the sound of their boots on the stairwell along with the roughness and heavy breathing of their kiss, the pushing and pulling so perfectly illuminates what Proulx wrote.  Perfect.

She also likened Jack to a spooked horse as he stands next to Ennis making idle chat with Alma.  After I read that, I watched closely how Gyllenhaal portrayed this.  While Jack is trying to keep it together, he talks and his eyes shift from Ennis' eyes to his mouth to his eyes to his mouth.  It's like he's hungry.  He finally lowers his head as if to hide the obvious and hold himself back. 

I love the whole reunion scene from the mighty embrace to the physicalness of the kiss to the tension while upstairs.  Especially given that Ennis is the initiator and how they parted 4 years earlier.  Watching Jack's surprise turn to submission to assertion to dizziness as Ennis gives the gentle head nudge.  It's exhilorating.

This is better than the SNIT to me. Maybe because Ennis is the one who ravishes Jack. You just know he's missed him so much. More so than Jack who had been cruising other guys in the time since their split. It's funny Ennis has to remember to turn around and face Alma to talk to her and not look at Jack. You can almost feel them inching toward each other. Imagine what it would have been like to be in that room!
"True love is like seeing ghosts. We all talk about it, but few of us have ever seen one."--Francois de Rochefoucauld, 1613-1680

Offline Jaysmommy

• Brokeback Songstress
  • Obsessed
Re: COMPLETE Reunion--link to VERY long video
« Reply #538 on: February 25, 2006, 11:31:43 AM »
Hey all,

This is probably a total 'faux pas' to jump  on as a first time poster and post a link immediately, but I didn't see this link posted and holy cow, it is The Whole Reunion (not just the first scene!!) and high-quality at that.

http://tbiet.tooblog.fr/?2006/02/25/1146-brokeback-mountain-les-retrouvailles-de-jack-et-ennis

It is 8 minutes long, starts with Ennis waiting, ends with the first talk by the campfire.

Also, sound is very clear. Check out the other stuff on the guy's site too. Wowza.

Again, apologies if this is all over this board already.

lessa

Thanks for that link!

Can anyone tell me what happened to the clips on youtube o SNIT and Reunion and Last scene together?

I had them saced in My Faverites, but yesterday on youtube they were "no longer available"   :'(

I'm a computer idiot, so can someone tell me what happened? Are they just gone forever?   :-[ :-[

Offline Aloysius

• Experienced
  • 'Bring me men...to match my mountains'
« Reply #539 on: February 25, 2006, 12:01:10 PM »
Definitely my favorite scene in the movie...and not because of what Alma sees (I actually think it's kinda tragic).  No, Ennis finally makes a totally unexpected move on Jack -- just about ravaged him right there in the stairwell.  And to see Jack's utter expression of surprise and bewilderment -- wow, is all we can say!  :o

BTW, in the story, Ennis is "still half tumescent" in the motel scene.  Had to look it up and I blushed...  :-*

Oh yes, Aloysius. What a brilliant word to describe that after sex swelling! Poor old Jack's a**e must have been shot to pieces!

Yes Andy, Jack must have been *hurtin' so good*  :o
>> Aloysius
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Speak for yourself.  You may be a sinner, but I hadn't yet had the opportunity'
'Old Brokeback got us good, don't it?'  'For how long? For as long as we can ride it...ain't no reins on this one'