The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet Dec 11 to Dec 17, 2006  (Read 19149 times)

kmich

The Daily Sheet Dec 11 to Dec 17, 2006
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:35:29 AM »

Monday, December 11, 2006

Over 5300 Members and Counting!

When elle_ann last reported on our member count, back on October 31st, we had reached 5000 members.  In less than a month and a half, we've since increased our member count to 5358.  Our total post count has increased to 617,559.

Perhaps the HBO showings of Brokeback Mountain  account for the increase in our membership. Regardless, let's hope that these new members join the old-timers with fresh and interesting insights on our beloved movie.  Welcome to all new members and come join the fray!

If you'd like to read up on further fascinating facts and figures ... click here .

Bid2BeatAIDS Auction Update

As mentioned in the November 25-26th edition of TDS, LIFEbeat, the music
industry's AIDS fundraising and service charity, is sponsoring an entertainment
memorabilia auction
of 449 items on eBay.  The auction is currently underway,
with some items nearing their auction end time.

One item up for bid is a signed talent laminate from the 2006 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles.  The pass is signed by the wearer, Jake Gyllenhaal.  The current asking bid is $810.

Another item up for bid is a black and white
8X10 photo of recording artist Rufus Wainwright
signed in silver Sharpie.

Post of the Day

KittyHawk discovered a Brokeback Mountain  Christmas tree!  She posted the following in the Christmas  thread.

"I just got a little Christmas thrill this afternoon when I walked in my local garden center with lots of beautifully decorated trees.  The first one I saw could qualify as a BBM Christmas tree.  Do you see the faux camp fire complete with coffee pot?  The decorator  probably intended it to be just an outdoor sports tree, but to me it is definitely a BBM tree!  I don't normally carry a camera with me when I am shopping, but had to run home, get the camera, rush back to the center and take a few snapshots."

Below are a few close-ups of the ornaments:

KittyHawk assures us that, although the above ornament may look like a reindeer, it's actually an elk.

And these sheep weren't ornaments ON the tree but figures under the tree.

And here are KittyHawk's two favorites:

A fishing creel filled with tiny
ice cubes and cans of beer.

and "for he loved a little dog."

The Latest Casting News on The Dark Knight

Rachel McAdams is rumored to have been cast in an unnamed role in the upcoming Batman Begins  sequel, The Dark Knight, in which Heath Ledger has signed on to play the Joker.  Costume designer Gary Page, of the Harry Potter  movies, has also signed on.

Devil Wears Prada  Coming to DVD

Anne Hathaway's follow-up movie after Brokeback Mountain, The
Devil Wears Prada
  is being released on DVD in the U.S. on
Tuesday, December 12th.  Anne plays a naïve young woman who
lands a coveted job as an assistant to a ruthless and demanding top
editor (Meryl Streep) in the New York fashion world.

Fan Art of the Day

posted by PatSinnott

In Their Dreams

Forum Footnotes

Born on December 11th:

1838 - John Labatt, Irish-Canadian businessman and brewer (Labatt Brewing Company) (d. 1915)
1943 - John Kerry, American politician

On December 11th in history:

1946 - The United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is established.
1981 - El Mozote massacre: Salvadoran armed forces kill an estimated 900 civilians in an anti-guerrilla campaign during the country's civil war.

Quote of the day:

Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets.
 - Arthur Miller

Word of the day:

From urbandictionary.com

Hasselhoffing

The act of changing a colleague's desktop wallpaper to display the manly
physique of David Hasselhoff.

"Dear God man!  I leave my workstation for a few moments to visit the big boys
room and you've Hasselhoffed me!"

Photocap of the Day

posted by jasonwv

WHAT THEIR CONFLICT WOULD HAVE BEEN IN BROKEBACK 2006

Aguirre: Tell ya what Mr. Del Mar.  I see a bruise like that on Jack again I'm calling Domestic Violence
Services.  That's fer sure hunnert percent.  You ranch stiffs ain't never no good partners.

Calendar

Forum Events

5-7 Jan, '07 - San Francisco, CA -
The Solstice Bay Bash

25 Feb, '07 - Bay City, MI - Oscar Night
Screening of Brokeback Mountain

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering go to
Start Your Own Threads and get the ball rolling
to plan a get-together near you.

Other Events

Let us know of any events you'd like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Editors: Elle (elle_ann) and Kathy (kmich)

Assistant Editor: Marcia (Marge_Innavera)

Columnists: cynical21, Connie Bailey, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf, sparky

Proofreader/Researcher: Gonzo (twistedboy) and gnash

Today's edition produced by Kathy (kmich) email: kathy@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by Gonzo (twistedboy)

Contributors: KittyHawk, jasonwv, PatSinnott

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.

When a new TDS is posted, it will be forwarded to your email address.

Previous issues of The Daily Sheet here.

Response thread for The Daily Sheet here.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:44:27 PM by BrokenOkie »

elle_ann

Re: The Daily Sheet, Dec 11-Dec 17, 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:05:41 AM »

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Photocap of the Day: Dreamgirls meet Dreamguys

Choosing the Photocap of the Day is one of the really fun parts of designing an edition of TDS and with so many creative, witty and talented photocaptioners on the forum, we're often spoilt for choice. Today, however, we're running a really exceptional "Photocap of the Day" as our lead article and in so doing, we pay tribute to the creative talents of one of our longtime members, Lyle (Mooska). Lyle saw Dreamgirls this weekend, and says: "During the song "When I First Saw You", my thoughts turned to Jack & Ennis. The following post is what I was thinking of."

Ed's note: For those who aren't familiar with the song, you can listen to a 30-second preview here - click on number 17, wait for it to load, then enjoy Lyle's creativity while you listen to an segment of the original song!

Dreamguys

"WHEN I FIRST SAW YOU"

(JACK TWIST)

"When I first saw you..."                                 "I said, 'Oh my'."

"I said, 'Oh my, that's a dream, that's MY dream'. "

"I needed a dream when it all seemed to go bad."

"Then I found you"

"And I have had the most beautiful dreams                     
Any man's ever had."                               
(ENNIS DEL MAR)

"When I first saw you"                            "I said, 'Oh my, oh my,' "

"That's my dream, that's my dream."

"I needed a dream to make me strong."

"You were the only reason"
"I had to go on"

"You are my dream"

"All the things I never knew."                                                   
(JACK & ENNIS)
"You are my dream."

"Who could believe they could ever come true?"

"And who would believe"

"The world would believe in my dreams too?"

"When I first saw you...I said, 'Oh my, oh my.' "

"That's my dream."

New Ang Lee Movie Shooting In China

"Lust, Caution," an adaptation of a short story by famed Chinese writer Eileen Chang, is about a group of patriotic students who plot to assassinate the intelligence chief in the Japanese-backed Chinese government during the World War II era. The movie features Chinese actress Joan Chen from "The Last Emperor," Cannes Best Actor award winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai, Chinese-American pop star Leehom Wang and newcomer Tang Wei, also from China. James Schamus is executive producer and Rodriego Prieto the cinematographer.

Tony Leung Chiu-wai said he spent two months memorizing the script for the spy thriller - a painstaking process because the dialogue is delivered in Mandarin, instead of his native Cantonese. Leung said shooting of "Lust, Caution" is on a tight schedule because some scenes took longer than expected and that he plans to work on New Year's Day and Christmas Day, but that shooting should wrap by the end of January.

Happy Anniversary, Darling: UK Civil Partnerships One Year Old

It's been a year since the Civil Partnership Act 2004 came in to force in Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales, giving gay and lesbian couples the same rights as their straight counterparts to "marry" (officially to "affirm their union"), to become their partner's next-of-kin, to gain inheritance and pension rights, to divorce ("experience dissolution").

The statistics are compelling: more than 15,500 couples registered civil partnerships in the period from last December to September this year, suggesting that government predictions of 22,000 partnerships by 2010 are a huge underestimate. But perhaps more significant is that among the 15,500 pledging their union were a cabinet member - Ben Bradshaw, the Fisheries minister - and among those planning to tie the knot are Adam and Ian from The Archers, which, lest we forget, is "an everyday story of country folk".

Trend analyst and social commentator Peter York says, "Civil partnerships have reinvigorated the whole notion of marriage. As an institution, it was getting a bit ragged in this country, wasn't it? Most people weren't doing it, or were failing at it. Now, for a whole bunch of people to embrace it in this way - well, no wonder the conservative lobby are rather stymied. It's like the embourgeoisement of the gay outlaws - they're coming in from the cold and taking their place at the table."

Click here for the full article and interviews with some of the couple who have tied, and untied, the knot.

American Film Institute Names Top 2006 Films

The American Film Institute has a panel of 13 filmmakers, critics, scholars and trustees who select its picks for best films of the year, a list which is presented unranked. This year's panel included directors Michael Apted and James L. Brooks, writer-producer Diana Ossana and Los Angeles Times critic Kenneth Turan.

Films which made this listing for 2006 include the musical "Dreamgirls," the September 11 drama "United 93" and the outrageous comedy "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan". Also on the Top Ten list were the ensemble story "Babel," the fashion-world satire "The Devil Wears Prada," the gritty classroom drama "Half Nelson," the animated penguin romp "Happy Feet," the bank-heist thriller "Inside Man," the World War II saga "Letters From Iwo Jima," and the road-trip tale "Little Miss Sunshine."

Celebrating One Year of Brokeback Mountain

Love As Revolution: "The Fuck Heard Round The World"

David Walker, writing in the Wilamette Weekly in December 2005, made a prophetically strong case for Brokeback Mountain as a tool for civil rights.

He says: "In director Norman Jewison's 1967 film In the Heat of the Night, actor Sidney Poitier, portraying black Philadelphia police officer Virgil Tibbs, slapped a white man-and was not made to pay for his 'sin'."

"Looking back", says Walker, "it is difficult for some to understand the artistic and sociopolitical significance to be found in a single action, which occurred during the height of the civil-rights movement. But when added into the cinematic mix of the film and the complexities of where America was at that place and time, Virgil Tibbs' actions in a small Mississippi town meant something very significant. It became something important-the slap heard 'round the world."

Walker goes on to describe the setup of the Brokeback Mountain, then turns to what BBM aficionados know as FNIT. "...what seemingly starts out as a fight between two twenty-something men, quickly turns into a carnal act that will forever define and shape the lives chronicled in Ang Lee's new film, Brokeback Mountain. And not unlike Sidney Poitier slapping a white man, the explosion of pent-up sexual desire and repression between Jack and Ennis, equal parts mountain brawl and synergistic lovemaking, is likely to become something very significant.

"For lack of a better term, it will be the fuck heard 'round the world."

He explores his theme in depth, concluding that ." if it's possible for a film to have heart and soul, then at its core Brokeback Mountain is a poetic, brilliant love story. A tale of repressed, burning desire, it reaches heights of emotional purity and delves into the depths of raw humanity.. Brokeback Mountain would be equally compelling if it were about a man and a woman. But it isn't, and that's what makes it revolutionary."

FanFiction Review:

Riding Fences - An Uneventful Life

By Cynical21

Long-time members of the Dave Cullen forum will undoubtedly remember a fan fic written by forum member Lucian, aka No_Reins, entitled Riding Fences, a compelling story of the life of Ennis Del Mar after losing Jack Twist. That story concluded several months ago, after following Ennis in his attempts to survive his loss and rebuild his life.  The fate of Ennis and the question of whether or not he would ever be able to find any meaning in his existence following his great loss has long been a bone of contention among Brokeback Mountain fans. Riding Fences - An Uneventful Life is proof that the story can be told, and that Jack, though no longer physically present in Ennis' life, can continue to occupy the place that was always his to claim - Ennis' heart.

This segment of the ongoing narrative covers the years from 1996 through 2000, and finds Ennis at a crossroads in his life. Though he has made tentative efforts towards resolving the duality of his nature, he is still - as Annie Proulx describes it - trapped between - between what he knows and what he tries to believe.  Although it is undeniably true that no narrative which  covers a time frame not included in the original story can be considered "canon", Lucian has made a tremendous effort to duplicate Annie's original character and place him in a setting that logically evolves from the events of that well-loved novella.  Lucian's Ennis is Annie's Ennis, and that impecable characterization is part of what makes this story so compelling. While much of the action in Part One occurred at the Twist Ranch in Lightnin' Flat, and featured interaction between Ennis and Jack's mother, Part Two will see the fic's horizons stretch to encompass a larger world and Ennis struggling to make his way through it.  Ennis, being Ennis, will encounter many problems and difficulties in trying to resolve the issues that trouble him, but the author hints that he will find assistance from the most unexpected of sources.  And through it all, Jack will remain an integral part of his life, closely held and deeply treasured.

"No need to wake now. Del Mar he hears the familiar voice say, Ennis, time to wake up. Cowboy, you better wake up now! Bolt upright, his panicky breath fills the dark room and Ennis, moist above, moist below, lays back down to clutch the pillow through the lonely Jackless night."

This is a story of possibilities - of exploring plausible and realistic ways in which Ennis might survive and rebuild his life, while never relinquishing his hold on the memories that will always give meaning to his existence.  Lucian is walking a difficult path, a tightrope between canon and speculation, and he is doing it remarkably well, constantly earning new fans as he reassures his audience that it is possible to write this story and at the same time preserve the sanctity of a love that was truly a force of nature.

Lucian is a single gay man who lives in Alaska, a graphic designer by profession.  He confesses that he spent many years wanting to write fiction, but never found the proper inspiration until this incredible story and these compelling characters touched him and showed him the way. Fans eager for more of his unique vision are delighted that he overcame his reluctance.

To access this sensitive, beautiful portrait of Ennis Del Mar struggling to live without Jack, click here or go direct to the author's LJ.

Calendar

Forum Events

The Solstice Bay Bash

Other Events

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Today's edition produced by Elle (elle_ann) email: elle@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by gnash

Contributors: Lyle (Mooska),

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:56:24 PM by BrokenOkie »

kmich

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 05:17:20 AM »

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

2007 BBQ Finalized

The 2007 Brokeback Barbeque will be held in Estes Park, Colorado on Memorial Day weekend, May 26-29, 2007.  Per LoveEmBoys :

In Estes Park we will be staying at the YMCA of the Rockies.  We have reserved an entire lodge of rooms at their main Estes Park Center facilities.  The lodge has 51 rooms, each of which can hold 1 to 6 guests in 1 queen bed and 2 sets of twin bunk beds, and has a private bath.  Also reserved for our exclusive use will be a meeting house where we can gather and socialize throughout our stay, and that is where we'll have the screening for the movie.

The YMCA of the Rockies has a large campus and lots of facilities including fire rings, a livery of horses, lots of hiking trails, gym and swimming pool, archery, miniature golf--more than we could ever hope to take advantage of.  There is wireless Internet available in the Admin Lodge, near our lodge.  While it's a large campus, you can walk to most areas within 10 minutes.  The extreme areas may be 20 minutes.

For Monday night we've reserved a block of rooms at the Doubletree hotel, which is near the Denver International Airport and has free, convenient shuttles to and from DIA.

More details and pictures, etc. are forthcoming… but please be patient as it is a busy time of the year!  We'll be announcing when we'll open up room reservations, deadlines to pay, and what those costs are going to be--probably in February when we've had time to research more of our options.  Rooms, and spots on the Road Trip will of course be first come first serve.

* all details EXCEPT Date and Location are subject to change.  We are still 6 months away after all  ;) *

Please see this post for additional information, including a general itinerary.

Michelle on Motherhood

Michelle Williams appears on the cover of the December/January 2007 edition of Nylon  magazine.  In it, she discusses the effect of motherhood on her life.  "I always sort of imagined I would be a young mother.  Kids just bring such a natural order to your life.  I used to have all these questions that felt like they would never be answered.   I'd agonize myself with them.  You know, "What am I going to do with my time?  Who will I be with?  Will I wind up alone?  And having Matilda, I don't plague myself anymore.  I know what life is like.  For the next 18 years, I'm devoted to somebody's welfare.  It took all that noise out of my head."

Outlawing Gay Friendships in Nigeria

A proposed law under debate in Nigeria would make illegal "any form of association between gay people, social or otherwise, and publication of any materials deemed to promote a 'same-sex amorous relationship'."  Homosexual acts are already outlawed in Nigeria.  The current law being discussed would also prohibit "participating in gay clubs or reading books, watching films, or accessing Internet sites that 'promote' homosexuality."

Akin Marinho, a Nigerian human rights lawyer, notes that the bill's prohibitions are illegal under Nigeria's constitution.  ''It's a civil liberties issue as well as a gay rights issue.  Under this bill, anyone watching Brokeback Mountain  or even Will & Grace  could be prosecuted...."  Despite the stringency of the proposed legislation, it is widely expected to pass.  Click here for additional information.

Making Palm Springs a Hate-Free City

Palm Springs, California is contemplating an education campaign that would make it a "hate-free" town.   According to an article by Stephanie Frith in The Desert Sun, "the Palm Springs City Council and Human Rights Commission will meet to further the concept of telling tourists and locals that diversity is accepted.

'Not in Our Town' is the name of a campaign the commission hopes will help the public learn to support people who are gay, lesbian, transgender or bisexual; of another race or ethnicity; of another religion or gender; or have a physical or mental disability."

Pilots Who Love Brokeback Mountain

royandronnie shared the following Brokeback moment she experienced on a recent trip:

"This past week, my mother and I flew across the country to attend a museum opening we had been asked to lend a piece to.  That was pretty special, but it was ended up being a very Brokeback   occasion all around.  On the flight from Atlanta to LA, while the pilot was doing his usual flight-plan speech, he mentioned that we were going to fly  over Childress, Texas!  Mom said, "well of course that's because of the movie."  At first I thought she was just saying that because she  knows how obsessed I am, but the more I thought about it, the more I  agreed.  I mean, why ELSE would he have mentioned it?  It's hardly the Mississippi River, or the Texas state capitol, after all!"

Post of the Day

Our post of the day was made by Stilllearning in the How Brokeback affected me thread.  Says Stilllearning:

"Over the past few days I have been involved in an online conversation with a few people from my church about homosexuality and the Christian Church.  The young man that wrote this works full time for the church and touches the lives of many.  It made me feel so proud of BBM and, in my little corner of the world, I can see how our wonderful movie has changed lives and will continue to do so, through this one person, and, I'm sure, so many more.  He wrote:

"About 4 years ago I read a book by James Dobson called, Marriage Under Fire and it was basically using fear to scare evangelicals into hating homosexuality.  This was a time in my life when I was just starting to find my own faith and was absorbing everything 'Christian' that I could.  I'm embarrassed to say this now but after reading the book I was convinced that America was on the verge of moral destruction.   Later that summer I had a conversation with some friends that brought a different view to the Christian table.  One person was advocating gay marriage and at the time I could barely consider her views in line with Jesus'.  I had what I would call a "hate the sin, lover the sinner" mentality.  It seems interesting that the hate part of that statement is first.  For a while I carried that view and every time I met someone who was gay, the first thing I did was judge them.  I couldn't stop thinking about their 'sinful lives'. 

And then came Brokeback Mountain.  That movie really changed the way I thought about the gay community . . . the film conveyed the very human qualities that many Christians look right over.  Ever since then I feel like I have been liberated from a flawed mentality. . .

Just wanted to share this, I was so touched when I read what he wrote."

Forum Footnotes

Born on December 13th:

1929 - Christopher Plummer, Canadian actor
1967 - Jamie Foxx, American actor

On December 13th in history:

1941 - World War II: Hungary and Romania declare war on the United States.
2000 - American Vice President Al Gore delivers his concession speech ending his hopes of becoming the 43rd President of the United States.

Quote of the day:

Don't cry because it's over.  Smile because it happened.
- Theodor Geisel

Word of the day:

From urbandictionary.com

going forward

Going forward is purported to mean, "In the future" or "somewhere down the road" when in fact it is an attempt to dodge the use of these words, which generally indicate "I don't know".  A newer development in corporate doublespeak, in most companies it is grounds for dismissal to release a press release without
mentioning something 'going forward'.  Going forward, you will likely see this turning up everywhere.

"Our company expects to make a profit going forward."

"We don't expect any layoffs going forward."

Photocaps of the Day

posted by HR

Got tired of my dumbass missin'

you

I'll never get tired of his dumbass kissin'.

Calendar

Forum Events

The Solstice Bay Bash

May 26 - 29, '07 - Estes Park, Colorado -
2007 Brokeback Barbeque

Other Events

Contributors: BayCityJohn, HR, royandronnie, Stilllearning

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:51:37 PM by BrokenOkie »

elle_ann

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 05:41:39 AM »

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Today's Edition Produced by Marge_Innavera

DVD To Libraries Campaign: Audit Update

DC Luke reported this week that “the DVD audit team has formed and is working hard to determine how many DVDs were donated to libraries through the Forum's campaign. In order to facilitate the audit process, I divided the team's work by state, with each team member working on a different state. If you donated DVDs to libraries in more than one state, you may receive multiple inquiries from members of the audit team. I apologize for the inconvenience. Your cooperation, however, is essential to the successful outcome of the audit. Thank you in advance for your assistance!”

Before There Was Playboy...
There Was Tom of Finland

In the Brokeback Mountain fanfiction story A Love Born From Steel by forum member MaineWriter, Ennis and Jack learn that an elderly friend is gay after Jack discovers his collection of back issues of the 1950s magazine Physique Pictorial. “Think of it as sort of an old-fashioned Playboy for gay guys,” Jack tells Ennis as the two look at drawing after drawing by an artist named “Tom of Finland.” Ennis and Jack were seeing the work of one of the most important erotic artists of the 20th century. 

Tom of Finland was the pseudonym of Touko Laaksonen (1920-1991), who began an advertising career in Helsinki in the late 1940s and started submitting work to Physique Pictorial Magazine in 1956. Positive images of gay male sexuality were rare-to-nonexistent in the repressed 1950s, with body-building magazines being among the furtive exceptions. Early in 1957, Physique Pictorial’s cover of two cheerful, bare-chested lumberjacks introduced a series titled “Men of the Forests of Finland.”

Tom’s happy eroticism and hyper-masculine images amounted to an ahead-of-its-time defiance of the negative stereotypes of male homosexuality, something that was rarely challenged back then. Today, Tom’s more well-known fans include Andy Warhol, Franco Zeffirelli, fashion designer Halston and Robert Mapplethorpe.

In 1993 F. Valentine Hooven III published a biography called Tom of Finland: His Life and Times. In a 1993 interview, Hooven referred to the 1957 magazine cover as "a super-event in gay culture" and noted that Tom's images, while sometimes involving aggression and sado-masochistic themes, were consistently postive ones. He recalled that right after Tom's death in 1991, "... I went through the drawings we have at the Tom of Finland Foundation trying to find a figure appropriate for a memorial service, something sad or melancholy…and I couldn’t find one." 

Since 1984, the Tom of Finland Foundation, founded by Tom and his friend Durk Dehner, has been collecting and promoting both Tom's work in particular and erotic art in general. One of the Foundation's stated goals is "educating the public as to the cultural merits of erotic art and in promoting healthier, more tolerant attitudes about sexuality." The Foundation's regular calendar of events includes a Monthly Drawing Workshop in Los Angeles (December 17) while in France, the Tom of Finland in Paris exhibition will run at the Galerie Jean-Luc and Takako Richard until the end of December. The Galerie’s owners describe Tom’s work as "an indictment of the male libido – aggressive, relentless, and playful – consumed with the possibilities of Eros. The images are heroic, iconoclastic, flushed with testosterone and humor."

Brokeback In the Classroom[/url][/size]

Forum member Sarah has been giving us regular reports on how she used the DVD of Brokeback Mountain in her college sociology course on 'American Violence/Family and Sexuality'. Sarah was pleasantly surprised at the level of attendance, positive reactions and discussions that resulted.

Two young men in particular, one a Christian and the other a Muslim, came from religious backgrounds with negative views of gays and "it brought me tears of relief to hear these very students speak out against violence toward gay men (saying that while they viewed homosexuality as wrong, they find criminal acts against gays as more wrong), their shock at seeing Jack's murder (they did question whether this was fact or Ennis imaginings), and their sympathy for the character's having to deal with the fathers they had."

Sarah reported on Wednesday that her students will be writing essays answering "five questions connecting BBM, homophobia, rural hate crimes and homophobia within the film industry. (I'm even having them write rap lyrics to describe the climate of violence in 1963 Wyoming!)"

For Sarah, this has been "...an uplifting experience -- one I consider a victory for our boys on the mountain, and for me personally in my mission to spread their word. Though I am a straight, married mom of straight daughters, and just happen to have no close, personal relationships at this time with gay individuals, I have been driven since I saw Brokeback Mountain on 1/16/06, to bring Jack and Ennis' story to light in my classroom and throughout my corner of the world. I feel I am fulfilling one of my many goals inspired by Annie Proulx and Ang Lee's legend -- and by the lives, which I consider very real, of our beloved Ennis and Jack."

Heath
Calendar

Heath fans who want him on their wall during 2007 have less to choose from than Jake fans, but Imagicom has a calendar available for Heath fans in the US. It’s available for £6.99 at Starstore.com, at 365calendars.com and other Internet sites including eBay stores.

But Hey, Maybe They’ve Got Some Great Stock Market Tips For You?

A year after its release, Brokeback Mountain has already made a number of Best Movie lists, but in the first few months, some media pundits were quick to dismiss its chances of becoming a popular or memorable film.

Two days before Christmas last year, Roger Friedman of Fox News declared under the headline Brokeback Burnout? Cowboys Collapsing? that “You wouldn’t know it from all the hype and the endless critics awards, but Ang Lee’s "Brokeback Mountain" may be suffering a little burnout in its third week of release.  Indeed, "Brokeback"—-aka the Gay Cowboy movie—-has seen declines at the box office every day this week after a huge premiere and subsequent run in gay-concentrated neighborhoods." He added, "There is hardly a straight male in the U.S. who will see this movie voluntarily, no matter how well made it is—-and it is very well crafted by a hugely talented group of people—-it’s hard to imagine a suburban wife coaxing hubby to the Cineplex on Saturday night to see two men consummate their passion.”

One month later, in an appearance on the January 2nd edition of Special Report with Brit Hume, syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer apparently felt the film merited one of his three 2006 predictions: Brokeback Mountain will have been seen in the theaters by 18 people -- but the right 18 -- and will win the Academy Award." He did not specify who the "right 18" were, nor did he clarify which Academy Award the film would receive.

But all of us who were disappointed and angry at the Oscar snub might have seen a warning in a blog discussion of whether Brokeback would appeal to a wide audience. On December 14, 2005, the "pundit guy" noted what he called 'de-gayification.' "Pro-gay movies won’t bring in the hundreds of millions of dollars needed by distributors like Focus Features. But, a love story which ends up unifying the good ‘ol American family unit sure will. That’s money in the bank, and that’s why Brokeback Mountain has been de-gayified. It just makes good ‘ol American economic sense." As an example, a picture of the now-familiar poster was contrasted with what the author claimed was the movie's new "family friendly" advertising.

Several readers pointed out that this was not in fact advertising for moviegoers but was aimed at trade magazines like Variety and Hollywood Reporter. In retrospect, the ad now looks like a subtle preview of Oscar follies that followed in March.

Post of the Day

Care Packages to US Soldiers

In September, forum members started discussing ideas for sending items to soldiers serving in Iraq. This week, Archbishop posted a potentially life-saving suggestion that few families and well-wishers are likely to think of: Silly String.

USA Today reported Tuesday that this popular novelty item can save lives. “Soldiers have discovered Silly String can help them find deadly tripwires attached to bombs. Spray it into a room before entering, they say, and if the strings all settle safely on the floor there aren't any wires. If the strings hang up on something -- the troops know not to go in."

The current reality is that there are military men and women from a number of countries currently serving in Iraq. Check out this part of the forum for tips on gifts of clothing, food, entertainment items, what to send and not send, and packaging tips.

Forum Footnotes

December 14th birthdays:

1503 – Nostradamus, physician, poet, publisher of prophecies

1911 – Spike Jones, musician and comedian

1919 – Shirley Jackson, author of “The Lottery” and The Haunting of Hill House

1935 – Lee Remick, film actress (The Long Hot Summer, Anatomy of a Murder, Wild River)

1979 – Michael Owen, English football player with Newcastle United

December 14th in history:

1799 – George Washington, first US President, dies

1900 – German physicist Max Planck publishes a groundbreaking study, generally considered the birth of the quantum theory and modern physics

1911 – Norwegian explorer Roald Armundsen becomes the first explorer to reach the South Pole

1971 – Members of the Gay Activists Alliance demonstrated at Suffolk County (New York) Police headquarters protesting two GAA members being arrested on charges of sodomy.

1988 – The movie version of Torch Song Trilogy opens in New York

Quote of the Day:

Even if our efforts of attention seem for years to be producing no result,
one day a light that is in exact proportion to them will flood the soul.         -- Simone Weil

Photo Caption of the Day

Forum members have contributed very thought-provoking captions as well as funny ones. With a nod to the songwriting talents of John Lennon, Jasonwv gives us his version of Ennis’ Christmas Wish

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Matthew Shepard Killed Oct. 12 1998

Michael Sandy Killed Oct. 13 2006

Jack Twist killed 1983

A very Merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

Hate is over if you want it
Hate is over nooooooooooooow.

Calendar
    Forum Events

[li]5-7 Jan, '07 - San Francisco, CA -
    The Solstice Bay Bash
    [/li]

[li]25 Feb, '07 - Bay City, MI - Oscar Night
    [/li]

[li]May 26 - 29, '07 - Estes Park, Colorado -
    2007 Brokeback Barbeque
    [/li]

[li]If you have ideas about initiating a gathering go to
    to plan a get-together near you.[/li]
    [td][/td]

[td]
      Other Events

[li]Let us know of any events you'd like listed here.
      [/li]

[/list][/td][/tr][/table]

Contributors: Jasonwv, Archbishop, Sarah, dcluke

elle_ann

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 04:26:49 AM »

Friday, December 15, 2006

Focus Features Speaks Up About Coming Out, Oscars and Deleted Scenes.

In honor of the one year anniversary of BBM, AfterElton interviewed Focus Features CEO James Schamus. Subjects under discussion included...

The BBM Special Edition DVD due for release in January...

AfterElton.com: What can you tell me about the director's cut of Brokeback Mountain?
      James Schamus: It's not even really a director's cut. . The changes really are very minuscule. They're going to package in some . featurettes about the music, the reception of the film. What you saw [in the theaters] was the director's cut. It's what Ang wanted.
      AE: That's good to hear.
      JS: Yeah. They wanted to put in some deleted scenes. There was a discussion about deleted scenes, but quite frankly, as Ang said, "The reason I deleted them was because I wanted to delete them. So why would I put them in the DVD?" [Laughs.] That's a pretty good point there, Ang!

The Oscar debacle...

JS: I told everybody at the company, "We're not going to win Best Picture. You did a great job. We did everything we possibly could. There is only so far you can go."
      AE: Before, you told me that you lost for essentially the reasons you made the film for in the first place.
      JS: I think that is fair to say. I don't want to cast aspersions on their win as if their win was because of the politics of the film, although clearly, as you know, these older guys, these very, very old, male Academy members became, at the very end, very vocal. If we lost by one vote, we know why we lost. But we don't know how many votes we lost by, so you can't really sit around and speculate.

Movie stars coming out ...

AE: Do you think Brokeback has made it easier for gay movies to get made? Or for straight actors like Jake and Heath to take these roles?
      JS: Clearly, there is no question straight actors can take on these roles any time they want now. As I said to Andy Towle, the big test is when a big hunky movie star . comes out. I think we moved the dial on that. The big test . is when the great male movie star - female too - comes out of the closet and then gets the job kissing Julia Roberts. That's the test.

You can access the complete article here.

Brokeback Memorabilia On eBay - Bidding for Charity

The brown cowboy hat worn by Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain is now for sale on ebay. The hat comes with a certificate of authenticity. Bidding currently stands at $10,100.00. Proceeds from the sale will go to Variety Children's Charity, who assist addicted, abused, neglected and physically-challenged children in Southern California.

Also for sale is Heath Ledger's jacket from the same scene. Bidding is currently at $1825.00 with less than 12 hours to go.

Wanted: Marketing Coordinator for the Beyond Brokeback book

The Beyond Brokeback leadership team seeks a volunteer with excellent organizational skills, humor, patience, a facility for language, and experience in PR or marketing. The responsibilities include developing and executing the marketing plan for Beyond Brokeback.

The first few weeks of the book launch will likely require 10-15 hours per week to refine the existing marketing plan or to develop a new plan, and then to initiate those tasks which will have the biggest bang for the buck. The amount of time and effort required will taper off after the first month or six weeks.

Additional tasks which may be done by the coordinator or additional volunteers may include:

. Design and production of the press kit.

. Write custom news releases.

. Coordinate local events and volunteers at book stores readings, Forum gatherings, etc.

. Send complimentary copies to designated individuals (seek blurbs).

. Coordinate media contacts.

. Write additional material for book web site.

Please contact KittyHawk via PM with your questions and expressions of interest.

Brokeback to the Future: iFILM Awards

A video parody of Brokeback Mountain has been named Best Viral Video of the Year at the annual iFILM awards.

An iFILM news release said that the fake film trailer that combines the 2005 Academy Award-winning film with 1985's "Back to the Future," was recognized by the popular Internet video source as the year's best video clip shared on the Internet. It has received 1,318,866 views to date, far outnumbering any other video clip.

The film parody beat out a humorous video clip of a BBC interview featuring an information technology expert mistakenly identified as an Internet music expert.

Anne Hathaway Wins Breakthrough Award

Anne Hathaway has been named "Star Of The Year" at the Hollywood Magazine's Breakthrough Awards in Los Angeles. The actress won the prize for her role as a naive personal assistant in The Devil Wears Prada. Other Breakthrough Award winners were Jessica Biel for The Illusionist and Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls.

It's going to be a busy year for Anne, who also has a ticket for Passengers , a supernatural thriller being directed by Rodrigo Garcia Nine Lives]). Hathaway will play a grief counselor who helps six plane crash survivors and develops a special connection with one of them. When the survivors begin to disappear mysteriously, she suspects a conspiracy and becomes determined to uncover the truth. Production is set to begin early next year. Columbia Pictures will release domestically. Anne's next release is Jane Austen in Becoming Jane, and she has also been cast to play Agent 99 in Warner Bros. Pictures' big-screen version of Get Smart.

Underage Gay Sex Surge In The UK

58% of UK gay teens have sex before the age of 16, the annual Puffta love-sex-life survey has revealed. 23% had sex at 13-years-old or younger and 35% of those responding to the survey said that they had unprotected sex in the past three months. Puffta's annual survey polled gay teens about sex, love and life. Nearly 500 teens between 13 and 21 logged on to Puffta and answered questions about safe sex and drugs.

"Last year and the year before, the results were shocking. We simply didn't know what this age group were up to, as nobody had asked them," says Simon Johnson, founder of Puffta "Now, year after year we're finding a running trend that gay teens are having unprotected sex and not getting tested for STDs and HIV - yet they're very sexually active at such a young age."

Mr. Johnson said he doesn't believe the recent mainstream government campaigns go far enough to educate straight or gay teens and the Schools Out group, which is working towards equality in education for LGBT, called on the UK government to rethink its sex education and HIV awareness.

Read the full story here.

Thread of the day: "You Girls Want A Push Or Sumthin'?"

Forum member CANSTANDIT(aka CSI) started The Want Ads thread:

"This is the place to go when you want something; NOT a dating thread; NOT for personal ads, ie, SWF, or anything like that; but a place posters can come to ask for things or info, such as an autographed photo of a BBM celeb; or the location of this or that; or perhaps you want to know the name of a good restaurant in a particular city. Or a good appliance brand recommendation. Miscellaneous wants - minus dating, and advertising your business. And if you want to continue a discussion at length, it would then go to PM."

Sounds like a great idea. Go there to get hold of 'anything' you want!

Photocaptioning's Greatest Hits

Original poster tfmisc:

When Jack contacted Ennis four years after their summer up on Brokeback,
      he had planned out his strategy very carefully with the help of this book.

Calendar
        Forum Events

[li]5-7 Jan, '07 - San Francisco, CA -
        The Solstice Bay Bash
        [/li]

[/li]

[li]May 26 - 29, '07 - Estes Park, Colorado -
        2007 Brokeback Barbeque
        [/li]

[td][/td]

[td]
          Other Events

[/li]

Contributors: CANSTANDIT, tfmisc, kittyhawk

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 06:40:58 AM by elle_ann »

kmich

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 05:37:06 AM »

Weekend Edition, December 16-17, 2006

paulh at a reading of Stephen Gyllenhaal's
            poetry in Martha's Vineyard
            [/list]
            [td]

Member Profile: paulh

I was born (1948) in Clinton, Massachusetts, and grew up nearby in a small town that had more apple trees than people.*  It also had a gentleman sheep farmer living next door to us and I had to butt heads with the rams to get to the neighbor's tennis court.  After getting a B.A. in French from the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, I moved to Boston and pursued a graduate degree in Library Science.  I've been a librarian since 1973.  I've been to Western Europe, Central Europe, and East Asia on concert tours, as I love to sing choral music.  I've also sung in some musical plays and operas.  Noodling on the piano, cooking, taking long walks, swimming, watching movies, and writing songs (most of them silly) round out my hobbies.

*The people/apple tree ratio has since reversed.

01.  Currently listening to?  Avenue Q  Original cast recording.

02.  Currently reading?  Claptrap  by Stephen Gyllenhaal.

03.  Biggest challenge?  Getting up in the morning (everything after that is a piece of cake).

04.  Your perfect day?  Going up to my sister's cottage in the White Mountains on a July day, swimming in Echo lake, browsing in the factory outlets, riding up to the top of Mount Washington and enjoying the view, then coming down and going to live theater at the Eastern Slopes Playhouse.

05.  What's your indulgence?  Fine China.  Chocolate.  Good coffee.  Movies.

06. What's your inspiration?  A sunny Sunday afternoon and a pot of freshly-brewed coffee to stimulate my creativity.  A few pastries to go with the coffee wouldn't hurt....

07.  Last major purchase?  My new computer, after the old one crashed....

08.  First job?  Mowing lawns and shoveling snow at the town library when I was twelve.

09.  What do you know for sure?  You'll never get anywhere if you sweat the small stuff.

10.  Favorite Movie Besides BBM ?  BBM is my favorite *Western*.  For favorites in other genres, see below.

11.  If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?  Your Grandmother is going to be very happy to see you.

12.  What brought you to the Forum?  The desire to meet and chat with other people who *got* Brokeback Mountain.

13.  Your favorite threads?  Jake's Eyelashes 

14.  How many times have you watched BBM?  Four

15.  Your favorite BBM scene?  First night in the tent.  (In truth, *every* scene deserves to be my favorite.)

16.  Any question I haven't asked that you'd care to answer?  Yes.  About my favorites in different genres:

Favorite movie musical?  Kiss me Kate

Favorite classic comedy?  Duck Soup

Favorite Astaire-Rogers movie?  Top Hat

Favorite Julie Andrews movie?  Mary Poppins

Favorite Science Fiction movie?  Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Favorite comedy of 2006?  Stranger than Fiction

Favorite teen movie?  Donnie Darko

Favorite animated feature?  Fantasia

James Dobson's Misleading Article in Time Magazine

[/list]
                [td]
                  The December 18th issue of
                Time  Magazine contains an editorial by Focus on the Family founder and anti-gay activist James Dobson entitled "Two Mommies Is One Too Many."  The article is a reaction to the announcement by Mary Cheney, U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney's daughter, that she is pregnant and will be raising her child with her lesbian partner, Heather Poe.

Citing two child development studies in his article and stating that he does not wish to harm or insult Ms. Cheney and Ms. Poe, Dobson says that his organization's "conviction is that birth and adoption are the purview of married heterosexual couples.  Traditional marriage is God's design for the family and is rooted in biblical truth.  When that divine plan is implemented, children have the best opportunity to thrive.  That's why public policy as it relates to families must be based not solely on the desires of adults but rather on the needs of children and what is best for society at large."

However, the authors of the two studies that he cites have raised strenuous objections to his use of their work.  New York University Professor Carol Gilligan wrote a letter to Dr. Dobson stating the following, "I am writing to ask that you cease and desist from quoting my research in the future.  I was mortified to learn that you had distorted my work this week in a guest column you wrote in Time  Magazine.  Not only did you take my research out of context, you did so without my knowledge to support discriminatory goals that I do not agree with.  What you wrote was not truthful and I ask that you refrain from ever quoting me again and that you apologize for twisting my work."

Kyle Pruett, M.D. wrote the
                following to Dobson: "Dr. Dobson, I was startled and disappointed to see my work referenced in the current Time Magazine piece in which you opined that social science, such as mine, supports your convictions opposing lesbian and gay parenthood.  I write now to insist that you not quote from my research in your media campaigns, personal or corporate, without previously securing my permission.  You cherry-picked a phrase to shore up highly (in my view) discriminatory purposes.  This practice is condemned in real science, common though it may be in pseudo-science circles.  There is nothing in my longitudinal research or any of my writings to support such conclusions."

Soulforce, a faith-based gay rights organization, is putting together a petition asking Time  to address the inaccuracies in the article.  Follow the link to sign the petition.
                [/list]
                [td]

NJ Legislators Legalize Civil Unions

On Thursday, New Jersey lawmakers passed legislation that legalized civil unions for gay couples.  According to ABC News, "Democratic Gov. Jon Corzine said he would sign the measure, which would extend to same-sex couples all the rights and privileges available under state law to married people.  The bill passed the Assembly 56-19 and the Senate 23-12."  Although gay rights advocates welcomed the development as progress, they indicated that they would continue to push for the right to marry.

Maggie Gyllenhaal Nominated for a Golden Globe

[/list]
                    [td]
                      Maggie Gyllenhaal has been nominated for a Golden Globe award in the category of Best Dramatic Film Actress for her portrayal of a petty thief and drug addict in Sherrybaby.  Gyllenhaal's performance in this movie has drawn rave reviews and has already earned her a Best Actress award at the Stockholm International Film Festival.  Her competition includes Penelope Cruz in Volver, Judi Dench in Notes on a Scandal, Helen Mirren for The Queen, and Kate Winslet for Little Children.

In addition, Monster House, an animated movie in which Gyllenhaal voiced the character of Zee, was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Animated Film.

Post of the Day

nominated by michaelflanagansf

From Jenny in the Close Range Book Discussion Group thread.

Discussing the meaning of the word "romantic" and whether Annie Proulx herself is a romantic, Jenny offers the following insights:

"I think, in some ways, what Jack and Ennis have between them epitomizes my view of what love really is.  After my husband saw BBM, he said this: 'I think that's the first big movie I've seen in a long time where they got it right about how love is.'  I asked what he meant, and he says: 'Those guys got disappointed and hurt and angry with each other and kept on loving each other anyway.  They weren't sitting there going: "You're the love of my life.  Everything about you is perfect."  They just kept coming back and trying the best they could to give each other someone who knew what it was like for them.'  And then he adds this:  'They lost everything in the end, but they were still damn lucky.'

He's a clear-eyed romantic, too."

Click here to read the entire post. 

The third story in our retrospective series on how Brokeback Mountain  changed the lives of Forum members is from sarah.

Here's what I've done since I first saw Brokeback:

Woven the story into the college sociology courses I teach on American Violence and Family and Sexuality (showing the film for the first time to a class on Saturday!)  ::)

Dieting and tread mill -- didn't have a lot to lose, but approaching 50 means a few pounds are more work to get off!  :-\

Reconnected to family in a mid-western farm area (OK it's not Wyoming, but compared to metro NJ, it seems like "out west"!)  :-*

In the process of purchasing a piece of rural farmland to build on one day. ::)

More supportive of my eldest daughter's pursuit of a life in theater arts (even though the money is very meager right now), especially after she introduced me to Roberta Maxwell.  ;)

Pursued my collection of western memorabilia, which I was drawn to before Brokeback, and now have Wyoming and Texas license plates and a western camping map, to go with some "mountain lodge" knick knacks.  (Again, I'm from the metro Northeast, of Italian heritage, so this stuff is not within my usual personality.)  8)

No longer pursue friendships that seem one-sided.  :-[

Please continue to PM Kathy (kmich) your stories of the specific changes Brokeback Mountain  triggered in your life.

It seems The Daily Sheet  isn't the only resource contemplating the one-year anniversary of Brokeback Mountain.  At the blog, Diary of a Rat, author Sprague Dawley contemplates the lasting effect of BBM  a year after it's release and notes that it may be the very ordinariness of Jack and Ennis that will defuse stereotypes and resonate with viewers.  Says Dawley:

"Proulx's commonplace characters - these boys are extraordinary in a love story because they are so ordinary - deftly neutralizes the distancing effects of stereotypes.  When there are no gestural pyrotechnics to steal attention, one must attend to, and identify with, recognizable and sympathetic characters.  Jack and Ennis look like anybody you would meet on the street in any small town.  But for this story you might have no appreciation of the complication, the potential, the vastness of such 'ordinary' men.  We are indebted to Annie Proulx's imagination and the actors who brought it to life for providing all of us a wider space in which to be human."

Forum Footnotes

The following Forum member has a birthday coming up:

PennQuaker.......Dec. 22nd

Born on December 16th:

1770 - Ludwig van Beethoven, German composer (d. 1827)
                      1775 - Jane Austen, British writer (d. 1817)
                      1899 - Sir Noel Coward, British playwright, actor and composer (d. 1973)
                      1901 - Margaret Mead, American anthropologist (d. 1978)

Born on December 17th:

1946 - Eugene Levy, Canadian actor
                      1929 - William Safire, American columnist

On December 16th in history:

1773 - American Revolution: Boston Tea Party - Members of the Sons of Liberty disguised as Mohawks dump crates of tea into Boston harbor as a protest against the Tea Act.
                      1998 - Iraq disarmament crisis: Operation Desert Fox - The United States and United Kingdom bomb targets in Iraq.

On December 17th in history:

1843 - Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol  is first published.
                      1903 - The Wright Brothers make the first powered heavier-than-air flight in the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
                      1989 - The first episode of  The Simpsons  d'oh, airs on FOX.

Quote of the weekend:

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous."  And God granted it.
                      - Voltaire

Photocap of the Day

posted by BRAD1963

THE WIZARD OF BROKEBACK

Glinda:  "Ennis, you had the power to return to Brokeback all along.  Just click the heels of your boots three times and repeat to yourself there's no place like Jack, there's no place like Jack..."

Calendar
                        Forum Events

[li]5 - 7 Jan, '07 - San Francisco, CA -
                        The Solstice Bay Bash
                        [/li]

[/li]

[li]25 - 29 May, '07 - Estes Park, CO -
                        2007 Brokeback Barbeque
                        [/li]

[td][/td]

[td]
                          Other Events

[/li]

Contributors: BRAD1963, Jenny, marge_innavera, michaelflanagansf, sarah