The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What period of gay history would you like to discuss first?

The fifties and sixties - before Stonewall
9 (50%)
Early Gay Liberation 1969 - 1975
2 (11.1%)
Political awakening 1975 - 1981
0 (0%)
The onset of AIDS 1981 - 1996
6 (33.3%)
Post Protease Inhibitors 1996 - Present
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 24, 2007, 01:59:08 AM

Author Topic: Gay History -- How We Got Here  (Read 449531 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: Gay History -- How We Got Here
« Reply #1980 on: August 16, 2022, 04:30:07 PM »
^^ ROTFLMAO.... you betch'a!   V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1981 on: August 17, 2022, 12:56:20 PM »
 :o  :laugh:

The story/event is so well known that everyone wonders "what would I have done?" in that situation. The idea of gay people on the Titanic is something that pops up on occasion:

In fact:
Lesbian Titanic Survivor’s Illuminating Cane To Be Auctioned
from Jun 13, 2019
https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/lesbian-cane-auctioned/

In fiction:

In a 1993 Off-Broadway Musical: Hello Again is a musical with music, lyrics and book by Michael John LaChiusa. It is based on the 1897 play La Ronde by Arthur Schnitzler (also titled Reigen). It focuses on a series of love affairs among ten characters during the ten different decades of the 20th century.

Which was made into a 2017 film: Based on the Off-Broadway musical of same name by Michael John LaChiusa, the film stars Audra McDonald, Martha Plimpton, T. R. Knight, Cheyenne Jackson and Rumer Willis and follows 10 lost souls across 10 periods in New York City history. The daisy-chained musical explores love's bittersweet embrace as the pursued become the pursuer and slip in and out of one another's arms, spinning through 10 music-fueled vignettes which come together in one soulful circle.

The above wikipedia link for the film details each of the ten vignettes. The one in question is:

The Husband and The Young Thing

In 1912, on the Titanic, a wealthy man traveling without his wife convinces an attractive servant to join him for dinner in his cabin. They talk, and the wealthy man (T.R. Knight) begins to awkwardly flirt with the younger man (Tyler Blackburn--coincidentally named Jack, DiCaprio's name in the 1997 film).

The younger man goes into the bathroom when the ship strikes an iceberg and begins to sink. A deck hand warns them to get out, but the husband, seemingly on the verge of a total breakdown at the news, does not tell the young man what is happening and instead seduces him. The young man asks if he can join him when they arrive in New York, but the husband confesses the ship is sinking. The young man is furious and flees, running with all the other panicking passengers, while the husband chooses to drown alone in the dark cabin.

Inspired by the 1997 film: Digital Pride and Proud Unicorn, a multimedia production company, proudly present a reimagining of Jack and Rose's bow scene on the TItanic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J74gIDtqz0

And, by the way, the New York Times article about Miller and Butt isn't the first time they've been in the public view. Example; an article from 2015:

We Were There, Too
Apr 1, 2015
https://www.outsmartmagazine.com/2015/04/we-were-there-too/

Another example from 2012, the 100th Anniversary of the sinking:

Historian Says Famous Titanic Passengers Were Gay
Apr 13, 2012
https://www.outhistory.org/article/historian-famous-passengers-gay130412/

Now...what about the Hindenburg?  ;)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1982 on: September 17, 2022, 11:52:57 AM »
Honoring George Chauncey, a Scholar of Gay History

By:  Paul Hond -  Fall 2022

Historian George Chauncey was first summoned to court in 1993. He was thirty-nine, a little-known assistant professor at the University of Chicago, and a year away from publishing his groundbreaking book Gay New York: Gender, Urban Culture, and the Making of the Gay Male World, 1890–1940. As one of a small number of scholars in the US working on gay history, Chauncey had been asked to testify in a case  challenging a Colorado state constitutional amendment that banned municipalities from protecting gay people from discrimination.

The US Supreme Court ultimately struck down the amendment, and Chauncey became the go-to expert witness on the history of anti-gay discrimination.

Chauncey, who is the DeWitt Clinton Professor of American History at Columbia (a chair previously held by Allan Nevins ’60HON, Richard Hofstadter ’42GSAS, and Eric Foner ’63CC, ’69GSAS), has long been a witness for justice. He grew up in the 1950s and ’60s in the South, the son of a Presbyterian minister who was deeply involved in the civil-rights movement. By high school, Chauncey was eager to see other parts of the country, and when it came time for college he went to Yale, where he came out as gay. He got his PhD in history at Yale in the 1980s, at the height of the AIDS crisis.

https://magazine.columbia.edu/article/honoring-george-chauncey-scholar-gay-history

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1983 on: September 17, 2022, 01:04:33 PM »
Congratulations to Mr. Chauncey. Somewhere on the forum I mentioned that I met George Chauncey in the West Hollywood location of A Different Light Bookstore. I don't recall why he was there, it wasn't for a book signing or reading or anything, it was just during a weekday when I would often stop in there during a break at work. I believe I remember overhearing him talking to one of the employees, or manager or something and recognized his name because I had purchased and read his great history book "Gay New York" and so I went over and talked to him and told him how much I liked it.

Bookstores! Their demise means people won't run into authors like I did.  He was one, and another was Allan Berube of the "Coming Out Under Fire" book. And I attended some readings at the two WeHo LGBT bookstores and met some others.

Like: Remember Joseph Steffan who was expelled from the Naval Academy for being gay in 1987 and wrote a book about it after filing a lawsuit? Met him. And Dave Pallone, the gay MLB umpire who wrote about his experiences and wanting to come out in an early 90's book? -- Not only did I meet him, he stayed around for some weeks and I talked to him in the Revolver bar in West Hollywood. He saw me on the street one day at one point when the community was protesting Gov. Wilson's Veto of AB101 protecting LGBT persons in the workplace. I was on my way to one of the marches and he saw me and gave me ride!

Bookstores, video stores, music stores -- no one socializes with like minded people any more and gets to interact with some who are making a difference. It's very despairing in many ways.