The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: LGBTQ related news and issues  (Read 708263 times)

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
Re: Is society really as accepting as it claims?
« Reply #600 on: October 16, 2007, 02:32:28 PM »
Will And Grace, Jari. American television show of dubious excellence. ;) :D
May the bridges I burn light the way forward.

Offline Boris

• The Iceman melteth
  • Obsessed
  • I was just thinkin' out loud.
« Reply #601 on: October 16, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »

OK. I call it "Jack and Karen". That just shows that the pond IS big.
"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #602 on: October 16, 2007, 02:41:02 PM »
I hate both Jack and Karen because they're horrible people, and I despise Will and Grace as the whiny weaklings they are. I am so glad that they're all fictional.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #603 on: October 16, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
I hate both Jack and Karen because they're horrible people, and I despise Will and Grace as the whiny weaklings they are. I am so glad that they're all fictional.

I always thought that the sitcom was just an updated version of 'Boys In The Band' with Grace and Karen replacing two of the guys in the cast.

Talk about your mind numbing stereotypes!  People that catty and banal (male or female) make me glad I don't have a CCW license.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #604 on: October 16, 2007, 03:43:26 PM »
CCW? Please enlighten me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #605 on: October 16, 2007, 04:50:11 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm just an ignorant Eastern big-city guy.  ;)  What's QAF and WAG?

Thanks!

QAF = Queer as Folk, most often in reference to American version of the TV series in Showtime.
WAG = British slang, meaning "Wives and Girlfriends", most often in reference to wives and girlfriends of soccer players or other sports figures. Most know WAG is Victoria Beckham.

Thanks, Jari!

I refuse to pay for premium television channels that I don't need and don't watch, so, while I have, of course, heard of Queer as Folk, both the British and American incarnations, I've never seen either--and have no interest in seeing either--so it's not enough in my consciousness to pick up on the shorthand.

Thanks, Lance!

Will and Grace I have seen, again not high enough in my consciousness, expecially since it's no longer in Prime Time, that I'm not used to seeing it referred to in shorthand.

Offline bradINblue

• Expert
  • "We're the lucky ones....."
« Reply #606 on: October 16, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
I'll do everyone a favor and go away, that is if Mods will allow my account to be delted.

Brad
'The maker keeps making, but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.'

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #607 on: October 16, 2007, 04:55:34 PM »
I'll do everyone a favor and go away, that is if Mods will allow my account to be delted.

Brad

What makes you think people want you to go away?  ???

I sure don't.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #608 on: October 16, 2007, 07:05:50 PM »
who said go away?
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #609 on: October 16, 2007, 07:21:52 PM »
Brad. He decided he didn't want to stay here and asked that his account be deactivated. So it has been.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #610 on: October 16, 2007, 09:28:07 PM »
CCW? Please enlighten me.

carrying a concealed weapon.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #611 on: October 16, 2007, 09:46:18 PM »
This is so silly....hell, if I stick around why can't everybody else. And I have made waves at times, as you well know Lance. Sometimes knowing there would be waves and sometimes creating a hurricane by being totally uncomprehending that the  place and statements were not WISE at the time---in other words hurricane by mistake>>>again,  as you well know Lance! Sometimes  waves via a spontaneous blow up, which we have both had, Lance. So what? who keeps score, i certainly don't and hell, I learned more when you and I yelled at each other then I'd have ever learned  if we'd just  been sweet. Sweet is BS [lol]
Point is, we all need to have some good will. I have it, you have it, the other mods have it, most posters have it.

This is not the politburo and you damned well know what i mean. Nor is it anarchy.

Nobody will get on with everyone, and stuff like this is frustratin!

If people leave, how are we supposed to continue to learn and grow? NOBODY wants a forum filled with yesyesyes in response to every single statement! What's the point???

Brad is a good guy. I'm a goin a miss his input. Those views were necessary here.

There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #612 on: October 16, 2007, 10:39:52 PM »
Brad sent me a PM to say that someone told him I said he pissed me off. (I'm not exactly pleased that someone told him that, but that's another matter.) I responded, but if he asked to have his account deactivated, I don't suppose I'll ever know whether he read my response.

I don't know how to quote my own outgoing PMs in a post, but here's the text of what I wrote to him:

Well, maybe you have written some things that have pissed me off, but they've made me think, which is a good thing. You've been around here longer than me. I don't want to be responsible for driving you off just because we may disagree.

If you feel it's time for you to move on from this forum, that's another matter. But please don't leave on my account. I'm the relative newcomer here. Better I should confine myself to the Gay and Christian thread, and stay away from the Gay issues forum, than that I should be responsible for driving someone away.

Jeff

Offline milomorris

• Expert
  • Strength, Courage, Mastery, and Honor
« Reply #613 on: October 16, 2007, 11:12:09 PM »
Brad. He decided he didn't want to stay here and asked that his account be deactivated. So it has been.

Oh crap!!!
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #614 on: October 17, 2007, 08:26:52 AM »
Please get back on topic, gentlemen. Brad is not here to give his side of this story; it doesn't seem fair to give ours.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 08:33:04 AM by Lance »