The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Is society really as accepting as it claims?  (Read 467172 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Is society really as accepting as it claims?
« Reply #3150 on: January 17, 2020, 09:04:27 PM »
So unless the very young children who may not have been socialized much or are too young to be at an older child geared storytime, shouldn't be there anyway, no matter who is presenting.

Those are the kids I had in mind, the very young, maybe kindergarten age or so.

To me it is very important as a mother and grandmother to socialize your kids and to introduce and and show acceptance of everyone. Luckily my son and DIL feel the same.

No doubt about it, the world would be a better place if every parent felt as you do.

But I still don't like the idea of Drag Queen Story Time.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3151 on: January 18, 2020, 04:59:18 PM »
Although people think clowns are suitable for entertaining little children, some kids are afraid of them.

I imagine families who take their children to Drag Queen Story Times would be open-minded people. Their children might be growing up in an atmosphere of acceptance of diversity.

I got the impression that the children who were confused and frightened at the Brisbane Square Library were upset by the protesters and the confrontation, not by the drag queen readers.

This is the impression I got as well, Tony.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3153 on: February 27, 2020, 10:36:09 AM »

Go Virginia!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #3154 on: February 27, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
Thumbs up to Virginia!

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3155 on: February 28, 2020, 09:07:23 PM »
Very good !

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #3156 on: February 29, 2020, 01:39:39 PM »
The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade apparently went well.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-29/sydney-gay-and-lesbian-mardi-gras-thousands-party-at-parade/12012588
"We have had a pretty tough few months in Australia with bushfires and coronavirus and this is a good news event."

The 78ers, who marched in Sydney's first Mardi Gras 42 years ago, drew huge cheers from the crowd.

(Thankfully  I did not march in '78 when many were arrested but I was there in '79.)
RFS volunteer Samara Moat, from North Rocks, said she was having an amazing time at her first Mardi Gras.

"It's been absolutely fantastic to let our hair down," she said.

Fire and Rescue NSW Assistant Commissioner Paul McGuigan said the event had been wonderful after a busy year and the crowd had been right behind them.

"We get fantastic support every year but this year is really special," he said.

"It's a really nice way to celebrate what's been a challenging year with the whole community coming together."

"Mardi Gras means absolute pride, joy and acceptance — just being loved for who you are and a complete excuse to be fabulous,"

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3157 on: February 29, 2020, 03:46:25 PM »
The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade apparently went well.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-29/sydney-gay-and-lesbian-mardi-gras-thousands-party-at-parade/12012588
"We have had a pretty tough few months in Australia with bushfires and coronavirus and this is a good news event."

The 78ers, who marched in Sydney's first Mardi Gras 42 years ago, drew huge cheers from the crowd.

(Thankfully  I did not march in '78 when many were arrested but I was there in '79.)
RFS volunteer Samara Moat, from North Rocks, said she was having an amazing time at her first Mardi Gras.

"It's been absolutely fantastic to let our hair down," she said.

Fire and Rescue NSW Assistant Commissioner Paul McGuigan said the event had been wonderful after a busy year and the crowd had been right behind them.

"We get fantastic support every year but this year is really special," he said.

"It's a really nice way to celebrate what's been a challenging year with the whole community coming together."

"Mardi Gras means absolute pride, joy and acceptance — just being loved for who you are and a complete excuse to be fabulous,"

I watched the direct telecast on SBS. It's available today on SBS On Demand.

The participation of people from the NSW Rural Fire Service and State Emergency Service was a feature.

There were several protest floats and groups. One of the commentators, Drag queen Courtney Act stressed the need to support people in 73 countries where queer people are persecuted. The other three gay and lesbian commentators mentioned the protest groups as they passed but spent more time gushing in interviews with celebrity guests who were due to perform at the after party, though Dua Lipa did make relevant political comments.

Protest issues represented in the parade included First Nations issues, climate change issues. the treatment of refugees and asylum seekers, the horrible religious discrimination bill, issues of people with disabilities, the fake aspects of the 250th anniversary of the voyage of James Cook in the Endeavour. The 78ers from the first Mardi Gras highlighted continuing homophobia.

The progress of the NSW Libaral Party float was delayed by a few minutes and the telecast went to a break. I read later that police removed at least one protester. The parade resumed.

There were lots of community groups, sporting groups and corporate floats and crowds of spectators 20 deep.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #3158 on: March 05, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »
So good to read
Canterbury uni students wear pink shirts in solidarity after alleged homophobic attack
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/canterbury-uni-students-wear-pink-shirts-in-solidarity-after-alleged-homophobic-attack
We are approaching the anniversary (March 15) of the terrible Christchurch Mosque Massacre

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3159 on: April 30, 2020, 10:15:51 PM »
Last week, four Victoria Police officers were killed on the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne. Two constables stopped a Porsche driving at 140kph. They tested the driver and found ice and cannabis in his system. They called a leading senior constable and another officer to help them impound the car. As the four were working in the emergency lane, a big refrigerated truck veered into the emergency lane and killed the four police.

People everywhere here have been laying flowers outside police stations.

One of those killed was Constable Glen Humphris who only graduated from the Police Academy a few weeks ago. The next day, his partner of four years, Todd Robinson, appeared on TV to pay tribute to him. Glen Humphris was from Gosford in NSW. His first job was as an apprentice carpenter. Later, he earned a Masters Degree in Exercise Physiology at the University of Sydney. His partner Todd met him in a Return to Work program.

The couple moved to Melbourne where Glen Humphris applied to join the police and excelled at the Police Academy.

Because of the current pandemic restrictions on numbers at funerals, there can only be small, individual  funerals for each of the four police officers. The first was held yesterday.

The funeral for Glen Humphris was held this morning at the Police Academy with his family there and his partner Todd in full army uniform. Todd's niece said how much the whole family loved Glen because he made Todd and all the family so happy. There were glowing tributes from Glen's squad mates.

It was very moving to see the ashen-faced, grieving Chief Commissioner of Police along with the police chaplain walking in front of the hearse as it left the Academy, in the same fashion as for yesterday's funeral. People had laid flowers at the gate of the Academy and people lined the road in the rain to pay their respects.

There will be a public state memorial ceremony for the four police officers when the current pandemic restrictions are lifted.

How things have progressed in recent years !

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:26:42 AM by tfferg »

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #3160 on: April 30, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »
Thanks for this. I had read about the terrible tragedy but had not followed the details to discover one was openly gay.
 It reminds me of the terrible Gold Coast amusement park tragedy a few years ago when the two men who were killed were also openly gay and recognised as such.
I wrote at the time
"It’s not that long ago that Luke Dorsett and Roozi Araghi would have been described in the media as single men who had lost their lives in a terrible tragedy.  Today, thanks to a growing maturity of the populace, these two young men can be celebrated as a loving couple, loved by their families, friends and workmates. Their relationship is receiving the respect it has earned and deserves.
The intense grief being experienced by everyone who knew Luke and Roozi would have only been compounded if their lives had not been recognised in the way todays media reported."
Sadly I still remember as a young teenage reading that the NSW police commissioner of the time had called homosexuals the lowest scum on earth.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #3161 on: May 31, 2020, 01:30:54 PM »
The world's first transgender person to be elected mayor and a Member of Parliament, Georgina Beyer, is being made a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit in Monday's Queen's Birthday Honours for services to the LGBTIQA+ rights.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/121629765/from-one-queen-to-another--georgina-beyer-recognised-in-queens-birthday-honours

Georgina Beyer's demonstrable contribution to the rainbow community has been recognised in this year's Queen's Birthday Honours.
And whether Queen Elizabeth II intended to or not, highlighting Beyer in this way has created a curious, yet delightful synergy.

"Thank you for giving me this royal ascent to this honour. One queen to another," Beyer laughed.
"Well, she was the first real queen I have ever met," the former drag performer joked.