The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: LGBTQ related news and issues  (Read 709598 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Is society really as accepting as it claims?
« Reply #3255 on: June 25, 2021, 10:45:48 AM »

Nice, Fritz!

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3256 on: June 25, 2021, 12:09:14 PM »
It really is. There has been a lot of opposition among the more conservative (GOP) alumni. Dolly Duffy seems very enthusiastic in her message for the group. I've met her at alumni gatherings.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3257 on: June 25, 2021, 02:24:05 PM »
S
Notre Dame has now recognized an official gay alumni group called Alumni Rainbow Community. This is a really big deal, the group that I'm in GALA Gay and Lesbian Alumni has been working toward this for a long time.

https://arc.undgroup.org/?fbclid=IwAR2H97GU9PCe_UMmOr9sSWVh-ZjhDNwwxXOhag14RdpcHe0RyJEc0-wZS9Y

So good to hear, Fritz!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline lislis

• Expert
« Reply #3258 on: July 07, 2021, 10:59:37 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/eu-warns-hungary-fix-anti-104951477.html
^^^
It is a disgrace this legislation... It is something that flies in the face of the values of the European Union

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3259 on: July 08, 2021, 05:14:28 AM »
It will be interesting to see if the EU acts on this.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3260 on: July 08, 2021, 03:27:56 PM »
Talks with Budapest included questions over Hungary's commitment to fighting corruption, and to ensuring both transparency and the independence of the courts. MEPs mostly backed von der Leyen's tough words for Orban and her threat of legal proceedings. They are expected to pass a resolution on Thursday asking the commission to cut off funding to Hungary.

First, leave it to a woman to actually head a fight against these cretins.

Second, Viktor Orban -- to quote My Fair Lady, "I have never seen a Rudapest."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3261 on: July 08, 2021, 04:15:15 PM »
:laugh:

I truly hope some sort of action comes against Hungary, but I won't be surprised if nothing happens.

Offline lislis

• Expert

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3263 on: July 13, 2021, 01:55:56 PM »
European Rights Court Orders Russia to Recognize Same-Sex Unions

Europe’s top human rights court has ordered Russia to recognize same-sex unions in a new ruling on Tuesday.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR)’s ruling came in response to complaints filed in 2010 by three Russian same-sex couples whose attempts to register their marriages in Russia were rejected.

The ECHR judges unanimously ruled that Russia violated Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights — the right to respect for private and family life — by not granting legal status to the couples’ unions, the court said in a press release.

The court ruled that Russia had an obligation to ensure respect for the applicants’ private and family life by establishing a framework for their relationships to be legally acknowledged and protected.

Although Article 8 does not explicitly oblige Council of Europe member states to recognize same-sex marriage, it does imply a need to strike a fair balance between same-sex couples’ needs and those of the community, the court said.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/07/13/european-rights-court-orders-russia-to-recognize-same-sex-unions-a74509

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3264 on: July 24, 2021, 08:29:41 PM »
Thousands defy Orbán with festive Pride parade backing gay rights in Hungary

By Lili Bayer - July 24, 2021

Thousands of Hungarians marched in solidarity with the country’s LGBTQ+ community Saturday in protest at government rhetoric and new legislation targeting sexual minorities which has drawn condemnation from Hungary’s European Union partners. 

Members of the European Parliament joined the Pride parade through the streets of Budapest. Despite the tension, the mostly youthful participants maintained a festive mood, dancing to Abba songs and waving rainbow flags. However there was also a sense among participants – who included many high-school students – that this was an act of defiance.

“In the past two years, we’ve had a government attack against the LGBTQI community, a lot of hate speech and also adoption of restrictive legislation when it comes to transgender rights, adoption, and most recently, a Russian-style propaganda law,” said Tamás Dombos, board member of Háttér Society, a Hungarian rights group. 

“A lot of people came to show their support and to show that not everyone thinks like our government,” he said. “It feels really nice that so many people turned up.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/hungary-gay-pride-parade-2021-lgbtq-budapest-viktor-orban/

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #3265 on: July 26, 2021, 01:20:41 PM »
Interesting article
https://www.odt.co.nz/opinion/vitriol-can-be-put-positive-effect-—-if-you-know-how

I know Ian Chapman slightly from the wonderful music scene here in Dunedin.

You may need to click on the top article. I cannot seem to link direct.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3266 on: July 26, 2021, 01:52:25 PM »
Very good article, thanks Brian.

Oh, and it worked as you said.  The page opened up, and then I clicked on the top article.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #3267 on: July 26, 2021, 02:20:59 PM »
Very good article, thanks Brian.

Oh, and it worked as you said.  The page opened up, and then I clicked on the top article.
It has now become the 2nd article  ???.
Just look down to article headed 'Vitriol can be put to positive effect'

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #3268 on: July 26, 2021, 02:23:50 PM »
I do hope we get the rainbow crossing in Dunedin which he mentions. It is a pedestrian crossing I often use. I did not see the petition in shops and cannot find it online but it will be discussed by the City Council next month.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3269 on: July 27, 2021, 07:03:47 PM »
The granddaughter of a notorious anti-gay rights activist is marrying a woman - and she's not sure whether to invite her grandmother to the wedding

Julia Naftulin - July 26, 2021

Sarah Green said she came out to her grandmother, anti-gay rights crusader Anita Bryant, on her 21st birthday.

After Bryant, a famed singer and devout Christian, sang Green "Happy Birthday," she told her a husband would be in her future.

"And I just snapped and was like, 'I hope that he doesn't come along because I'm gay, and I don't want a man to come along,'" Green said on an episode of Slate's podcast "One Year."

That's when Green said her grandmother told her homosexuality doesn't exist.

Bryant, who was also a beauty queen and orange juice spokesperson, became a vocal anti-gay speaker in Miami in 1977. In her speeches, Bryant would say being gay was a choice and a sin to rally audiences against queer-friendly legislation, the Washington Post reported.

Now 81, Bryant lives in a world where gay marriage is legal, and her granddaughter is planning her own nuptials with another woman.

https://news.yahoo.com/granddaughter-notorious-anti-gay-rights-205513063.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb&tsrc=fb