The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: LGBTQ related news and issues  (Read 704628 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Is society really as accepting as it claims?
« Reply #3270 on: July 27, 2021, 11:51:09 PM »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3271 on: July 28, 2021, 12:00:43 AM »
^^^ Nice.  Gotta love it.  Karma is rebalancing Bryant's scales!  As I recall, she deserves everything (and more) for all the hateful, degrading, despicable things she spewed to the media... V.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3272 on: July 28, 2021, 05:35:57 AM »
I didn't see it happen at the time, but I have seen the footage of her getting smacked in the face with a pie.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3273 on: July 28, 2021, 07:17:23 AM »
^^^ Nice.  Gotta love it.  Karma is rebalancing Bryant's scales!  As I recall, she deserves everything (and more) for all the hateful, degrading, despicable things she spewed to the media... V.

And is evidently still spewing it to her granddaughter! >:(
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3274 on: July 28, 2021, 07:18:26 AM »
I didn't see it happen at the time, but I have seen the footage of her getting smacked in the face with a pie.

I always thought someone should have hit her up the side of her head with a frozen OJ can.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3275 on: July 28, 2021, 07:53:54 AM »
I always thought someone should have hit her up the side of her head with a frozen OJ can.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

That would have been poetic justice indeed. Or at the very least doused her with a quart of OJ.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3276 on: July 28, 2021, 08:27:35 AM »

well, that would've caused some damage.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3277 on: July 28, 2021, 10:53:40 AM »
well, that would've caused some damage.

My point exactly!!!
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3278 on: July 28, 2021, 11:39:29 AM »

If I recall, her response was something like, "At least it's a fruit pie."

If you want to see it, I just found NBC news footage of it. They were having some sort of press conference in a small room in Des Moines, Iowa. I don't recall ever seeing the footage after the incident where they address the guy who did it, too, who answers back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHGmSh7f-0

Opinion: Anita attempts to make a joke about being hit in the face with a "fruit" pie, but that remark is telling. It's really an open slur and belies all the "we're all about God's love," remarks. If, in a different context, a black man had hit her in the face with a pie and she said, "Well, at least it's a watermelon pie," it would be taken as a slur, which that remark was to gay people when she said what she said. With that remark that her granddaughter shared that Anita recently said, that "her grandmother told her homosexuality doesn't exist," well, what more is there to say about Anita?

Watch Carol Burnett take on Anita. I don't know that I've ever seen this particular sketch before. In it, Carol references the controversy about letting gay people teach their children, which came on the CA ballot as Prop 6 in Nov. of 1978. This sketch had to either be in the last months of her series in 1978, or...perhaps the 4 episode summer series she did in August of 1979; Carol Burnett & Company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js-yJ48C6Po

It really is kinda brilliant because so much is said in it without specifically saying anything at all.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3279 on: July 28, 2021, 02:12:28 PM »
If I recall, her response was something like, "At least it's a fruit pie."

If you want to see it, I just found NBC news footage of it. They were having some sort of press conference in a small room in Des Moines, Iowa. I don't recall ever seeing the footage after the incident where they address the guy who did it, too, who answers back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHGmSh7f-0

Opinion: Anita attempts to make a joke about being hit in the face with a "fruit" pie, but that remark is telling. It's really an open slur and belies all the "we're all about God's love," remarks. If, in a different context, a black man had hit her in the face with a pie and she said, "Well, at least it's a watermelon pie," it would be taken as a slur, which that remark was to gay people when she said what she said. With that remark that her granddaughter shared that Anita recently said, that "her grandmother told her homosexuality doesn't exist," well, what more is there to say about Anita?

Watch Carol Burnett take on Anita. I don't know that I've ever seen this particular sketch before. In it, Carol references the controversy about letting gay people teach their children, which came on the CA ballot as Prop 6 in Nov. of 1978. This sketch had to either be in the last months of her series in 1978, or...perhaps the 4 episode summer series she did in August of 1979; Carol Burnett & Company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js-yJ48C6Po

It really is kinda brilliant because so much is said in it without specifically saying anything at all.

Hello Lyle,  that's exactly what she said.  "at least it's a fruit pie".

I've never seen the Carol Burnette take,  I loved it!!!   "I love queens!"   :laugh:

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3280 on: July 28, 2021, 04:54:00 PM »
I just watched the Carol Burnett skit as it was right after the Anita video. It was really great! I had not ever seen it either Lyle and Chuck.
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3281 on: July 28, 2021, 05:13:49 PM »
She's the best!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3282 on: July 29, 2021, 12:52:59 PM »

True!

Carol Burnett's show was on from 1967-1978!  Eleven years! Amazing!

I remember that when it first came on I was quite interested in seeing it, only to find out our CBS affiliate did not carry the program. I have no idea why and do not remember what they aired instead, but it was maddening to me. Couldn't do anything about it. It wasn't for several years later until they carried it (I guess they got the hint eventually, but that's when I went off to college and had limited access to watching TV. I have no idea now what I have or haven't seen of the entire series, as I know there were long stretches I watched the 1/2 hr. syndicated episodes that cut out all the music.

I have a friend that we try to visit 3-4 times a month (except, of course, last year) and he's a huge Carol Burnett fan and has all the DVD releases of her series that have been out. (It takes some kind of genius to figure it all out. None of the releases that are out there are in order of release date. Some releases overlap with some episodes. It's too crazy.) However, a few years ago he asked if each time I came over if I'd like to watch an episode with him, starting with the episodes in order of release date and, of course, I've never seen those before (the first five years were never syndicated in any way for some rights reason) and if I had've seen them it would've been in black and white. So what a treat for me. We just finished all of the released episodes of the first three seasons.

I know that young kids have always liked Carol Burnett, and I was thinking how odd it was to have, for the first several years anyway, on at 10pm at night. Dean Martin, yes! But Carol, no.  Of course, CBS thought it would bomb having a female host of a variety show.

I first came to Los Angeles in 1977 and that fall I saw two separate tapings of her variety show, from the 11th season. I'm afraid I don't remember much detail from either one I saw. That season Dick Van Dyke replaced Harvey Korman, who had left, and I remember thinking he just didn't fit in there. He didn't think so, either, and left midway through. I don't even recall Carol doing a Q&A with the audience. Who knows why? I do remember that one of the sketches they did was a take off on the movie San Francisco and they titled it Fran Sancisco. At that time I didn't have a TV set for about a year and I don't think I even got to see the ones I saw taped on TV! That may be one reason I don't remember much about what they did. I only remember being there.

In the 90's I saw a taping of one of her specials and I also saw her in a production of the musical Company at the Long Beach Civic Light Opera in, well, Long Beach. Duh, LOL! And on September 8th, 2001, on one of my usual morning Saturday visits to the Century City Shopping Center to see a movie or two, I went in Crate & Barrell to check something out and one of the few people in the store that morning was....Carol Burnett. She was by herself and talking to a sales person about packing and shipping whatever she was buying to someone as it was a gift. Normally I'd just remember that I once saw CB at C&B, but I remember the date specifically because it was three days before 9/11.

My friend who works at The Grill on the Alley in Beverly Hills, says that Carol is a frequent patron of the restaurant and that she is one of the nicest people ever. She often comes in with others like Steve Lawrence, who's a good friend, but my friend says Steve Lawrence has dementia and/or Alzheimers (?) and doesn't know where he is or who he is half the time.  :(   He's 86 and Carol is 88!

As for that Carol/Anita sketch...I'm going to ask my friend if he knows if that's one of the episodes he might have from Season 11, or try to find out if it was one of those 4 episodes from the 1979 Carol Burnett & Co. summer series. (Not to be confused with Burnett & Co., another brief series.) Early 1978 when they taped the last episodes seems a bit too early for the "Prop 6" intimation, but, then, summer of 1979 seems a bit late.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3283 on: July 29, 2021, 04:17:13 PM »
Thanks, as always, Lyle for all the CB info, fascinating reading!!  ;)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3284 on: July 29, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »
I know that young kids have always liked Carol Burnett, and I was thinking how odd it was to have, for the first several years anyway, on at 10pm at night. Dean Martin, yes! But Carol, no.  Of course, CBS thought it would bomb having a female host of a variety show.

Great post about CB, Lyle!   Thanks!    As for kids liking her,  she's appeared on Sesame Street and The Muppet Show, so that's most likely why kids gravitated to her.  While a lot of the jokes on Muppet Show went over kids' heads, they watched for the Muppets.