The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: LGBTQ related news and issues  (Read 599268 times)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: LGBTQ related news and issues
« Reply #3510 on: August 05, 2022, 09:54:39 AM »
the stupidity continues.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 12:31:08 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3511 on: August 05, 2022, 10:14:43 AM »
From a newsletter I subscribe to by Heather Cox Richardson, "Letters from an American"  -> https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/august-3-2022

Highly recommended - but only if you are capable of thinking and digesting facts vs a steady diet of "Fox Lies..." and other Russian propaganda.  Bolding is my emphasis...

"The construction of a world based on lies is a key component of authoritarians’ takeover of democratic societies. George Orwell’s 1984 explored a world in which those in power use language to replace reality, shaping the past and people’s daily experiences to cement their control. They are constantly reconstructing the past to justify their actions in the present. In Orwell’s dystopian fantasy, Winston Smith’s job is to rewrite history for the Ministry of Truth to reflect the changing interests of a mysterious cult leader, Big Brother, who wants power for its own sake and enforces loyalty through The Party’s propaganda and destruction of those who do not conform.

Political philosopher Hannah Arendt went further, saying that the lies of an authoritarian were designed not to persuade people, but to organize them into a mass movement. Followers would “believe everything and nothing,” Arendt wrote, “think that everything was possible and that nothing was true.” “The ideal subject” for such a dictator, Arendt wrote, was not those who were committed to an ideology, but rather “people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction…and the distinction between true and false…no longer exist.”

We are certainly seeing this in play TODAY in the GOP on a scale not seen likely since the North/South Civil War -  again about the control of "others" vs taking care of yourself.  Trump and his GOP cronies are "ring leaders" in this destruction.  Reaching the uneducated and willfully ignorant is just not possible - easily or at all as the Civil War proved.     Make no mistake Putin and his propaganda are behind a lot of this... as they wage a social war right here in our own boarders without firing a single shot using  frakking Facebook, Tiktok, Youtube,  and other media and as stealth delivery vehicles.

"...the Republican-dominated Senate Intelligence Committee concluded that “the Russian government engaged in an aggressive, multifaceted effort to influence, or attempt to influence, the outcome of the 2016 presidential election…by harming Hillary Clinton’s chances of success and supporting Donald Trump at the direction of the Kremlin.”
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 12:31:19 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3512 on: August 05, 2022, 10:57:23 AM »
the stupidity continues.

Example, from the article: Many of the people who voted to cut most of the funding to the library said they don’t believe it should close.

This article about it is worth reading, too; it talks about the necessity of voting in EVERY election:

https://bookriot.com/patmos-library-millage-denied/

Until there are equally loud supporters of public institutions to counter these narratives–and show up to the polls in primaries and elections which are heavily down-ballot initiatives and representation–expect to see this play out over and over.

800 votes in a county with 34% voter turnout is why this happened. 800 voters who bought into the narrative of grooming and indoctrination within a library where .015% of the materials have any LGBTQ+ themes.

What's happening in various places all over the country keeps bringing up things to me like the Salem witch trials (The Crucible), the infamous McMartin preschool case, where all the media coverage was generally skewed towards an uncritical acceptance of the prosecution's viewpoint, California's infamous gubernatorial campaign of 1934 and let's not leave out the rise of Nazi Germany.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 12:31:30 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3513 on: August 05, 2022, 06:04:41 PM »
Parts of Society, here in the USA at least, will NEVER be totally accepting of Gays, Lesbians, and all the rest of the LGBTQ+ groups......IMHO, you understand?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 12:31:41 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3514 on: August 05, 2022, 06:33:10 PM »
We'll keep fighting them then.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 12:31:54 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3515 on: August 05, 2022, 06:38:24 PM »
Parts of Society, here in the USA at least, will NEVER be totally accepting of Gays, Lesbians, and all the rest of the LGBTQ+ groups......IMHO, you understand?  ;D

Excuse me, but who exactly are you talking to and where do you think we've been for the last 50 years or so? After being put in Catholic Social Services as a child to be fixed I went to college in the Midwest in the 70s and daily had to deal with people screaming at me on the streets. I had people throw rocks and bottles at me on the street. When I moved to San Francisco I had someone pull a knife on me and call me a maricón (basically the f word in Spanish). I had friends fired from jobs and had to leave the states they lived in. And then I lived through an epidemic that killed about half of everyone I knew while the federal government ignored it.

So yeah, I think I probably have a really good idea as to how hated we are in America. My question would be: what's your point?

Do you think we should give up just because there are assholes out there? Because it seems unlikely I'm going to at this point. In my lifetime we've also had the sodomy laws overturned, gotten protease inhibitors that kept the remaining people who had HIV alive, gotten job protection for lgbtq people and seen same-sex marriage become legal. And that didn't happen because we gave up.

So I'm unclear - who exactly are you talking to and where do you think we've been all these years? We live in America too. Some of us moved thousands of miles in order to live our lives, but we're still in America. And I think we have an all too clear notion of the types of opposition and hatred we face.

I don't really need people to tell me that I face opposition. It's obvious every day.

Please clarify: are you just posting as a troll, or is there some point in telling us something that any out lgbtq+ person knows within weeks if not days of coming out?

Because if it's the former your trollish attitude has been noted, and if it is the later I fail to see the point.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 12:32:07 PM by CellarDweller115 »
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #3516 on: August 06, 2022, 04:36:18 PM »
Michael, why be mean? Read you own tagline. I'm giving MY opinion, that's all. I don't have to justify to you, or anyone for that matter, it's still a FREE Country here, no? You be you, I'll be me. Okay? I do wish you all the best in Life.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 12:32:18 PM by CellarDweller115 »

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3517 on: August 06, 2022, 05:34:30 PM »
Michael, why be mean? Read you own tagline. I'm giving MY opinion, that's all. I don't have to justify to you, or anyone for that matter, it's still a FREE Country here, no? You be you, I'll be me. Okay? I do wish you all the best in Life.  ;)

And what is the result of that opinion Jonn? That lgbtq+ people should go back into the closet because there are people who oppose them?

And there is an implication on that tagline as well. If we don't meet it can't be helped. Bye Jonn.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 12:33:00 PM by CellarDweller115 »
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3518 on: August 08, 2022, 12:34:34 PM »

Just a post to let you know the title of the thread has been changed to "LGBTQ related news and issues".

I have modified some posts to reflect the new title, so that when new posts are placed here, the new title will be reflected in the thread.

I did not modify any of the text in any posts.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3519 on: August 08, 2022, 03:41:56 PM »

Just a post to let you know the title of the thread has been changed to "LGBTQ related news and issues".

I have modified some posts to reflect the new title, so that when new posts are placed here, the new title will be reflected in the thread.

I did not modify any of the text in any posts.

Great change Chuck! Thanks for doing this. The old thread name was unclear and confusing.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3520 on: August 08, 2022, 04:14:24 PM »
5 things sexually active people need to know about Monkeypox (from the CDC):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf2x62i1_c8

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #3521 on: August 08, 2022, 05:44:57 PM »
I worry about Monkeypox, but wonder if the mainstream media will eventually just call it a GAY AFFLICTION??

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3522 on: August 08, 2022, 05:57:16 PM »
Not when more and more straight people get it.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #3523 on: August 08, 2022, 06:24:23 PM »
If they do, Fritz, if they do........... ;D

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3524 on: August 08, 2022, 06:29:14 PM »
Straight people are already getting Monkeypox.  The majority is gay and bisexual men, but straight men and women have tested positive for Monkeypox.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/08/05/1115859376/clearing-up-some-of-the-myths-that-have-popped-up-about-monkeypox