The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: LGBTQ related news and issues  (Read 704331 times)

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
Re: LGBTQ related news and issues
« Reply #3540 on: August 12, 2022, 03:53:05 PM »
I saw the A-league soccer player who plays for Adelaide, Josh Cavallo who came out last year interviewed by the drag queen Courtney Act. Coming out turn dout to be unproblematic for him.

He said as professional players, team members are trained not to react to slurs from spectators, but later in the discussion, he did say he found a homophobic slur by a spectator at one match hurtful. He said people including parents tell him all the time that the has changed their lives. Overall he came over as very happy.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3542 on: August 14, 2022, 08:52:30 AM »
Thanks, Michael. If the vaccine is ever available through Kaiser, I'll get it. But until then, I don't plan to worry too much about it.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3543 on: August 14, 2022, 10:36:26 AM »
Thanks, Michael. If the vaccine is ever available through Kaiser, I'll get it. But until then, I don't plan to worry too much about it.

Yes, I'm not particularly worried either. If you're maintaining 6 feet distance from strangers it seems an unlikely infection....

;)
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3545 on: August 14, 2022, 03:58:21 PM »
Hope people realize that the main reason why those in leadership positions want to close libraries is to keep people uneducated enough that they won't lose their votes.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3546 on: August 14, 2022, 04:25:56 PM »
If they can't see what's going on now, they won't see that.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3547 on: August 14, 2022, 04:35:36 PM »
It's very strange to have been working at libraries through all this. I knew by about 2005 that people were getting online and reading what could be charitably called weird. The notion that everyone is their own researcher, which grew in that decade, is a dangerous one indeed (especially if you don't know how to critique sources). This is particularly true when you approach research with your biases and then confirm them by picking your sources.

I do wonder what I would do if I were growing up in this environment now. I would probably try to get the hell out again, but it would have to be somewhere affordable (which cuts out a lot of both coasts).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3548 on: August 15, 2022, 06:56:27 AM »
It's very strange to have been working at libraries through all this. I knew by about 2005 that people were getting online and reading what could be charitably called weird. The notion that everyone is their own researcher, which grew in that decade, is a dangerous one indeed (especially if you don't know how to critique sources). This is particularly true when you approach research with your biases and then confirm them by picking your sources.

Which most people don't because, after all, if it's on the internet it has to be true. ...

But I guess my view here makes me one of the despised elitists.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3549 on: August 16, 2022, 10:49:19 AM »

I don't despise you, Jeff!  :)

Didn't people used to aspire to be an elite?

elite
A select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

Now people just resent elites instead of aspiring to be one, which you CAN in America. I could see if you were in a country where that wasn't possible.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3550 on: August 16, 2022, 11:14:42 AM »
I don't despise you, Jeff!  :)

Well, thank you--from one elite to another.  ;D

elite
A select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

Now people just resent elites instead of aspiring to be one, which you CAN in America. I could see if you were in a country where that wasn't possible.

I don't know. Unquestionably elites are resented by some of American society--it's always been that way--but I sorta think "resent" doesn't go far enough for the followers of TGOS--or at least a for a lot of them.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3551 on: August 16, 2022, 04:32:23 PM »
I agree, I think it goes deeper than that now.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3552 on: August 16, 2022, 07:13:06 PM »
Which most people don't because, after all, if it's on the internet it has to be true. ...

But I guess my view here makes me one of the despised elitists.

Perhaps the problem might be related to the failure of th education system to teach critical thinking.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3553 on: August 16, 2022, 08:21:10 PM »
Last week, a fake notice on official letterhead appeared in the elevators of a building in Melbourne housing barristers' chambers. It announced a new committee and was falloff homophobic slurs. The Bar Association is investigating. They organised an act of solidarity with LGBTIQ+ people. I tis reported that 200-300 barrister and judges attended.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3554 on: August 18, 2022, 01:00:37 AM »
A member of the Victorian State parliament has spoken against the Mt Lilydale Mercy College in the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne's discrimination against a Year 12 student.

The Catholic school will not show the student's film in the end-0f-year showcase of students' productions nor will they put it on the website with the productions of all her classmates because it is a same-sex film that ends with a lesbian kiss.

The teacher allowed the student to go ahead with the project because she was so passionate about it and the film will be submitted for assessment for the Victorian Certificate of Education. On this basis, the student thought the school would be OK with it.