The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What period of gay history would you like to discuss first?

The fifties and sixties - before Stonewall
9 (50%)
Early Gay Liberation 1969 - 1975
2 (11.1%)
Political awakening 1975 - 1981
0 (0%)
The onset of AIDS 1981 - 1996
6 (33.3%)
Post Protease Inhibitors 1996 - Present
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 24, 2007, 01:59:08 AM

Author Topic: Gay History -- How We Got Here  (Read 418115 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: Gay History -- How We Got Here
« Reply #1575 on: July 15, 2019, 03:44:58 PM »
What does this mean...non-paper note?

Is there a non-paper £50 note and a paper one?

They are gradually introducing polymer banknotes. So far we have new £5 and £10 notes. Several countries already have polymer notes.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #1576 on: July 15, 2019, 11:48:08 PM »
Sorry not gay history but I must inform
Modern polymer banknotes were first developed by the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA), Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) and The University of Melbourne. They were first issued as currency in Australia during 1988 (coinciding with Australia's bicentennial year). In 1996 Australia switched completely to polymer banknotes. Other countries that have switched completely to polymer banknotes include: Brunei, Canada, New Zealand (1999), Papua New Guinea, Romania and Vietnam. The latest countries to introduce polymer banknotes into general circulation include: the United Kingdom, Nigeria, Cape Verde, Chile, The Gambia, Nicaragua, Trinidad and Tobago, Mexico, Maldives, Mauritania, Botswana, São Tomé and Príncipe, North Macedonia, the Russian Federation, Armenia, Solomon Islands, Egypt, the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) and Samoa.

The news about the UK £50 note is great.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #1577 on: July 16, 2019, 12:30:27 AM »
Very well covered on our Evening National News

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1578 on: July 16, 2019, 01:33:04 AM »
That’s good to know, Brian.

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #1579 on: July 24, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »
With Number 96, Australia brought queer people to TV decades before anyone else

Once upon a time Australian TV led the world in shattering LGBT taboos—with the world’s first regular gay character in 1972, followed by a trans character and gay kiss

During last month’s 50th anniversary celebration of the Stonewall riots, many historians looked at how the modern gay rights movement influenced pop culture.

We learned about music, books and cinema which reflected societal progress—but nothing brought LGBT representation into lounge rooms better than television did. And no country was quicker to do it than Australia, through 1970s nightly TV series that presented the world’s first gay couple (fully accepted by and integrated into their community), transgender character (played by a transgender actress, Carlotta) and gay kiss. Why then, does Australia never get credit for these world-first milestones?

America’s first gay kiss didn’t happen until 1991 on LA Law. Ellen then came out on her self-titled sitcom in 1997, and the following year Will and Grace became a huge hit. Over in the UK, they are so proud of Anna Friel’s gay kiss on Brookside in 1994, it was replayed for the whole world during London’s Olympics Opening Ceremony. Other key moments include Coronation Street’s first transgender character Hayley (played by cisgender actress Julie Hesmondhalgh), and 2000s game-changing series Queer As Folk—also remade by the US.

Australian TV, however, had shown all of those things first, and more than two decades before the rest of the world.

It all started in 1972 when the country, in the midst of its sexual revolution, got hooked on a new prime-time TV drama/soap opera called Number 96—set in a small, four-storey block of flats at 96 Lindsay Street in inner Sydney, hence the title—which was launched with the infamous tagline: “Tonight, Australian TV loses its virginity.”

David Sale, the creator of Number 96, remembers talking about a gay character with producer Bill Harmon who said, “Sure, but give me homosexuality without any deviation.” That led to the groundbreaking character of law student Don Finlayson (Joe Hasham), above. The Hon Justice Michael Kirby, who was a law student himself back then, watched the “amazing, challenging” series from night one.

“The gay character was not ashamed of himself, he was talented,” writes the former High Court Judge in his foreword to David Sale’s autobiography Number 96, Mavis and Me. “Everyone in the apartment block looked to him for wisdom, calm and leadership. I have always thought this presentation of a gay hero to a mass audience did more for the acceptance of sexual minorities in Australia than all the solemn speeches of judges and professors or the worthy talk programs on the ABC.”

The show ran five nights a week for five years, with 1218 episodes, and featured a multi-racial cast, had frequent nude scenes (some full frontal), a gang rape, adultery, drug use, racism and a long-running gay male relationship that drew no particular interest from any of the show’s other characters—the world's first to include a portrayal of a gay couple fully accepted by and integrated into their community.

Cast members were amazed to learn the show was screening in some overseas countries (Bettina Welch reported back at seeing it dubbed in Italy) but despite a short late night run in Toronto, the content was far too explicit for the US and UK networks of the day.

The first 584 episodes were produced in black and white, and switched to colour when it was introduced in Australia in 1975.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jul/15/number-96-to-the-box-when-it-comes-to-sexuality-australian-tv-showed-it-all-well-before-anywhere-else

...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1580 on: April 13, 2020, 04:37:31 PM »

I discovered this 1969 photo taken on Hollywood Blvd. in Hollywood. The searchlight and a line of mostly, presumably, gay men waiting to get into the New-View Theatre suggests the possible Premiere or Opening of the film The Gay Deceivers.

Notice what's written under the movie's title on the marquee!

IN ABSOLUTELY DIVINE COLOR!   ;D

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1581 on: April 30, 2020, 03:38:34 PM »
I thought you might be interested in my latest article from the B.A.R. If someone wants to post it over in the Gay History thread I'd be fine with that. For those who don't know I've been writing at the B.A.R. for almost 9 years now. Long ago Tom (from the forum) suggested that I should write about gay history, and I took him seriously.

https://www.ebar.com/bartab/barchive/291335
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1582 on: April 30, 2020, 03:47:21 PM »
^^^^^
Great article Michael and one the federal government needs to pay attention to!! Thanks for posting it over for us!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1583 on: April 30, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »
Thanks, Linda and Michael!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1584 on: April 30, 2020, 05:12:52 PM »
^^^^^
Great article Michael and one the federal government needs to pay attention to!! Thanks for posting it over for us!!

Thanks a lot Linda! It took years for the Federal government to step up regarding AIDS and the lack of interest in minority populations has wound up giving us an epidemic which has hung on years beyond what it should have. I don't have a whole lot of hope that this government will pay attention, but maybe non-governmental organizations will know where to send funds now - for instance with the sort of decimation we are seeing in the Navajo Nation. It's very similar to the pockets of AIDS transmission that still are raging in the deep South (where over half of new AIDS cases now occur).
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1585 on: April 30, 2020, 08:01:19 PM »
Thanks a lot Linda! It took years for the Federal government to step up regarding AIDS and the lack of interest in minority populations has wound up giving us an epidemic which has hung on years beyond what it should have. I don't have a whole lot of hope that this government will pay attention, but maybe non-governmental organizations will know where to send funds now - for instance with the sort of decimation we are seeing in the Navajo Nation. It's very similar to the pockets of AIDS transmission that still are raging in the deep South (where over half of new AIDS cases now occur).

It was a very good article Michael, well written (as always), and had so much pertinent information for what is going on today. It helps me understand things better.

I agree that the current government is not going to do a damn thing, much less learn from the past, especially when it doesn't listen to the present, or listen to anything, for that matter.

We are just not learning from our past, or not being allowed to learn from our past. Of course not many people are familiar with the Aids crisis, like you and so many in the community, and this is a shame, as from what you have written and from the history, I think things could be learned.
But I don't think this will be the case. And here we are.
... Kierkegaard

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1586 on: May 01, 2020, 12:55:54 AM »
Thanks Michael. I read it on FB and listened to those sickening recordings, and have just re-read it. Interesting comparison, and several facts I hadn’t known, like the huge number of deaths from AIDS that are still occurring.

I couldn’t find an equivalent figure for the UK, but what did surprise me was, with over 90% of new cases of people who accessed HIV care (96000 in 2018) acquiring it from sexual transmission, the percentages for heterosexual sex and sex between men were almost identical.

https://www.nat.org.uk/we-inform/HIV-statistics/UK-statistics

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:14:17 AM by Sara B »

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1587 on: May 01, 2020, 07:57:50 AM »
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1588 on: May 01, 2020, 07:58:20 AM »

Very interesting & intriguing article.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #1589 on: May 10, 2020, 09:56:25 PM »
'OutRage! turns 30: LGBT activists seek truth over police role' is an article by Owen Bowcott in The Guardian today, 11 May 2020, outlining the history of the organisation and its current campaign to investigate police spies inside it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:09:22 PM by tfferg »