The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What period of gay history would you like to discuss first?

The fifties and sixties - before Stonewall
9 (50%)
Early Gay Liberation 1969 - 1975
2 (11.1%)
Political awakening 1975 - 1981
0 (0%)
The onset of AIDS 1981 - 1996
6 (33.3%)
Post Protease Inhibitors 1996 - Present
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 24, 2007, 01:59:08 AM

Author Topic: Gay History -- How We Got Here  (Read 518244 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: Gay History -- How We Got Here
« Reply #1905 on: June 26, 2022, 03:34:40 PM »
An interesting find, Michael!

Thanks Tony! It got me off on a whole tangent I'm afraid!
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1906 on: June 26, 2022, 03:35:58 PM »
Happy Anniversary to Obergefell v. Hodges. I hope you remain the law of the land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obergefell_v._Hodges
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #1907 on: June 26, 2022, 03:40:15 PM »
Thanks Tony! It got me off on a whole tangent I'm afraid!

A fruitful one, Michael1

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1908 on: June 26, 2022, 04:17:13 PM »
Happy Anniversary to Obergefell v. Hodges. I hope you remain the law of the land.

fingers crossed!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1909 on: June 26, 2022, 04:28:12 PM »

Amen.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1910 on: June 27, 2022, 05:25:39 AM »
^^^^ I really, really hope the lying insanity stops here.  These current Justices have just unleashed another bitter war into the public realm that the country did not need.  Sadly, Thomas has already foreshadowed his path in his statements with Dobbs.  Take that, plus I read this somewhere recently that, "Chief Roberts has lost control of SCOTUS to Thomas and those *@(*@* "originalists" so they will continue to "do as they please..."  Even more troubling and sadly, it's also my current understanding there's little anyone can do in today's Senate environment - even though at least 2 of the 3 recent appointments blatantly lied to congress, under oath, and mislead key Senators (whom I'm sure now feel thoroughly duped) to get that lifetime confirmation.  And let's not even remember "Anita Hill" ...  :(   V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1911 on: June 27, 2022, 06:56:50 AM »

Somebody has to bring suit. Probably some a_ _hole fundie county clerk who doesn't want to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple because it violates their religious freedom.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1912 on: June 27, 2022, 09:21:52 AM »
In the NYT today the analysis was that Obergefell was unlikely to be challenged, because Kavanaugh and Roberts would not be on board for that, so they wouldn't have a majority (remember KBJ comes on board with the next court, so it's 6-4 and if 2 of them flip). Apparently Kavanaugh specifically addressed Obergefell in his opinion, saying it was unrelated).

They went on to say that the next most contentious decisions would be on affirmative action, election laws and business rights. They're hearing cases from UNC and Harvard on affirmative action, an Alabama case about gerrymandering and a case challenging clean water restrictions and the EPA. Because after all, if you're going to allow the earth to become a charred cinder, who will need clean water?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1913 on: June 27, 2022, 11:08:44 AM »
In the NYT today the analysis was that Obergefell was unlikely to be challenged, because Kavanaugh and Roberts would not be on board for that, so they wouldn't have a majority (remember KBJ comes on board with the next court, so it's 6-4 and if 2 of them flip). Apparently Kavanaugh specifically addressed Obergefell in his opinion, saying it was unrelated).

A short while ago our rector became engaged to his boyfriend. Yesterday I said to him, "I wouldn't go for a long engagement if I were you." He replied that they expect to marry next year.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1914 on: June 27, 2022, 12:18:04 PM »
A short while ago our rector became engaged to his boyfriend. Yesterday I said to him, "I wouldn't go for a long engagement if I were you." He replied that they expect to marry next year.

Good advice.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1915 on: June 27, 2022, 12:21:44 PM »
[...] even though at least 2 of the 3 recent appointments blatantly lied to congress, under oath, and mislead key Senators (whom I'm sure now feel thoroughly duped) to get that lifetime confirmation. [...]

If they feel duped it's only to save face with their constituents. All you had to know during the hearings for those justices was to have listened to the Cretin during his campaign: "I am going to appoint Supreme Court Justices who will overturn Roe vs. Wade."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1916 on: June 27, 2022, 12:25:22 PM »

I don't think trusting Kavanaugh and/or Roberts about Obergefell is warranted.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1917 on: June 27, 2022, 01:02:25 PM »
Because one can now, I was watching parts of different gay pride parades that were held in different U.S. cities yesterday and earlier in June. And except for the locations they are pretty much all the same. IMO. (Is that a good thing?) I liked seeing the different locations. Each location had some local support of interest in the parade, like Hollywood having the giant Oscar statue (wearing a pride colored feather boa) in AMPAS's contingent and St. Louis had the Oscar Mayer Weiner car in it! Of course, New York's and California's parades were all quite sunny and hot, but the poor people of St. Louis were getting drenched.

For some reason, most of the St. Louis parade had the camera set looking down (?) at an intersection where it had been dug up and metal steel slabs placed over the road construction. It was not an attractive vantage point. Some other cameras, though, had some nice long shots of throngs of people along the streets. And nice to see because of all that drenching rain. Lots of colorful rainbow umbrellas were out because of it, though!

Anyone else watch any pride parade selections. Hulu streamed the L.A. and NYC parades on their platform, first time I believe. It's only been a few years ago when a local any major television channel started airing the parades here in Los Angeles.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1918 on: June 27, 2022, 01:53:18 PM »
I don't think trusting Kavanaugh and/or Roberts about Obergefell is warranted.

I believe Roberts dissented from the Obergefell opinion.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #1919 on: June 27, 2022, 04:25:54 PM »
Because one can now, I was watching parts of different gay pride parades that were held in different U.S. cities yesterday and earlier in June. And except for the locations they are pretty much all the same. IMO. (Is that a good thing?) I liked seeing the different locations. Each location had some local support of interest in the parade, like Hollywood having the giant Oscar statue (wearing a pride colored feather boa) in AMPAS's contingent and St. Louis had the Oscar Mayer Weiner car in it! Of course, New York's and California's parades were all quite sunny and hot, but the poor people of St. Louis were getting drenched.

For some reason, most of the St. Louis parade had the camera set looking down (?) at an intersection where it had been dug up and metal steel slabs placed over the road construction. It was not an attractive vantage point. Some other cameras, though, had some nice long shots of throngs of people along the streets. And nice to see because of all that drenching rain. Lots of colorful rainbow umbrellas were out because of it, though!

Anyone else watch any pride parade selections. Hulu streamed the L.A. and NYC parades on their platform, first time I believe. It's only been a few years ago when a local any major television channel started airing the parades here in Los Angeles.

Pride parades are banned in Turkey. On the news last night, I saw riot police bashing marchers up.