The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What period of gay history would you like to discuss first?

The fifties and sixties - before Stonewall
9 (50%)
Early Gay Liberation 1969 - 1975
2 (11.1%)
Political awakening 1975 - 1981
0 (0%)
The onset of AIDS 1981 - 1996
6 (33.3%)
Post Protease Inhibitors 1996 - Present
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 24, 2007, 01:59:08 AM

Author Topic: Gay History -- How We Got Here  (Read 518265 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Gay History -- How We Got Here
« Reply #1590 on: May 29, 2020, 02:40:52 PM »

Also posted in current news...

Noteworthy...

Dr. Anthony Fauci on His ‘Dear, Deep Friendship’ With Larry Kramer

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/larry-kramer-tony-fauci-aids-1234618629/

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1591 on: July 15, 2020, 02:21:42 PM »
I'm posting this here instead of the general news thread, because I can remember this defense being used in the past.

Colorado bans gay or transgender "panic defense"

By: Colette Bordelon

Gov. Jared Polis signed four bills into law on Monday designed to protect the rights of the LGBTQ+ community.

The bills included coverage for HIV/AIDS prevention medications, a new process for getting government documents for one's gender identity, and a ban on gay panic or transgender panic defenses.

News5 took a closer look at SB20-221, which bans the use of a gay or transgender panic defense in the courtroom.

"The gay or transgender panic defense is when someone claims that they had a reasonable fear of a person because of their sexual orientation or gender, that made that person somehow predatory, or somehow a person who you should be afraid of. And so, they react with violence, they try to justify that violent reaction based on who the victim is, rather than their words or actions," said Amanda Gall, a sexual assault resource prosecutor with the Colorado District Attorneys' Council.

Some of the bill language states that these kinds of justifications for violent actions appeal to irrational fears and hatred. It goes on to say that legally sanctioned discrimination against sexual orientation or gender identity must end. Gall said the council substantially participated in the writing of this bill. She also said the 22 elected district attorneys are in support of the legislation.

https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-colorado/colorado-bans-gay-or-transgender-panic-defense-in-courtrooms

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1592 on: July 15, 2020, 06:24:27 PM »
Stonewall Inn, the iconic site of the 1969 riots, may be forced to shut down

Alexander Kacala
TODAY•June 26, 2020

The uprising that took place at The Stonewall Inn 51 years ago this week was the spark that set off a powder keg, paving the way for acceptance and equality of gay, lesbian and transgender people in the United States and around the world.

Coined as the birthplace of the modern LGBTQ rights movement, Stonewall, in New York City's West Village neighborhood, has operated as both a bar, serving as an oasis where revelers and tourists can celebrate (especially during Pride month in June) and an iconic site. The space was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 2000.

Now the coronavirus pandemic, which has already shuttered thousands of restaurants and bars across the country, is threatening to permanently close the legendary bar.

The Stonewall Inn, which has been owned by Kurt Kelly and Stacy Lentz since 2006, has been shuttered for more than three months. On June 13, they started a GoFundMe page.

"We are reaching out because like many families and small businesses around the world," the owner's GoFundMe page reads. "The Stonewall Inn is struggling."

https://news.yahoo.com/stonewall-inn-iconic-1969-riots-222200859.html

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1593 on: August 04, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »

This photo was acquired by the Mazer Lesbian Archives in West Hollywood.

An August 1955 photo shows lesbian patrons posing inside the Green Door bar, on Lankershim Blvd. in North Hollywood. Until this photo was donated to the Mazer Lesbian Archives, no LGBT historian had ever heard of the Green Door. The photo is also notable because the women are freely posing, which was rare during a time of police harassment.

This paragraph shows why LGBT history is often hidden:

Early records of LGBT gathering places are sketchy. Police used to routinely raid gay and lesbian bars. As a result, people didn’t keep things that might associate them with those places. To buy some protection for the bar and its patrons, bar owners often paid off police officers, either with cash or sex or both.     Sad.

The most striking thing in the above is "no one had ever heard of the Green Door." Apparently there were several photos donated to the archives. I look at that photo and wonder what the colors were, wonder what they watched on that TV. What the sign means on the upper left...the bottom part looks like it says Eastern 40. There's another smaller sign that looks like an artist's pallette. Is there any way to decipher what it says?

Nice to see them smiling in the photo.  :)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1594 on: August 10, 2020, 06:27:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

I received an email from Gregory Hinton today. Some of you may remember and had met Gregory when he presented Beyond Brokeback at the Autry Museum in conjunction with his Out West series. It was also presented in Chicago and several other places as well. Gregory has been a long time supporter of the forum.

He has written a new play based on Lynn Riggs, (1899-1954), the forgotten gay, Cherokee playwright and poet. Lynn Riggs play, Green Grow the Lilacs, is the basis for the musical Oklahoma!.

I asked if I could share this and he said absolutely. As he states in the email, there will be a Facebook live streaming of the play on Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 7 PM CDT (8 PM EDT, 6 PM MDT, and 5 PM PDT). The link is below. I hope you can attend. Here is his email.

Dear Friends of Out West,

Oscar Hammerstein once wrote that "Lynn Riggs and Green Grow the Lilacs are the very soul of Oklahoma!"  In their first collaboration, Rigg's folk-play, Green Grow the Lilacs. (1931) was adapted by Rodgers and Hammerstein into the sensational musical evergreen, Oklahoma!. (1943) 

Lynn Riggs, (1899-1954), the forgotten gay, Cherokee playwright and poet, is the subject of my new solo play, More Sky - The Story of Lynn Riggs.  Commissioned for The Lynn Riggs Theatre in Tulsa, a More Sky Facebook Live Streaming (https://www.facebook.com/events/dennis-r-neill-equality-center/more-sky-the-story-of-lynn-riggs/720644015382829/) before an invited, socially distanced audience is set for Thursday, August 20th, 7 PM CDT.

Oklahoma's Russ Tallchief, a much admired Osage actor and playwright will play Riggs. Pat Hobbs, Artistic Director for the Lynn Riggs Theatre will direct. And I will be there.

One year ago, the Lynn Riggs Memorial Mural at the theatre was desecrated by vandals. Vandalism and intimidation against community theatres offering diverse fare is on the rise.  In the spate of dissonant news rolling out of Tulsa this year; and darkened theaters everywhere. I see the staging of More Sky at the Lynn Riggs Theatre as a great win!

I hope this finds you safe and well. I look forward to when we meet face to face again...

Best,

Gregory

Gregory Hinton, Playwright,
MORE SKY - The Lynn Riggs Story

"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1595 on: September 25, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »
QueerX Festival Announces Lineup & Debuts 24/7 Live TV Channel for LGBT History Month

by TV News Desk Sep. 24, 2020 

The first queer global streaming TV network, Revry, honors National LGBT History Month in October with the premiere of the 5th annual QueerX festival brought to you by Lexus (Oct. 1-31). Celebrating LGBTQ+ music, film, politics, and culture, the festival-which has been touted as the queer SXSW (Billboard, Flaunt Magazine)-will take a unique approach to its screening and panel programming this year by going virtual, live, and free. The 2020 event-taking place 3 weeks before the national election-will revolve around the theme "Rise Up" and will drive political participation through its screenings, panels, and activations.

Revry presents QueerX TV-a free 24/7 TV channel through the month of October which will host all of the festival's "Official Selections" including international LGBTQ+ short films, digital series, and music videos. Audiences will have the opportunity to screen all entries and vote, in real time, on their category favorites. The globally streamed QueerX TV channel will also host other exclusive programming for the festival including Revry's newest POC-driven panel series, Amplify Voices (promo here), which explores the intersectionality of black and queer identity through the lens of entertainment, sports, politics, and allyship. Other programming for QueerX 2020 will include virtual Happy Hours and its annual Powerhouse Industry Pitchfest presented by Final Draft-giving creators the rare opportunity to pitch projects one-on-one to top industry producers and production companies.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/QueerX-Festival-Announces-Lineup-Debuts-247-Live-TV-Channel-for-LGBT-History-Month-20200924

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #1596 on: September 28, 2020, 08:37:23 PM »
I see there's controversy in France over a petition urging the president to have the remains of the poets Arthur Rimbaud and Paul Verlaine who were lovers for a while reburied in the Pantheon

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1597 on: September 28, 2020, 08:42:24 PM »
I see there's controversy in France over a petition urging the president to have the remains of the poets Arthur Rimbaud and Paul Verlaine who were lovers for a while reburied in the Pantheon

Interesting, I had not heard that.

I did find a link to the story.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/28/calls-for-arthur-rimbaud-paul-verlaine-reburied-together-pantheon-paris

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1598 on: October 03, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »
Celebrating LGBTQ sports history: Out gay athlete trailblazers

By Dawn Ennis Oct 3, 2020

Before many of the publicly out gay male athletes we recognize today, there were three male athletes who came out between the late ‘70s and mid ‘90s who helped blaze a trail for those who would come after them.

In the United States, Major League Baseball player Glenn Burke was out to his teammates with both the Los Angeles Dodgers and Oakland Athletics before retiring from the sport.

Justin Fashanu came out publicly in England’s Premier League years before his career came to an end in a very sad suicide.

Professional rugby player Ian Roberts came out publicly in Australia in a culture that has trailed behind that of the United States in acceptance to gay athletes and issues like same-sex marriage.

https://www.outsports.com/2020/10/3/21499733/lgbtq-sports-history-ian-roberts-glenn-burke-justin-fashanu-out-gay-athlete-trailblazers

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1599 on: October 03, 2020, 02:41:44 PM »
Glenn Burke

It's probably a very minuscule chance, but nevertheless, there's a chance I saw him play.

He was with the Los Angeles Dodgers from 1976-78. He even played in the 1977 World Series.
In the spring of 1978 I went to my first ever couple MLB (Dodger) games that April with some
friends at work. Sometime that spring Glenn Burke was traded to Oakland. He played 16 games
with the Dodgers before being traded. That's about it for narrowing things down any further.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1600 on: October 03, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #1601 on: October 04, 2020, 06:01:27 PM »
The Glamour Boys, by Chris Bryant, a book to be published shortly in the UK reveals hidden history omitted by Churchill and others in their accounts.

A number of homosexual and bisexual Members of the British Parliament in the 1930s regularly visited Berlin in the 1930s to enjoy the queer nightlife there. Observing Hitler's territorial ambitions, the persecution of the Jews. and the murder of homosexuals on the Night of the Long Knives, they warned the British government and voted against Nevlle Chamberlain's policy of appeasement and advocated rearmament. Chamberlain dismissed their concerns and derided them as "the Glamour Boys".

The Glamour Boys served in the armed forces during World War 2 and at least one was killed.

Chris Bryant is the Labour MP for Rhondda. Hi book is based on extensive documentary evidence.

He warns, "Progress is never won permanently. It is not linear..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1602 on: October 04, 2020, 06:14:15 PM »
I did a double take when I read the name Chris Bryant. This is the Chris Bryant I know:  :D

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/-/media/Images/SBD-Photos/2015/04/21/Kris-Bryant.ashx

Glamour Boy himself!

*edited to change copywritten image to a link*
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:04:13 AM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1603 on: October 05, 2020, 07:27:31 AM »
The Glamour Boys, by Chris Bryant, a book to be published shortly in the UK reveals hidden history omitted by Churchill and others in their accounts.

A number of homosexual and bisexual Members of the British Parliament in the 1930s regularly visited Berlin in the 1930s to enjoy the queer nightlife there. Observing Hitler's territorial ambitions, the persecution of the Jews. and the murder of homosexuals on the Night of the Long Knives, they warned the British government and voted against Nevlle Chamberlain's policy of appeasement and advocated rearmament. Chamberlain dismissed their concerns and derided them as "the Glamour Boys".

The Glamour Boys served in the armed forces during World War 2 and at least one was killed.

Chris Bryant is the Labour MP for Rhondda. Hi book is based on extensive documentary evidence.

Interesting. I didn’t know any of that.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1604 on: October 05, 2020, 09:55:32 AM »

WOW I didn't know this either. I think this would be a great book to read! Thanks for the review, Tony.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard